Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Blwhahha?!? An honest minister?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Blwhahha?!? An honest minister?
Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

The Bible can't refer to Christianity specifically as Christianity came after. Additionally, most readers with half a brain would agree that it can't be taken literally as it itself contradicts itself. The best that you can do is interpret its meaning and apply that to what you believe. There is therefore no direct connection to God.

Errr... you do realize that the 2nd half of the bible (aka the new testament) was written entirely after Jesus died right? He had been dead 30 years when the first new testament books were written.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The Bible said:

(Acts 11:26) And it came about that for an entire year they met with the church, and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians at Antioch.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Errr... you do realize that the 2nd half of the bible (aka the new testament) was written entirely after Jesus died right? He had been dead 30 years when the first new testament books were written.

They thought the Second Coming was going to happen in a few months. Why write stuff down if people can remember it clearly? After years had gone by with nothing happening, they thought it best to write it down.

[EDIT]

I'll just leave this here.

[EDIT2]

I stated above that Jesus was a carpenter.

Quote:

The intractable complexities of fact produce the inevitable ambiguities of faith. The more one knows, the less one knows. Was Jesus a carpenter, or even a carpenter’s son? The Greek word tekto¯n, long taken to mean “carpenter,” could mean something closer to a stoneworker or a day laborer.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2010/05/24/100524crat_atlarge_gopnik?printable=true

So "facts" that are supposedly widely known depend on an interpretation of one translation?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Sol Blast
Member #9,655
April 2008

Quote:

I'll just leave this [www.youtube.com] here.

"Dillooshunull". Ugh.

That guy's done some great videos (I looked for my favorite but can't find it) but that one was just lazy name-calling :-/.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That's my bad. :-X After reading two different creation stories in Genesis I put my Bible down and started playing Counter-Strike[1]. :-/ Though, to be honest, the very existence of a "new testament" seems to contradict God. Why would God need a second attempt? The whole thing seemed shifty to me even when I believed in it, before I felt comfortable questioning it.

References

1. I lie. I haven't ever read more than a handful of verses. I haven't had reason to.
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

I lie. I haven't ever read more than a handful of verses. I haven't had reason to.

Let me get this straight: you're denouncing a book that you haven't even read? You say the Bible has contradictions, but you haven't read it. You say that Christians are horrible people, but you haven't even read the book that defines what a Christian is! You're arguing without any real knowledge of the subject you're arguing about.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Let me get this straight: you're denouncing a book that you haven't even read? ... You're arguing without any real knowledge of the subject you're arguing about.

To be honest, most of us guessed this already. :-*

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Let me get this straight: you're denouncing a book that you haven't even read? You say the Bible has contradictions, but you haven't read it. You say that Christians are horrible people, but you haven't even read the book that defines what a Christian is! You're arguing without any real knowledge of the subject you're arguing about.

Firstly, the majority of the Bible isn't capable of defining what a "Christian" is because it was written before such a concept could have possibly existed. Second, I haven't had the need to read it. It was read to me in church during service and that was plenty to spot the contradictions. I have as much knowledge as is needed to make a decision on the matter. Certainly, memorizing the Bible would make it easier to slaughter Christians in debates, but I just don't care that much. :-/

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Ok then. Good luck with that. I'm not going to sit here and argue with someone who has already made up his mind.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

This thread is more riveting than American Idol!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

BAF said:

This thread is more riveting than American Idol!

Yeah, but come on, so is a lump of coal.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

I asked my questions again, he did not reply again, but most probably because he lost interest and did not see them.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: