Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Today's Minorhack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Today's Minorhack
CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

graue_ is a guy from #allegro who just joined. keriostar is, I imagine, graue_'s friend, but I don't know hi from IRC.

Also, you code really fast! :P

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva
Member #4,212
January 2004

Since graue_ is new here, do he know about how to judge?

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Yeah, I've told him over IRC. Also, to alleviate this confusion in the future, this will be the page that shows up when you submit an entry:

{"name":"591937","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b9f58170838b1ed5655c589110a856c.png","w":1078,"h":464,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b9f58170838b1ed5655c589110a856c"}591937

--

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

Also, you code really fast! :P

Not to scale ;).

EDIT: Okay, I've uploaded a revised version with balancing issues fixed, and nicer glass graphics as a bonus. Winbin attached.

EDIT2: Download this_one.exe, I uploaded the wrong file the first time around.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

graue_
Member #8,506
April 2007

My rankings are as follows:

keriostar: Simple, effective, and addictive.

Jakub: Ingenious idea, and by far the best graphics. I think it gets too hard too fast, but still a great game.

Victor: Boat should be faster, and also I can hardly see the bubbles, so I think they should have a color that contrasts better. Neat idea though.

Kibiz0r: Crazy difficulty curve! Way too dang easy, then suddenly insane.

CGamesPlay: Well, it's not a game, so... You should upload a revised version that turns this into a game somehow. It could be fun.

I've turned my thing into an actual game where you can win and lose; I'll upload the revised version in a few minutes. The idea was going to be that you try to fall, and avoid getting scraped off the top of the screen. But per CGamesPlay's suggestion, in the revised version you jump and I've made it the other way around.

And yeah, keriostar and I are friends. I really do enjoy his game the most though, but Jakub's is a close second.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Hmm, neat idea for my game: you are holding a glass and you need to fill the glass with water as quickly as possible, by catching water from the fountain.

[append]

Results posted!

--

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Something is borked at the Minorhack site. Keriostar gave max points to keriostar in his ranking ;). Not that it changes anything, but I thought you'd like to know.

Anyway, congrats to the winner :).

[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

The problem is that I have to write the SQL to insert the votes manually. Fixed now, thanks for reporting.

--

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Quote:

That's what you said last time :P.

And behold: my prophecy held true! 8-)

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

On a serious note, you can register your e-mail on the site, and set the reminder options so that you never forget again.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Jakub Wasilewski said:

unless the rule turns out to be something brain-dead like basing the gameplay on the shape of California (without any means to actually use an image, so you have to somehow conjure up California with code only)

You could use a vector-based representastion of California and have to trace it's outline using the mouse in the shortest possible time. If the mouse deviates too much from the outline of California, you lose.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

There is another MinorHack in about 1 hour. I won't be in it!

--

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Gah, I have finals to work on... is it worth giving up that hour of work...

Well, if it's a really neat-o rule, I'll play along. Otherwise, consider me AWOL.

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva
Member #4,212
January 2004

I did it with a help of a friend (Alcides Liberali). The colision is buggy, but there was no time left to fix it.

Just me and Elias submitted entries this time. So, if the entrants votes on each others, we would have a tie.

EDIT: By the way, our votes:

1st: Elias

Can't vote in our own entry, just in the others, so there is not other way. :P

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Yeah, unfortunately it's a tie :P

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Yep. You both lost. Better luck next time. ;)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Uhm, there's a MinorHack with 59 minutes left in it... >_<

--

madpenguin
Member #2,201
April 2002

I just uploaded my revised entry, and, so far as I can see, I'm the only entrant...?

---------------------------------------------
Cynicism field generator is enabled and operating at 97% of capacity

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Yeah, I think a lot of us forgot about it. I should really add those "notify me in advance" emails :-/

--

madpenguin
Member #2,201
April 2002

Actually, even if I'm the only entrant, I still feel like I won (sort of) - trying to do an entire game in an hour turned out to be a lot harder than I thought, and I'm happy to have even had something working...

Oh, and I guess this means I've finally uploaded a completed project somewhere.

Wow.

EDIT: I've found an amusing bug in the revised version: it's possible to finish a level without getting all the blocks; if you're lucky enough to hit the exit square, it still does the collision test without checking to see if you got them all first, and it'll allow you to exit even if it's not visible, heh.

I think I'll leave it like that, playing it with that glitch makes me feel like I'm back at EA working in testing again. ;)

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Hell, I was really looking forward to that one, and ended up spending the evening watching Futurama and boring my arse off :-/. Those e-mails would be really handy.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I played your game and once I got a blue circle, the red circle changed into a green square with "EXI" written on it. I tried to go to it and it printed "lost" on the console and exited.

Then I dind't go to it and seemingly after an arbitrary number of blue blocks it printed "won" on the console and exited.

--

madpenguin
Member #2,201
April 2002

Yeah, you'll get more joy (albeit not a whole lote more) out of the revised one. If you look at the code of the original, the exit sprite is drawn with the coordinates of the indestructible enemy, instead of the actual exit location (shame on me for copypasting inappropriately), which would cause both issues (in the second bug, you most likely landed on the exit while it wasn't being rendered.

Now if I could only finish my Christmashack entry...

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

the email said:

A competition has been scheduled for MinorHack: May 12th at 9:00 am EDT. We hope you submit an entry!

the website said:

May 12th at 3:00 pm

(while logged in, in time zone -5 GMT (DST))

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Mine was wrong too. The e-mail said 3:00pm CEST, while the site says 9:00pm CEST or 7:00 UTC depending on whether I'm logged in or not.

1   2   3 

Go to: