Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Mah Sekrit Projact

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Mah Sekrit Projact
Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I could go on the road again. But I don't think my character is getting anywhere... I'm only carrying about 8 kg, but I seem to be stuck.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Timorg said:

I had notice that the 2nd last journey took way too long.

The travel speed calculation was all wrong; somewhere, I interpreted a float value as kilograms instead of grams; so where the intention was to halve the travel speed for every 8 kg carried, it halved it for every 8 grams. Since most characters were carrying at least a few hundred grams, the resulting speeds were practically zero.
The only problem with the bugfix is that in fixing existing travels, I just set everything to 36, which means some travels have probably reversed directions.

Quote:

But in good news, I have found my new home of "Rock Pass", It has taken me days of searching, but I have found somewhere to set up a settlement. Will there a way to put up a sign, or do I just have to tell everyone that arrives, where they are.

At some point, you will be able to make signs. For that, I need a mechanism to add parameters to project, so that for things like signs, landmarks, notes, but also building and ships, you can enter text that should be put on the resulting object. It's in the pipeline, but needs a bit more thinking before I start implementing it.

On a side note, I noticed that you named your character after yourself; the idea is to separate players from their characters, so that others won't be able to tell who is playing which character (it's part of the "Capital Rule", which I pretty much intend to "borrow" from CantrII).

Quote:

Edit: Thanks for the favicon as well.

You're welcome. And anyone starts trying to deduce information from that image, or the background image: That island, although generated by the same algorithm as the in-game terrain, is not used in the game itself.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

I looked up the Capital Rule, having never played CantrII, and it was basically what I expected. All characters played by an individual need to be individual characters with no information cross over. Naming a character after myself does not come close to breaking the rule. I am not sure I could play characters totally separate from each other, which is why in this sort of game I only ever have a single character.

Usually when I start a game, I create a male Timorg character and use them to understand the dynamics, then create a character with a totally different name to play, unfortunately I have become attached to this Timorg, and if characters only live to 100 years, I am going to very upset when he perishes in 180 days.

But I understand the world needs to keep on turning and long lived characters will reduce the vibrancy of the world.

Is vibrancy the right word in that context?

Edit:
But this is your game, you make the rules. :) I really do like where my character is going.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

One of my characters was with someone, but that person left, and now he's along. For now, I'm going to have him make paper.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Timorg said:

I looked up the Capital Rule, having never played CantrII, and it was basically what I expected. All characters played by an individual need to be individual characters with no information cross over. Naming a character after myself does not come close to breaking the rule. I am not sure I could play characters totally separate from each other, which is why in this sort of game I only ever have a single character.

I consider this an edge case - if there were no way for players to communicate outside the game, then naming characters after yourself wouldn't be problematic. But now, we have a character named Timorg, and a player named Timorg, and both are potentionally known to other players. So when one of my characters encounters a "Timorg" character, I (the player) knows it's you, and I can abuse this information (although that would be a Capital Rule breach on my part, too). Part of the Capital Rule in cantrII also says that your character cannot give other characters any personal information about you as the player: you are strictly forbidden to post your username, e-mail, IM ID, and anything else that could allow people to contact you, while playing your character.

Quote:

Usually when I start a game, I create a male Timorg character and use them to understand the dynamics, then create a character with a totally different name to play, unfortunately I have become attached to this Timorg, and if characters only live to 100 years, I am going to very upset when he perishes in 180 days.

But I understand the world needs to keep on turning and long lived characters will reduce the vibrancy of the world.

I haven't made up my mind about dying of age, but I'm leaning toward "yes". OTOH, characters in cantrII did not die of age (they kind of planned this, but haven't implemented it yet), and this never posed any apparent problems - there were some people who were "very old", but because most players didn't have the stamina to consistently role-play a character for more than half an Earth year, there weren't too many of them. Most characters were abandoned before age 30, and after that, very few proceeded past 60.

If I do implement it, it's not going to be a fixed age, but rather an increasing chance of spontaneously dying, so that dying of age at 40 is extremely unlikely, but living more than, say 120 years, is even more unlikely.

Oh, and in some other news: There is now one dead body in the game. You can't bury it yet, and your characters won't die unless you make me kill them (through SQL).

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

The list of projects is growing. I hope it will be better organized in the future so navigating to find the project you want wont be cumbersome.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Yes, I know. A project type search box is an absolute must, and coming soon. The drop-down is just a quick solution for now, so that I can have projects at all. I'm even thinking of adding a detailed wiki-like library of all item and project types in the game, so that you could look up things, e.g. suppose you want to make a small horse carriage, you could search for that in the library, and it would tell you something like:

Small Horse Carriage

Land vehicle.
Weight capacity: 1200 kg
Seats: 3
Travel speed (empty): 60 px/h
Travel speed (fully loaded): 30 px/h

Project required to build: "Assembling a Small Horse Carriage"

And then you could click the project link, and it would tell you what ingredients and tools you need, how long it takes, and what the output is - pretty much what the current "create project" page does, only that from there, you could click further to the library pages of each material, tool, etc.

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Yeah the wiki is a must. It's way too troublesome to get an overview of what you need otherwise.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

I will have to think of a new name for my town, fortunately as no one knows my characters name, or the location of Rock Pass.

I will just have to tell them some thing different from Timorg, if anyone ever inquires about what my name is. :) (Unless a character name change is possible.)

My mother is the only person that uses my real name, so doing that in character, wont be something unique for me.

Something I have been thinking about is funding this project. Paying/donating customers could have more of the pages auto-update regularly, or pages could update more often. That is the only feature that I can think of at the moment, that will not balance the game in the favour of paying customers, but still give a reward to them. I used to pay the $1 a month to tribal wars to not have the adverts.

Although, I am sure you have something in mind to fund this project.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Timorg said:

I will have to think of a new name for my town, fortunately as no one knows my characters name, or the location of Rock Pass.

Quote:

I will just have to tell them some thing different from Timorg, if anyone ever inquires about what my name is. :) (Unless a character name change is possible.)

It's not possible yet, but it's one of the thing I'll add sooner or later.

Quote:

Something I have been thinking about is funding this project. Paying/donating customers could have more of the pages auto-update regularly, or pages could update more often. That is the only feature that I can think of at the moment, that will not balance the game in the favour of paying customers, but still give a reward to them. I used to pay the $1 a month to tribal wars to not have the adverts.

Although, I am sure you have something in mind to fund this project.

A quicker auto-load DOES put paying customers at a favour: they know things earlier than others, even though it's only a matter of seconds.
I was thinking about selling in-game items with purely decorative value, such as stickers, paintings, unusual clothing, etc. The only in-game advantage of this would be that if such items become desirable, you could sell them for a profit; or if a culture were to develop in-game where people wearing "special" clothes are worshipped.
Increasing the character cap for paying customers would be another option: As long as the "Capital Rule" is obeyed, having more characters doesn't give you any advantage, but you can still get more out of the game.

On a side note, if anyone is interested in the source code (a few people mentioned), PM me.

---
---

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I looked up the Capital Rule, and something about it bothers me. On the site where I found it, here, it has some guidelines under the main description of the rule, and I have a problem with two of them:

Quote:

You are not allowed to have more than one character in the same organization.
You are not allowed to have more than two characters on the same location.

It seems to me that you would have to use out of character information, namely your knowledge of your own identity as the player, to follow these guidelines. In-game, the characters may both have good reasons to be in an organization, or to be in the same location. And you'd have to go against role-playing to avoid that.

I don't know how important these guidelines are considered relative to the Capital Rule, though.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I just thought of a nice feature to have! Some way to take notes for our characters so that we don't break the capital rule by mistake, in case there's a fact that only my first character should know, and I make the mistake of acting like my second character knows it. We could also use it to store some history for the character (like maybe have the character's back story there, and maybe the long term goal of the character, etc.). Basically a storage of info that only we should know.

I mean, if we get big enough that we have groups or something, and a group has a password system in place, it would be silly for a character to say the password to a member because I forgot that character didn't interact with the group yet. Even more if the character who I said it to was the one who told another character the password.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

You could use ingame paper to keep notes, make a diary or something.

That brings up another thought I used to have about notes. Sometimes they got rather big. Could we get a way to make multi page notes? With navigation like, next, previous, go to page x.

Also now that paper is a measurable resource. Will note size be limited in some way depending on how much paper you have?

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

To my knowledge, the RSS protocol itself does not contain an authentication mechanism.

Um... RSS doesn't need to, it's just a data format. You ARE sending it over HTTP, no? Last I checked HTTP had several authentication methods (I think it might be extensible, but I'm not sure, if memory serves, the last time I looked in IIS there was about 5.)

Quote:

RSS with session state is sort of clumsy - most RSS clients support sending cookies, but not receiving them or displaying a login form.

Also, if you're using session cookies, I hope you're using HTTPS for the entire session, because if you're not, anyone on the same network as someone else who is playing can steal that players session by inspecting the packets going back and fourth (which contain the session cookie).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Also, if you're using session cookies, I hope you're using HTTPS for the entire session, because if you're not, anyone on the same network as someone else who is playing can steal that players session by inspecting the packets going back and fourth (which contain the session cookie).

Actually, that shouldn't be true. Devices on the network should send packets directly to the router, which should send it directly to the next router in the chain or directly to the receiver (or to bridge devices in between). All packets aren't broadcasted to the entire network.

The Firesheep thread is about unsecured wireless networks, which transmit the network traffic unsecured through the air, which can easily be heard by those listening for it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a networking expert.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

bamccaig said:

Actually, that shouldn't be true. Devices on the network should send packets directly to the router, which should send it directly to the next router in the chain or directly to the receiver (or to bridge devices in between). All packets aren't broadcasted to the entire network.

You would think that -- but unmanaged routers/switches are actually very dumb, and for the 50% of the time that they're working, the other 50% they are not... When we packet sniff our enterprise network we see ALL KINDS of data that has no business being on our particular nodes -- so it's kind of hit or miss.

Quote:

The Firesheep thread is about unsecured wireless network

Firesheep does NOT require a wireless network, just a shared network and cookies that bounce around via unencrypted http packets...

Edit: Anyway, back on topic, just use HTTPS+Authentication and bam, you have secure, authenticated RSS feeds.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You would think that -- but unmanaged routers/switches are actually very dumb, and for the 50% of the time that they're working, the other 50% they are not... When we packet sniff our enterprise network we see ALL KINDS of data that has no business being on our particular nodes -- so it's kind of hit or miss.

I can't dispute that, but the whole point of a router is to route packets. If it's passing them all over the place then I would assume either a cheap (i.e., broken) device or a misconfigurated network. :-/

Firesheep does NOT require a wireless network, just a shared network and cookies that bounce around unencrypted.

I suppose a Firefox extension isn't going to care what interface it's listening to, but it was apparently designed with unsecured wireless networks in mind (albeit, I suppose broken wired networks fall under the same category).

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Tiny issue: In Firefox I get horizontal slider in character pages.
Doesn't happen in Chrome or Opera.

The layout is just a few pixels too wide.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Hit Cntrl- a few times to make the font smaller?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Font size doesn't matter.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Bah, its your fault Trezker, I hadn't noticed it before, but now I am unable to not see it. :-/

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Firesheep does NOT require a wireless network, just a shared network and cookies that bounce around via unencrypted http packets...

It requires a network that uses a particular structure. Like a wired lan using a hub, or a WiFi network where a lot of traffic from other users is available by sniffing. If you have a wired lan, and use a switch, most network traffic is not visible to you at all.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

If you have a wired lan, and use a switch, most network traffic is not visible to you at all.

Not sure how this is now-a-days, but it used to be quite possible to spoof enough MAC-addresses to force the switches on a network into hub-mode.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

It seems to me that you would have to use out of character information, namely your knowledge of your own identity as the player, to follow these guidelines. In-game, the characters may both have good reasons to be in an organization, or to be in the same location. And you'd have to go against role-playing to avoid that.

I don't know how important these guidelines are considered relative to the Capital Rule, though.

It's kind of a dilemma, I admit that, but IMO, moving one of your characters and making up an in-character justification is easier to role-play than constantly ignoring all your knowledge when roleplaying two or more characters in the same situation. Also, these two specific rules are easier to enforce, since the situation is always clear, whereas violations of the "no outside knowledge" rule are much, much harder to (dis)prove.

Trezker said:

Also now that paper is a measurable resource. Will note size be limited in some way depending on how much paper you have?

Definitely. A simple note would be limited to an amount of text comparable to what you could write on a single sheet of paper (have to research a bit how much that is, in hand-writing), and you would be able to bundle several pages into a book. Similarly, drawing (and expanding) a map would also require paper proportional to the area you're mapping out.

Trezker said:

Tiny issue: In Firefox I get horizontal slider in character pages.
Doesn't happen in Chrome or Opera.

Probably due to how Firefox handles box shadows. I was sailing on the edge of validity anyway, putting a display: table-row on the <form> element (yuck!), so I fixed it all while I was at it. Now it uses absolute positioning and padding, which isn't as nice, but at least it's standards-compliant and it should work, without resorting to table-based layout.

---
---

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It would be nice to get a time estimate on how long a project has until it is complete. Once you've started there doesn't seem to be any way to see how long you have until you're done.

Go to: