Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [Puzzle/Arcade] Arkab - Alpha Test

Credits go to Desmond Taylor, Felix-The-Ghost, GullRaDriel, kenmasters1976, LennyLen, Mark Oates, Oscar Giner, and Trent Gamblin for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[Puzzle/Arcade] Arkab - Alpha Test
Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Arkab

Alpha Test - Tech Demo

Info:

Hi, I've decided to do a small project aside from my main one, doing a little game I always wanted to do. Arkab is a puzzle game where you must shoot a ball to bounce as many times as possible on the blocks. It's the only way to gather enough energy so the vortex gate will open, sucking the ball and letting you warp to the next stage.

Keep in mind it's only an Alpha test of the game, containing only 8 levels.

Requirements:

For now, it'll be closed source, so there's only a Win32 binary ATM.

(Not that you'd be able to compile it easily on your own anyways, since you'd need to compile some libs I modified myself. :P)

You need a GPU capable of Pixel Shader 2.0 AFAIK, since the game is very pretty with them. :)

Screenshots

{"name":"601417","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/5\/755de21f221d86531264921b0951a036.jpg","w":1280,"h":766,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/5\/755de21f221d86531264921b0951a036"}601417
{"name":"screen2cv.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/5\/357b9eecf2ff5a3093ba2b4eaf799585.jpg","w":1280,"h":766,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/5\/357b9eecf2ff5a3093ba2b4eaf799585"}screen2cv.jpg
{"name":"screen3ky.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/e\/9ebd81e4d79c0a2832c0bcbb492ab0f8.jpg","w":1280,"h":769,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/e\/9ebd81e4d79c0a2832c0bcbb492ab0f8"}screen3ky.jpg

Win32 Binary

Download from Mediafire. (CG Dlls included)
Sorry for using a Download site, it's 13MB big, the uploader here doesn't work with it, and none other better download sites worked. So if someone can mirror it for me, I'd really appreciate it. :-/

Or download it from a.cc directly in 2 files:
Download part1.rar from A.cc
Download part2.rar from A.cc

CG Dlls in case you need them.

YouTube Video

video

Questions:

So, the reason I'm releasing this is that I want to test various things.

I want to hear opinions about the gameplay since I'm at the stage of adding whatever I think I could need.

Some of you might have noticed that song really isn't mine(it's from Super Mario Galaxy), so I would like to know if someone wants to make one or two for the game(I know there are various composers here), or direct me to some free songs(which I really doubt). The game will be free of charge, and I can't really pay anyone to compose one, since I have no ways to make a payment online. :(

Other feedback is really appreciated too. Do you like the quality of the visuals? The gameplay? Everything is welcome.

Have fun playing it as I much as I had making it. :)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

It looks very nice.

But it's asking for a missing dll: cg.dll

Actually, using Dependency Waker there are more missing dll's: cgd3d9.dll and cggl.dll

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I might provide space if you provide a correct zip with all the dll's inside.
Just a question thought: why don't you use your personal allegro ftp access for bringing a little http page and give your zip ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I can also provide space if you fix the missing DLL's. I have tried to download them but I keep getting the old releases so it's missing functions that you are calling.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It looks very nice.

But it's asking for a missing dll: cg.dll

Actually, using Dependency Waker there are more missing dll's: cgd3d9.dll and cggl.dll

same here.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Just a question thought: why don't you use your personal allegro ftp access for bringing a little http page and give your zip ?

I tried uploading it to my A.cc webspace, but received an error about it being too big.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I'd like to try it but I have no Pixel Shader 2.0 support. I'll wait for you to provide a download with the missing DLL's; then maybe I can try it on someone else's machine.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Oh damn it, I knew I'd screw up. :P I forgot I added CG as a requirement, so I'll reupload the new version with the dlls. For now, here's the CG dlls, just 2MB.

CG Dlls.

I'm sorry for the problems. :-/

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Well, the basic idea is nice, but it needs more work so it has much less of trial and error, since right now that's all the game is about.

The graphics effect are very nice :)

The sound gets distorted. There's some high noise when playing some effect.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

but it needs more work so it has much less of trial and error, since right now that's all the game is about.

Yes, I'm trying to come up with some more ideas. I look forward to playing more with game scripts like in the 7th level. Movable bars, rotating bars. Maybe I should play with some kind of door mechanic, or some free movement objects(Boxes, etc.).

Thanks for testing. :) BTW, did the ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW mode worked well? What was your resolution? I'm trying to do the game based around a 4:3 aspect ratio, so I don't know if I'll include 16:9 levels. That, or I would need to add the ability to move the camera.

EDIT: Curious fact, the game is using the exact same engine as my main project. Developing with a shared library is a nice way to force some good coding.

I don't have one AFAIK. I applied for one in the past, and never got an answer. :-/

Also, there's a 10 MB file size limit, as LennyLen pointed out.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Dario ff said:

Developing with a shared library is a nice way to force some good coding.

True dat!

I see you're using Futura. Well played.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Yeah, Futura is a really nice font. It fitted the style perfectly IMO.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I don't think my computer would handle that although it looks cool.
I have only an Intel integrated graphics card.

Edit:

The (R)etry looks really weird.
And that First menu looks like Temporal's menu.

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I just curious, how long did it take you to make this game, once you had the idea (not including framework)?

Oh, and I also wanted to say that the Arkab title logo looks nice, too.

--

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I just curious, how long did it take you to make this game, once you had the idea (not including framework)?

Monday to Wednesday. I had Monday and Tuesday free because in 25th May, we celebrated the 200th anniversary of Argentina, so a long weekend was done for celebrations.

Quote:

Oh, and I also wanted to say that the Arkab title logo looks nice, too.

Thanks, I'm not really convinced on the underline though. It needs some decorations IMO.

And that First menu looks like Temporal's menu.

True, I also did that for Elven Revolution. The main difference is that the menu is handled by moving the mouse instead of arrow keys. I think it works very well.

EDIT: Ah, came with a good idea now. I was thinking in some Forcefields gameplay. Depending on some conditions, or just by passing by, forcefields will appear that won't let the ball go through some places. That'd be an interesting way to do ordering puzzles and how to take advantage of the remaining balls.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Ohh wellz, It dont work on my Laptop. Looks good tho on the video.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Desmond, would you mind telling the error shown(if there's a message at all) and the specs of your laptop?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Dario, PM if you need me to host it.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Sure, I will edit this post with a screenie of what happens. along with the spec.

EDIT:
Here you go, a screenie of my specifications and the error.

{"name":"601426","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/f\/cf74318801431664a4d39e5655a8b15f.png","w":1366,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/f\/cf74318801431664a4d39e5655a8b15f"}601426

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Dario, PM if you need me to host it.

Don't worry, I've putted two .partx.rar attached to the first post. It's just a Tech Demo, if I finish this game, maybe I'll consider it for doing a final flawless release! :)

Desmond: Seems like Allegro has failed creating the display, and I stupidly added an al_get_display_width() before the real check if the display was created. :P So go to Settings.ini, and change the Windowed=2 value to anything you prefer. Be it Windowed(1), or Fullscreen(0). Be sure to change these as well to suit your display:

#Width and Height of The Screen. Everything will be scaled accordingly.

Width=1280
Height=768

My guess is that ALLEGRO_FULLSCREN_WINDOW isn't working on your system, which I guess is expected since it was added recently.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Agree with Mark, that's a nice logo. I like the shaders too, looks nice.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

#SelectExpand
1[Display] 2 3#Width and Height of The Screen. Everything will be scaled accordingly. 4 5Width=800 6Height=600 7 8# Whether to run Fullscreen Window(2), Windowed(1) or Fullscreen(0) 9# Fullscreen Window mode will use the current desktop resolution, and a window without decoration, simulating fullscreen. 10Windowed=1

Nope, I know that a Window will work at 800x600 on my laptop as I play FlyFF in windowed mode and that resolution.

Edit:
I've tried your Dune Buggy game and that works on my System perfectly ;D

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Agree with Mark, that's a nice logo.

Thanks, I didn't really thought it was going to be so well received. :)

Desmond:
I'm out of ideas then. :-/ I guess all that remains is changing the driver from D3D to OGL:

Driver=OGL

AFAIK, the CG shaders work in the OpenGL driver as well. You could also give VSync a try.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I've tried changing everything line by line and putting the old values back to normal too. I think it's just my Windows 7 Laptop not good for allegro because even when I try to make games with it I get the same sort of problem now and again.

I switched to learning OpenGL on NeHe's site instead of Allegro. I am still using Allegro for now but that's because me learning OpenGL is gonna be slow ;D.

Anyhow, back to the subject... I will give the game a shot on my other Laptop and also on my PC too see what happens. I will post the results here sometime tomorrow as it's getting late and I must sleep due to work.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I don't really know, you mentioned Dune Smasher is working right. Which is in this case, Allegro 5, but it was an old revision. Maybe the newer revisions have broken something for your card?

I haven't got around to compiling 4.9.20 though, I used an SVN between .19 and .20. If you're willing to do some more tests tomorrow, I'll see if I can send you some updated binaries.

Thanks for testing this.

Go to: