Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » TranslatorHack 2010 Results!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
TranslatorHack 2010 Results!
Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

{"name":"601298","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/8\/58b5ec67fb56311742c8cfd6b805a110.jpg","w":500,"h":200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/8\/58b5ec67fb56311742c8cfd6b805a110"}601298

New York Times: "A must read if you're wondering to let a human do your everyday translations!"

The Washington Post: "A revelation that will have a tremendous impact on human history."

Albert Einstein: "Even if I'm dead, I can still feel that someone manipulated one of my famous quotes drastically!"

The whole translation process took 6 days, from 3rd May to 9th May.
TranslatorHack 2010 event details can be found here.

Each of the translations have the following versions.
- The short version only shows the final result of the 18 translations.
- The long version shows the full history of the translations, along with the author of them.
- The long commented version is the same as the long one, but has some comments from both the authors[1] and me.

(This versions aren't commented yet though, they'll be in a while :P)
- The Google Translate short version, the same as the short one, but made with Google Translate.
- The Google Translate long version, the same as the long one, but made with Google Translate.

Each of the versions are hidden by spoilers for suspense ;).

Language order:

Dario ff         (Spanish)   -->   Crazy Photon  (English)   -->
Evert            (Dutch)     -->   weapon_S      (English)   --> 
Johan Halmén     (Finnish)   -->   jhuuskon      (English)   -->
GullRaDriel      (French)    -->   Goalie Ca     (English)   --> 
Vanneto          (German)    -->   lambik        (English)   -->
Slartibartfast   (Hebrew)    -->   type568       (English)   -->
kenmasters1976   (Spanish)   -->   Oscar Giner   (English)   -->
Jonatan Hedborg  (Swedish)   -->   gnolam        (English)   -->
Marco Radaelli   (Italian)   -->   FMC           (English)

Translations!

Sentence #1:

Original:

• Hello John, what can we do for you today?

Short version:

• Hi John, how can I help you today?

Long version:

Spanish:

• Hola John, qué podemos hacer por ti hoy?

English:

Dutch:

• Dag John. Hoe kunnen we je vandaag van dienst zijn?

English:

• Hello John, how can we be of service to you today?

Finnish:

• Terve, John, miten voimme olla avuksesi tänään?

English:

• Hi John, how can we be of service today?

French:

• Bonjour John, comment pouvons nous nous rendre utiles aujourd'hui ?

English:

• Hi john, how may we help you today?

German:

• Hallo John, wie können wir dir heute helfen?

English:

• Hello John, how can we help you today?

Hebrew:

• שלום ג'ון, כיצד נוכל לעזור לך היום?

English:

• Hello Jhon, how can we help you today?

Spanish:

• Hola Jhon, ¿en qué podemos ayudarlo el día de hoy?

English:

Swedish:

• Hej Jhon, vad kan jag hjälpa dig med idag?

English:

• Hi Jhon, what can I help you with today?

Italian:

• Ciao Jhon, in cosa posso aiutarti oggi?

English:

Long commented version:

Spanish:

• Hola John, qué podemos hacer por ti hoy?

English:

Dutch:

• Dag John. Hoe kunnen we je vandaag van dienst zijn?

English:

• Hello John, how can we be of service to you today?

Finnish:

• Terve, John, miten voimme olla avuksesi tänään?

English:

• Hi John, how can we be of service today?

French:

• Bonjour John, comment pouvons nous nous rendre utiles aujourd'hui ?

English:

• Hi john, how may we help you today?

German:

• Hallo John, wie können wir dir heute helfen?

English:

• Hello John, how can we help you today?

Hebrew:

• שלום ג'ון, כיצד נוכל לעזור לך היום?

English:

Spanish:

• Hola Jhon, ¿en qué podemos ayudarlo el día de hoy?

English:

Swedish:

• Hej Jhon, vad kan jag hjälpa dig med idag?

English:

• Hi Jhon, what can I help you with today?

Italian:

• Ciao Jhon, in cosa posso aiutarti oggi?

English:

Google Translate short version:

Google Translate long version:

Spanish:

• Hola Juan, ¿qué podemos hacer por usted hoy?

English:

• Hi John, what can we do for you today?

Dutch:

• Hallo John, wat kunnen we doen voor u vandaag?

English:

• Hi John, what can we do for you today?

Finnish:

• Hei John, mitä voimme tehdä sinulle tänään?

English:

• Hey John, what can we do for you today?

French:

• Hey John, que pouvons-nous faire pour vous aujourd'hui?

English:

German:

• Hey John, was können wir heute für Sie tun?

English:

Hebrew:

• היי ג 'ון, מה אנחנו יכולים לעשות בשבילך היום?

English:

Spanish:

• Hey John, ¿qué podemos hacer por usted hoy?

English:

Swedish:

• Hej John, vad kan vi göra för dig idag?

English:

Italian:

• Ciao John, che cosa possiamo fare per voi oggi?

English:

Sentence #2:

Original:

• I've told you I hate blue T-Shirts, and yet, you insist in wearing them!

Short version:

• I told you I don't like the blue sweater, but you packed it anyway.

Long version:

Spanish:

• Te he dicho que odio las camisetas azules, y aún así, insistis en llevarlas puestas!

English:

• I have told you that I hate blue shirts, and even so, you insist on wearing them!

Dutch:

• Ik heb je gezegd dat ik niet van blauwe overhemden hou en toch wil je ze per se blijven dragen!

English:

• I have told you I don't like blue sweaters, and yet you insist on continuing to wear them.

Finnish:

• Olen kertonut sinulle, etten pidä sinisistä collegepaidoista, ja kuitenkin sinä vaadit saada pitää sellaisia edelleen.

English:

• I've told you before I don't like blue sweatshirts yet you insist on getting to still wear them.

French:

• Je t'ai déjà dit que je n'aimais pas les pulls bleus mais tu persistes à m'amener à en porter !

English:

• I already told you I dont like the blue sweatshirt but you insist on packing it anyways.

German:

• Ich sagte schon das ich dieses blaue Pullover nicht mag aber du hast es trotzdem verpackt.

English:

• I already told you that I don't like this blue sweater, but you packed it anyway.

Hebrew:

• כבר אמרתי לך שאני לא אוהב את הסוודר הכחול הזה, אבל ארזת אותו בכל זאת.

English:

• I told you I dislike this blue sweater, yet you packed it anyways.

Spanish:

• Te dije que no me gusta este sueter azul, aún así lo empacaste.

English:

• I told you I don't like this blue shirt, but you packaged it anyway.

Swedish:

• Jag har sagt till dig att jag inte gillar den blåa tröjan, men du packade ner den ändå.

English:

• I have told you that I don't like the blue sweater, but you packed it anyway.

Italian:

• Ti ho detto che non mi piace il golf blu, ma l'hai messo in valigia ugualmente.

English:

Long commented version:

Spanish:

• Te he dicho que odio las camisetas azules, y aún así, insistis en llevarlas puestas!

English:

• I have told you that I hate blue shirts, and even so, you insist on wearing them!

Dutch:

• Ik heb je gezegd dat ik niet van blauwe overhemden hou en toch wil je ze per se blijven dragen!

English:

• I have told you I don't like blue sweaters, and yet you insist on continuing to wear them.

Finnish:

• Olen kertonut sinulle, etten pidä sinisistä collegepaidoista, ja kuitenkin sinä vaadit saada pitää sellaisia edelleen.

English:

• I've told you before I don't like blue sweatshirts yet you insist on getting to still wear them.

French:

• Je t'ai déjà dit que je n'aimais pas les pulls bleus mais tu persistes à m'amener à en porter !

English:

• I already told you I dont like the blue sweatshirt but you insist on packing it anyways.

German:

• Ich sagte schon das ich dieses blaue Pullover nicht mag aber du hast es trotzdem verpackt.

English:

• I already told you that I don't like this blue sweater, but you packed it anyway.

Hebrew:

• כבר אמרתי לך שאני לא אוהב את הסוודר הכחול הזה, אבל ארזת אותו בכל זאת.

English:

• I told you I dislike this blue sweater, yet you packed it anyways.

Spanish:

• Te dije que no me gusta este sueter azul, aún así lo empacaste.

English:

• I told you I don't like this blue shirt, but you packaged it anyway.

Swedish:

• Jag har sagt till dig att jag inte gillar den blåa tröjan, men du packade ner den ändå.

English:

• I have told you that I don't like the blue sweater, but you packed it anyway.

Italian:

• Ti ho detto che non mi piace il golf blu, ma l'hai messo in valigia ugualmente.

English:

• I told you I like the blue shirt, but want to use it!

Spanish:

• Ya te he dicho que odio las camisetas azules y, sin embargo, usted insiste en usar ellos!

English:

• I told you I hate the blue shirts, however, you insist on wearing them!

Dutch:

• Ik zei toch dat ik een hekel aan de blauwe shirts, u echter aandringen op het dragen van hen!

English:

• I told you I hate the blue shirts, however, you insist on wearing them!

Finnish:

• Sanoinhan vihaan sinisiä paitoja kuitenkin pidätte kiinni käyttänyt niitä!

English:

• I told you I hate the blue shirts, however, you insist on using them!

French:

• Je vous ai dit que je déteste les chemises bleues, toutefois, vous tenez à les utiliser!

English:

• I told you I hate the blue shirts, however, you want to use them!

German:

• Ich sagte dir, ich hasse den blauen Hemden, aber Sie wollen sie zu nutzen!

English:

• I told you, I hate the blue shirts, but you want to use it!

Hebrew:

• אמרתי לך, אני שונאת את חולצות כחולות, אבל אתה רוצה להשתמש בו!

English:

• I told you, I hate the blue shirts, but you want to use it!

Spanish:

• Te lo dije, me gusta la camisa azul, pero quiere usarlo!

English:

• I told you, I like the blue shirt, but want to use it!

Swedish:

• Jag sa ju att jag gillar den blå skjorta, men vill använda det!

English:

Italian:

• Ti ho detto che mi piace la maglia azzurra, ma si vuole usarlo!

English:

Sentence #3:

Original:

• Even if the results of the experiment turned out to be wrong, we can't deny that it was fun while it lasted.

Short version:

• Although it was an embarassing situation we can't say it wasn't funny.

Long version:

Spanish:

• Aunque los resultados del experimento fueran erroneos, no podemos negar que fue divertido mientras duró.

English:

• Even though the results of the experiment were erroneous, we can't deny that it was fun while it lasted.

Dutch:

• Hoewel de uitkomst van het experiment onjuist was kunnen we niet ontkennen dat het leuk was zolang het duurde.

English:

• Even though the result of the experiment was flawed, we cannot deny it was fun while it lasted.

Finnish:

• Vaikka kokeen tulos oli virheellinen, emme voi kieltää, että se olisi ollut hauskaa niin kauan kuin se kesti.

English:

• Even though the result of the experiment was erroneus, we can't say it hadn't been fun while it lasted.

French:

• Même si les résultats de l'expérience sont faux, nous ne pouvons pas dire que cela n'a pas été amusant.

English:

• Even if the experience was negative, we couldn't say that it wasn't fun.

German:

• Obwohl die Erfahrung negativ war, können wir nicht sagen dass es nicht lustig war

English:

• Although it was a bad situation, we can't say it wasn't funny.

Hebrew:

• למרות שזה היה מצב רע, אנחנו לא יכולים להגיד שזה לא היה מצחיק.

English:

• Even though it was a bad situation, we can't say it wasn't funny.

Spanish:

• A pesar de que fue una situación incómoda, no podemos decir que no fue divertida.

English:

• Even though it was an uncomfortable situation, we cannot say it wasn't fun.

Swedish:

• Trots att det var en obekväm situation kan vi inte säga att det inte var roligt.

English:

• Even though it was an uncomfortable situation we can't say it wasn't fun.

Italian:

• Sebbene fosse una situazione imbarazzante, non possiamo dire che non sia stata divertente.

English:

Long commented version:

Spanish:

• Aunque los resultados del experimento fueran erroneos, no podemos negar que fue divertido mientras duró.

English:

• Even though the results of the experiment were erroneous, we can't deny that it was fun while it lasted.

Dutch:

• Hoewel de uitkomst van het experiment onjuist was kunnen we niet ontkennen dat het leuk was zolang het duurde.

English:

• Even though the result of the experiment was flawed, we cannot deny it was fun while it lasted.

Finnish:

• Vaikka kokeen tulos oli virheellinen, emme voi kieltää, että se olisi ollut hauskaa niin kauan kuin se kesti.

English:

• Even though the result of the experiment was erroneus, we can't say it hadn't been fun while it lasted.

French:

• Même si les résultats de l'expérience sont faux, nous ne pouvons pas dire que cela n'a pas été amusant.

English:

• Even if the experience was negative, we couldn't say that it wasn't fun.

German:

• Obwohl die Erfahrung negativ war, können wir nicht sagen dass es nicht lustig war

English:

• Although it was a bad situation, we can't say it wasn't funny.

Hebrew:

• למרות שזה היה מצב רע, אנחנו לא יכולים להגיד שזה לא היה מצחיק.

English:

• Even though it was a bad situation, we can't say it wasn't funny.

Spanish:

• A pesar de que fue una situación incómoda, no podemos decir que no fue divertida.

English:

• Even though it was an uncomfortable situation, we cannot say it wasn't fun.

Swedish:

• Trots att det var en obekväm situation kan vi inte säga att det inte var roligt.

English:

• Even though it was an uncomfortable situation we can't say it wasn't fun.

Italian:

• Sebbene fosse una situazione imbarazzante, non possiamo dire che non sia stata divertente.

English:

• Although the results of this experiment has proved this wrong, we can not deny that it was fun when it lasted.

Spanish:

• Aunque los resultados del experimento resultó ser incorrecto, no podemos negar que fue divertido mientras duró.

English:

• Although the results of the experiment turned out to be wrong, we can not deny it was fun while it lasted.

Dutch:

• Hoewel de resultaten van het experiment bleek onjuist te zijn, kunnen we niet ontkennen dat het was leuk zolang het duurde.

English:

• Although the results of the experiment proved to be wrong, we can not deny that it was fun while it lasted.

Finnish:

• Vaikka kokeilun tuloksiin osoittautui vääräksi, emme voi kieltää, että se oli hauskaa, kun se kesti.

English:

• Although the results of the experiment turned out to be wrong, we can not deny that it was fun when it lasted.

French:

• Bien que les résultats de l'expérience s'est avérée être fausse, nous ne pouvons pas nier que c'était amusant quand il a duré.

English:

• Although the results of the experiment proved to be false, we can not deny that it was fun when it lasted.

German:

• Obwohl die Ergebnisse des Experiments erwies sich als falsch, wir können nicht leugnen, dass es Spaß machte, wenn es dauerte.

English:

• Although the results of the experiment proved to be wrong, we can not deny that it was fun when it lasted.

Hebrew:

• למרות תוצאות הניסוי הוכיח שהוא טועה, אנחנו לא יכולים להכחיש כי זה היה כיף כשזה נמשך.

English:

• Although the experiment results proved him wrong, we can not deny that it was fun when it lasted.

Spanish:

• Aunque los resultados del experimento demostró que estaba equivocado, no podemos negar que fue muy divertido cuando duró.

English:

• Although the results of the experiment proved him wrong, we can not deny that it was fun when it lasted.

Swedish:

• Även om resultaten av försöket visade honom fel, kan vi inte förneka att det var kul när det varade.

English:

• Although the results of the experiment showed him wrong, we can not deny that it was fun when it lasted.

Italian:

• Anche se i risultati di questo esperimento lo ha dimostrato sbagliato, non possiamo negare che è stato divertente quando è durato.

English:

• Although the results of this experiment has proved this wrong, we can not deny that it was fun when it lasted.

Sentence #4:

Original:

• People that are very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.

Short version:

• People with certain specific traits are sometimes able to play key roles in society and have great impact on humanity's history.

Long version:

Spanish:

• La gente que es muy rara puede meterse en posiciones sensibles y tener un impacto tremendo en la historia.

English:

• People that are very weird may get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact in history.

Dutch:

• Zeer vreemde mensen kunnen een belangrijke positie krijgen en een enorme invloed op de geschiedenis hebben.

English:

• It is possible for very strange persona to obtain an important position and have an enormous impact on history.

Finnish:

• Erittäin erikoisten persoonien on mahdollista saavuttaa merkittävä asema ja heillä voi olla valtava vaikutus historiaan.

English:

• It is possible for very special personalities to achieve significant positions and have enormous influence on history.

French:

• Il est possible pour des personnes dotées d'une personnalité particulière d'atteindre des positions clefs et d'avoir une grande

influence sur l'histoire.

English:

• It is possible for people with a certain personality to attain key positions and have a great influence on history.

German:

• Es ist möglich für Menschen mit einer bestimmten Persönlichkeit um Schlüsselpositionen zu erreichen und einen großes Einfluss

auf die Geschichte zu haben.

English:

• It is possible for a person with a certain personality to assume a keyposition and have a big impact on history.

Hebrew:

• זה אפשרי עבור אדם עם אישיות מסויימת לתפוס עמדת מפתח ושתהיה לו השפעה גדולה על ההיסטוריה.

English:

• People with specific personal qualities are sometimes capable to take key positions in society, and to have great influence on

human history.

Spanish:

• Personas con cualidades específicas a veces son capaces de tomar posiciones clave en la sociedad y tener gran influencia en la

historia de la humanidad.

English:

• People with specific qualities are sometimes capable of taking key positions in society and having a big influence in the

history of the humanity.

Swedish:

• Personer med vissa specifika egenskaper är ibland kapabla att inta nyckelpositioner i samhället och har stor påverkan på

mänsklighetens historia.

English:

• People with certain specific qualities are sometimes capable of taking key positions in society, and have a great effect on

human history.

Italian:

• Le persone con certe qualità specifiche talvolta sono capaci di ricoprire ruoli chiave nella società e avere un grande effetto

sulla storia dell'umanità.

English:

• People with certain specific traits are sometimes able to play key roles in society and have great impact on humanity's history.

Long commented version:

Spanish:

• La gente que es muy rara puede meterse en posiciones sensibles y tener un impacto tremendo en la historia.

English:

• People that are very weird may get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact in history.

Dutch:

• Zeer vreemde mensen kunnen een belangrijke positie krijgen en een enorme invloed op de geschiedenis hebben.

English:

• It is possible for very strange persona to obtain an important position and have an enormous impact on history.

Finnish:

• Erittäin erikoisten persoonien on mahdollista saavuttaa merkittävä asema ja heillä voi olla valtava vaikutus historiaan.

English:

• It is possible for very special personalities to achieve significant positions and have enormous influence on history.

French:

• Il est possible pour des personnes dotées d'une personnalité particulière d'atteindre des positions clefs et d'avoir une grande

influence sur l'histoire.

English:

• It is possible for people with a certain personality to attain key positions and have a great influence on history.

German:

• Es ist möglich für Menschen mit einer bestimmten Persönlichkeit um Schlüsselpositionen zu erreichen und einen großes Einfluss

auf die Geschichte zu haben.

English:

• It is possible for a person with a certain personality to assume a keyposition and have a big impact on history.

Hebrew:

• זה אפשרי עבור אדם עם אישיות מסויימת לתפוס עמדת מפתח ושתהיה לו השפעה גדולה על ההיסטוריה.

English:

• People with specific personal qualities are sometimes capable to take key positions in society, and to have great influence on

human history.

Spanish:

• Personas con cualidades específicas a veces son capaces de tomar posiciones clave en la sociedad y tener gran influencia en la

historia de la humanidad.

English:

• People with specific qualities are sometimes capable of taking key positions in society and having a big influence in the

history of the humanity.

Swedish:

• Personer med vissa specifika egenskaper är ibland kapabla att inta nyckelpositioner i samhället och har stor påverkan på

mänsklighetens historia.

English:

• People with certain specific qualities are sometimes capable of taking key positions in society, and have a great effect on

human history.

Italian:

• Le persone con certe qualità specifiche talvolta sono capaci di ricoprire ruoli chiave nella società e avere un grande effetto

sulla storia dell'umanità.

English:

• People are very strange positions in sensitive and have a tremendous impact on history.

Spanish:

• Las personas que son muy extrañas pueden entrar en puestos sensibles y tienen un impacto tremendo en la historia.

English:

• People are very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.

Dutch:

• Mensen zijn heel raar kan krijgen in kwetsbare posities en een enorme impact hebben op de geschiedenis.

English:

• People are very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.

Finnish:

• Ihmiset ovat hyvin outo voi päästä herkkiä kantoja ja on valtava vaikutus historiaan.

English:

• People are very weird can get sensitive positions and have a huge impact on history.

French:

• Les gens sont très bizarres peuvent obtenir les postes sensibles et ont un impact énorme sur l'histoire.

English:

• People are very weird can get sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.

German:

• Die Menschen sind sehr seltsam kann bedeutende Positionen kommen und haben einen enormen Einfluss auf die Geschichte.

English:

• The people are very strange to come sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.

Hebrew:

• אנשים הם מאוד מוזר לבוא תפקידים רגישים ויש להם השפעה עצומה על ההיסטוריה.

English:

• People are very strange to sensitive positions and have tremendous impact on history.

Spanish:

• La gente es muy extraña a las posiciones sensibles y tener un impacto tremendo en la historia.

English:

• People are very strange to sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.

Swedish:

• Folk är väldigt främmande för känsliga befattningar och har en enorm inverkan på historien.

English:

• People are very strange to sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.

Italian:

• La gente è molto strano in posizioni delicate e hanno un impatto tremendo sulla storia.

English:

• People are very strange positions in sensitive and have a tremendous impact on history.

Sentence #5:

Original:

• My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Short version:

• My destiny shows the existence of a higher will which proves his wisdom through elements which our feeble mind cannot comprehend.

Long version:

Spanish:

• Mi religión consite en una humilde admiración del espíritu superior ilimitado que se revela a sí mismo en pequeños detalles que somos capaces de percibir con nuestra fragil y débil mente.

English:

• My religion consists on a humble admiration of the boundless superior spirit that reveals itself in small details that we are able to perceive with our fragile and weak mind.

Dutch:

• Mijn geloof behelst de eerbiedige bewondering van een grenzeloos superieure geest die zich kenbaar maakt in de kleine details die wij met onze kwetsbare en zwakke geest kunnen waarnemen.

English:

• My faith encompasses the reverent adoration of a boundlessly superior intellect that manifests itself in the little details that we with our fragile and weak mind are able to observe.

Finnish:

• Uskooni liittyy kunnioitettava palvonta äärettömän ylivertaista älyä kohtaan, joka vahvistaa olemassaolonsa pienissä yksityiskohdissa, joita me kykenemme hauraan ja heikon mielemme avulla havainnoimaan.

English:

• My religion involves worship of an infinitely superior intellect that confirms its existence in small details that we can observe with our frail minds.

French:

• Ma religion inclut le culte d'une intelligence infiniment supérieure qui confirme son existence dans les petits détails que nos frêles consciences nous permettent d'observer.

English:

• My religion includes the worship of an infinitely superior intelligence that confirms its existance in the small details that our frail consciences allow us to observe.

German:

• Meine Religion beinhaltet die Verehrung eines unendlich überlegenen Intelligenz, die seine Existenz in den kleinen Details bestätigt, die unseres zerbrechliches Gewissen beobachten kann.

English:

• My religion encompasses the veneration of an infinitely superior intellect that makes its existence known in minute details that our fragile mind can observe.

Hebrew:

• הדת שלי כוללת בתוכה את הוקרתו של אינטלקט עליון אשר הופך את קיומו לידוע באמצעות פרטים זעירים אשר מוחנו השביר יכול להבחין בהם

English:

• My faith includes recognition of higher intellect which turned it's existence in to knowledge using careful elements which our fragile mind is capable to understand.

Spanish:

• Mi fé incluye el reconocer la existencia de un intelecto superior que dio a conocer su sabiduría usando cuidadosamente elementos que nuestra frágil mente fuera capaz de comprender.

English:

• My faith includes recognising the existence of a superior intellect who unveiled his wisdom carefully using elements which our fragile mind were able to understand.

Swedish:

• Min tro innebär att jag erkänner existensen av ett större intellekt som visar prov på sin vishet genom element som vårat bräckliga sinne är kapabla att förstå.

English:

• My faith means I acknowledge the existence of a greater intellect that shows proof of its wisdom through elements that our fragile mind is capable of understanding.

Italian:

• Il mio destino significa che riconosco l'esistenza di un intelletto più grande che mostra prova della sua saggezza attraverso elementi che la nostra fragile mente è capace di comprendere.

English:

• My destiny shows the existence of a higher will which proves his wisdom through elements which our feeble mind cannot comprehend.

Long commented version:

Spanish:

• Mi religión consite en una humilde admiración del espíritu superior ilimitado que se revela a sí mismo en pequeños detalles que somos capaces de percibir con nuestra fragil y débil mente.

English:

• My religion consists on a humble admiration of the boundless superior spirit that reveals itself in small details that we are able to perceive with our fragile and weak mind.

Dutch:

• Mijn geloof behelst de eerbiedige bewondering van een grenzeloos superieure geest die zich kenbaar maakt in de kleine details die wij met onze kwetsbare en zwakke geest kunnen waarnemen.

English:

• My faith encompasses the reverent adoration of a boundlessly superior intellect that manifests itself in the little details that we with our fragile and weak mind are able to observe.

Finnish:

• Uskooni liittyy kunnioitettava palvonta äärettömän ylivertaista älyä kohtaan, joka vahvistaa olemassaolonsa pienissä yksityiskohdissa, joita me kykenemme hauraan ja heikon mielemme avulla havainnoimaan.

English:

• My religion involves worship of an infinitely superior intellect that confirms its existence in small details that we can observe with our frail minds.

French:

• Ma religion inclut le culte d'une intelligence infiniment supérieure qui confirme son existence dans les petits détails que nos

frêles consciences nous permettent d'observer.

English:

• My religion includes the worship of an infinitely superior intelligence that confirms its existance in the small details that

our frail consciences allow us to observe.

German:

• Meine Religion beinhaltet die Verehrung eines unendlich überlegenen Intelligenz, die seine Existenz in den kleinen Details

bestätigt, die unseres zerbrechliches Gewissen beobachten kann.

English:

• My religion encompasses the veneration of an infinitely superior intellect that makes its existence known in minute details that our fragile mind can observe.

Hebrew:

• הדת שלי כוללת בתוכה את הוקרתו של אינטלקט עליון אשר הופך את קיומו לידוע באמצעות פרטים זעירים אשר מוחנו השביר יכול להבחין בהם

English:

• My faith includes recognition of higher intellect which turned it's existence in to knowledge using careful elements which our fragile mind is capable to understand.

Spanish:

• Mi fé incluye el reconocer la existencia de un intelecto superior que dio a conocer su sabiduría usando cuidadosamente elementos que nuestra frágil mente fuera capaz de comprender.

English:

• My faith includes recognising the existence of a superior intellect who unveiled his wisdom carefully using elements which our fragile mind were able to understand.

Swedish:

• Min tro innebär att jag erkänner existensen av ett större intellekt som visar prov på sin vishet genom element som vårat bräckliga sinne är kapabla att förstå.

English:

• My faith means I acknowledge the existence of a greater intellect that shows proof of its wisdom through elements that our fragile mind is capable of understanding.

Italian:

• Il mio destino significa che riconosco l'esistenza di un intelletto più grande che mostra prova della sua saggezza attraverso elementi che la nostra fragile mente è capace di comprendere.

English:

• My religion consists of a humble admiration is boundless humor that reveals the smallest details, see the memory of our fragile and weak.

Spanish:

• Mi religión consiste en una humilde admiración del ilimitado espíritu superior que se revela en los detalles leves que podemos percibir con nuestra frágil y débil mente.

English:

• My religion consists of a humble admiration of the boundless superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we can perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Dutch:

• Mijn godsdienst bestaat uit een bescheiden bewondering van de grenzeloze superieure geest die zich openbaart in de kleine details die we kunnen waarnemen met onze zwakke en zwakke geest.

English:

• My religion consists of a humble admiration of the boundless superior spirit that reveals itself in small details we can perceive with our frail and weak minded.

Finnish:

• My Religion koostuu nöyrä ihailua rajaton erinomainen henki, joka paljastaa itsensä pieniin yksityiskohtiin voimme havaita meidän hauras ja heikko ajattelevia.

English:

• My Religion consists of a humble admiration of boundless good spirit who reveals himself in small details, we can see our frail and weak-minded.

French:

• Ma religion consiste en une humble admiration sans bornes de bon esprit qui se révèle dans les petits détails, nous pouvons voir notre frêle et faible d'esprit.

English:

• My religion consists of a humble admiration's boundless good spirit that reveals itself in small details, we can see our frail and feeble mind.

German:

• Meine Religion besteht aus einer bescheidenen Bewunderung ist grenzenlos gute Geist, der sich offenbart in kleinen Details, können wir sehen unserem gebrechlichen und schwachen Verstand.

English:

• My religion consists of a humble admiration is boundless good spirit that reveals itself in small details, we see our frail and feeble mind.

Hebrew:

• הדת שלי מורכבת הערצה צנוע הוא ברוח טובה ללא גבול, כי מתגלה בפרטים הקטנים, אנו רואים את הנפש שברירי וחלוש שלנו.

English:

• My religion consists of a humble admiration is boundless good humor that reveals the small details, we see the mind of our frail and feeble.

Spanish:

• Mi religión consiste en una humilde admiración sin límites es el humor bueno que revela los pequeños detalles, vemos la mente de nuestra frágil y débil.

English:

• My religion consists of a humble admiration is boundless good humor that reveals the little details, see the mind of our frail and feeble.

Swedish:

• Min religion består av en ödmjuk beundran är gränslös humor som avslöjar de små detaljerna, se minnet av våra bräckliga och svaga.

English:

• My religion consists of a humble admiration is boundless humor that reveals the little details, see the memory of our fragile and weak.

Italian:

• La mia religione consiste in una umile ammirazione è sconfinata umorismo che rivela i piccoli dettagli, vedere la memoria della nostra fragile e debole.

English:

• My religion consists of a humble admiration is boundless humor that reveals the smallest details, see the memory of our fragile and weak.

I'll get on doing the commented versions in a while... This thread took a while to make, and I'd like you to help me point out some stuff and comment on your translations.

Credits

The translators for the whole event were: gnolam, Oscar Giner, Evert, Goalie Ca, kenmasters1976, type568, FMC,Vanneto, Slartibartfast, lambik, Dario ff, Crazy Photon, weapon_S, Johan Halmén, Marco Radaelli, GullRaDriel, Jonatan Hedborg and jhuuskon.

Some participants were left out because another translator of their same language couldn't be found. They are:

Fishcake, Jakub Wasilewski and Arvidsson.

Neil Black and Mokkan helped checking the initial sentences.David McCallum proposed two of the initial sentences.

Bamccaig helped with some recommendations for the experiment's purity.

Original idea by Jakub Wasilewski.

Extras!

Possibly the most horrible thing that happened to me was my PM inbox... I swear that I had over 6 or 7 new messages each time I

came back home. And I don't longer see my older messages unrelated with this without having to scroll back:
{"name":"601297","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5e51ef8fdd69abcfd28b1cfbc66786cb.jpg","w":1065,"h":658,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5e51ef8fdd69abcfd28b1cfbc66786cb"}601297

Also, if you're wondering who came up with the last sentence, it's an Albert Einstein's quote. :)

And don't worry, this thread isn't under surveillance by the CIA, type568 already explained to the government that the whole nuclear-minded deal was just a joke, hopefully...

I already contacted the people over at ConveyThis!, the Bad Translator creators about this experiment, and they haven't answered back yet. I'll spam them a bit more, and hopefully they might come by and leave us a comment.

So, if you all don't mind, I'll chill out a bit for now. Creating this whole thread took a LOT of time.

References

1. These comments are the ones the author will make in this thread that they want to point out. Probably for excusing themselves. ;)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Halmén, you goddamn rantaruotsalainen, you translated sentences 4 and 5 wrong and now it looks like the contextual changes of those sentences were my fault! :P

You don't deserve my sig.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Heh, we Italians messed up the starting point of the fifth sentence, but i also noticed the French made a couple of changes too (on other sentences) ;)

[edit]Also Google beat us on sentences 1 and 3 :-X

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Oh Christ, I sense some context-debate fights coming in...

Also, I added the Google Translator versions.

EDIT: Also, can anyone explain me what's this whole deal about shirt, sweater, sweatshirt? ???

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Just had a quick look. Interesting.

#1 fared more or less as I would have expected it did. Meaning preserved, when you allow for the difference in modes of expression between languages.

#2 is interesting. I wasn't actually sure whether "shirt" was meant to refer to a T-shirt or not. I ended up interpreting it as the thing with buttons down the front, which is both my first association and what my dictionary told me it was (although I know "shirt" is also used as short for "T-shirt"). Anyway, that seems to have sortof stuck.

#3 Not sure what happened here! Going to have to take a look at that one.

#4 is interesting, it did better than I would have expected it to. I actually think the original sentence is a bit odd ("people that are very weird" is a bit vague, "get into sensitive positions" likewise; I think I understand what is meant but I would never express it like that). The meaning seems to have been preserved well.

#5 Well... no surprise that went a bit bonkers. Was the original quote in English or in German?

I'll be looking things over in more detail later.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Actually, I like the final #4 better than the original quote.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

To expand on #1, I didn't do a literal word-for-word translation there, but I re-expressed it into one of the equivalent ways of saying the same thing. That then led to a variation of the English expression on the next iteration, and so results diverged.

(EDIT)
In #2, an "overhemd" is not the same thing as a sweater! A sweater is a "trui". Or "sweater". :P
(EDIT)

The interesting thing though is that for most sentences the meaning was kept even if the wording is different. See, understanding what is being said helps!
They're also all correct English, which must help.

Dario ff said:

Actually, I like the final #4 better than the original quote.

Yes, I also think it's much better worded and clearer than what we started with.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Ok... who wants to start spamming the web with this? ;D

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

People that are very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.

Albert Einstein said:

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I just glimpsed at it.

#2. Basically the only error was that at some point it changed from wearing to packing.

Dario ff said:

#3. Although it was an embarassing situation we can't say it wasn't funny.

This translation wasn't that bad... and it kinda fits...

Google said:

People are very strange positions in sensitive and have a tremendous impact on history.

"People are very sensitive in strange positions and have a tremendous impact on history" would be funnier.

#5. It changed a lot but I guess it wasn't that bad considering that it was a complicated phrase.

Google didn't do it as bad as I expected, yet I think our translations make more sense.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

My comments:

1st: I decided to do a more literal translation, though I was doubting between that and what I though was a better translation: "what can we do for you today?", which is actually the original sentence :o

2nd: "empacaste" was a weird work I had to look for in a dictionary to make sure :P. We use "empaquetaste".

5th: The sentence just didn't make much sense. I specially had a hard time trying to figure out how to translate "dio a conocer" without changing the meaning, when I didn't really understood what does it try to say :P

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

2nd: "empacaste" was a weird work I had to look for in a dictionary to make sure :P. We use "empaquetaste".

Yeah, I thought that was the word you said you had problems with. While "empaquetaste" is also correct, practically no one uses it here... not for clothing, at least.

Quote:

5th: The sentence just didn't make much sense. I specially had a hard time trying to figure out how to translate "dio a conocer" without changing the meaning, when I didn't really understood what does it try to say :P

That was a complicated phrase, yet I think we did quite well in the translation chain. We definitely did better (a lot better) than Google on this one.

Sentence 3 said:

Although it was an embarassing situation we can't say it wasn't funny.

Oh, by the way. Yes, it was fun.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

jhuuskon said:

Halmén, you goddamn rantaruotsalainen, you translated sentences 4 and 5 wrong and now it looks like the contextual changes of those sentences were my fault!

Um... I read the English sentence before my Finnish translation and the English translation you did and I still don't see a contextual change.

Btw, how many non-Indo-European languages do we have here? Finnish is one.

#4 was actually tricky. "People can get and have". You can translate that almost word by word into any indo-European language, I guess. But not into Finnish. There's no "have" verb in Finnish. Instead of saying "I have a headache" we say "By me is a headache".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

T-shirt => Sweater.. Awesome..
Guess next time we'll end up with underpants => fur coat..

Append:
Even if the results of the experiment turned out to be wrong, we can't deny that it was fun while it lasted. => Although it was an embarassing situation we can't say it wasn't funny.

I say:
Although it IS an embarrassing situation, we can't say type568 won't enter his chain reaction finally..

Append:
No. It is over. The machines have taken over.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

type568 said:

underpants => fur coat

Well, I guess you could call them so, too.

Ok, now it will be fun to hunt down all the bad guys. According to jhuuskon, I'm one of them. :P ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I blame the Germans!
Append:
Dario.. Hebrew is screwed up. If you could host it somewhere, and link there, or put it as an image, or I don't know what.. Cos' it's not Hebrew here, it's meaningless symbols.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Dario ff said:

Neil Black and Mokkan helped checking the initial sentences.

Maybe they should be fired for #2 and #4 then! People insist on things, not insist in things, and #4 already sounds like it's been through google translate a few times.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

LennyLen said:

Maybe they should be fired for #2 and #4 then!

:-X Still, I did the first translation to Spanish, so Crazy Photon corrected them(insist on).

Ok, now it will be fun to hunt down all the bad guys.

I'll hunt down all the people that apparently don't have different words for sweater and shirt. >:( Notice that it didn't happen once, it happened twice. It was like T-shirt, shirt, sweater, sweatshirt, sweater, shirt, sweater...

EDIT:

type568 said:

Dario.. Hebrew is screwed up. If you could host it somewhere, and link there, or put it as an image, or I don't know what.. Cos' it's not Hebrew here, it's meaningless symbols.

Yeah, I guessed so. I don't really know how is Hebrew formed, or written or anything, so if you can provide a legible image, I'll put it there.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

{"name":"601304","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/f\/ff796e458681b7bf5f7b409258b54e1e.png","w":337,"h":124,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/f\/ff796e458681b7bf5f7b409258b54e1e"}601304
{"name":"601301","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/3323de39329b53f1913b5091ea442954.png","w":502,"h":115,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/3323de39329b53f1913b5091ea442954"}601301
{"name":"601300","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/7\/c7ffd9cd3c822cf218d34269b40945c9.png","w":505,"h":121,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/7\/c7ffd9cd3c822cf218d34269b40945c9"}601300
{"name":"601302","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/833b766e2c252149932fe8677d6c54cb.png","w":898,"h":151,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/833b766e2c252149932fe8677d6c54cb"}601302
{"name":"601303","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9cbab9c33a0bbd3c4d37aa31f387c420.png","w":1132,"h":127,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9cbab9c33a0bbd3c4d37aa31f387c420"}601303

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Wait... That's how it looks in your browser Lenny? Is the order well there?

How exactly isn't it working type568? It doesn't show up, wrong symbols show up, or the order is wrong?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Dario ff said:

Wait... That's how it looks in your browser Lenny? Is the order well there?

That was from Opera on Vista, but it looks the same with FF on Ubuntu, so I guess it's correct (I'm not familiar with Hebrew).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It seems to show up OK for me as well. At least, taking it and feeding it into Google Translate and translating to English produces something that looks close. Back to Hebrew produces similar output too. It might have to do with your browser. The page appears to be UTF-8 encoded.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Fun! I just realized I messed up we/I on the first sentence, but otherwise I think it went pretty well.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Hmm, LennyLenn's post certainly shows Hebrew..
And the first post also does. It looks fixed now.

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

Very interesting results. I think it's great that so many people came together to work on this.

LennyLen said:

Maybe they should be fired for #2 and #4 then! People insist on things, not insist in things, and #4 already sounds like it's been through google translate a few times.

While #4 is an odd sentence, it does seem correctly written! But you're right, I don't know how I missed the error in #2. Oops!

1   2   3 

Go to: