Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » You can't have enough DRM. Assassin's Creed 2

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
You can't have enough DRM. Assassin's Creed 2
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That would describe the first option...

You excluded them by saying that the greedy people wouldn't pay if they had to. You're wrong. They would.

...and I still think those people would only spend(if) their money on the biggest advertising campaign,
if you're the kind of person who buys games

I'm not entirely sure what you were trying to say here, but people buy games that they think are going to be great. Advertising is a major part of that. However, it's up to individuals to take advertisements with a grain of salt and do some research before buying, just like with every other product sold through advertising.

Ofcourse people pirate because they can ???, if everyone would end up like that poor mother from the UK nobody would dare pirate.

Exactly. Nobody's really pirating for a justified reason. They do it because they can. You know what else people do when they can get away with it? Murder. Take the law out of any region and see what happens. Suddenly people can do whatever they want and some do (those that are immoral, one would argue). What do you think the American "Wild West" was? A large nation with insufficient law enforcement. And lots of people did what they wanted because they could get away with it. Same thing happens in poor neighborhoods today.

It might be a free market, but how would I know what to spend my money on? Rigged reviews? False promise of features? False impression demos? I've fallen for those more than enough in my life.

The same way you know what cars and what computers and what food to spend your money on. You either do your research or you take a risk. The Internet, the very tool pirates use to get away with their deeds, is probably the best counter-argument here. The Internet allows ANYONE anywhere to publish their own opinions about a game so others can find it. It's not just the bribed reviewers anymore. Anyone can write a review and Google makes it easy to find them. Before I buy a game, I start by looking at all of the official advertisement material (screenshots, trailers, etc.). If it looks interesting, I'll check out what people have written on Wikipedia (sometimes I start with Wikipedia and then go to the official material). This typically includes a summary of review scores across the industry. I always take those with a grain of salt because even if the reviewers really like a game it doesn't mean I will. It doesn't necessary mean they're bought. In any case, then I start looking for the nameless reviewers on YouTube and blogs, etc. These are the people that will usually tell you if there are any serious problems or if the advertising is overly deceptive. YouTube also often has gameplay videos that show you exactly what it looks and sounds like to play the game. You can't get much more than that. On PlayStation 3, it's also incredibly easy to try out a demo for most games by downloading one free off of PSN. Steam occasionally releases free demos for certain titles also. All of this information, even with some of it missing (i.e., demo) is plenty of information to make an informed decision. Much more than you get with most products.

Ask yourself how much you can possibly learn about a car you're going to buy before you buy it? A car is so much more complicated that you can't possibly hope you learn everything about it. Look at Chris Katko, an obviously experienced car guy, and he ended up buying a VW that he's now afraid is going to blow up on him. It's only been what, 6 months?! Does that mean he has the right to steal the car? Obviously not. As the saying goes, Buyer Beware. If you can't afford to risk the money then you shouldn't be risking the money. If you have no other choice then you have no other choice. There are no guarantees. That is no excuse.

I really have a hard time believing that you've never bought a shitty game, especially since you don't pirate.

Of course I have. SOCOM: Confrontation is an example of that. Based on previous titles I thought it would be a lot of fun so I bought it, but it ended up sucking, IMHO. I haven't played it since that first time. And I'm happy to voice my opinion so the next guy hopefully doesn't bother and the developer gets the hint that they didn't do a very good job. I haven't bought a lot of crappy games because I'm very careful and go without games that I'm not sure I want. It's easy.

Moreso, I've bought my share of music CDs that suck (only a handful because I'm usually very careful before buying an album). It pisses me off to no end. These albums shouldn't even be in store and I hold it against the store that sold it to me that they're even stocking them. I actually just throw them away, brand new, when I find that I don't like the album as a whole. One good song on an album isn't enough for me. I throw the CD away to get it out of my collection[1]. That still doesn't justify pirating the music though. Somebody spent a lot of money to write, compose, record, mix, master, and produce that music.

I know people are losing money because of piracy, I'm just saying I don't give a shit about some fat business guy who cries beacuse the "expected revenue" didn't turn up, I mean that's how they talk these days! it so damn arrogant to expect to make a certain amount of money before even releasing the game, that just shows what the business is like for them, they expect to take people money no matter what.

That's the only business model that makes sense to the entertainment industry right now. It isn't possible to build art that you know people are going to like. There is no formula yet. It's a lot of experimentation and revision and doing your best. Sometimes an idea that sounds awesome turns out to be no fun at all. Sometimes an idea that sound stupid can be the greatest thing you've ever played.

When a development studio first starts out they essentially have no money and need to hire programmers and artists and designers and writers and Foley artists and musicians, etc., etc., etc. These people need a salary because they have families to take care of, mortgages to pay, etc. So a development studio comes up with a game idea that they think is good and propose it to a publisher (who has lots of money to invest). Remember, we're talking multiple people at $50k-70k per year for each person hired, and most professional development studios require tens or twenties of each type of person. If the publisher likes the idea and thinks it will be profitable, they agree to pay the development studio so much money to develop it, which is enough for employee wages, development equipment (expensive computers and development kits), etc. In the end, the publisher needs to get all of that money back or it was equivalent to burning money. They get their money back by consumers licensing the game (or subscribing, for the MMO model). If you can show them a better way to do business I'm sure they'd happily do it, but I don't know that such a thing exists.

How would that even be possible? People has to play the game before they know if it's good or not, it's the only way.

See above on screenshots, trailers, reviews (professional and amateur), gameplay videos, and free demos (unfortunately, free demos on PC often give pirates an early look at cracking the real game, so demos on PC have almost completely faded).

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

So because he speeds, piracy is ok?

No, and I don't really care if it is okay or not. I am just lambasting the hypocrisy, fuzzy logic, grandstanding, over-generalization and other fallacies that pro-DRM people seem to always use. With friends like them (assuming I supported DRM) who needs enemies?

Like, look at this:

bamccaig said:

Exactly. Nobody's really pirating for a justified reason. They do it because they can.

Here, we have a person confusing the reasons why an action is possible versus the reasons why the action is actually done. You know what else people can get away with? Dressing up as Nazis (well, not in Germany), shaving their heads, cutting off three of their fingers, wearing their clothing inside-out etc etc. It is mind-boggling to think that anyone would think that the possibility of an action constitutes the entirety of the cause of the action (unless we are talking some interpretations of quantum physics).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

bamccaig said:

See above on screenshots

Pimped up.

Quote:

trailers

Huh? Trailers rarely show gameplay these days, more like cinematic rendered videos.

Quote:

reviews (professional and amateur)

I don't believe the reviewers are bribed very much, it's another situation. Magazines and gaming sites need to get some spot at "exclusive" previews and demos of games. If they don't get it, who would buy their mag? Also, who doesn't love being paid hotel, food, and treat you like kings just so you give them good scores? After all, reviews are another stage of advertising nowadays for hyped games.

Quote:

free demos

As you said, demos are fading for the PC. Demos are the only source I'd ever consider for buying a game, if they don't look too pimped up of course.

Quote:

You know what else people do when they can get away with it? Murder.

Whoa, wait. That's a weird statement. We're talking about piracy, not taking someone else's life, which is a terrible sin, no matter how someone justifies it.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Why is murder bad? Because the victim can't finish his life, whether reading these forums, getting laid, or whatever. Spending a couple of years making a game or whatever instead of what you really want to do, only to have it fail to return the expected reward is a fraction of murder. The US tax code "murders" us about 1/3.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

SiegeLord said:

pro-DRM people

I know you weren't referring to me, but I want to be clear. I'm not pro-DRM, I'm anti-piracy. I agree with developers that piracy is bad, but I disagree with their solutions.

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

bamccaig said:

Exactly. Nobody's really pirating for a justified reason. They do it because they can. You know what else people do when they can get away with it? Murder.

I never agreed with that.. I just said that people pirate beacuse they don't get caught, if they would get caught they would probably stop, but that dosen't mean it's the only reason they pirate.

Murder? What are you talking about?

I don't kill just because I'm certain I can get away with it(and I'm very certain).
The same way people don't pirate just because they get away with it..
People are more complex than that, even if it dosen't seem like it sometimes :P.

bamccaig said:

The same way you know what cars and what computers and what food to spend your money on. You either do your research or you take a risk. The Internet, the very tool pirates use to get away with their deeds, is probably the best counter-argument here. The Internet allows ANYONE anywhere to publish their own opinions about a game so others can find it. It's not just the bribed reviewers anymore. Anyone can write a review and Google makes it easy to find them. Before I buy a game, I start by looking at all of the official advertisement material (screenshots, trailers, etc.). If it looks interesting, I'll check out what people have written on Wikipedia (sometimes I start with Wikipedia and then go to the official material). This typically includes a summary of review scores across the industry. I always take those with a grain of salt because even if the reviewers really like a game it doesn't mean I will. It doesn't necessary mean they're bought. In any case, then I start looking for the nameless reviewers on YouTube and blogs, etc. These are the people that will usually tell you if there are any serious problems or if the advertising is overly deceptive. YouTube also often has gameplay videos that show you exactly what it looks and sounds like to play the game. You can't get much more than that. On PlayStation 3, it's also incredibly easy to try out a demo for most games by downloading one free off of PSN. Steam occasionally releases free demos for certain titles also. All of this information, even with some of it missing (i.e., demo) is plenty of information to make an informed decision. Much more than you get with most products.

Screenshots are often quite trustable, but they only show you the graphics, they don't tell you anything about the game.
Trailers are most often just a movie explaining what the game is about story wise.
Demos are both the best and worst reference material, while they provide the actuall engine and the idéa of the game they only provide a part of the content, and it's up to the user to decide if the rest of the game is as rich as the demo, the only problem is that this is a powerfull weapon in the hands of someone who wants to sell their game.

I remember playing the demo of dungeon siege and though that it was awesome(and it was), I was so hyped I was determined to save up some more money so that I could buy that game, the only problem was that all the content worth speaking of was crammed into the demo, making it look like the rest of the game was just as content rich, while in fact it was only endless running, uninspired enemies and almost half the game was just a desert.. and you didn't even know you had fought the last boss until the text "Thank you for playing this game"(or something similar) came up on the screen in white ordinary text.. and with money only for one or two games per year.. you can probably imagine how pissed I was.

True, these days I have access to the internet and I probably would be more suspicious of such demos these days, but I would still have to believe it and buy it to find out, but that is only if people actually made demos these days..

bamccaig said:

Ask yourself how much you can possibly learn about a car you're going to buy before you buy it? A car is so much more complicated that you can't possibly hope you learn everything about it. Look at Chris Katko, an obviously experienced car guy, and he ended up buying a VW that he's now afraid is going to blow up on him. It's only been what, 6 months?! Does that mean he has the right to steal the car? Obviously not. As the saying goes, Buyer Beware. If you can't afford to risk the money then you shouldn't be risking the money. If you have no other choice then you have no other choice. There are no guarantees. That is no excuse.

When you test drive a car you will know everything about it you would like to know except how it's going to hold up, which is why you have guarantees, something games does not have, in fact, when I buy games that dosen't work it's just tough shit.

bamccaig said:

That's the only business model that makes sense to the entertainment industry right now. It isn't possible to build art that you know people are going to like. There is no formula yet. It's a lot of experimentation and revision and doing your best. Sometimes an idea that sounds awesome turns out to be no fun at all. Sometimes an idea that sound stupid can be the greatest thing you've ever played.

What I'm saying is that no business model should be present, when you base your game on statistic of what sells it becomes a lame excuse for earning some extra cash, not something you've put your heart into and worked hard for, and I certain that's the only way game can become good. Who experiments?.. I've seen very very few games who dares to do something different without trying to make it a selling point.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

bamccaig said:

The Internet allows ANYONE anywhere to publish their own opinions about a game so others can find it.

Including people who have different tastes than you. Quite often I find movies and games that I enjoy, that most people don't like. And movies/games a lot of people like, that I can't stand. Sometimes I like what a given person likes, sometimes I like what that same person doesn't like.

It's very difficult to determine whether a game is enjoyable to you without experiencing it yourself. That's what demos are supposed to be for, but too many demos don't give a proper feel for the full game.

As for advertisement material, you need to consider that it's largely the publisher, not the developer, that handles that. Just like publishers can make crappy games look good, they can make good games look crappy (by not putting much care into the advertisement). There's also when the advertisement material doesn't even attempt to portray the actual game (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age).

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

{"name":"Q6Ei0.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/b\/db3c73a511dc7dad004c844beb302ee3.png","w":632,"h":1488,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/b\/db3c73a511dc7dad004c844beb302ee3"}Q6Ei0.png

Well, so much for that BS. Told ya.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Vanneto said:

So, should we have a little game where we guess the timeframe in which the game will be cracked?

I'd say a month, max.

Well, this ain't Assassin's Creed, but it took less than a day? I'm pretty sure other Ubisoft games will be cracked this fast. No 1st day sales excuse now I suppose :P

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

The game uses the same DRM, so it applies to the discussion. It was released on March 2nd, and cracked on the 3rd. I kinda expected it to take 2-3 days, but I think some folks were out to make a point with this one, so...

-->

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Haha, damn, what was I thinking. Cant believe I said a month. ;D

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

You said max, but you didn't specify a minimum, so you didn't lose. Still, 1 month max was a really wild guess, 3 days is enough for hackers these days. ;D

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Piracy, is above all, a move against the establishment. Otherwise lawful people pirate games because deep inside they have a disregard for the System. These people will break the law every time they can, because it makes them feel powerful against the System. When they can't break the law, they appear to be law abiding citizens.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Thanks for the opinion axilmar. I agree, sometimes it isn't about being greedy, it's about showing that you don't care in supporting them buying their product, because they don't care about your satisfaction as a consumer anymore.

But the problem is, this is mainly the fault from part of the publishers sometimes, and you want to try what the developers did. Demos and "shareware" games(I miss those really much :'( ) were a great move for showing off their work.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

axilmar said:

Piracy, is above all, a move against the establishment. Otherwise lawful people pirate games because deep inside they have a disregard for the System.

What meaning of disregard do you mean? Generally, the way you just used it means a deliberate flouting of respect for something. In which case, I just have to say "Huh?" I've pirated my share of games in my time, and I have no idea what Establishment or or System I'm supposed to be rebelling against.

So in that manner, I'm disregarding it in the other sense of disregard, which is to be ignorant of.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Even when demos and shareware games were aplenty, piracy was rampant.

I miss the days of demos/shareware too. Too bad this practice has been abandoned.

PC gaming is slowly dying (or appears to) for variety of reasons, not only because of piracy.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I think there's a little angle to this whole "piracy -> DRM -> piracy" scenario that most folks overlook. Many of the publishers (not developers, in this case) are publicly traded corporations that have boards of directors and investors to answer to. That means when a game is released and it doesn't bring in the bacon, someone gets called to the carpet. I suspect the conversation goes something like this:

Exec: You just spent the last 18 months making "PokeMonsterGrabass Extreme", and it went on to sell 4000 copies last month, with no tail in sight. What's the deal?

Dev'r: (WANTS TO SAY) We shipped a crap title that no one really wanted.
Dev'r: (ACTUALLY SAYS) Those pesky pirates. Yeah, that's the ticket. Pirates.

Exec: Gadzooks! What can we do to fix this? Stronger DRM?

Dev'r: Uh... yeah, that sounds good. Sure. I still have a job, right?

Exec: Get on it!

-->

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Well, I'm here to say right now, I'm replaying Tomb Raider I for the first time in years thanks to a torrent. I still have the original disk, which doesn't work anymore. The latest Tomb Raider stuff of any kind was the Tomb Raider Legend demo, which wasn't any "more fun" than TR1, but when I found out this DEMO had DRM in it, I uninstalled it along with the weird hacks to get rid of the DRM and I haven't acquired any sort of recent game since. Most of them are more difficult than I consider entertaining anyway. My most recent game is Quake 3 Arena, which I enjoyed on the easiest mode available, but replaying the last level with Xero several times tended to turn him into an aimbot even though the difficulty was as low as it could go.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sirocco said:

I think there's a little angle to this whole "piracy -> DRM -> piracy" scenario that most folks overlook. Many of the publishers (not developers, in this case) are publicly traded corporations that have boards of directors and investors to answer to. That means when a game is released and it doesn't bring in the bacon, someone gets called to the carpet. I suspect the conversation goes something like this:

Exec: You just spent the last 18 months making "PokeMonsterGrabass Extreme", and it went on to sell 4000 copies last month, with no tail in sight. What's the deal?

Dev'r: (WANTS TO SAY) We shipped a crap title that no one really wanted.
Dev'r: (ACTUALLY SAYS) Those pesky pirates. Yeah, that's the ticket. Pirates.

Exec: Gadzooks! What can we do to fix this? Stronger DRM?

Dev'r: Uh... yeah, that sounds good. Sure. I still have a job, right?

Exec: Get on it!

I think that's ridiculous. Firstly, the investors would be told how the business works and that failed projects are guaranteed. Not all games can do well. Indeed, many games from the same publisher are competing against each other for sales. Publishers don't need to concern themselves with the sales of a particular game so much as they do with all of the games they publish as a whole. In the end, the sales from all of the games need to make up for all of the investments they've made and risks they've taken. The sales of particular games would only influence their willingness to take a risk on a particular developer again.

The board of directors probably doesn't understand DRM at all. They probably do have minions look into the popularity of games and (these days) compare how many people are playing it versus sales. When they see that a game is super popular, but sales are lacking, that would tell them that they need to take precautions in future titles to protect them from piracy. And there's nothing wrong or malicious about that. That's a sensible strategy. They aren't all fat rich suits interesting in stealing your money. They're business men that care nothing about games and intend to make money. That's what they're supposed to do. The developers care about the games and the developers are paid by the publishers (indeed, the developers NEED these profit seeking business men to have jobs at all).

As consumers, we also rely on these profit seeking publishers for the industry to even exist. Get off your high horse. ::)

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

bamccaig said:

Get off your high horse.

Now now, there's no need to be uncivilized.

Quote:

They're businesses men that care nothing about games and intend to make money.

My point exactly. The #1 rule of corporate business is that profit must be made, and maximized. The #2 rule is that blame must always be assessed when failure is perceived. When a dev puts out a shite title that doesn't sell, blame must be assessed. It's far easier to pin the failure on an external source than an internal one. "Corrective measures" come into play, which at best do nothing to remedy the situation, but usually make things worse.

This is how bad ideas come to pass.

Also note that many publishers have internally developed titles to go with the external titles they publish. Whether internal or external, accountability has to come into play at the end of the process. If your title doesn't sell, you won't be doing business with them unless a good excuse is provided. If you're external, you don't get picked up for a sequel. If you're internal, you're out of a job. With the majority of titles failing to perform well, piracy is an all too convenient scapegoat.

-->

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

There's a fairly old interview with Ubisoft spokesman.

Quote:

PCG: What I think a lot of us would really like is a firm commitment that you understand our worries that the servers are going to go down and suddenly we've just got some trash data on our hard drives that we've paid for.

Ubisoft: The system is made by guys who love PC games. They play PC games, they are your friends.

PCG: So you can commit to saying that those systems will be patched out?

Ubisoft: That's the plan.

:P

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

I think Sirocco's comment is very close to the truth. Investors are greedy, and without the promise of profit, they wouldn't invest in the game; writing a successful video game is very hard, and the developer wants to work, so the result is exactly like Sirocco describes.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

There is no safe copy protection. There will never be one. Instead of investing millions into new (pointless and useless) copy protection/DRM systems, which then have to be paid for by the customers who buy the games, they should invest some of that money into better programmers(or more training and research) and more QA, so that we(the players) might actually get to see some reasonably bug-free and good and fun games coming out.

Also, if they spent less money on pointless efforts like copy protection, they could sell the games for less, which I believe would enable a broader audience to afford the games, so they'd sell more copies and make more profit.

But the main reasons any company in the PC games market these days isn't selling all too many units of their dope isn't piracy, it's rather this:
It's always the same crap. People are tired of playing the same shit only with new graphics over and over again. It's boring. There's no innovation. There are too many too similar games. The market is quite saturated. If they keep complaining they can't sell anything they should at least have the guts to admit that it is because their games suck and because competitors have better stuff out there and they should just give up instead of finding lame excuses, like piracy.

The people who pirate games do that because they don't have the money to afford those games. So that money does not exist in the first place. Money that does not exist can't possibly be booked as a "loss" in anyones pocket.

Another thing: Maybe games are just not as important as a commodity as their producers would like to believe they are. Maybe games are dispensable and no one really needs them. Maybe they're just not worth much to most people.

and I want to add this:
I don't pirate games. Most games I play are either free-ware, are older titles that were made free by their original developers or are among the few full-price new games that I actually buy per year (and that's only 3 to 5 games).

I do know people who pirate games but they rarely ever finish any of them. I hear them talking about games all the time, about what they're currently downloading, what they're going to play next... truth is: Nobody actually has the time or the money to play all those games and the fact that most people who pirate those games only start playing them/testing them for a couple of hours then get bored and move on only proves that those games aren't worth playing.

Bottom line is: Good games will get bought and will live, bad or mediocre games will go down, with or without piracy. Piracy is not the reason that sucky games suck and that their producers are not making any or little profit.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

That reminds of that experiment 2D Boy did with World of Goo. It was a great game, many people payed what was worth it to them(and others were greedy bastards :-X).

Thanks for the insight Dennis, I think it'd work if they stopped spending money on DRM, and concentrated on giving good products at a less price.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dennis said:

There is no safe copy protection. There will never be one. Instead of investing millions into new (pointless and useless) copy protection/DRM systems, which then have to be paid for by the customers who buy the games, they should invest some of that money into better programmers(or more training and research) and more QA, so that we(the players) might actually get to see some reasonably bug-free and good and fun games coming out.

Also, if they spent less money on pointless efforts like copy protection, they could sell the games for less, which I believe would enable a broader audience to afford the games, so they'd sell more copies and make more profit.

Games are not expensive. If you can't afford to buy the occasional game then you can't afford a computer or a car or a decent place to live (you must obviously be living in a crack house[1]).

Dennis said:

But the main reasons any company in the PC games market these days isn't selling all too many units of their dope isn't piracy, it's rather this: <br xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" />It's always the same crap. People are tired of playing the same shit only with new graphics over and over again. It's boring. There's no innovation. There are too many too similar games. The market is quite saturated. If they keep complaining they can't sell anything they should at least have the guts to admit that it is because their games suck and because competitors have better stuff out there and they should just give up instead of finding lame excuses, like piracy.

If the games weren't fun they wouldn't be pirated. Who would waste bandwidth and disk space on crap, sending developers the message that they are making worthwhile works, instead of leaving the games stale and untouched and sending the message that something is wrong? Pirates clearly do still enjoy the works. As do paying consumers, like myself.

The games are better than they ever have been, albeit in fewer numbers (it takes years to develop a decent game, and from the sound of it that hasn't change since the beginning). In terms of there being so many similar titles in existence, the first few titles don't even begin to get any idea or innovation right. It takes many iterations to improve upon the design before you start to really extract the full value from an idea. There are tons of first person shooters in existence and there are still improvements to be made. Eventually, the gameplay innovation curve will level off and change little, but as long as there is a griping story to go along with it players like myself will still enjoy playing them. For me, video games are like books or movies that I can experience for myself on some level. Books and movies have also been done over and over again. Hell, look in our very own depot to see clone upon clone of popular games from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Complaining about that is complaining about innovation. Reiteration is how things improve.

Dennis said:

The people who pirate games do that because they don't have the money to afford those games. So that money does not exist in the first place. Money that does not exist can't possibly be booked as a "loss" in anyones pocket.

I've already been over this. That's a bullshit excuse. Most people who pirate games do so because they can. Nobody ever said you had the right or expectation to play every game ever made. If all you can afford is one game every year (which is less than a penny[2] dollar a day!) then that's plenty to afford a game. You can't complain that games are too expensive. They're not. Unless you're living above your means.

Dennis said:

Another thing: Maybe games are just not as important as a commodity as their producers would like to believe they are. Maybe games are dispensable and no one really needs them. Maybe they're just not worth much to most people.

Then why pirate them? Why bother? More bullshit excuses.

Dennis said:

and I want to add this:
I don't pirate games. Most games I play are either free-ware, are older titles that were made free by their original developers or are among the few full-price new games that I actually buy per year (and that's only 3 to 5 games).

I do know people who pirate games but they rarely ever finish any of them. I hear them talking about games all the time, about what they're currently downloading, what they're going to play next... truth is: Nobody actually has the time or the money to play all those games and the fact that most people who pirate those games only start playing them/testing them for a couple of hours then get bored and move on only proves that those games aren't worth playing.

No, it proves that those people have short attention spans or, as you said, access to so many works that they can't stay on one very long or they'll never keep up. These people sound like the social type that play games to be part of a crowd, like smokers of past generations. They don't really enjoy playing the games, but it's one of the things to do to fit in. I have a cousin who is the same way. He usually can't play a game for more than an hour without getting bored. Even though the game is lots of fun. He's the same with music. Can't keep a music library for more than a week. His "taste" changes constantly because fads come and go that quickly.

Dennis said:

Bottom line is: Good games will get bought and will live, bad or mediocre games will go down, with or without piracy. Piracy is not the reason that sucky games suck and that their producers are not making any or little profit.

Essentially, you're saying that only the best 5% of any class of author deserves to get paid for their efforts. Even though people experience the work, they should only pay when the work is AWESOME. That other 95% (the majority of the members of this forum, probably) should have to just hand their works over? Indeed, the top 5% were part of the bottom 95% for years while they honed their skills and innovated their practices. They probably couldn't have reached that 5% without support from players.

Paying only for what you enjoy isn't how creativity works, or any industry really. Imagine: you only have to pay if you like it! Shhhiiitt, a lot of people would dislike everything.

People need the ability to be creative and that means occasionally you will be paying people for their mistakes, but people learn from their mistakes and that's how great things come about.

References

1. Then again, crack is likely more expensive than video games are so you've probably just chosen a different vice.
  2. Evidently I'm too tired to think in numbers right now. ::)

Go to: