Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » why are most allegro games bad?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
why are most allegro games bad?
Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Quote:

Games that crash just before the end.

cough*Titan Quest*cough
If you're buying games for consoles without internet connection then commercial games hold a high standard of quality. But on platforms where you can patch, they expect you to accept a game that barely starts at all until they start cranking out patches.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Yep, there are lots of good and very good allegro games.
Not all of them are in the depot, though. You should take a look at the strings of indie games you like, to get an idea how they are made.

Anyway - you can code good game with allegro. Obviously you can code crap games with allegro.
Since creating good games is not easy, I am not surprised that the good games are the minority.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Perhaps Allegro could use an engine addon. Like plug and play game making.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Nah, why?
TRhe problem is not that "allegro games" are bad. It's more that the stuff posted here isn't that great ;)
It's not a problem of the lib, more of the a.cc community. Don't think that a game maker addon would help...

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

With a commercial game you buy the insurance that you will be able to play it from start to end. You are assured that the graphics meet the current standards. And that's the reason why you have to pay for it.

Nonetheless, as soon as a commercial game meets these standards, it is released. Even if it's completely stupid or boring or whatever.

Maybe on the dev box. Most games have random bugs and problems that need to be patched. The reason you are paying for it is so you can be somewhat sure it will be fixed.

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

Simon Parzer said:

With a commercial game you buy the insurance that you will be able to play it from start to end. You are assured that the graphics meet the current standards. And that's the reason why you have to pay for it.

Nonetheless, as soon as a commercial game meets these standards, it is released. Even if it's completely stupid or boring or whatever.

When did you last play a game? 4 years ago? - -

Commercial games these days are so buggy you could think they had an competition about it. :/

To name a few:
Neverwinter Night 2
Gothic 3
The Guild 2
Age Of Empires 3
Two Worlds
Black And White 2
Titan Quest

:'(

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

I hear the new Halo will be made with Allegro. :o

-R

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from. The main advantages:

1. My game dose not have a pile of libraries that you have to compile or learn to use.

2. My game is a mmrpg so it contain all the aliments found in the smaller game and more. (its a one stop shop)

Note: later ill remake the game using 3d so it will teach 3d as well.

If you copy and pases code from my game you can make many good smaller games.

all you need is the ability to understand the code once you got that down you can even make it better.

I find that people under stand code better if they are able to complie it make changes and recompile. learn from hacking around in the code.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Quote:

When did you last play a game? 4 years ago? - -

Commercial games these days are so buggy you could think they had an competition about it. :/

What I explained was the concept of commercial games. Of course there have been many mistakes.
But, have you ever bought a game with unfinished graphics or no ending at all? A game without manual? I don't think so.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

With a commercial game you buy the insurance that you will be able to play it from start to end.

Quote:

To name a few:
Neverwinter Night 2
Gothic 3
The Guild 2
Age Of Empires 3
Two Worlds
Black And White 2
Titan Quest

Fable. Enough said.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I played KOTOR2, but I never got near what I thought was the end because I had to return it to the friend I borrowed it from.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from.

What makes it better reference than the other games availiable in Depot?

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Eh? KOTOR2 even has different endings.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

Weren't we just discussing how crappy most of the Depot's games are?

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Piccolo's arrogance annoys me. >:(

Quote:

Weren't we just discussing how crappy most of the Depot's games are?

His game is no exception.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

The thing I have found with being a "solitary games programmer,
who insists on re-inventing every wheel, failing and reluctantly
adopting the open-source variants", is that it takes a very long
time....
For example I stopped coding in C, and using Allegro about 10yrs
ago, and have spent the intervening years learning 3D CGI, and
having finally "mastered" it, or rather reached a level of proficiency
that I am happy with, have returned to "coding/programming", so
I suspect in about another 10yrs I will be ready to start learning
the audio sides of things, so that this rate my first "decent
commercial-esque game" will be reading in about 2030..... :o

Of course it doesn't stop me having fun along the way, and sharing
the fruits of my labours whilst I perfect my "media" skills...

I have also found that it is like most things in life, you get out
what you put in..... And thankfully for me that is a hell of a lot
of enjoyment and pleasure..... ;D

www.justanotherturn.com

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Yes, here in allegro community we code for the sake of coding. We care not for results, it's the challenges that matters. Once we see a clear path to a goal, we pick a new goal. What's the use of going for a goal when you already know the way.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Quote:

soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from. The main advantages:

1. My game dose not have a pile of libraries that you have to compile or learn to use.

2. My game is a mmrpg so it contain all the aliments found in the smaller game and more. (its a one stop shop)

Note: later ill remake the game using 3d so it will teach 3d as well.

If you copy and pases code from my game you can make many good smaller games.

all you need is the ability to understand the code once you got that down you can even make it better.

I find that people under stand code better if they are able to complie it make changes and recompile. learn from hacking around in the code.

Oh I guess we just have to wait then :) I was afraid that you were not working on The Game anymore...
I've sigged that so that everybody is aware of your project and stop wasting time with their own (crappy) engines.

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Pleeeaase tell me that was sarcasm.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Quote:

1.code inclued
2. code esaly complied (minimized of libraries focus on allgro)
3. MMrpg is one of the most complex games to make because it contain many if not all elimelement founld in diffrent types of games:

database, networking,advance data stuctors.

Quote:

Piccolo's arrogance annoys me.

normaly i dont entertain these type of resposes. But maybe your miss interrupting my selfasteam for arrogance. plz re-read the post.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Quote:

But maybe your miss interrupting my selfasteam for arrogance

No, I'm interpreting your overbearing self-esteem as arrogance.

Quote:

elimelement

How can you hit so many wrong keys? ???

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

piccolo, I have two words for you... "Spell" and "Check". The button's there for a reason.

And here are some more words for you. Your game, no matter how good it eventually becomes, is not now and will not be the be-all and end-all of Allegro games. Even if it was the best game ever made with Allegro, it still wouldn't cover all the possibilities of Allegro games. Saying that people would be able to find examples of anything they wanted to do in the code of your game is not only stupid, but outright impossible. If your game has all that extra fluff then I don't want to play it. Tell me, for example, how it would teach me to make a Tetris clone, or a Minesweeper clone. Does it use real-time or turn-based battles? How would it show people how to do the other system? Say you use real-time battles and I want to do turn-based battles, then your game is no help to me.

So, in conclusion, I have two more words for you... "Shut" and "Up". Oh, wait, there's one more... "Please".

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

1) source is included with most games, or at least with enough to get some help and ideas from them

2) probably it is just me but when I use premade libraries you can actually finish something. Building a whole pile of rectangular wheels takes a lot of time and effort you know :P It could also be because I have become lazy and want to finish stuff fast. I don't need to learn the basics any more, at least I don't think so. Also when I'm using some xml file as configure file I don't really care how exactly it works, all I need is the data in the xml file.

3) it is perhaps so complex that few people are able to learn from it since they have no idea where to start. I know that when I try to learn something new I start with simple stuff I can understand (hello world). Of course I move to a bit more complicated examples later but so far I have never tried to fully understand something bigger than a few kb's of code. Lots of code may scare people away.

Still I hope you finish your game one day :)
I know how much of an effort it is as I myself have failed to make one rather big project I started and ditched after writing ~10k lines/100kb of code from scratch.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Be nice to piccolo, The Game is the quintessential allegro game.

:D

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Go to: