Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [Puzzle/Arcade] Arkab - Alpha Test

Credits go to Desmond Taylor, Felix-The-Ghost, GullRaDriel, kenmasters1976, LennyLen, Mark Oates, Oscar Giner, and Trent Gamblin for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[Puzzle/Arcade] Arkab - Alpha Test
Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

So, trying to think of new gameplay ideas, I'm thinking on some kind of shooter teleporter technic. That is, shoot the ball and insert it into some device, and the shooter will transport there for the actual/next shot(Haven't decided if it should waste a ball with it).

That's going to give a lot of freedom for sure. I was also thinking of scripting something like an "enemy" shooter, which will try to deflect the balls that come to its range by shooting its own projectiles to it.

BTW, if anyone has a fun idea or just want to propose a drawing for one of the levels, I'll consider it and add it to the 'bonus' levels. :)

EDIT: The concept of the game is to add as much different puzzles as possible to the levels, not to perfect their prediction and shooting skills.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Dario: Looks amazing!

Now I want to hear more from Desmond, unless he's stopped being a whining little girl bitch who cant throw because girls cant throw and he is one.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I am still here you know ;D.

And by the way, I'm not "whining" as you say. I was debating and that debate ended a few days ago so no need to start it again is there.

Anywho, I am a girl? Ok, I must see the doctor quickly as I have a lump in my trowsers and it could be contagious :) ;D

No seriously now, I cannot be bothered to debate with you as it's a nice sunny day and I'm just browsing the net in the sun.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Desmond, stop it. He just said that to get you to reply, just like when somebody says "I'm leaving!" and everyone starts teasing him so he answers back. ::)

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Ok, Sorry it took me so long to reply I fell asleep ;D.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Sorry for the lack of updates on Arkab. I'm still working on some mechanics for the levels, as well as polishing the editor for my needs. I must admit it's been a choir to work with scripts to do the game mechanics, and reaching something as simple as modify the level, reload the scripts, and try again.

Hopefully, I'll have a full free week in some time, and I'll get on working on the levels full time. I've mostly been lazy and entertained with Alpha Protocol lately. :D

I'm actually working on the technique of warping the shooter by putting the ball in certain spots. I worked on a neat teleporting shader effect for the shooter as well.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Not on a windows box, so I can't play test it. But it really looks amazing.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

You're on a Mac right? I don't really know if there's any way I could distribute a Mac version other than distributing the source and letting the user compile it. But that would require, a particular Allegro 5 revision(in case there are any changes), a modified version of Box2D, NVidia CG, and I don't really know if it would compile in anything else than GCC.

I suppose there really isn't something like cross compiling from Linux to Mac right? And I don't think I could test out with Sun Virtual Box or something, since I don't really think it would be legal to get an OS X build if I don't actually own a Mac. :P

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Don't worry, I do have a windows box as well, I am just too lazy to walk into that other room, boot the box and try it :)
But I will do so tomorrow.

--

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Not wanting to read the whole thread again, have you implemented rotating blocks, e.g. 1-way gates, spinning after you hit it, etc. bonuses, e.g. multi-ball, etc.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Not wanting to read the whole thread again, have you implemented rotating blocks, e.g. 1-way gates, spinning after you hit it, etc. bonuses, e.g. multi-ball, etc.

That was be awsome features to have.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

The sound is a bit noisy (as in, I hear a white noise kind of sound after hitting a pad).
I am also not sure if it's meant to be ok to hit the same pads several times and be able to advance to the next stage anyway.
Another possible bug is that the "color" of the pads does seem to reset in a way I cannot predict. Sometimes they stay in their color (I think most of the time if it was a brighter green), sometimes they revert to the default color if the ball goes to the off.
Also, if I beat a stage once, I'd like to advance to the next stage whenever I want, right now I can only advance if I beat the stage in the last game.

Cool game!

--

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

It can all be scripted. Gates are working, I should only need to add some more conditions. I was thinking about power ups or bonuses, but I'll explain some part of the basic gameplay below, since I didn't really give any description.

One of the features I'm really happy with now, is the ability to press some buttons with the mouse. The Pong stage is also very funny for sure, you want to shoot to the particular button, but suddenly the bar starts moving and defending it!

I'm sorry for not giving any explanations before, but this is useful feedback, I must do the game so the user just picks it up and gets introduced to its mechanics easily.

The sound is a bit noisy (as in, I hear a white noise kind of sound after hitting a pad).

I exceeded the values of volume with A5's sound routines. My speakers don't have any kind of noise really, but it seems that other comps don't play well with that. I'll have to limit them.

Quote:

Another possible bug is that the "color" of the pads does seem to reset in a way I cannot predict. Sometimes they stay in their color (I think most of the time if it was a brighter green), sometimes they revert to the default color if the ball goes to the off.

I don't think it was a bug, I just didn't explain the gameplay.

In the lower part of the GUI, you have a certain amount of remaining balls. Once you run out of them, the stage will reset, and color all blocks back to blue. It's kind of a preset puzzle game, say some stages need you to use 3 balls to pass through them, so you'll need to learn how to use them well in order to reach the target score.

The only way for now to reach the target score is to bounce the ball against the blocks. When it bounces off, its color will increase. The more the block moves up in the color palette, the higher the points it gives by hitting it. So that means if you can stuck a ball in a certain little space, you'll be able to score a lot of points.

In the actual version, there's a limit for how many times can the ball hit the same block. If it's hit many times, it will run out of points, so players don't cheese and start scoring over millions of points.

Quote:

Also, if I beat a stage once, I'd like to advance to the next stage whenever I want, right now I can only advance if I beat the stage in the last game.

You mean like a level select? The savefile is actually coded in that demo, I just never implemented a menu for that. I added the option to the actual version though.

Thanks for the feedback!

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I guess the game just automatically quits once you finished all of the levels?

I was surprised it worked on my lame laptop intel graphics card.

My gripe with this game is that it seems more like a trial and error game than one where you are requested to employ strategy or intelligence :X

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I guess the game just automatically quits once you finished all of the levels?

Yes.

Quote:

My gripe with this game is that it seems more like a trial and error game than one where you are requested to employ strategy or intelligence

Yes, I already experimented with much better mechanics for levels now. I did now some kind elevator mechanic too, where you can press some buttons with the mouse to move some of the blocks in different axis. Putting them in the right positions will let you finish the level. It's not like organizing them to get enough score though, it's more about actually finding the way to get to the vortex, since it can be a bit complicated later.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Dario ff said:

You mean like a level select?

Not really.
But I'd like to to see the "Warp to next level" after each game if I've already beaten the level.

Here's the use-case
Player beats level. He think he can do better, so he selects retry.
He then manages to neither beat his old score, or to complete the level at all. He's now basically stuck here until he solves the level again. Which is not "that bad", but still a source for frustration.

I figured that you wanted the game to be a fun time waster, targeting the casual audience. So I thought that you might want to take this into account.

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I gotta be honest. The player launcher thing is kinda weird looking. At first I thought it was a birds-eye view of a kid with a striped shirt and his arms extended. The bump between the arms being his nose. Except instead of arms, it's like weird tentacle things.

Every once in awhile when I see a screenshot, I see that image at first glance.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I figured that you wanted the game to be a fun time waster, targeting the casual audience. So I thought that you might want to take this into account.

Noted, thanks for the advice. This can be done actually, since the level is considered beaten once the ball gets on the warp vortex. If the level is considered beaten, you can go to the Level Select and take it from there... but your option sounds much more comfortable.

Mark: I don't know what the launcher is supposed to be either. I just putted the main canvas, flipped it, and I liked the shape, so I decided to draw upon that. If you have any tips for making it more eye-friendly or more intuitive, I'm all ears(eyes actually :P).

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Get it on the iPhone, I could see it getting onto the Top App Charts. A5 nearly works on the iPhone anyway.

A comparable game that has made millions is Doodle Jump.

{"name":"727765_5.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/1\/412085f12867bc484efcfb2e9e933a3f.jpg","w":320,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/1\/412085f12867bc484efcfb2e9e933a3f"}727765_5.jpg {"name":"727765.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/4\/3482dd4c1dec5a583326b7ddfa1fa9c8.jpg","w":320,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/4\/3482dd4c1dec5a583326b7ddfa1fa9c8"}727765.jpg

Estimation of total revenue (for Doodle Jump):

Reviews   Price  Comission * Review->Sales Multiplier
70,921  * 0.99  *   .7     *               40         = $1,985,788

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

You might want to get inspiration from bubble bobble and ballistic here (esp. ballistic, since it uses a similar concept with regards to the launcher).

{"name":"ballistic_screen010.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef0f3e458477843d537ccf5be1acaadd.jpg","w":581,"h":412,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef0f3e458477843d537ccf5be1acaadd"}ballistic_screen010.jpg
{"name":"s453da995fc3300511abf6e5fc95f60dc.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/c\/bc439720218ce0254600c01d6d36912c.jpg","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/c\/bc439720218ce0254600c01d6d36912c"}s453da995fc3300511abf6e5fc95f60dc.jpg

--

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Out of curiosity, how is that game called, I always see its gameplay repeated so much? I've seen a LOT of clones(even one from PopCap) just with different themes.

Get it on the iPhone, I could see it getting onto the Top App Charts

I don't think that accepting an app from an underage is allowed in their policy. :P Not that I have money to buy a Mac anyways.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Get someone else to release it for you. Even the risks associated with trusting someone else with your money are better than just a free game!

Dario ff said:

Out of curiosity, how is that game called, I always see its gameplay repeated so much? I've seen a LOT of clones(even one from PopCap) just with different themes.

Because Luxor is one of the best selling casual games ever. People are emulating a successful game.
{"name":"screen1.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/0\/902b4c524b00c404289e9b7fe632756f.jpg","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/0\/902b4c524b00c404289e9b7fe632756f"}screen1.jpg
{"name":"screen3.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/2\/5201b43f659c9ecba3f8716018d7435f.jpg","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/2\/5201b43f659c9ecba3f8716018d7435f"}screen3.jpg

Edit
If you decide to make it a commercial enterprise I got the perfect musician in RL for you.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

So Luxor is the original game? I would've guessed it was even before in a more primitive format, something like 16-bit or something. It's damn popular for sure.

Even the risks associated with trusting someone else with your money are better than just a free game!

But doesn't Apple have some weird policy for releasing games only for the iPhone? What I mean is, even if this could be sold on the app store, would there be any problems if an exact free version on PC was available?

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Nope. The original is ballistic which is also called puzz-loop.
The next game was Zuma. Then came Luxor.

--

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Ah finally, thanks for that! The first time I played it(surely a clone), I recall it on an Arcade where the shooters were tanks. It was really cool, since it allowed 2 simultaneous players.

Go to: