Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Minecraft

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Minecraft
OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Oh, don't be fooled. I myself haven't played it, because for some reason it won't load in the browser. But still I'm amazed.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

OICW said:

Something I've never felt since I've played Gothic (which I do right now again ;D).

That Gothic game looks awesome, I cant even compare it to this game. I've tried playing Silent Hunter 3 but that game is a mega load in my system so I need an upgrade, its 5 years old too. I might be able to play Gothic and that's 2001.

{"name":"torment_790screen001.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/68dc2d2ca0330b7bf56bbbe0bc7c0ffa.jpg","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/68dc2d2ca0330b7bf56bbbe0bc7c0ffa"}torment_790screen001.jpg

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Planescape Torment I have a copy somewhere. There was a brief time I've played it, but generally I'm not a big fan of DnD rules (they look much more like a tactical combat simulator than anything else) and I don't quite like aesthetics of Baldur's Gate - the environment kinda irritated me. However Planescape fascinated me with the premise, but then came something else and the game was forgotten.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

OICW said:

However Planescape fascinated me with the premise, but then came something else and the game was forgotten.

That was the time when every company made an awesome game almost every week from 1997 till somewhere up to 2002. Not consoles though, only PC, and then the market turned into a copy of every other game with better graphics but nothing original, sort of like Hollywood. :-/

I still remember getting Blade Runner the day it came out but I didn't have the specs to play it till 3 years later! :'(

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

verthex said:

That was the time when every company made an awesome game almost every week from 1997 till somewhere up to 2002.

Black Isle started on 1996 and was closed on 2003. Mmm... I wonder what's your favourite game company Verthex ;D Still, as much as I love PST(Chris Avellone is a kickass lead designer), I must insist that you stop trying to derail the thread about Minecraft. ::)

bamccaig said:

A lesson that Final Fantasy VII taught me the hard way (numerous times): save often.

How curious. I always had one save in FF games. I don't know if there was enough C&C(Choices & consequences) around to play the game differently. I tend to do far more saves in CRPGs.

@Neil: Is gold too hard to find? I think some gold walls would look great if you can get enough blocks. Otherwise, I second the idea of putting two step blocks for filling the hole.

I was fooling around yesterday with the free version, and I had made a cool base for a tower, like walls with a pit between them. Sadly, when I entered the base, a horde of spiders spawned inside, and killed me really fast. :-/

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

dario ff said:

I must insist that you stop trying to derail the thread about Minecraft. ::)

Don't look at me, it was OICW that started talking about Gothic and I became more interested in that topic since it was awesome.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

dario ff said:

@Neil: Is gold too hard to find?

It has been for me. In the video tour you'll see me open up a chest at one point, and if you look closely you'll see that it has eleven gold bars in it. That's all the gold I've found.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

It has been for me. In the video tour you'll see me open up a chest at one point, and if you look closely you'll see that it has eleven gold bars in it. That's all the gold I've found.

Quite the contrary for me, i'm full of gold, but no steel yet :(

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

FMC said:

Quite the contrary for me, i'm full of gold, but no steel yet

But mining gold without steel takes ages :-X

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

But mining gold without steel takes ages

Exactly! >:(

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I haven't been using metals to craft tools thus far (well, I've been using steel for arrows and swords, but I avoid confrontation). I have a LOT of stone so I just make 5 pickaxes out of stone at a time. The time to make new tools is negligible compared to the time it takes to find metal ore. Gold and diamond take a while to mine with stone, but everything else I've encountered are almost as fast as steel in my experience.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Will the issue with not being able to save on mac be fixed do you think? Or is it an inherent error between Mac OS X and Java itself? I wanna play godamnit!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The slots don't work in Windows either, at least not for me. If you click on the button at the bottom of the save screen though (something relating to files) then it prompts you with a file dialog to save to a file under your own control. This does work in Windows, but I can't speak for Mac.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Neither of the options work for Mac. Quite irritating, since there is not much point playing if you can't save your progress.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Are you sure it's not just a browser thing? I can't see why a Java applet would care unless it was written with platform dependence. The host operating system or browser might restrict access though.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Sometimes when I want to save the whole damn browser freezes, hope this get fixed. It only happens in 1/10 cases but its till annoying after half an hours work goes to hell. :-/

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I have tried the game in Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari with no luck. Probably not a browser thing. And I'm using the latest version of Java as far as I know. The save slots don't work. I save but when I look again I see nothing really gets saved. When I try to save as a file, the button doesn't do anything, no dialog box shows up.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Vanneto said:

Sometimes when I want to save the whole damn browser freezes, hope this get fixed. It only happens in 1/10 cases but its till annoying after half an hours work goes to hell. :-/

I thought you said Java was mainstream, now Oracle will have fix that bug to keep it going.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

So no bugs == mainstream?? And it could still be a fault of the implementation of the application.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

verthex said:

I thought you said Java was mainstream, now Oracle will have fix that bug to keep it going.

I did say that it was mainstream. Still is. ;D

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Heh, that's pretty cool you all are playing notch/Markus Perrsons game. I've been remarking on that guys genius for years now:

http://www.javagaming.org/index.php/topic,14995.msg119142.html#msg119142

He's a great guy, no one deserves accolades and success more than him!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Does anyone know why my pigs arent dropping mushrooms or anything that can heal me? Do you have to kill them in a special way?

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Am I the only one who is confused as to why people are paying for this?

How much money is this guy making? Are just game developers buying it?

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Well, the site says:

Quote:

5119 purchases

Each at 10€. That means he made 51190 EUR or 69070 USD.

EDIT: One more idiot just bought the game! :D

Go to: