Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Marijuana

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Marijuana
decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

I'm not sure if this subject is ok with this crowd, but I'll give it a shot. Do any of you smoke or otherwise consume marijuana?

I've been taking Ambien CR for about 2 years for chronic insomnia, but I've decided to give pot a shot. A friend of mine is hooking me up with some, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully, I won't have to use ambien anymore.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I've never smoked pot, but I grew up around people who did.

decepto said:

give pot a shot

That sounds like a slogan for the legalization of marijuana.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

decepto said:

I've been taking Ambien CR for about 2 years for chronic insomnia, but I've decided to give pot a shot.

I've smoked pot for around 15 years, usually infrequently, but there were periods of quite heavy usage, and it has never helped me with my insomnia.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

I'm hoping for a miracle I guess. In the past 10 years, I've smoked maybe 5 times. Always with friends around new years eve and what not.

I'm just sick of having to take a pill every night to fall asleep. Plus, I've had a few overdosing incidents with Ambien that were not fun.

I would much rather have a simple spliff to light up if I have trouble sleeping. I'll let you guys know how it goes though.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

It doesn't really help me sleep. It does make those sleep hypnosis recordings a little more interesting, though.

It's enjoyable and relaxing. That's enough for me. ;)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

I don't need any substances to make me feel good.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Why is pot any better than taking a pill?

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

At leats it's natural drug, not human made. Other than that, I've had two shots and nothing perceived. However I know quite few people around me who smoke (some of them a lot). I wouldn't say it would help them sleep.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

I never used weed, because I think it should not be used for pleasure.
As a medicine it surely has it's value, so has opium.

By the way, there are better herbs to help you sleep well:

Mix equal parts of dill, lemon balm and tilia flowers
add some german chamomile and grind it well in a mortar.

pour 2 teaspoons in a glass of hot water and drink it not hot but still warm before going to sleep.

To sweet is you can ad some honey (DO NOT USE SUGAR !!!)

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I smoked during college. It was pretty much completely the result of peer pressure, it almost never did me any good or made me high. I instead would become paranoid and mentally drained.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I've had some problems with insomnia this spring. Nothing serious. But if it gets any more serious, I'd consider either that recipe of Ariesnl or just more physical exercise. A 7 km walk before 8:00 pm or before 8:00 am. And no coffee or coke. Using pills or weed on regular basis is sick IMPO, as long as I'd continue doing no physical activities. Or continue drinking coffee daytime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

decepto said:

I've been taking Ambien CR for about 2 years for chronic insomnia

I don't think it'll help for that...
Also, if you've been on sleeping pills for two years, chances are your body has started to depend on them (I'm not very familiar with different types of sleeping pills, so I don't know whether that's a problem with the ones you're taking).

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

OICW said:

At leats it's natural drug, not human made.

Except for a couple of thousand years of selective breeding...
Oh well. It's not as if anything natural could ever be bad anyway.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

Gnolam just won this thread. As for pot, I do not respect anyone who smokes, has smoked or considers taking it for any other reason than medical problems, and there are few documented benefits. It just flags you as "one of those idiots" in my head, which I don't feel like spending even the slightest effort to like or understand.

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

kazzmir said:

Why is pot any better than taking a pill?

As someone who has been taking sleeping pills daily (well, except for the times when I have other things to do than sleep), I can definitely say that if pot did make me sleep, I'd prefer it to the pills I'm on.

While I normally feel refreshed after sleeping on them, at least once every two to three weeks I have a continued "drugged" feeling after awakening. It's a slightly disassociative effect, that I have to concentrate on ignoring if I want to function.

Granted, any drug (natural or synthetic) that can knock you out for several hours is bound to have side-effects every now and then.

edit:

mEmO said:

It just flags you as "one of those idiots" in my head, which I don't feel like spending even the slightest effort to like or understand.

Thank-you. It's nice to know in advance which people feel this way, as it saves me the bother of conversing with them.

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

Smoke it in a pipe, don't make joints. Joints waste quite a bit. You can get more effect with a whole lot less in a pipe or bong.

People say that it makes you lazy...and yes it does...but it also comes down to how YOU handle it. I have no problem working 10 hours outside, high as a kite in my backyard and on my car during my days off. Also, if you have an addictive personality, this stuff is addictive.

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

I don't do drugs, and can't quite understand why other people need to do them either, but I guess as long as people aren't harming anyone else they can do as they please. I used to think all drugs should be banned... but that's only because I didn't want people to use them. Of course, now I realize that there is no way to stop people from using drugs, so making them illegal doesn't accomplish anything... good at least.

But I guess since marijuana (supposedly) isn't that harmful to your body, it's not that big of a deal. What I really don't understand is why people drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes, considering both of them are proven to be harmful, plus they just cost a lot of money. If anything, I'd like cigarettes to be banned, simply because they are harmful to other people. They should at least make it illegal for parents to smoke around their children...

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

mEmO said:

As for pot, I do not respect anyone who smokes, has smoked or considers taking it for any other reason than medical problems, and there are few documented benefits. It just flags you as "one of those idiots" in my head, which I don't feel like spending even the slightest effort to like or understand.

You don't have to like me, and I don't really care if you understand me.
However, flagging people so rigorously based on such a relatively unimportant fact makes you look like an idiot.
What is your problem?

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I used to smoke it quite heavily around 1975, but don't remember it making me sleepy. I can't stand it now, I can't keep a thought going (what was I just thinking about?). Of course, at 51 I keep having those natural lapses, what are they called again??? <think think> Oh yeah! Senior moments! ;D

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

People say that it makes you lazy...and yes it does...but it also comes down to how YOU handle it.

My dad smoked for the entire time I knew him (and for qutie a long time before I was born). I wouldn't have called him lazy. There were times that he worked nine hours a day for six days a week, and he always had a full-time job.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

What frightens me is what pot might do to me. Mark mentioned paranoia, which is not that unusual. Psychosis is another thing. Anyhow, it's a fat soluble drug which sticks to your brains for weeks. And even if I wouldn't go psycho, I don't like the thinking that I can use any drugs I like, because I know I'm not a loser who gets hooked on them and any loser who gets hooked can only blame himself. I'm quite ok with booze, because I use very little of that stuff and society and the whole public opinion supports moderate use of alcohol on one side and supports and helps people who have alcohol problems on the other side.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

What frightens me is what pot might do to me.

Reefer madness?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Excuses. If you want to smoke weed then do so. Don't hide behind some fake medical treatment. Based on what I've seen and know, it's my opinion that weed has a lot more negative effects then it does positive effects. I've never smoked it personally, but I've been around a lot of people that have. The effects are noticeable.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I've done a good deal of thinking on this subject. I think people fall into two main groups:

1. People who socialize naturally (regardless of how well)

2. People who socialize by thinking

I fall into the second group. The first group doesn't have to think about it, they just sort of "go."

After smoking marijuana the second group can't think. Because of this they can't socialize.

As an aside, the first group looks really stupid when they "socialize." There is little actual interaction going on.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Reefer Madness:

video

In that film a lady jumps out of a window and kills herself. A former pupil of mine jumped out of a window and killed himself. His friends wanted to convince everyone that he had never used any heavy drugs. Only cannabis. Well, I believe them. The guy was kind of a loser, but still I like more the world that bans cannabis and that way gives a chance to these losers, than a world that allows cannabis and laughs at these losers.

Go to: