Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Mah Sekrit Projact

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Mah Sekrit Projact
Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

bamccaig said:

For example, if the same character comes along claiming to be a different name, can you still tell that it's the same character that you've previously met?

They would still have the same description/name that you gave them last time I suppose.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

It would be interesting if you could change your looks so that people who have met you before can't recognize you without taking a really close look or you reveal who you are.

For this the game needs equipment for shaving and cutting hair, clothes that obscure your face, facepaint...

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I would play it if there was an option to flag players who use poor grammar habitually. If the experience hinges on written role playing, I'd hate to have any sense of immersion shattered by "hi, how r u?".

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

It looks like this type of game would be highly susceptible to bots. Have you got any plans for stopping this?

Just force a captcha on login and after every so long in high activity or something.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I hope you're joking. Have you any idea how annoying that would be?

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

I hope you're joking. Have you any idea how annoying that would be?

Not very annoying at all. 4chan requires a captcha every time you submit a post! I suggested entering one every time you log in and every period of time while active so that they can't just log the bot in and forget about it.

That would be if there ever was a bot problem to deal with anyway.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

m c said:

Not very annoying at all.

It can be if you have difficulty telling different colours or shades of colours apart.

In fact, it can be even if you can do that perfectly.

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

I suppose you're right. I never thought of that.

Well the idea basic idea of a captcha is it is something that a human can do but a bot cannot.

It could by replaced by a plain text question for example, but repeated use might be an issue.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

m c said:

Not very annoying at all.

I'm colourblind. You have no idea.

[edit]

Evert said:

It can be if you have difficulty telling different colours or shades of colours apart.

Exactly.

m c said:

Well the idea basic idea of a captcha is it is something that a human can do but a bot cannot.

Sooner or later someone is going to write an open-source captcha breaker that is much better than the average human. If it hasn't already been done.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Instead of captcha, you have to chat with a player and convince him you're a human.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

m c said:

Not very annoying at all. 4chan requires a captcha every time you submit a post!

... it's 4chan.

m c said:

All too often, implementations make it the other way around. They're easy for bots, who can retry again and again and again without any effort. :P
Unless they've changed it recently, Valve's forum search is a prime example. It has an anti-CAPTCHA - whoever solves it has to be a bot, since nobody else can be that patient.

(Oh, and I have ideological reservations against reCAPTCHA)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

About the bot thing: The game will require quite heavy moderation one way or another - you don't have to be a bot to be annoying, being a really bad roleplayer or just not giving sh** about proper grammar or spelling is probably equally bad. A few things I have in mind that would hopefully keep bots and jerks to a minimum:

• Moderation, combined with automated alerts (if someone behaves in a way that suggests you're a bot (chat frequence, repetitive messages, keywords) or a douchebag (keywords, letter/non-letter ratio, etc.), you'll appear on a list somewhere, and me or another moderator would investigate the incident and deal out punishments where appropriate)

• Peer moderation: giving players the opportunity to flag other characters' behaviour as against the rules or questionable, or maybe even voting players out (but then, this could be abused to get rid of characters that make your life hard)

• High subscription threshold - I'm thinking some sort of invite system, hand-checked applications, e-mail verification, IP filters, but probably not a CAPTCHA ('cause you can always rent a bunch of Indians or Bulgarians or people from wherever labour is really cheap to solve them for you). In other words, I'll try to make subscribing hard enough so you can't just create a new account when you're banned, but not so hard as to drive people away.

• Kingdom Of Loathing has a really neat grammar and spelling test which you must pass before you are allowed to enter the chat. Maybe I'll do something similar.

• Have the game dynamics sort things out by themselves. In CantrII, this often works really well: people who misbehave are ignored or punished in-game, without any moderation. A character who behaves like a jerk gets the jerk treatment, up to the point that an angry mob kills them within a few days' time.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Yeah, death should be a big part of a game like this. It motivates people and builds the worlds history.

About that. Will your game have an age limit? There are people in Cantr that are "very old" and I don't think you ever die of old age.

How will your game handle notes? Cantr became littered with useless notes everywhere. I think they did something about this recently though.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Age limit: I'm thinking not a hard limit, but from a certain age on, the chance of dying increases, in a way that makes it very unlikely for people to reach ages above, say 100 years.

For notes, my thoughts are that first of all, the way you have an unlimited amount of paper on you isn't realistic; I'll probably make it so that writing a note requires paper, which shouldn't be too hard to make, yet hard enough to form at least a bit of a threshold - e.g. you need a tub and some wood to make paper, and maybe as an alternative be able to write notes on dried animal skin, making it feasible in most locations (there should be either animals or wood or both in most locations). And the second thought is that you should always be able to destroy any note - in CantrII, the main reason why there are so incredibly many notes is that the only way of destroying them (that I know of at least) is to bury them with a dead body.

On a different notice, I have a very rudimentary pre-beta version online.
Those fearless enough to try it may request an account by PM. I don't have an invite system in place yet, but I can create the accounts manually. Don't expect too much of it though: The features that I have implemented so far are:

• logging in and out

• creating characters (up to 5 per player as of now)

• travelling between locations on foot

• talking

• dynamically naming characters and locations

• picking up and dropping items

• a little map of your current location and its surroundings

I'll keep adding features whenever I find the time, and suggestions of all kinds are extremely welcome.

Oh, and: The current version doesn't seem to work well in IE <= 7, mostly because I haven't taken the time to add extra workarounds for its incompatibilities yet. I have successfully tested it in Firefox, Chrome and Opera though, so I expect most other browsers to work just fine.

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Hey, early humans wrote stuff by hacking lines into rock and wood.

It would be nice if you could put messages on big rocks or stone/wood tablets. But make it a project that takes a little time, since this kind of writing isn't quick. In Cantr you could make signs, but you needed a paint brush...

I always found it rather odd that notes and envelopes were special objects that you could conjure from thin air when everything else in the game was extracted from the earth.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Which reminds me, I still have to find a proper name for this baby.

"Götterdammers" ;D

Trezker said:

Hey, early humans wrote stuff by hacking lines into rock and wood.

Don't forget clay!

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

"But Dad, I'm Jesus Christ!"

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Shouldn't it be more efficient to make a single HTTP request with all the results you need to update instead of 4 at a time? :) I imagine that it should improve the user experience slightly. That said, I'm not entirely sure how much is updated. It seems that if I want to see my progress while walking that I have to update manually.

Also, is it by design that you can only use a single character at a time (can't use multiple tabs)?

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

bamccaig said:

Shouldn't it be more efficient to make a single HTTP request with all the results you need to update instead of 4 at a time? :) I imagine that it should improve the user experience slightly. That said, I'm not entirely sure how much is updated. It seems that if I want to see my progress while walking that I have to update manually.

There are currently 3 timed ajax requests. The first one updates the clock; the second one updates your character list (bolding the ones with new events), and the third one gets all new messages for your current character, if any, and updates the list of characters at your current location. For everything else, you need to refresh. This isn't ideal, and I might change this somehow, but I'll have to find a way to balance playablility and efficiency (I can't have the game fire a dozen ajax requests every second just to keep information updated that doesn't change frequently anyway). The travel state, by the way, only updates every hour or so.

Quote:

Also, is it by design that you can only use a single character at a time (can't use multiple tabs)?

Sort of, yes. The current character is stored in the session, and most browsers do not allow multiple sessions on the same domain. CantrII is even worse in that regard, it even breaks when you use your browser's Back function, or open anything in a new tab, due to its weird way of passing state around (which I'm not entirely sure I understand yet). Playing a single character is hard enough, I figured, and having several of them open in parallel isn't something I would want for myself, but if others have different opinions, I pass the current character in the URI or a hidden field or something like that.

-- edit --
2 bugfixes:

• you cannot pick up or drop negative quantities of any item anymore

• password policy should now work correctly

---
---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

At my j0rb, every Web application that we build stores the "current" state in the session (I don't design them). From the very beginning, it seemed really strange to me. It basically cripples every site if you want to multitask. You can only ever work with a single subject of information at a time. I don't know about you, but personally I find that I like to do more than that with most systems. For example, you might be in the middle of something with one "subject" and then need to make a simple fix for another. Rather than saving an incomplete state or throwing away your progress, it makes sense to me to open a second tab and do the minor change without affecting the first.

It just seems contrary to how the Web works to me. The client decides what they are doing at any given time, not the server. The server just makes sure that the client's actions are valid and carries them out. I guess that's just a perfect world.

I'm not necessarily saying that this game requires (or even benefits from) the ability to use multiple tabs at a time, but I don't see any reason why it should be restricted by it. I suppose somebody with a slow Internet connection might appreciate the ability to manipulate one character, submit the change, and switch to another while that one slowly updates.

On a side note, is it normal for picked up items to be grouped by when you picked up them? I picked up potatoes at my spawn point and again at my first destination. In my inventory, they appear separate, which seems odd to me. Perhaps a "bag of potatoes" would make sense. I'm not saying this needs to be changed (I'm not a regular for this type of game). I'm just inquiring.

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

Most website code that I've been involved with stores user authentication data in the session, and the "state" is stored in the URI, e.g.

/forums/offtopic/hello_guys/10.html

would be URL rewritten as

/index.php?module=fourms&board=offtopic&thread=hello_guys&page=10

And the site gets those GET variables, and from the request headers it has the cookies that has a session id.

Then it sees if that is a valid session, if so sees if its session variable for client ip address matches the accessing ip address, if not it deletes session and 300 redirects to login page.

Otherwise the page is built purely on that information. No matter if the previous page was the 9th page of that thread or if you came in there directly.

And every module for the entire site is coded that way. And that's how we did it when I was in highschool coding for PHP cms's so I don't see why it would be any worse for pro commercial stuff.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

bamccaig said:

At my j0rb, every Web application that we build stores the "current" state in the session (I don't design them). From the very beginning, it seemed really strange to me. It basically cripples every site if you want to multitask. You can only ever work with a single subject of information at a time. I don't know about you, but personally I find that I like to do more than that with most systems. For example, you might be in the middle of something with one "subject" and then need to make a simple fix for another. Rather than saving an incomplete state or throwing away your progress, it makes sense to me to open a second tab and do the minor change without affecting the first.

It just seems contrary to how the Web works to me. The client decides what they are doing at any given time, not the server. The server just makes sure that the client's actions are valid and carries them out. I guess that's just a perfect world.

I'm not necessarily saying that this game requires (or even benefits from) the ability to use multiple tabs at a time, but I don't see any reason why it should be restricted by it. I suppose somebody with a slow Internet connection might appreciate the ability to manipulate one character, submit the change, and switch to another while that one slowly updates.

You are absolutely right in pretty much every regard. The reason the current character ID is stored in the session rather than a hidden field or the URI is that I originally thought of it as part of your login. I'm pretty certain I'll change this behaviour somewhere down the road, but for now, I have other priorities - getting rid of actual bugs in the current functionality, adding the rest of the core features necessary for some real role playing, etc.

-- edit ---
Actually, I just fixed that one. Current character ID is now passed through the URI exclusively, so far seems to work pretty well. Let me know if there are any issues.
-- /edit --

Quote:

On a side note, is it normal for picked up items to be grouped by when you picked up them? I picked up potatoes at my spawn point and again at my first destination. In my inventory, they appear separate, which seems odd to me. Perhaps a "bag of potatoes" would make sense. I'm not saying this needs to be changed (I'm not a regular for this type of game). I'm just inquiring.

They are not supposed to be separate. Inventories should automatically merge all items of the same type when adding them (except for non-splittable ones like tools or weapons, of which there are none yet). I'll look into it.

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I like that you already have different units were appropriate.
Milk in dl and potatoes in g. And all listed also show weight.
I was surprised when picking up milk that then it wanted millilitres...

So I hope money will be measured in number of coins. In Cantr coins didn't form neat piles.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

The unit system is quite advanced really. Every unit type refers to a base unit, but it also has a unit weight. For milk, this means that one unit of milk is 1 ml, and weighs a bit more than 1 g. However, each unit type also has a list of allowed prefixes, for example the mass unit type can be kg, g, mg, µg, pg, depending on the quantity at hand. Each item type can additionally specify a base exponent offset: For milk, this is -3, making the integral unit for milk millilitres rather than litres, although the unit type itself uses litres. This will allow me things like trading very rare resources like gold or diamonds in milligrams, while using larger units (grams, or even kilograms) for things like rocks, timber, etc.

Small amounts of milk will be displayed in ml, larger amounts in dl, yet larger ones in l or even hl. When you pick up or drop items however, the quantity is represented in whole base units.\

For coins, when I implement them (not sure exactly how, the cantr system certainly is too cumbersome to deal with, but I do want to allow different kinds of coins; have to think this through yet), they will behave in a similar fashion. I imagine the inventory list would then read something like:

Iron Coins (Frufundium Mint): 14
Iron Coins (Westfield Bank): 32
Gold Coins (Frufundium Mint): 3

...that is, somehow grouped by material AND authority. A really neat thing would be if you could, just for your own convenience, define relative values of coins, and the inventory would show you the total amount of each currency - this is more of a nice-to-have though, so I won't do it too soon.

First things first; what I'm planning on implementing next are:

• pointing (at other characters and locations)

• simple projects (gathering resources and producing items)

• food, eating, and hunger

• death from starvation

I think I also need to take another look at the spawn point function; so far, there is only one location with more than one character.

---
---

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

So, one more oddity I noticed. Whenever I want to change the name of a location/character and press Enter, my character says something. But he doesn't say anything because it looks like the chat window intercepts that Enter key press... So I basically say nothing.

Basically what would be better IMO if you press Enter on the change char/location name field than that should be changed. Or at least a safeguard so I cant submit blank fields in the chat window.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Go to: