Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Minecraft

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Minecraft
Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

The time to make new tools is negligible compared to the time it takes to find metal ore. Gold and diamond take a while to mine with stone, but everything else I've encountered are almost as fast as steel in my experience.

I have over 128 metal bars, after crafting a full set of armor and I make 4 pickaxes at a time. I always find more iron than I consumed making the pickaxes before the last pickaxe is destroyed. Diamonds are still really rare for me so is gold for the most part... I believe I have over 50 bars...

However now that the full health on load bug has been fixed I need to start farming, and from my experience the hoe always seems to break really quickly, even the metal ones. I guess I could try finding brown mushrooms (I have a ton of red ones), but they don't seem to drop or spawn for me anymore...

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

However now that the full health on load bug has been fixed

If you're really pressed for hearts, you can always lower the difficulty to peaceful and regenerate quickly.

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Am I the only one who is confused as to why people are paying for this?

Because it's fun. :P It's one of those games that really lets you do anything on a very basic level (ala Clonk Planet) and since they're so few and far inbetween people really latch onto them. Games where you can put a little piece of your creative self into are very fun--especially if it's something visual you can show off. I've personally put over 200 hours into playing and designing new objects and levels for Clonk Planet back in the day.

Also, the idea of supporting a small indie developer with shareware makes you feel good about yourself because you're directly supporting an aspiring artist.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Are you also confused as to why people would rather play Guitar Hero than learn to play an actual guitar?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Vanneto said:

Does anyone know why my pigs arent dropping mushrooms or anything that can heal me? Do you have to kill them in a special way?

To my knowledge pigs (all mobs) don't drop mushrooms. You have to find them growing. Predominantly, underground in existing caverns (especially the brown ones).

However now that the full health on load bug has been fixed I need to start farming,...

Yes, my last save is deep underground at the bottom of the map... It's not fully lit... I discovered natural caverns while digging in my mine that are exposed to the outside. They just go on and on. I tried to light them as I made my way through them, but didn't do a good enough job... There's just so many ways in. Now I'm trapped down deep and every time I try to escape I get ambushed by like 5 mobs. And now that the save/load health trick doesn't work, I'm starting out with 50% health and have no supplies to consume to restore it. :D I tried digging a tight stair way upwards last night (so long as I don't enter any more caverns I should be safe until I get to the surface), but I think ended up getting distracted and not saving...

Are you also confused as to why people would rather play Guitar Hero than learn to play an actual guitar?

Yes.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Hey, it beats FarmVille. :P

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Hey, it beats FarmVille. :P

Ditto, that was my first thought when I read that by Dustin. My Facebook account is usually clogged up with people playing that game and I still have no idea why its "News".

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Nice! Pigs now drop porkchops!

That will definitely help out with the health issue, for me anyways. I guess bamccaig is still kind of screwed unless a pig happens to spawn underground.

Also, by his description of the furnace for smelting it seems like smelting will take a significantly longer time...

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I already smelted ~20 blocks of Gold ore. It doesnt take too long.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

It's more of a passive action now. I have 4 smelters working ;)

EDIT:
I just had a depressing bug :/
I have a pretty big mine shaft (7x7x30, 1470 blocks), going straight down to the "end of the world". I saved, and when I later loaded, it was filled with lava and I died instantly. :(

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

It's more of a passive action now. I have 4 smelters working

That actually sounds pretty cool.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I like waking up in the morning, or doing work during the day, and noticing my Google Reader notifying me of a new Notch post. I go read it, find that some amazing new feature has been added and then go explore it for awhile. It's like the feelings I get when I order a package online. There's the anticipation of it coming, not exactly sure when it will arrive, but sure it will come soon. Then DING the UPS guy is here! OH BOY! I get the packy inside, rip it apart like Christmas morn' and enjoy whatever it is I bought.

Only difference is, Minecraft was cheaper than ordering stuff from NewEgg.

saved, and when I later loaded, it was filled with lava and I died instantly.

It was noted earlier in the thread that when you load a game, all unbreakable blocks (like those at the bottom of the world) turn into lava.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

I have a pretty big mine shaft (8x8 maybe), going straight down to the "end of the world". I saved, and when I later loaded, it was filled with lava and I died instantly.

Why did that happen? Were your stone blocks (ones that you placed) assimilated into lava?

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Billybob said:

It was noted earlier in the thread that when you load a game, all unbreakable blocks (like those at the bottom of the world) turn into lava.

Ah. crap. :(

I will have to edit my starting position somehow...
EDIT:
Ok, Omen erased the contents of my chests, and i didnt have a backup heh.

It was time to start over and build a proper house anyway ;)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I've started rebuilding. The disaster has set back my plans for some more cool stuff, but I'll get there.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I've got over 128 bars of gold and a few more bits of diamond left. The gold has been rather easy to find, about the same as steel (or is it copper smelted into steel!?). Tons of coal. Mushrooms are the rare things in my current map. Odd, but true.

My village is going well. A couple of standard wood houses, a large two-floor fancy mansion, a sea-side guard tower, a wooden dock, a stone-glass bridge that goes to an island, and an underwater viewing cave.

The underwater viewing cave was a PITA to make. It's terribly difficult working underwater, because you can't see anything if you go too deep. Digging from inside the cave itself is like playing Russian Roulette. Each time I break a block I might get flooded and drown :P

I really want to make a fountain for the village, but sea-level is four blocks below it and I haven't found any water source above ground :(

I've started rebuilding. The disaster has set back my plans for some more cool stuff, but I'll get there.

I hope you make another video when you do make more cool stuff. :D Perhaps not as long this time, though.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Someone should suggest a water pump! \o/

EDIT: Just thought I would show a little of my world.

First, the first floor of the house from the inside. On the right is the farming section, on the left is a tunnel connecting to another mine and on the left goes to the underground which leads to the second tower.

{"name":"600558","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/3\/a3691b2b4016cc2e4fe64a22c1d49287.png","w":859,"h":482,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/3\/a3691b2b4016cc2e4fe64a22c1d49287"}600558

Here is the farmroom, I dug a tunnel from the ocean coming around the farming section so the ground here is constantly irrigated.

{"name":"600566","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/6\/f6ae37e68c2e922c905cad9f9caf226e.png","w":853,"h":488,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/6\/f6ae37e68c2e922c905cad9f9caf226e"}600566

The second floor of the house, it only has a furnace and stairs that lead to the top.

{"name":"600561","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/b\/9ba9fc724136c918c7467586f5ae3798.png","w":859,"h":482,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/b\/9ba9fc724136c918c7467586f5ae3798"}600561

How it looks from below:

{"name":"600560","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/071b8295bcbf73281dc2b501235b837f.png","w":859,"h":482,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/071b8295bcbf73281dc2b501235b837f"}600560

Here is the house (well, tower) from the outside. On the left there is the tunnel leading to a mining shaft. On the right is the second tower.

{"name":"600567","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f8641fb9573749046f81a90cb4eff5b1.png","w":859,"h":482,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f8641fb9573749046f81a90cb4eff5b1"}600567

Now a view from the top of the main tower. In the front you can see the second tower. It is connected with the main tower via underground tunnels. The left small block of stone is a mine entrance.

{"name":"600562","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/7\/470e706a86cda522299c65c510bb3850.png","w":859,"h":482,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/7\/470e706a86cda522299c65c510bb3850"}600562

Here is a tunnel I built to get to a cavern during the night. It serves as protection from zombies.

{"name":"600564","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/e\/ee7f93821570966055e0085cf7465dd5.png","w":859,"h":482,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/e\/ee7f93821570966055e0085cf7465dd5"}600564

And finally a view from the second tower at night.

{"name":"600563","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/9\/09144400c428e0275124aa9af507f837.png","w":859,"h":482,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/9\/09144400c428e0275124aa9af507f837"}600563

Everything on the map is connected. I connected every single structure via underground tunnels. I would take screens but its just too big. Ive got the whole damn island connected like this. ;D

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Billybob said:

Perhaps not as long this time, though.

Oh yeah, that first video was way too long.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've got something wrong... I can't mine gold. I've got a stone pickaxe, it takes a long time to mine it and then it doesn't drop any gold!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Use an iron pickaxe to mine gold.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

He should still be getting the gold.

Also, is anyone else experiencing slowdowns recently?

EDIT:

Minecraft seems to be using up half a gig of memory on my computer, is that normal?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Goodness gracious, I'm using 740mb so far.

-----sig:

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I restarted Minecraft and it seems to be hovering around 350Mb right now. But it's bloating Firefox's memory usage some as well. Before I restarted Minecraft, both java.exe and firefox.exe were at ~450Mb, when I closed Minecraft java.exe disappeared and Firefox dropped down to about 50Mb.

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

He's going to add seasons! That's going to be awesome! :D

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I read he's barely able to hold himself back from implementing multiplayer.

And I realized this game is actually nearly on it's way to become something like http://cantr.net/ in 3D.

Go to: