Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Marijuana

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Marijuana
kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

but still I like more the world that bans cannabis and that way gives a chance to these losers, than a world that allows cannabis and laughs at these losers.

Lets ban violent video games too, because some kid might get the idea that violence is cool and fun. Here are some more things to ban
* rock music
* dancing
* soda
* sunny days
* anything that I personally disagree with

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

the world is one big program.
weed as you call it slows the world down so you can read the soruce code and see the messup logic that is the world. some people cant accept the logic so they go crazy. some people see the logic and try to protect themself from every little bit or the parts they dont like. and some people can harness source code with out being afected by the understanding of it.

<off topic>

kazzmir said:

Lets ban violent video games too, because some kid might get the idea that violence is cool and fun. Here are some more things to ban

I had an idea for a new resurch. " dose eating meat make living things more violent/agresive"

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Hey, you gotta share some of that stuff (what you're smoking!)

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Unfortunately, no one can be told what weed is. You have to try it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the sleeping pill and the story ends. You sleep in your bed and dream whatever you want to dream. You take weed, and you stay in Slumberland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Remember - all I am offering is the spliff, nothing more.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

bamccaig said:

Excuses. If you want to smoke weed then do so. Don't hide behind some fake medical treatment.

The same could be said of any prescribed drug that's also a controlled substance. Are patients using Xanax, Vicodin, Ambien, or Ritalin hiding behind a fake medical treatment, or do the drugs play a valid role in raising the quality of their life?

It's very easy to slag off marijuana, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it has valid medical uses.

kazzmir said:

Why is pot any better than taking a pill?

What pill? Do you mean the specific pill I'm taking, or just pills in general? If you're talking about pills in general, that's a pretty hard question to answer because "a pill" is pretty vague.

If you're asking whether pot is better than Ambien CR, I don't know yet. It remains to be seen. If pot ends up helping me sleep better, and has less side effects than Ambien, I'll use pot.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

decepto said:

It's very easy to slag off marijuana, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it has valid medical uses.

I take it back. I had never before heard of marijuana being used as a sleep aid, but there are sufficient Google results (though none of them appear scientific or citing any sources) to suggest that it might be true. The question must be raised though: are people really sleeping faster and longer or are they just unaware that they're awake? :P

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It was Halloween night when 12-year-old Lucy Gross picked up her first marijuana cigarette, starting a spiral from which she is still struggling to recover.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It was Halloween night when 12-year-old Lucy Gross picked up her first marijuana cigarette, starting a spiral from which she is still struggling to recover.

Yes, and exposing a 12-year-old to tobacco or alcohol products is bad, too. My main argument for the legalization of marijuana is that there are perfectly legal substances out there that can be nearly as bad.

Samuli
Member #1,837
January 2001

Johan, with all due respect, you are making absolutely no sense.

Psychosis is another thing. Anyhow, it's a fat soluble drug which sticks to your brains for weeks.

Got a reference for this? All I found was
this, whichs essentially says in the third paragraph that

Translated in haste from Finnish said:

If frequently used, cannabis stores in the fat tissue of the human system, perhaps for a long time. This would be worrying if cannabioids were notably hazardous. It has not been showed that this is the case but the activity of cannabinoids while stored in the human system has not been further researched. It is considered possible that the cannabinoids in fat tissue launch flashbacks, although this is extremely rare or nonexistent.

Johan Halmén said:

And even if I wouldn't go psycho, I don't like the thinking that I can use any drugs I like, because I know I'm not a loser who gets hooked on them and any loser who gets hooked can only blame himself.

Do you know how fanatic and uninformed this sounds? Quite. You seem to assume cannabis = drugs, or am I missing something? Also, you seem to have this weird idea drugs = all the same = get you hooked = make you a loser = you die poor and alone, right? And alcohol and nicotine are somehow different? No. These "drugs" we are talking about are merely substances that affect ones brain. No more, no less, so no need to be hysterical. Some of these just are legal, some illegal.

Johan Halmén said:

I'm quite ok with booze, because I use very little of that stuff and society and the whole public opinion supports moderate use of alcohol on one side and supports and helps people who have alcohol problems on the other side.

Oh yes? I somehow have this strange idea that drinking ones ass off is a heroic deed in our nice little country. In Finland 2500-3000 people die every year because of alcohol (OD, that is) (source). Number of cannabis OD's? 0. Not to mention the huge social problems associated with alcohol. (Yes, you could say this is because alcohol is legal and therefore widely used. Well, should we not pay more attention to it too than to the dangers of cannabis? I mean, cannabis causes hysteria whenever mentioned but alcohol is always ok.)

A former pupil of mine jumped out of a window and killed himself. His friends wanted to convince everyone that he had never used any heavy drugs. Only cannabis.

Anecdotial evidence, eh? Well a friend of mine told me he smoked cannabis and found it to be very relaxing and fun. Do either of these stories prove anything about effects of cannabis to people in general? I thought so too.

Johan Halmén said:

The guy was kind of a loser, but still I like more the world that bans cannabis and that way gives a chance to these losers, than a world that allows cannabis and laughs at these losers.

Eh? I thought you just said the guy smoked cannabis. Nice going prohibition! And why would the world that allows cannabis laugh at these people? I.. I don't get it. What's exactly the point here?!

Usually I quite enjoy your posts and humor but here you seem to just go crazy. Cannabis psychosis perhaps? Anyhow, next time we feel like posting opinions as facts, let's all remember the wise words of xkcd. So reference, reference, reference.

I don't think I'll bother with bamccaig nor MeMo. Freaking kids..

Bruce Perry: :D

Edit: whoops, sorry for a long post, didin't realize it until now..

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

You know what else is a gateway drug? Chemotherapy.

Boom!

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

[quote Memo]
Gnolam just won this thread. As for pot, I do not respect anyone who smokes, has smoked or considers taking it for any other reason than medical problems, and there are few documented benefits. It just flags you as "one of those idiots" in my head, which I don't feel like spending even the slightest effort to like or understand.
[/quote]

I completely agree with Memo; I won't associate with pot heads. I've tried on many occasions to maintain friendships with people who smoke pot. But it never works out. The way I think of it is; they do it for pleasure, okay so why not masturbate in front of a large group of people as well?

I've never tried pot or any other drug, I was always terrified of drugs because what if I like it too much? I don't want to be an addict living on the street.

Sorry Lennylen, New Zealand Sheep Shaggers are on my 'do not associate with' list as well. So that's two strikes against you... 8-)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Since I have weed experience, I can conclusively say that it isn't the weed that's the problem. What makes the smoking experience bad is 1. simply that it's illegal 2. it's consumed in an unfavorable way (joints as opposed to a bubbler, etc) and 3. the people who think it's fun and cool because it's illegal. These people tend to do other illegal things, or have other unattractive social habits.

If I was in Amsterdam, I would love to smoke and I would most likely never get paranoid because I wouldn't have to deal with the problems I mentioned above. I haven't smoked in a long time, because I don't want to associate with those types of people. But if they're good people, nothing wrong with it.

Weed is a stigma that has become associated with bad people because it's illegal. I wouldn't want my kids to smoke weed, because I wouldn't' want them associating with that type of crowd. But if they hung out with good people who could responsibly handle marijuana, then fine.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Boy, some of you people have really perfected overreacting to a fine art, haven't you? ::)

Quote:

12-year-old

Twelve year olds should not be taking any kind of drug that affects development of the brain - this includes alcohol and tobacco.
Fortunately, it's illegal to sell this stuff to kids anyway.

If I was in Amsterdam, I would love to smoke and I would most likely never get paranoid because I wouldn't have to deal with the problems I mentioned above.

I'll go one step further on that: there are fewer drug-related problems among Dutch than in many countries with a more repressive policy to (not socially accepted) drugs. However, what you'll hear many people complain about is trouble caused by stupid tourists who come to the Netherlands for one week and decide they need to take enough drugs for a lifetime. Preferably several different kinds of drugs at once combined with alcohol. Yeah, clearly, if you want to take drugs, that's the way to do it. ::)

nonnus29 said:

I've never tried pot or any other drug, I was always terrified of drugs because what if I like it too much? I don't want to be an addict living on the street.

What is it with you people? Why wouldn't you be able to try it and then stop after a while? Oh, I guess the criminals you need to buy from don't want to lose you as a customer and will look for ways to make you really addicted. Sucks to have to deal with criminals, I guess.
Another thing: why would using drugs make you homeless (I always assumed the relation went the other way around)?

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

I cannot confirm nor deny having ever been associated with such a substance or having ever used such a substance. :P

{"name":"dpan1177l.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef41277b33cf2c72a84ea46c8a448369.jpg","w":333,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef41277b33cf2c72a84ea46c8a448369"}dpan1177l.jpg

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Evert said:

Fortunately, it's illegal to sell this stuff to kids anyway.

How many 12 year olds can afford any of these?

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7041961.stm

What will be banned next? :o

Evert said:

Oh, I guess the criminals companies you need to buy anything from don't want to lose you as a customer and will look for ways to make you really addicted. Sucks to have to deal with criminals companies, I guess.

Fixed.

Bob said:

I would have been able to, if my parents hadn't charged me for room and board at that age. :-/

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Bob said:

I could certainly afford to buy cigarettes and alcohol when I was twelve. Not in quantities to sustain an addiction, but enough to do serious harm. And I didn't try very hard to get money at that age. So, not all and I couldn't tell you what fraction, but some.
It's beside the point though.

Fixed.

I know you're probably just trying to be contrary, but no. Criminals have ways to persuade you (threats, social pressure, even sneaking in something more addictive) that companies have not.
Plus, it being legal[1] means there is some sort of quality control. They can't sell you any old junk.

Quote:

As I said, incidents caused by goddamn tourists who think it's somehow a good idea to mix these things.
I think a liberal policy is the best policy, but I think there are some issues if not everyone follows that policy.

References

1. ok, quasi legal - you're allowed to buy and sell for personal use, you're not allowed to have a large stock
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Evert said:

Plus, it being legal[1] means there is some sort of quality control. They can't sell you any old junk.

I've been hearing a very similar argument for the legalization of all drugs. Take heroin for example, one of the most abused and addictive drugs. Even the mention of legalizing heroin will cause people to freak.

In reality, legalization doesn't mean everybody's gonna start being a heroin addict. It means that it can be regulated and administered in controlled conditions - a hospital controls the use to patients who suffer from abuse withdraws, for example. It's safer, and doesn't involve the addict in a life of crime. And as Evert mentioned, it's production is controlled and there is less chance of contaminants, shared needles, etc.

I think it's a very interesting topic.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Absolutely not! You see, if we restrict the access to clean needles, the heroin addicts will simply quit rather than share needles! My politicians wouldn't lie to me, would they?

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I've smoked marijuana 3 or 4 times before, each time the experience was the exact same... I got really freakin' tired and my body felt like lead. Somone told me that it's because the local sources here tend to over dry their pot before selling it. I dunno how valid that is, but I do know that should I ever develop insomnia pot would almost assuredly knock me out.

But like alot of people here I know a few people who have gone a little overboard with it. I try to avoid those people 8-)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Be careful. I've been told (by several doctors) that marijuana can lead to mental illnesses or at least bring out ones you didn't know you had. And if you do have one, it can be a Very Bad Idea to smoke pot.

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

I have done it before. I don't do it anymore though. If you have an addictive personality, then it doesn't matter what you do...you will get addicted to something. I get so tired of people that say pot is the gateway drug. Give me a break! I'd say that 9/10 of those that say that (if not 10/10) have never even tried it. Alcohol and tobacco are a lot worse in my book. It all really boils down to how people handle it. Some people can handle it, some can't...just like with alcohol. Pot used to make me sleep...so it might help you. I'd get the munchies so bad...and as soon as I'd eat...it was time to pass out. I just grew out of that whole stage...I hated feeling like a zombie. I don't think that the government should have the right to tell people they can't smoke pot though, especially since they are letting tobacco companies kill off people left and right with their products that have been proven to be more addictive than heroine. As far as all that goes, as long as you are not hurting anyone or stealing from someone...then do whatever you want. It's your body. There are a lot more dangerous stuff out there than pot. Also, most of those so called doctor reports about pot killing your brain and such...total bullshit. Another part of propaganda in the so called war on drugs. It CAN cause depression though. That was another reason I quite smoking it.

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

decepto said:

You know what else is a gateway drug?

SODA POP! It rules my life! My Allegro avatar is the logo of one of the most popular soda pops of all time! It has lead me into programming, alchoholism, chasing women, and reading pcmag.com! Soda pop must be banned immediately!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

If we're coming off clean here, I'll be totally honest. The most addiction substance I've ever encountered BY FAR has been World of Warcraft. I don't play it anymore, but for the first few months, it was like crack.

Boom!

Go to: