Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [Puzzle/Arcade] Arkab - Alpha Test

Credits go to Desmond Taylor, Felix-The-Ghost, GullRaDriel, kenmasters1976, LennyLen, Mark Oates, Oscar Giner, and Trent Gamblin for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[Puzzle/Arcade] Arkab - Alpha Test
Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

sorry I'm from England and never heard the name dario before. I thought it was just a nickname to be honest. But now I know your a male I can make my posts sound abit better so I can use "his" instead of thier or summets :)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Women don't make games. ::)

Disclaimer: there are one or two FBI agents pretending to be women here, but they don't count.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

:o you wanna bet, My best mate is a female coder. You can't be sexest over who can and who can't. It's a matter of learning it.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Pics or she do not exist. ;D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Yea a picture will really make her exist. Pictures can be fake so I can't prove to you that there are female coders without going behind her back so instead I will point out a list of female coders instead.

Sordie - http://sordie.com/ (Makes EO stuff in C++)
Rachel J Morris - http://www.moosader.com/ (Makes games using Allegro and Applications in C++)

Now tell me that a female cannot program. My ex could at least make websites.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Now tell me that a female cannot program

I said they "don't make games."

Congratulations on linking to two FBI agents. ::)

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Rachel makes games, I just pointed that out.

Edit, I speak to Sordie on IRC now and again and used to have her on facebook. She's not an FBI agent so grow up and face the fact that you are a sexist pig with no female friends at all.

Edit 2, If you wanna carry on arguing that there are no female game programmers out there please take it to another thread as this is way off topic and it's not fair on Dario.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

And I speak to Elvis on Skype now and then. You have failed to disprove that they are both clearly FBI agents. :o

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

If you wanna carry on arguing that there are no female game programmers out there please take it to another thread as this is way off topic and it's not fair on Dario.

Don't worry about it, ML's just teasing you, and I hope you're not taking it seriously. Heck, even one of the moderators here is a woman, though not really active AFAIK.

And Matthew, you've failed at the rules of the internet. Men are Men, Women are men, and children are FBI Agents. :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Sorry but I do take offence to it due to having a mate that is female and makes games She uses OpenGL tho :( She keeps telling me to look it up on NeHe's site? I don't know the moderators on here so would'nt know there was a female one. I know there is plenty of female coders on the net but because of people doubting them all the time they choose to show as a male instead. They should just be open about it and the world would see that there are millions of them ready to put quite a few males to shame.

Yea I'm bad at coding but it's always a learning curve.

Ohh, Yea the joke is definatly Male = Male, Female = Male and kids = FBI agents :) I always loved that saying as it's not being sexist it is mostly true.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

What is it around here today with people not being able to take a joke?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

They're all new, and statistics tells us that we'll get a stream of serious types occasionally, think of the sudden silence that befalls a party now and then.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

No joke should be like that ever it's still sexist either way. It's like saying to a Jamacian "Sub Blood" when you are white, they will more likly attack you over it.

No I wasn't being rasist, was simply using it as an example. If I was a female and read that I would have took offence to it. I'm easy to offend and since this is a public forum where anyone can be here then it's not really acceptable.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Well, new people certainly don't take too kindly jokes as we do because of the unfamiliarity[1]. We should also introduce them to the arts of a.cc thread derailing. ;)

References

1. I don't know if this word is right, spellchecker didn't complain.

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Desmond Taylor: You're getting upset over the trollish humor of the Supreme Loser, after all.

Quote:

Matthew Leverton

Supreme Loser

January 1999

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Most forums have rules of trollish behaivour but like hell can I see the rules. I cant even find a link. Dont tell me where it is in this thread tho as I have started one for it.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

No joke should be like that ever it's still sexist either way.

Sexism: The belief that people of one sex or gender are inherently superior to people of the other sex or gender

The fact that it was a joke removes the belief, so no, it's not sexism. And you can't claim the 'but it's only offensive to females' line either, since it's clearly offensive to you.

Quote:

I'm easy to offend and since this is a public forum where anyone can be here then it's not really acceptable.

This is not a public forum. Matthew wrote the software and pays for the hosting. He can say whatever he damn well pleases.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

No joke should be like that ever it's still sexist either way

Before you reach such illogical conclusions, perhaps you should learn about the difference between a) not wanting to do something and b) not being able to do something.

But don't worry. Your personal attacks against me are easily deflected by my "over 9000" thick skin level. 8-)

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Sexism is...
{"name":"601442","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/9\/b97d08bff1e0f6d825053d85b56046a6.jpg","w":1280,"h":764,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/9\/b97d08bff1e0f6d825053d85b56046a6"}601442
;)

Seriously Desmond, don't get too riled up because of this. Women jokes have been on this site for years, it's kind of an inside joke, to pretend that they don't exist.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

<asbestos suit>
Women don't program, not because they're not smart enough, but because they might break a nail.
</asbestos suit>

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Quote:

I will only post content that contains value; I won't post just to post.
I will not spam, proselytize, flame, insult, or stir up trouble. I promise
not to relentlessly argue when people do not care to hear.

So saying "Women don't make games. :)" was no value to this conversation at all. (Break your own rules and be sure that others will follow knowing that you can't really tell them off for it as you do it yourself)

and we are now all breaking the last part of that by carrying on with this argumen so I'm stopping right now and going to get back normal chit chat and leaving this thread to Dario ff as it's 100% off topic and that should really be a rule in my opinion. That doesnt mean you have to add it was just an opinion.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

You kidding me? I got an awesome idea for map design above thanks to this. It's bound to provoke some smiles for the people that play that level. :)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I can dredge up some old posts that "stir up trouble" if you want to see some examples. I'll be away to the convenience store for the next 20 minutes though.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

and we are now all breaking the last part of that by carrying on with this argumen so I'm stopping right now and going to get back normal chit chat and leaving this thread to Dario ff as it's 100% off topic and that should really be a rule in my opinion. That doesnt mean you have to add it was just an opinion.

I see you also decided to ignore the bit about writing in good English. I'd expect someone from England to know how the language works.

edit:

I'll be away to the convenience store for the next 20 minutes though.

You left the IRC channel before I got to say 'you're welcome.'

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

LennyLen said:

I see you also decided to ignore the bit about writing in good English. I'd expect someone from England to know how the language works.

I've only had 5 hours sleep, and it is now 1:10am. I can't be bothered to read my punctuation and edit everything I wrote, like I did with this post. You must have been able to read it in order to quote me :)

P.S, I wasn't arguing. I was simply replying to that quote as I think it was funny.

Go to: