Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Today's Minorhack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Today's Minorhack
Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Just a reminder to all who would like to participate. I'm definitely going to take part, unless the rule turns out to be something brain-dead like basing the gameplay on the shape of California (without any means to actually use an image, so you have to somehow conjure up California with code only).

So, how many participants should we expect today?

And a question to CGamesPlay - are you going to implement the possibility of rating the rules. That would allow us to weed out rules like the one above.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I like that rule :-/

I'm in today, hopefully. I may not be able to, as I have some other stuff going on.

As to the rules rating, I had it planned, but what little work I do on the site is dedicated to other things.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

I like that rule :-/

Well, everyone has their tastes. That's why rating the rules by a whole bunch of people (and not rating them according to my, or anyone else's, personal opinion) is a good idea ;).

I'm wondering, how would you like this example rule: "The game must be strongly based on the shape of People's Republic of Congo"? :)

Anyway, I hope there are more people in today's MH than there are in this thread.

[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

I am in, assuming the proviso that Jakub brought up.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

I'm wondering, how would you like this example rule: "The game must be strongly based on the shape of People's Republic of Congo"? :)

Well, it's not as original, and the Democratic Republic of Congo isn't as funnily-shaped.

--

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Okay, so we can just agree to disagree. I just wanted to show you that the rule appears stupid when you replace the familiar (to you) shape of California with something obscure. But as you obviously don't think so, well, case closed, and I'll stop derailing my own thread ;).

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Either way, rule rating is in the to-do list. It's just very slow progress.

--

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva
Member #4,212
January 2004

I'm in my java class and the teacher is speaking about JSP. Maybe I can start programming a minorhack game when he is just talking about JSP and HTTP. If nobody see I working, maybe I could do). ;D

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Ugh, looks like I will have reduced time to work on the project, and potentially even none.

--

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Not good :-\.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

#include <allegro.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
  allegro_init();
  install_keyboard();
  set_color_depth(16);
  set_gfx_mode(GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED, 640, 480, 0, 0);
  readkey();
}
END_OF_MAIN()

As if familial obligations weren't enough, this program doesn't respond to keyboard input on my machine.

[append]
Rebuilding Allegro fixed 8-)

--

Member #4,212
January 2004

I finished with 7 minutes to spare. ;D:P:D

Never did a game so quickly! 53 minutes!

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

55 minutes and it's working. As a bonus, I used the TimeSnapper program CGamesPlay linked to in the other thread to document my progress - so expect a video of my mighty struggles shortly ;).

It's called "Poisoned Water" and it's a simple mini-game like all my MinorHack entries, I think.

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Darn, forgot about it! :'(

Too busy watching anime. Some pretty good series out there.

Member #4,212
January 2004

Quote:

The competition has -9 seconds left!

:P

EDIT:

Quote:

The competition has -1 minutes and -6 seconds left! Upload your entry

:)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

The upload window is 65 minutes long, to account for people making last-minute changes to allow it to compile.

--

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Oh man, I really like my entry.

Leaky Ceiling

In a time when ceiling integrity has collapsed, one bucket stands against a torrential downpour. One badass bucket. This bucket... is you.

Controls: A/D or Left/Right.
Collect the droplets of water.
Don't drown.

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

I uploaded the Windows binaries on the site. Now, on to actually playing the games :).

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Ack, completely forgot about this one! :'(

There's always next time ...

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

There's always next time ...

That's what you said last time :P.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Kibiz0r: you need to learn how to handle pointers. After applying this patch, your entry actually didn't crash:

1--- Kibiz0r.cpp 2007-04-14 16:16:12.000000000 -0400
2+++ Kibiz0r_r.cpp 2007-04-14 16:15:51.000000000 -0400
3@@ -92,7 +92,7 @@
4 (*i)->GetX() < m_x + 50 &&
5 (*i)->GetX() > m_x - 50)
6 {
7- delete (&i);
8+ delete *i;
9 i = drops.erase(i);
10 }
11 else
12@@ -181,7 +181,7 @@
13 (*i)->Act();
14 if ((*i)->GetY() > SCREEN_H)
15 {
16- delete (&i);
17+ delete *i;
18 i = drops.erase(i);
19 waterLevel++;
20 }

My ranking, in order:

keriostar: Good game, simple and easy to play. Has good difficulty and advancement.

Jakub Wasilewski: Very cool game, good graphics.

Kibiz0r: After fixing it, it was a good game. It would have been nice if you had made more raindrops fall at once instead of increasing the speed. It starts to feel like someone is actually shooting water at me :P Also the water level rises quite slowly.

graue_: Cool game, but you have it backwards! The water makes it easier to "win". If it worked where you had to jump up the tower that scrolled down, despite the rain, it would be really cool. Maybe you will work on it more? :)

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva: Good game but the bubbles move very slowly, and even more so I move slowly, so it's boring fast.

It was tough ranking the entries. All of the entries (except mine) are very high quality. I'm extremely pleased with the turn out this time :)

--

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

RANKING:

Jakub -- looked pretty, what can I say?
Victor -- interesting, but the boat is too damn slow!
keriostar -- basically my game, but without a badass bucket 8-)
graue_ -- there's a cool idea in there... unfortunately, the "goal" is not very clear or intuitive and there's not really a way to win or lose (yet?)
CGamesPlay -- when you said

Quote:

[15:03] CGamesPlay: I am going to code a tetris game where the completed lines turn into water and splash away

I almost said "In one hour?", but I held my tongue (fingers?). For this, I apologize.

IT IS DONE

Edit:

My Code said:

delete (&i);

roflroflroflrofl

By the way, that should be changed to *i, that line shouldn't be in there in the first place.

I guess I should use something with more robust debugging than TextPad, eh?

Member #4,212
January 2004

My ranking:

1st - Jakub: Nice idea!
2nd - keriostar: Not bad. Exciting.
3rd - Kibiz0r: Good idea, but it takes toooooo long to drown.
4th - graue_: Can i win? Can i lose?
5th - CGamesPlay: I thought it should be a game...

keriostar
Member #8,525
April 2007

Ranking (from best to worst):

graue_ - I really like the concept for some reason, and having the rain rust the platforms is creative.
Victor - The general feel of the game seems cool to me somehow.
Jakub - Seems very nice and polished.
Kibiz0r - Like you said, pretty much my game with a badass bucket.
CGamesPlay - Looks very nice, but (as you said) isn't a game.

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Okay, so I hacked together the video I promised. It just looks so neat to see the code unravel itself on the screen. Other than that, it's totally dull, but a promise is a promise, right? ;)

My ranking:

keriostar - a solid idea and good execution. I had a tough time judging this, because Kibiz0r's game was practically the same thing, and it had better graphics (if we can talk about graphics in a 1-hour game). But keriostar's game had the superior gameplay, with the inertia and the floating all adding to create a more satisfying experience.
Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva - best graphics of all the entries, simple as they may be. Fun for a while, and fortunately it usually kills you off before you get bored.
Kibiz0r - nice graphics, solid idea, but not really an original one - so it could only work with perfect execution. My main beef with this entry is that it's way too easy in the beginning, and then it quickly becomes nearly impossible.
graue_ - nice rain. Well, it's something.
CGamesPlay - well, it does feature water :).

Now, who are you, keriostar and graue_? I don't think I've seen you before :).

* the video is the first thing I did with mencoder, which has a kajillion options, so if you can't watch it, well, tough luck.

1   2   3 

Go to: