Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Minecraft

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Minecraft
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I keep getting killed. :(

Aren't the mobs all supposed to die in sunlight? I ended up getting swarmed at high noon once.

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

<quote>I keep getting killed<quote>
Yeah, saving often is a must. This game can be quite harsh at times. You could try setting the difficulty to "peaceful" for a while, though, until you have some defences built.

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Aren't the mobs all supposed to die in sunlight?

The worst ones catch on fire. They take 30s or so to die after that. Spiders and explodie green men don't catch on fire, so you have to kill those yourself.

After a few tries, I just sealed myself into the starting house during nights, and during the day worked on building a huge dirt castle around the house. Dig, dig, dig. Build, build, build. Once it was complete, no baddies could get in. Then I went and grabbed some materials for torches and began mining during the nights. I also built an aqueduct to get water into the castle for my farm. :D

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Suppose, just suppose for a minute, you worked that hard in real life... Wouldn't you be rich or something?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Billybob said:

I also built an aqueduct to get water into the castle for my farm. :D

It has water physics? Cool :)

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I tried it; neat ideas but I couldn't figure out how to make stuff more advanced than blocks. :P I'm playing the free version, mind you ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Billybob said:

After a few tries, I just sealed myself into the starting house during nights

I have two different starting strategies. One is to just start mining on an island near the edge of the map (mobs don't seem to bother me out there), the other is to start mining from inside the starting house after sealing myself in. Spend the first day gathering wood and a little coal, then pile some dirt in the door and dig down for materials.

I tried it; neat ideas but I couldn't figure out how to make stuff more advanced than blocks. :P I'm playing the free version, mind you ...

In the free version you can't make stuff more advanced than blocks.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

The game is a physics one.

verthex said:

What physics?

I agree. What physics is this?
{"name":"600514","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3814f39cc4e3b2119ce7fc3b1579829.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3814f39cc4e3b2119ce7fc3b1579829"}600514 :P

I was building a nice fortress and as I was building the obligatory stairwell, creepers appeared out of nowhere and ambused me. My fortress was sealed so I think that they spawned on top of the fortress.

Where are the screenshots of your forts?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'm working on my stronghold now. I've got a pretty big cavern carved out from mining rock, and I'm almost ready to start laying the foundations of the actual stronghold.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I'll let you see after I've gotten enough gold to pave the floor. ;D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My initial strategy after gathering some raw materials from the surface and sealing myself in my outpost was to dig straight down. So long as I kept the torches with me, all ground was lit and enemies don't spawn above ground. I essentially just kept digging down. I did that until I found some coal and then I made stairs, wrapping around the sides, back up to the surface. :D

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I was attacked by three creepers. I forgot to close off my temporary shelter for the night. I survived, but they wrecked the shelter and chased me down into my mine, where they did severe damage.

Repairs cost me nearly a whole day.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Health isn't saved in the files, so when you load a game you have full health. A nice trick, but it kind of detracts from the experience. "Oh, I'm about to die. Save/load. :D"

Then again, I've found it nearly impossible to restore health normally, so the save/load bug is probably a good thing for now.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Archon said:

I agree. What physics is this?

Its good to have some tolerance. Even the best games don't portray physics to complete accuracy! It should be good enough to enhance the gameplay.

That picture reminds me of the "Valley of Corrupted Gravity" from The Legend of Dragoon.

EDIT:

Incase anyones interested, it took 100 developers and over 3 years to make The Legend of Dragoon. Its in the jewel case.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Billybob said:

Then again, I've found it nearly impossible to restore health normally

Once I got a small farm going I had no health problems. Just harvest and replant regularly, then craft the harvested wheat into bread. Heals 2.5 hearts.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

I'm still playing the Survival mode but I keep dying or decide that my fortress is too boring. I thought that monsters couldn't swim so I built my entrance by the water, but I was wrong on that account. Now I want to build my fortress underground by the lava caverns, but I usually get ambushed by respawning enemies that knock me into the lava.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'm now working on the third floor of the keep of my stronghold. I'll have screenies tomorrow.

Next up is leveling the surrounding terrain. I've got a little TNT, but it's going to be a pain to bring down all that dirt. Then outer walls with towers. It's gonna be awesome. :P

But for now, bed.

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

Archon said:

but I usually get ambushed by respawning enemies that knock me into the lava.

If you dig to the bottom of the map, any tile which is indestructible will be converted to lava when you save/load. I don't know if this is a bug or intentional, but it is a neat trick to use. If you create an island in the lava, with a shaft leading to the surface, you should be quite immune to mobs. Just light the entire area with torches, and you have yourself the beginning of a nice little underground base. Just remember to save often while working on it; I've been killed more times than I'd like to mention while working on my dungeon.

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Once I got a small farm going I had no health problems.

I built a farm many, many days ago, but it takes forever to get it going. I can only add one or two more plants after each harvest. Plus the animals started spawning inside my castle while I was underground, and obviously they went and destroyed my crops. >:(

The point is, yea you could eventually get a farm going, but it would take so long that you (or at least I) would likely die before it was finished.

I think death shouldn't mean game over, but rather it should respawn you without any of the stuff you were carrying. That way there's a penalty, but you it isn't totally game over. Plus, fix the save/load cheat :P

Archon said:

I thought that monsters couldn't swim so I built my entrance by the water

They can't swim down, so build your entrance underwater.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Billybob said:

I built a farm many, many days ago, but it takes forever to get it going. I can only add one or two more plants after each harvest.

It took me about ten minutes to set up a plot of forty plants. And some trees.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I just spent a few hours building a sand castle, planting trees, and building a huge ship. It's got cargo holds and everything. I can't decide if this the waste of a day or just plain badass. (I had to cut a tree down for every 16 blocks of wood or so!)

{"name":"600519","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0a14ed6b1d737d453aea27884da2466c.jpg","w":853,"h":478,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0a14ed6b1d737d453aea27884da2466c"}600519

I need to find a bunch of sheep so I can finish the sails. Otherwise, the ship is legit. My sand castle could use some more work, however. It's somewhat ugly, and I have visions of a very tall tower. Perhaps a castle lighthouse!

Unfortunately, I picked "paradise" mode I believe so it's always daylight. Not having to worry about monsters is lonely sometimes. However, I considered breaking up my boat a little and removing the torches so that it becomes a "haunted" ship. ;D

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Please set the ship on fire. And post screen shots. Please.
:D

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Ditto ;D

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I wanna see if the flames will be huge blocks too!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

and building a huge ship.

I really want to see that puppy go up in flames :P Mostly cause I'm a sick bastard like that.

Quote:

I can't decide if this the waste of a day or just plain badass.

Badass.

It took me about ten minutes to set up a plot of forty plants

How did you get enough seeds to do it? I only get like 1 seed for 10 tilled earth.

Here is my awesome new diamond sword:

{"name":"600520","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/8\/e87e321388556320bdfaa9b0184d3b4e.png","w":853,"h":485,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/8\/e87e321388556320bdfaa9b0184d3b4e"}600520

Everything dies in one or two hits, and so far it hasn't broken yet. I found some more diamonds during a recent mining spree, so I should have diamond swords for quite awhile.

Go to: