Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Airline Said Her Outfit Was Too Revealing

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Airline Said Her Outfit Was Too Revealing
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

I would think the coloured men refer to the "walk" and "don't walk" lights at cross walks.

Ahh, you're probably right. I didn't think of that because I never pay attention to those things. I prefer to watch the traffic itself, in case someone who's driving doesn't notice the red light.

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

bamccaig said:

IMO, that's an abuse of power. I don't see anything wrong with what Michael Jensen said. He's welcome to his opinion.

I don't care. His opinion is so vile that I will not allow him to continue posting in this thread.

bamccaig said:

If that's the case then why was he threatened and not me?

Because you somewhat made up for it when you admitted that your statement was ignorant:

Quote:

And it was mostly just an offensive, controversial, and ignorant way of saying I disagree with dressing skimpy.

Quote:

Sounds like she's making it personal. The whole point of being a moderator is to be outside of the situation so you can make things fair and enjoyable for all members.

As someone mentioned earlier, rape is a very sensitive topic. I will not sit around and watch some guy jokingly post offensive comments about something he knows nothing about. There is nothing funny or acceptable about rape. I let him post a few moronic statements for the sake of free speech. He expressed his views. That's about as much as I'll allow from him in this thread.

Quote:

manjula (AKA allegedly wearetheborg's sister) hasn't contributed at all to this thread. The only thing she's done is troll and flame. Apparently she's free to do that because her sister is a moderator.

She flamed him, others flamed you. You both fully deserve to be flamed. Stopping others from flaming you for such comments would be like endorsing the notion that rape is acceptable.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

wearetheborg said:

A whole bunch of stuff

bammcaig, I think you just got crushed. :D

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

There are situations, where women should be careful on how they dress. And women who aren't careful, act stupid. I do have sympathies for them if they get raped, but I still think they are stupid. It's like crossing a zebra crossing. If I get hit by a truck on a zebra crossing (or what you call them), the fault is the driver's and he is a complete donkeyhole, but I'm kind of stupid not being careful. That said, I do like to tease all drivers in our town by stepping down on the crossing and forcing them to stop, because that's what zebra crossings are for. At least in Finland. They are not for pedestrians that cross only after all cars have passed, because they can do that at any part of the street.

In America, we call those crosswalks. At least in NY, it's illegal to stop in a crosswalk or not yield to pedestrian, but its only a $100 fine. And it's also illegal, and fine-able, to cross a road outside of a crosswalk, if said road has crosswalks.

Quote:

I've never done this, but I've noticed that when I walk down the roads here (not in this town where they have sidewalks, but in the small town I lived in before college where it's just the shoulder of the road), cars will get as far to the right side of their lane, sometimes crossing into the other lane when traffic permits, like I'm going to leap out in front of them and sue them for the insurance money. Then again, here in America that fear may be justified.

I will get as far away from pedestrians/bikers/whatever in the shoulder when I'm driving mostly out of courtesy (I know if I'm walking, I don't like it when cars come whizzing up 2 feet from me), and also incase something happens. You know, step in a hole, sprain their ankle, and fall to the ground in front of the car, that kind of stuff isn't good for anyone involved.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

I would think the coloured men refer to the "walk" and "don't walk" lights at cross walks.

"Walk" and "Don't Walk" are so unfriendly to tourists. The little green walking man and little red standing man are universally understandable :)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'd know what they meant if I saw them. I've seen the same thing here, in fact, I rarely see the ones that actually say "walk" and "don't walk".

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

'sup guys, looks like i missed all the fun in this thread:-/

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

We all did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

mEmO said:

Castrate all men! Of course, that would lead to other problems...

You mean like the extinction of the human race? Apparently, the hardcore feminists have their own sperm-bank so they can continue the human race once they've eliminated all men.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Yeah thats a bit of a problem. I heard countless times "Whitout women, there wouldnt be children..." wtf? I mean, the other way around works too.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

They're waiting for the cloning process to be perfected ;D

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

But then we'll just end up as the Asgard, and that's no good either.

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Black said:

I'd know what they meant if I saw them. I've seen the same thing here, in fact, I rarely see the ones that actually say "walk" and "don't walk".

Except in North America ours aren't red and green. They're white and orange/red, IIRC. Actually, there's a white walking person and an orange/red hand.

* Edited for correctness.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

Except in North America ours aren't red and black. They're yellow and orange, IIRC. Actually, there's a yellow walking person and an orange hand.

Actually I've seen a few around here that uses the same symbols he described. But with the colors you gave. I've also seen them exactly like you say, and ones that just spell out "walk" and "don't walk". We need to make up our minds.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Resistance is futile.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Whoa! Does this thread make anyone else weep for humanity?

Apparently all it takes is some failure of reading comprehension and some sensationalism and suddenly everyone's endorsing rape, trolling, or abusing mod powers. (in ascending order of truth)

Here's my take anyway:

Using the word "rape" is like a black hole. If you get too close, you'll get sucked in and people will think you're okay with rape regardless of what you intended to communicate.

People would rather talk about outlandish interpretations of insignificant comments for 6 pages than actual events.

Rape has happened, does happen, and will happen. Yep, the human sex drive is a powerful thing. Be glad it is or you probably wouldn't be here.

Accusations of rape are probably more harmful than rape itself, in the grand scheme of things, because they destroy someone's entire life and those around them, waste resources, and make everyone less credible, including actual rape victims.

Having your house broken into and getting raped is a different thing altogether from going out every night with next to no clothes on and getting so drunk you forget what you even did. I think the latter is the stereotype bamccaig was addressing.

Not to say that, if it was my sister, I would say "You play with fire, you get burned", but it's certainly a "What the hell did you think was going to happen?" situation. And put in the context of a complete stranger, it's something on par with the Darwin Awards.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

Rape has happened, does happen, and will happen. Yep, the human sex drive is a powerful thing.

Rape isn't about getting laid, relieving tension or procreating (at least to someone sane). It's about a power trip and egotistical junk.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

Rape has happened, does happen, and will happen. Yep, the human sex drive is a powerful thing. Be glad it is or you probably wouldn't be here.

I've written it before, and I'll write it again - it cannot be justified, it is not acceptable. To violate anyone without consent in anyway is unjustifiable, unacceptable and inexcusable, irrespective of the situation. No one has a right to violate another. Period.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

Rape isn't about getting laid, relieving tension or procreating (at least to someone sane). It's about a power trip and egotistical junk.

I don't mean to trivialize it, obviously rape is a deep psychological issue, but my point was just that it's a fundamental problem with the way we're wired that probably isn't going to go away no matter how "advanced" we get, or at least not without a cost.

Quote:

I've written it before, and I'll write it again - it cannot be justified, it is not acceptable. To violate anyone without consent in anyway is unjustifiable, unacceptable and inexcusable, irrespective of the situation. No one has a right to violate another. Period.

Whoa, boy. Nobody here is pro-rape. I just addressed real rape because I felt like I had to, sorry if my cursory knowledge of the subject isn't up to snuff. Maybe I shouldn't have even addressed it to begin with.

All I was trying to work towards was that, to me, the comment didn't seem to be talking about actual rape, as in the crime, but career-victim "rape". For two reasons: One, he didn't link to a petition to legalize rape; and two, when I think of the stereotype presented in the article, that's the connotation that comes to mind.

Given that you obviously took it as the former, I bet this entire post is a waste to you and worse, a descent into semantics, but I really do think that everyone needlessly sensationalized what's apparently become a trivial subject. I mean, if you wanna be mad at someone, shouldn't you be mad at the false accusers who have made it a trivial matter to begin with?

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

Quote:

I agree with HardTranceFan, the blame for rape lies solely on the rapist.

Agreed.

Quote:

A man isn't going to be walking down the street, see a beautiful, scantily clad woman, and suddenly decide to become a rapist. It just doesn't work like that. The rapist decides to rape someone, then finds a victim, he doesn't see a woman and say "Hey, she's just asking for it!" and then run over and attack her.

Says who? I'd say it is the exact opposite. What you say looks like a script from an old 80's police show.

The evil rapist mastermind looking at a map of the city, marking spots to prepare for a rape mission, a jack the ripper type rapist. Sure that would have happened in the past. Few and far between and not what people mean at all when they talk about rapists.

I believe a first-time rapist is generally either a resentfull jackass that finds himself tempted by an attack of opportunity (exactly what you say doesnt just happen), or otherwise "normal" who ends up taking things to far in an unmutual way (alchol at party rape).

I believe the repeat rapists to be a group of jock-like jackasses up to no good (drunk at a party peer pressure with no inhibitions, or street gangrape etc).

All inexcusable of course, that goes without saying.

But it is almost as if some people have said that a sexually attractive woman is NOT giving people ideas of rape. HUR DUR. Focus here on the meaning of giving ideas in an academic light. They can't just deny reality because it allows them to polarize an issue so that they can feel justified making uneccessarily and unrighteously strong statements to feel better about it all. That's not on.

Think about the human brain. Partial activation of various clusters of nodes repsonding to input stimuli, the patterns can be classified in soft /fuzzy ways. "oh look at this, sexy girl cuases arousal in other words this has caused yearning / desire / curiosity / passion / rape / love / fantasy" etc.

So finally "asking for it" here means that the observation of them has induced this aspect. You are not seriously trying to deny that are you? That humans do not see other humans. That they do not sometimes entertain hypothetical fantasies?

Of course acting is a different matter, but pretending that the victim was not "asking for it" in this sense is lame. How could she be the subject of rape then? Why not a fire hydrant or a dog or a tree? The right or wrongness is obvious but that doesn't invalidate a part of the causation (unless your aim is not to understand but instead to prosecute, in which case perhaps should mention that you are talking in a legal light instead of a realistic honest one).

This is why i recognised this part of the causation but said that it doesn't matter when determining who to blame because "asking for it" is an "inalienable human right", basically that you should not be blamed for what you uncouncsiously inflict on the minds of others, they should just chill and handle it better. But then someone pointed out that if my view was taken to the extreme then it was wrong too. So I meant so long as what you are doing is in reason, and that dressing sexily is within reason. Walking around naked soaked in blood while canabalising on a living baby while crapping on people, for example, is not.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

All I was trying to work towards was that, to me, the comment didn't seem to be talking about actual rape, as in the crime, but career-victim "rape".

Rape is rape. There are no multiple, ambiguous definitions to the word. One rape is not less worse than another. Stop attempting to reduce the severity of the crime.

Quote:

Maybe I shouldn't have even addressed it to begin with.

Correct. Unless you've experienced it, or have close contact with someone who has, you have no idea of, and cannot imagine, the psychological trauma that goes with it. Quit acting like know-it-alls, and learn when to shut up.

And I'm refusing to post any more on this thread. I can't be arsed dealing with idiots who don't understand what they're writing.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Good God, we're back on topic! WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE!!???!??!!?!?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

That they do not sometimes entertain hypothetical fantasies?

I've never fantasized about it. Does this make me abnormal?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

"Walk" and "Don't Walk" are so unfriendly to tourists. The little green walking man and little red standing man are universally understandable :)

Yeah, here they are mostly a White or Green walking man, and a red hand. iirc.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Micheal Jensen said:

Quote:

Whoa, boy. Nobody here is pro-rape. I just addressed real rape because I felt like I had to, sorry if my cursory knowledge of the subject isn't up to snuff. Maybe I shouldn't have even addressed it to begin with.

Oh don't worry about defending yourself, in this witch hunt things like that don't matter.

Quoted for posterity.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: