Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Ask Me Anything About Optometry/Eyes

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Ask Me Anything About Optometry/Eyes
An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

I'm bored. So I may as well help out a great community who I owe a lot to.

I'm an optometrist. Ask me anything you want to know about Optometry/Eyes.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Is age sight due to weak muscles or stiff lens? If the former, can you prevent age sight by doing some excercises that are kept secret so optometrists can sell more eye glasses to middle aged people?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I saw yesterday on the Colbert Report that college kids are doing this thing called "Vodka Eyeballing" where they would take a swig of vodka, but in their eye.

Despite not actually getting you drunk, can putting vodka in your eyes really do anything damaging?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Despite not actually getting you drunk, can putting vodka in your eyes really do anything damaging?

It'll be painful. And single time won't harm I think, yet frequent- ask this guy, I wouldn't do :P

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Johan: When you say age sight, you mean needing reading glasses when you are older (> ~45yo)? If so, then that is due to the hardening of the lens. The lens is usually flexible and it's shape can change via the muscles pulling on it. Throughout life, the lens grows layers and so becomes less flexible, meaning your focusing up close becomes harder. There is currently no exercise available to treat this.

Mark: I hadn't heard of this until you brought it up. Alcohol in the eye of any sort on the eye causes the top most layer (corneal epithelium) to die.

The epithelium is a protective layer which can withstand a fair bit of punishment (e.g. putting a contact lens on the eye). Much like our skin, the epithelium is constantly shedding cells and regrowing quickly without scarring as a defensive mechanism. When this layer is compromised, the underlying stroma (which is not so good at healing fast or without scarring) is exposed and any physical damage to the stroma or infections that deep may result in scarring and permanent blindness.

Don't think this craze has hit Australia yet. Why not just drink the vodka?

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I'm 21, I got ~ -7 on both eyes(approx). I think it is genetic, as my mom has the same..

Two questions though:
How bad is the monitor for my eyes(10 hours+/day)?
Should I consider surgery to remove the glasses?

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

I have a tiny squiggly line just below the focus point on my left eye (that is, I see it "projected" on stuff, depending on light conditions). I've always assumed it's a tiny scratch/imperfection on my cornea. What else could it be?

Trying to "look" at the point can lead to hours of fun ;)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

An Ly said:

Don't think this craze has hit Australia yet. Why not just drink the vodka?

Maybe they're not 20 yet.

{"name":"32996875rg0.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1b6dd18b4732c4e3ff6820bae25e6cf2.jpg","w":378,"h":512,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1b6dd18b4732c4e3ff6820bae25e6cf2"}32996875rg0.jpg
I think it was this lady, who didn't actually understand her extraordinary capability to pop out her eyeballs 12 mm. After the media fuss, she asked some optometrist what the normal distance is that people can pop out their eyeballs. Zero millimeters was the answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Type568: To my knowledge, most of the studies done in relation to computer use and eyes were done in the 80's when computer use was picking up steam. As with all new tech, people were scared and wanted answers.

A few studies (I know, ref needed, don't have them atm) have correlated close work (including computer work) to becoming more short sighted. I am not aware of recent studies of this nature though and to extrapolate the hardware (i.e monitors) used in an 80's study to todays superior hardware is a stretch.

Most research $ is used on refractive surgery development.

If you are 21 your eyesight is probably still changing. Does your prescription go up every 2 yrs or so when you see your optometrist? If so, then surgery is not a good idea as you may need glasses soon after the procedure as your vision is still changing.

Jonatan: Most likely you're seeing a "floater".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfzVOx2uNQk

which is in the back section of the eye (vitreous). The vitreous is quite homogenous and clear, so light moves through it without interruption. However, it is not unusual for it to become less so.

e.g. The vitreous is made up of hyaluronic acid and collagen which can break down over time and cause "strands" to appear in vision. This is common and nothing to worry about.

Other causes which are more concerning is retinal holes or tears in the back of the eye. This can be sight threatening and you should see an optom just in case.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I think she just couldn't wait the line to ladies room to let her in..

Append:

An Ly said:

If so, then surgery is not a good idea as you may need glasses soon after the procedure as your vision is still changing.

No, I'm wearing the same glasses for nearly two years, or even three.. And last eye check a year ago, was somewhere the same, I don't remember the numbers.. But overall, how damaging is the surgery to the eyes on the long scale of time?

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I have a tiny squiggly line just below the focus point on my left eye (that is, I see it "projected" on stuff, depending on light conditions). I've always assumed it's a tiny scratch/imperfection on my cornea. What else could it be?

A floater?

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Type568: That is good to hear! If your prescription is stable then that is one of the main criteria you've passed before you can do the surgery.

One thing, is your vision clear with your spectacles on? And when your optometrist asks you this, how do you answer?

The surgery hasn't been around that long. For the general public, lasik (most common technique) has only been around for about 20 yrs at the most. A recent study which was done over 15 yrs (I know, I know, need a reference) has shown no unexpected long term problems in the study group. Note that all the subjects were deemed "successful" after the surgery they had 15yrs prior. Any unsuccessful patients were not included in this study.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Hey, that's probably it! Interesting.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I've got floaters, but I'm scared they aren't regular floaters, and are actually caused by diabetes :o

I can have a bunch of them sometimes.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

An Ly said:

One thing, is your vision clear with your spectacles on? And when your optometrist asks you this, how do you answer?

I see ok overall, but yet I can force the glasses closer with a finger to see better.
Furthermore, with the glasses stuff looks smaller.. With contact lenses I see better.

Quote:

Any unsuccessful patients were not included in this study.

And the "failure" may cost me my eyes, right? -.-

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Thomas: Are you getting your eyes checked yearly? And does your optom dilate your pupils? If not, get them to do it. Diabetes is a major risk factor when it comes to problems inside your eyes.

Type568: If you can push your specs closer to your eyes to see better, that means you can probably get better vision with an update in your prescription. The clearest prescription is not always what is best for you though so you'll have to talk to your optometrist about this.

Also, how do you answer when your optom asks if your specs are clear?

"Failure" in refractive surgery is different depending on who you ask. Some people expect 20/20 vision (6/6) afterwards and any less is deemed a failure. The major failures (ie. blindness) is pretty rare. The screening process is so stringent. The success rates are high because of the amount of people who aren't eligible after the initial screening.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

How to Strengthen my Eyesight?

How can I repair my eyes my self?

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

piccolo: Is there anything wrong with your eyes to begin with? If not, then you can maintain your vision by wearing sunglasses/hats to protect against the damaging rays of the sun.

Being healthy is important too. Many eye conditions are caused by health related problems (diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol). Exercise, eat a balanced diet and work with your GP to maintain your health.

And if you're a smoker. Quit. It is way bad for eyes in long term.

http://www.mdfoundation.com.au/riskfactors.aspx

Oh, lastly, get your eyes checked regularly. Why do things yourself when you have professionals who can help you out?

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

An Ly said:

Also, how do you answer when your optom asks if your specs are clear?

I think I'd answer the way I said to you.
I understand it's a yes/no question, but I do not have such a short answer.
Guess it would be "relatively clear".

Why? :)

Quote:

"Failure" in refractive surgery is different depending on who you ask. Some people expect 20/20 vision (6/6) afterwards and any less is deemed a failure. The major failures (ie. blindness) is pretty rare. The screening process is so stringent. The success rates are high because of the amount of people who aren't eligible after the initial screening.

I see.. So overall, it certainly is an option worth scaling..

Thanks. :)

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

An Ly said:

Oh, lastly, get your eyes checked regularly. Why do things yourself when you have professionals who can help you out?

Pfft. You're just in the pocket of Big Eyeball. >:(

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

type568: An insider's tip for you: If your optom asks if your specs are clear and you say "yes" (or something positive) they will more than likely give you the same prescription. It is the old mentality of "if it's not broke, don't fix it".

This would make it seem like you're prescription isn't changing when sometimes it is.

Sometimes we would change your prescription even if you're happy with what you have. One situation would be if you're driving and you can no longer pass your driver's test with your current prescription.

Gnolam said:

Pfft. You're just in the pocket of Big Eyeball.

Say what?

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

An Ly said:

One situation would be if you're driving and you can no longer pass your driver's test with your current prescription.

I'm driving, although rarely.. But my vision(with glasses of course) is high above the needed minimum, so that wouldn't be relevant :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

An Ly said:

Thomas: Are you getting your eyes checked yearly?

Nope. Last went a few years ago.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

How has Allegro helped you, your an optometrist.

I am a computer scientists. In my case by learning game programing here, I was able to blow pass all of the programing colleges courses with ease to get my 4 year degree.

something like this would not apply to you.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

How a single vision stock lens makes my strabismus (congenital concomitant alternating esotropia) disappear?

Also, let's say that if such a professional actually exists in the country, is there anything that can be done for me to see in 3D? I'm getting pretty frustrated at constantly stumbling into things and bumping into walls. I still walk with a slight limp thanks to crushing my toes on a chair earlier this week.

You don't deserve my sig.

Go to: