Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Minecraft

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Minecraft
FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

You'll find it scattered randomly about places with lots of stone. You'll just have to look around a bunch.

Does it look like the gunpowder, only darker?

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

FMC said:

I second camstudio.

Hypercam is working for me. My test video ended up being a tour of what I've built so far. I'll see about getting it posted in the next hour or so.

verthex said:

You must be skipping too many frames and your framerate in the recorded video is actually less than the image your recording.

Yeah, I lowered the framerate and it fixed the problem.

FMC said:

Btw where do you find coal??

Dig through stone enough and you'll find some. If you're lucky you can find a deposit or two poking out from a cliff face.

Quote:

And since not all monsters die in the morning i still get killed at times when i get out of my bunker... any suggestions?

Make a sword and kill them? That's what I've been doing. I'm getting a lot of flint and steel.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Make a sword and kill them? That's what I've been doing. I'm getting a lot of flint and steel.

That's what i try to do, but spiders manage to hit me and some guys just explode. :P

[edit]Found some coal... i also found some golden ore, it takes 15 seconds to mine a block! :P

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Ahh geez... Last night I spent upwards of an hour and a half making an awesome winding flight of stairs from the bottom of the farthest reaching cavern connected to my mines. I was planning on making it extrude from the surface into an awesome tower-like fort, however it turns out that the location was actually under neath the ocean! So as soon as I broke through the last layer of dirt a never ending torrent of water came and flooded the entire cave and most of the tunnels I made connected to other caves... I was able to escape to the surface by swimming up through the ocean though.

Luckily I saved before starting the staircase. My new idea is to remake the staircase, but have it surrounded by glass walls from the bottom of the ocean to the surface of the ocean. From there I would make a nice bridge to land, or possible an under ocean tunnel with a glass roof.

Also, I'm glad I made all that armor for myself even though it didn't serve a purpose when I made it :) The developer blog talks about some neat improvements coming (armor being one of them)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

FMC said:

it takes 15 seconds to mine a block!

Make a couple good pickaxes.

By the way, sweet effing castle and hut :P

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

This video turned out to be eight minutes long. It could probably be half the length, but I wandered a bit and kept looking at stuff that on reflection didn't need to be looked at (did you really need to see the ceiling of the basement of my keep? Twice?)

Comments from me pop up in the upper left-hand corner throughout the video, explaining certain things and so on.

Minecraft Tour

I'm not sure how to embed a video, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now. :P

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I'm not sure how to embed a video, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now. :P

I know, I have no idea either. The help stub doesn't help much either.

The castle looks awesome. It would be cool if you could make old school weapons like cannons and catapults with firebombs. I could then imagine being able to damage those same structures of the enemy and then the game would finally have some complexity besides killing random things for resources.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'm not sure how to embed a video, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now

I just surround the url with square brackets.

video

Use the source (of the web page), Beavis!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Damn, I want to play this game so badly... It's sad that I don't have the means(can't use Paypal) to pay it.

Nice decoration Neil, the wood walls look great. Also, I've seen this game supports another type of blocks that are not squares, but are rectangles. Do you guys have a wide variety of different heighted blocks? Would be awesome for making some more complex buildings :-*

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

I'm not sure how to embed a video, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now

<object data="http://any youtube url, doesn't have to be embedded" />

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

dario ff said:

It's sad that I don't have the means(can't use Paypal) to pay it.

If you know someone who can use PayPal, give them the money and have them buy it for you. The site lets you buy premium for other users.

Neil Black: Damn, my castle will never be awesome like that :'(

EDIT: Maybe I'll build a village out of wood and light it on fire. That'd be awesome.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Try enclosing mobs in wood and lighting that on fire :D I wonder if they'd die.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

YAY! :D Notch just released working armor and third-person view:

{"name":"600538","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7cdd60b1de1981ef3ecbb354ebefe0f9.png","w":856,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7cdd60b1de1981ef3ecbb354ebefe0f9"}600538

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Sweet.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Disaster! I was out trying to fix up my farm and I noticed an odd orange glow through the window of my keep. FIRE!

By the time I got over there almost all of the wood in the keep had been burned away. I'm not sure how the fire started. I did make some iron bars in the basement, but I don't see how fire could spread to blocks six or seven spaces up.

Rebuilding will take some time, but luckily I've got a few trees growing for wood.

The devastation

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That's really what you get for building a fortress out of wood... I mean, the most readily available resource in Minecraft is regular stone. Build with that and you shouldn't need to worry about these kinds of things. I think the only thing to currently worry about with stone is explosives, which I think everything is susceptible to (I wonder if certain blocks can withstand explosives...). :-X

A lesson that Final Fantasy VII taught me the hard way (numerous times): save often. I have over 100 save files from Minecraft. I save pretty much anytime I do anything, whether it be walking across the map or digging up some ore. I don't want to have to do it again. I want to progress with my story, not replay it (well, I replay it when I'm not satisfied with how it played out, but I tend to be a little obsessive about certain details).

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

A pure stone keep is hard to walk around in. My eyes have trouble distinguishing between passageways. I am looking for alternate materials, but I want something visually distinct from plain stone.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I am looking for alternate materials

Use the half stone steps for a different material that's still made out of stone. They stack on top of each other to make a solid block, but are a different shade and texture from regular stone.

I'm curious what started the fire? Flaming mobs can't set things on fire ... how odd.

By the way, I keep a list of 10 rolling saves. I have the files sorted by Date Modified, so I save to the oldest one and load from the earliest one. Piece of cake.

EDIT: Although, I did like your use of wood in the keep. It looked really nice. 'Tis a shame.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'll probably go with wood again, and just be more careful with fire.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Yay! Beefy computer can play this game now! And what a frame rate!

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

You are a victim of the fire glitch... The game sometimes randomly starts a fire heh :D

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

The game sometimes randomly starts a fire

I think that'd be an awesome feature. Seriously, I was just thinking about it today.

By the way, it seems Notch added auto-leaf death. So after you chop down a tree, the leaves automatically die out and leave behind saplings. No more spending endless hours killing leaves and collecting those things.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I just bought the game, is there any site with instructions on how to create tools and such? I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but I just cant find anything...

In capitalist America bank robs you.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Vanneto: minecraft wiki, link is lying somewhere in this thread.

Wow, I'm amazed how little was needed to start a mass addiction to this game on this forum :) I'm also amazed how something simple as this has such emergent gameplay. When I was looking at Neil's video tour I was feeling a great urge to explore those mines. Something I've never felt since I've played Gothic (which I do right now again ;D).

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

In this thread, or search the wiki for "crafting" :)

And what OICW said :D

Go to: