Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Cool new game concepts

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Cool new game concepts
Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

A few new games have been announced in and around E3, with interesting mechanics.

Max and the Magic Marker

Scribblenaughts

Discuss!

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Since I already have a PC, I'm not gonna waste money on consoles & Wii's. I need to save up for a new mobo for the backup PC that seems to be dieing fast.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I was talking to some other guys about Scribblenaughts a few weeks ago. I'll definitely be checking it out. I'm having a feeling it's going to be frustrating when I want it to draw something and it doesn't happen (like trying to figure out the commands in a text based adventure...).

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

While Max looks nice, it's just a slight extension to a physics playground, and scribblenaughts has been done before and doesn't look very good at all.

I love my wii, but I've never bought a wiiware game in my life and probably never will: they've just got their entire marketing wrong in my opinion. On my xbox I can download a trial version then buy it if I like it. You can't do that on the wii, and I've found myself playing more an more xbox games than wii games now, and almost entirely due to the far superior multi-player and online capabilities. Same goes for ds ware.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

but I've never bought a wiiware game in my life and probably never will

You should change this philosophy when Cave Story Wii comes out.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

agent_smith
Member #10,673
February 2009

There is an iPhone app called Trace from last year that is like Max. You have a player running around and you can draw bridges, stairs, etc

Here's a video of what it looks like and its free to download for the iPhone

http://www.bovinedragonsoftware.com/Trace/trace.php

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Yeah but Trace is really ghetto...I mean like the graphics a very poor and there are absolutely no physics simulations in it..

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

count
Member #5,401
January 2005

The first game reminded me of kirby power paintbrush / kirby canvas curse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOgqdWUDSZ0

I couldn't watch the second video because I'm ahem not at home and the url is blocked here.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Hey! The creators of Max and the Magic Marker must have spinned the rule-o-matic and got this rule:

the rule-o-matic said:

Picasso
Type: technical

The player must control the game completely or partially by drawing directly on the screen with the mouse, changing the playing field, adding obstacles, bombs, paths, jelly or whatever the game theme requires. Extra kudos for a toolbar with different drawing tools.

Or maybe this was originally an old Speed Hack entry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I agree that Max looks cool, definatelly worth checking out (only if it wasn't on Wii or any other console, I don't plan to buy any of them).

With Scribblenaughts I see the problem of not having object you want in the database. Therefore the advertisement is kinda faulty.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Max and the Magic Marker won´t impress me much. The 1st game that I´ve seen do this kind of stuff was Crayon Phyisics, and it caused me a pretty good impression. But now, it won´t be something new :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

It's still a platform game albeit with a run-time modification of the game level. I wouldn't call it significantly new. There have been lots of platform games in the past that allowed puzzle solving through level modifiers in the game, for example buttons, levers, weights etc.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

axilmar said:

There have been lots of platform games in the past that allowed puzzle solving through level modifiers in the game, for example buttons, levers, weights etc

By that metric, there has never been a game with new interesting mechanics.

OICW said:

With Scribblenaughts I see the problem of not having object you want in the database. Therefore the advertisement is kinda faulty.

The database doesn't need to be very big to cover the most common nouns in the English language.

--
- Bob

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Ok, that's interesting, kinda persuaded me about the largliness of the database. But now what about different meanings of the words? For example fighter, I can either mean somebody with a sword or an army plane.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

fighter alone is ambiguous. It would just mean anyone/anything that fights.

Most terms add a word, like fighter plane, or sword fighter. Or even street fighter ;)

Or you have to take the word in context.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Well, judging by that video you type in "policeman" and you get one instance of policeman. Nobody said anything about adjectives :o but it could work, however it has potential to futhermore expand the database and fail due the syntax analysis failure.

Anyway it would be nice to see it in action.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

OICW said:

But now what about different meanings of the words? For example fighter, I can either mean somebody with a sword or an army plane.

Does it matter? :)

--
- Bob

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

OICW said:

it has potential to futhermore expand the database and fail due the syntax analysis failure.

I wonder what it would make of "matter-energy teleportation device keyed to take me to the end of the level"?

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

For anyone genuinely creative, both games are going to be at best frustrating, and at worst unplayable.

Go to: