Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [Puzzle/Arcade] Arkab - Alpha Test

Credits go to Desmond Taylor, Felix-The-Ghost, GullRaDriel, kenmasters1976, LennyLen, Mark Oates, Oscar Giner, and Trent Gamblin for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[Puzzle/Arcade] Arkab - Alpha Test
Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

It's no problem at all. I've only used upto Allegro 4.9.19 binary release. But yea I'll give it a shot tommorow for you as I work from home so I can spare time easily :)

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Can you get a backtrace, Desmond?. Dario ff might find it useful.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Kinda new, What's a backtrace?

Sorry man, I got took by some friends to go out clubbing and only just got back home. I will send a Backtrace tho if I know what it is and see if that helps. I have tried it on my other computers and it works fine.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

A backtrace is the output of a debugger after a crash occurs and someone use the command backtrace to rewind the stack and get some informations.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Ahh, Then I should compile the code in debug and display the results on here?

EDIT: Or not as there isn't source available ;D

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Or not as there isn't source available

I might do a Debug build once I sort out this primitives problem, but for now, attach the gamelog.txt file just for having a clue.

BTW, I just found out setting the driver via the Settings.ini file was a false function after all(a stupid mistake of mine), so try updating your drivers for you card. You might be lacking some support for OpenGL. That's what it's using ATM. I must sort out some problems with the D3D driver.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I cant download drivers for the Advent Roma 2000, It dont even come with a disk so the drivers are the same ones that came pre installed. I have attached the game log

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/601430

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Advent Roma 2000 has an Intel 4 series integrated graphics card, so I guess you can search for them here.

And the gamelog.txt seems to be cut in the middle of a sentence? ??? Are you sure it's uploaded ok?

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I have tried it on my other computers and it works fine.

Then I guess the cause is indeed outdated video drivers. I had problems with Allegro 4.9.x when I started using it because of that.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Oops, didn't notice the part that Ken pointed out. I'd bet the problem indeed is outdated video drivers. The problem might not appear if you use the D3D driver, but as I said before, it isn't working on the version I released, and it isn't working correctly on the one I'm working on actually. I certainly need to get a working D3D driver, since some people might not bother updating their drivers at all so OpenGL apps work.

EDIT: Still, I think Dune Smasher used OpenGL. So... ???

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

ok, im gonna look arround for updated drivers and give it a bash

Edit:
Annoying as your dune buggy game works perfectly on here ;D

Edit 2:
Downloading the latest drivers from here
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18901&ProdId=2991&lang=eng

I will post the results afterwords

Edit 3:
Now the game works perfectly. I must also point out... It's very fun, Can't even get past the second level ;D

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

It's very fun, Can't even get past the second level

Oh, just shoot here:
{"name":"601433","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/2\/929a3b93e190b59a1e3cee218fed5860.jpg","w":1280,"h":771,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/2\/929a3b93e190b59a1e3cee218fed5860"}601433

Now I'm working on a Door Mechanic gameplay. Hitting the buttons will open the gates, so you must learn to use the balls efficiently to open the doors in the correct order, and then you can get to the warp gate. It was kind of fun that I did it just by adding scripts. :D
{"name":"601434","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/4\/840b9a2fa645069b365888168dbff5e9.jpg","w":1280,"h":772,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/4\/840b9a2fa645069b365888168dbff5e9"}601434

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Yea, My mate just completed your Alpha release and it looks really good. He can't wait till you have added more levels to it as it was fun :)

The door idea sounds good man, You'll have to add that for sure.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Dario ff, I can't download part2.rar from a.cc. Just letting you know.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Ok, I'm playing around with some more gameplay ideas:

video

Here you must press the buttons with the mouse to keep them activated. It's really fun for avoiding just being observant of how the ball goes. :P

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Dario ff said:

Ok, I'm playing around with some more gameplay ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoI9bCplEXA
Here you must press the buttons with the mouse to keep them activated. It's really fun for avoiding just being observant of how the ball goes. :P

I really like the door part, Looks good... I'm also glad you sorted my laptop problem out too. (a BIG thank you for that)

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

So I've been playing a lot around with more interactive Map Design, and luckily, the scripting engine gives me a lot of freedom for that.
{"name":"601440","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/076328be1ebad0870280f1abaa153655.jpg","w":1280,"h":764,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/076328be1ebad0870280f1abaa153655"}601440
I decided to pay homage to some gameplay classics for people to recognize while solving the levels. The screen looks familiar, doesn't it?

You need to get to the red button, but the little fella is willing to protect it. ;)

EDIT: The Pieslice primitive for the Vortex isn't working anymore, so I decided to replace it with a Pix. Shader.
Oh, I didn't update the game, so don't try to download it and find this level. :P

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

That looks really good. Port it to the iPhone or Xbox and you'd make money :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

You know, I thought of the possibility that polishing this game enough and making it more entertaining would be good enough for a commercial game. I mean, PopCap really doesn't do marvelous games and sell it via Steam, they're pretty simple 2D games most of the time, with nice visuals to accompany it.

But there's certainly many troubles I might find. First, I don't think I could do any kind of business without being able to make payments via Internet. Second, I'm not even of legal age(At least for 2 years), and I suppose that someone older in my family would've to take all the responsibilities of something like that.

I don't know, I prefer to make this game free of charge, just to add one more to my portfolio in case I need to show off my work someday.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Dario ff said:

I'm not even of legal age(At least for 2 years)

Really? :o Astonishing! I was assuming you were 28 or so based on your posts! You're BAF ver 2.0!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I don't want to be like BAF. :P

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I meant when he was 16 his posts seemed quite intellectual, when most teenagers are just getting into JeffK mode.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Oh, thank you for that then. :)

Well, it's up to teenagers to know how to take advantage of the most productive years of their lives IMO. Hopefully, by the time I'm going to the uni, I'll have a nice array of games done to show off my work. I dream of Indie game development, but I won't be giving up a career because of that.

While other people decide to waste their computer time on Facebook and keeping their social status, I enjoy much more making this stuff. You should've seen how some of my friends immediately loved this game. :)

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I was already amazed by Dario ff's age as I checked his/hers profile

Quote:

“I'm 16 years old, and developing games is my favourite hobby. My favourite inspiration games are the one from the Genesis/Snes era, and the best CRPG years ever(1997-2003), the time while Black Isle was alive.”

A really good game designer and programmer. I'm 25 and don't know half the stuff kids do these days as they learn rather early. I've had my website hacked by an 11 year old about 2 years ago due to me not securing it enough. Now I have them on MSN and get them to try hack my code so I know it's secure ;D.

Back on topic: I really like the progress of this game already and can't wait till it has been done. It's really addictive :)

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Thanks for the comments but,

as I checked his/hers profile

I thought Dario was clearly a male name? :-/

Go to: