Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Let's make a song

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Let's make a song
Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Matthew said:

Johan sings the "Allegro cee cee" and everything else is (unfortunately ;)) me.

Actually, its not that bad. It would be 10x times better if it wasn't for you shitty mic. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

No, it's good. It's the part of the how_I_like_it_to_be/how_it_really_is thing. The lousy sound quality of the song track represents the real world and how the Monday project sucks, while the rest of the music is the imaginary world of the prefect Monday project.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The music represents everything that is stolen for an a.cc game: e.g., music!

The lyrics represent everything that is original in an a.cc game: e.g., the gameplay (maybe)!

The vocals represent everything that sucks in an a.cc game: e.g., okay, just about everything.

But for the record, I'm not sure a better microphone would give you the results for which you are wishfully hoping. :-X

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Ron said:

Another thing we should do is make a list of credits so it can be included in the final MP3, OGG, etc...

...the rolling text at the end of the video, registering at RIAA...
[dream_mode=0]
I take credit for background vocals, bass, rhythm guitars (if they are there), some of the lyrics, drums track (I'll give it another try, not that I'll change the rhythm patterns, only the instruments).

I took Ron's last rough mix, added the clean midi drum track (Soundmax wavetable synth) to it:

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.fi/johan25/musik/AMs(08-09-24)withdrums.mp3

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

The bass still lags, especially in the last two choruses. I think it should be re-recorded, 'cause there's no way you get anything tight this way.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Hi. I did something with the drums. MIDI though...
If(you like the concept && think it's usefull)
{ I'll work it out better. :'( It's a bitch getting a mp3 on a floppy so I must listen more carefully to the music. I.e. length of song, breaks, tone of song :-X}
else {I can't help}
BTW More cheesy bells please?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Don't know. I kind of liked more the ska style in the original, even though it was mine and not very correct style. I could listen to that drumtrack of yours together with Ron's last drumless mp3. But there's one major flaw in your drum track. It's when the snare and bass reverse the figure. It's just not right. Bass should be on the 1/4 beat and snare on the 1/8 backbeat, not the other way around. At least when I listened to it with my midi player, I got lost in the beat/backbeat if I focused on the drum.

I was going to check on ska patterns and try to copy something useful to this tune. Even some midi files on the net might have what we need here.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

woah. What's the history on that one? :P

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

;D

Hey, it's not everyday I get to reference it and it is taking up space on "the internet," so I might as well post it when I can. I believe it was before I "passed the crazy crown."

Quote:

woah. What's the history on that one?

For a quick recap of the thread, I believe it went:

bamccaig: "Here's my total dissertation on the analysis of today's current rap artists."
onewing: "Anybody can rap."
bamccaig: "::)That is not true ::), it takes a lyrical genius to-"
onewing: "Look at me I'm rapping on a.cc."
bamccaig: "::) That was embarrassing. For you. ::) That would hardly pass under today's crappy 'hip hop' genre. ::)::)::)"
onewing: "Love me. [/beg] :-*"
bamccaig: "..."

I aspire to reach the lyrical genius that is our Matthew. ;D

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Onewing said:

I aspire to reach the lyrical genius that is our Matthew. ;D

Nah, the lyrics don't fit the song properly and they don't rhyme enough. For a spoken song like this, there needs to be a lot more lyrics, all of which should rhyme and actually add something, to fill in what would otherwise be a vocalist holding notes. The thing is that singing provides more than just the words -- it's also like a another musical instrument. Rapping, and speaking to music (which more closely describes the verses of the Monday song), needs to convey more through the lyrics to make up for the lack of notes. Otherwise, it just sounds lame. It's a good effort by the community and a mildly funny song, but genius the lyrics are not. <lyric-police/>

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

For a spoken song like this, there needs to be a lot more lyrics, all of which should rhyme and actually add something...

I think you'll only find that in Emenem and a handfull of other artists.

Quote:

...needs to convey more through the lyrics to make up for the lack of notes.

So instrumental music then needs a lot more notes to make up for the lack of lyrics? I'd like your formula for this one, please.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

Hey, I thought we were revolutioning the world, that rap was damn cool as well ;D

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Mark Oates said:

So instrumental music then needs a lot more notes to make up for the lack of lyrics? I'd like your formula for this one, please.

I think instrumentals definitely need to be more complicated and have more notes then a typical song, with band and vocalist(s). If there are long pauses that add nothing to the song then yes, moar notes! Obviously some artists go beyond what is necessary, meaning you could take one or more instruments out of the piece and it would still be beautiful. However, vocals are not like a background instrument; they're like a major instrument -- something that the listener focuses on. Take that away and they begin to focus on the other instruments. Humans can take information in quickly so the only reason for not saturating the song with content is a lack of content, which usually means very little effort was put into it. Which sounds like all the writer was aiming for, but I certainly don't call that genius.

Most know pauses can be part of a song, but it's pretty obvious to me that the lyrics were hastily written and nobody took the time to polish them, instead using long pauses to line up the timing.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

The number of notes or their complexity is not related to the piece's quality or beauty. In fact, a great composer delivers the message with the minimum amount of fuss. The same goes for lyrics: If you can say what you have to say in two lines, then those two lines shall be the lyrics.

Remember that scene in "Dead Poets' Society", where they read about how to determine the quality of a poem by multiplying the importance of the subject by the perfection of the applied stylistic devices, and then he makes them tear that chapter out of the book? You are the author of that chapter.

You don't understand Art, and that's OK. Maybe nobody really does. But please don't claim you do.

---
---

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

The number of notes or their complexity is not related to the piece's quality or beauty. In fact, a great composer delivers the message with the minimum amount of fuss. The same goes for lyrics: If you can say what you have to say in two lines, then those two lines shall be the lyrics.

Remember that scene in "Dead Poets' Society", where they read about how to determine the quality of a poem by multiplying the importance of the subject by the perfection of the applied stylistic devices, and then he makes them tear that chapter out of the book? You are the author of that chapter.

You don't understand Art, and that's OK. Maybe nobody really does. But please don't claim you do.

Nice. Can I publish that in my blog? I'll totally link to your site.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Some people consider art the result of randomly throwing paint on canvas. I don't. Art is means for communication and expression and requires thought and effort. If you can express your idea in two lines then you don't need to write a 4 minute song to accompany it. Leave a sticky note. The right tools for the job.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

Some people consider art the result of randomly throwing paint on canvas. I don't. Art is means for communication and expression and requires thought and effort. If you can express your idea in two lines then you don't need to write a 4 minute song to accompany it. Leave a sticky note. Tools for the job.

To paraphrase:

After 4 minutes expressing your tool, you leave your ideas and randomly throw on the canvas, creating 2 sticky lines that communicates the job.

[edit]
Inphernic: That sounds really neat :D.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Nice Inphernic!

I've had some good success with this free pitch-correct VST called GSnap

--

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Is the song finished? I looked up ska, and I think a one-drop rhythm with reversed snare and bass would suit this song just fine. But I don't think the rest of the song sounds ska, except for the horns at the end off-beat.
1:1.000.000 I can record some drums. Perhaps I can (midi) sequence something... If there's still any activity, because I can certainly not mix anything. I know my first attempt sounded very...unique. Rest here sounds great::)
On art:
I'm gonna paint Jesus! He's so admirable!
That's cool!
(Hey this canvas looks like a naked lady.)
Jesus Christ, what did you paint?!
No, it's a naked girl.
It looks like your mother!
Damn!

I think it is very easy to become insincere in art. Like: "It's got to sound ska, because I don't know anything better" :P or "my intro must have a dramatic ending" or even "the sky's got to be green, because I thought it up". You can't expect your unique message to be bound to anything ever conceived (even by yourself). If (you believe) it isn't unique what you're making, you're making crap IMO. You may be retelling a story you don't even know you are. But often as you go the message changes: preventing that is what an artist should (most of the times) do.
BTW I have this song I intended to use for a my RPG. 8-):P:o::):-X:-[:'(:-/;)

(Nice subtle hint BTW Mark ;))

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Quote:

Nice. Can I publish that in my blog? I'll totally link to your site.

By all means, please do.

---
---

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

The song is not complete. I've been busy this weekend, but I have to do something to that bass track. Either I re-record it or then I just edit it. And if you want to make a drum track for it, please do. As I said, the reversed snare bass thing sounded to me like time shifted. I don't know, maybe it works, maybe I just have to listen to more ska.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

So where is the latest version? This thread is tl;dr, so the last version i heard was from page 2 or 3 or something.

Go to: