Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Let's make a song

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Let's make a song
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I guess this is an old idea, but anyway, here we go. There are many musically talented people here. I know it's not Monday, but here's a proposal. We should make a song and record it. It could be a song about Speedhack, Tins, Christmashack or just a.cc. We could make a list of available instrumentalists, do the arrangement for the song, then everyone would record his track, making a mono or stereo wav file. These would be mixed down to... um... a masterpiece.

Each track would be maybe 20-30 MB, not too big to be sent to the master mixer. Everyone participating would need a somewhat decent microphone and a headset. And Audacity. When one records one's track, one could use an mp3 file with the rhythm & bass stuff, to get the timing and tuning right. But each new track would of course be independent of the mp3 help file. Midi could be a good help file format, too.

What we need, besides the musicians, is someone or some team to write lyrics, choose the style, compose the music and do the basic arrangement of the song. And someone to mix everything. If you're interested, respond with a list of how you would like to participate. My list:

• lyrics, composing

• piano

• tenor sax, clarinet

• acoustic or electric guitar

• ukulele

• singing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

I can mix it and bring my arsenal of synthesizers and plugins to bear. That means anyone who can send as midi should do so. :P

I won't be using Audacity though. I've paid for better gear than that. ;)

You don't deserve my sig.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Sure. Any software that can handle some common lossless audio file format will do. Midi would sure be very convenient, but "real" instruments would sound more "real world". We spend too little time logged into the real world anyhow, so at least the final product could be midi free. But it doesn't have to.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I play guitars.
All I need is a .WAV or a .MID file, then I can record my guitar playing over the track, just tell me how many measures and which ones are mine. BTW who is going to compose the song?

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Who wants to compose it? Anyone can throw his ideas here, whether they are melodic or lyric. We might find some gold nuggets among them. I have a little spare time tomorrow and I might do something that could show the style of music i had in mind, though it could be anything else, too.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Here's a contribution from me, a bass line in the key of E (good for guitar guys):
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596418

and a simple ostinuto that could be used or modified or whatever:
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596419

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

1-4-5-1!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Mark, the notes are probably a third too high. Your first note is G#, not E etc. Fourth bar has IV and fifth bar has IV. That's a harmonic syncopation. In some music styles it's forbidden. We could use it, it puts some challenge in it.

[edit]
Oh, my guess is the fourth bar should have been iii, not IV. That's BachPachelbel! We could use that!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

Your first note is G#, not E etc.

WOOPS! :o :-[
just transpose everything up diatonically by a 6th.

Quote:

Fourth bar has IV and fifth bar has IV. That's a harmonic syncopation. In some music styles it's forbidden. We could use it, it puts some challenge in it.

mwahahaha 8-)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

[url http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596442
the_song.MID]I put Mark's ostinato in the intro.[/url] There's no melody yet, nor any lyrics. Anyone?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

ostinato

fuck, I'm full of problems today. ::)

--

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I could listen ot it. I can add guitar, bass, a recorder, and possibly harmonica. Not sure when though.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

What kind of harmonica? A blues harp? That might come in handy. That midi sample I made might not have the right style and feeling for a blues harp, but anything is adaptable.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

what about the people thats cant read notes.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I ask them what they want to do. If they want to play some part, they may do that. Then they ask what they should play. I give them notes and a sample midi file. Or guitar tabs or chords. If they still can't get anything out of it, then I'm lost and don't have the slightest idea of how they learn their music in the first place.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

piccolo said:

what about the people thats cant read notes.

They don't make songs, that's all. Or they decide to learn how to read notes.

Anyway, it is not THAT complicated because it's not like you need to read them quickly while playing, so take your favorite web search tool, ask for "Solfège" (BTW it's in French even in the English page) and try to decode it yourself.

quick search

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Eww. I thought you were going to make music, not muzak. :-X

You don't deserve my sig.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I don't get it, jhuuskon, but I want to ! Can you explain ?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Muzac == Elevator music. ie Generic easy-listening crap

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

That's muzak mainly because it's midi. And maybe because of the Pachelbel-like chord progression (no offense, Mark). Anyway, throw your ideas here, in any form, some lines of lyrics, some bars of midi or mp3...

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

Good idea! I can play violin, erhu (Chinese violin) and sing. I'm also willing to contribute to the lyrics and composition.

Here's my contribution: I added some funkiness to the rhythm section which might not go too well with the general mood of the intro, but I hope it's okay, it sure needs to be catchy.

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596450
And also, I added a melodic line with the violin and a glockenspiel (anyone willing to play that?). I think the vocals coming in right after that would be just ok.

I just say that we could be a little bit more harmonically daring. I'll try to add some harmony in my next contribution, but whoever comes in until that, please give it a try! I think this is going to turn out really weird from the mix of everyone's style, and I love that. I don't think I'm the only one who likes daring/unexpected music :)

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Noteworthy Composer rocks!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I could provide background vocals and clapping. The provided MIDI makes me think of the following lyrics:

"Allegro! .... Allegro! .... Allegro! .... Allegro! .... Allegro! .... "

over and over again. Very catchy, I know.

I think elevator music is awesome. :o

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

Ask Ben :D
[edit - to Johan's remark]

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I remember having a video chat with pedro and his instruments. A little bit laggy due to the distance, but enough good to get the power ;-)

Go to: