Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » LOVE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Credits go to CGamesPlay, Matthew Leverton, and Onewing for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
LOVE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

I won't celebrate Valentine's day, because someone made that a day when you should go and buy a present to a significant other

Although it's not nearly as bad as this

Quote:

...the diamond engagement ring did not become the standard it is considered today until after an extensive marketing campaign by De Beers in the middle of the 20th century, which came to include the most famous advertising slogan of the 20th century “A Diamond is Forever”.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engagement_ring

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Arthur: well my point was that this cuostom was imported here, I don't care whether overseas they celebrate or not, but I have strong objections against celebrating it here. Besides this is only hypotheticaly speaking - there's a chance that I'd be acting differently if I'd have some relationship.

About that diamond ring I don't know - though I'd not have enough money to buy it, besides I prefer simple rings. It seems like Coca Cola invented Santa Claus, I wonder how Christmas were celebrated before Santa.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I wonder how Christmas were celebrated before Santa.

Saint Nick? Sinterklaus? Whatever his name is in your area of the world..

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

What is love? ???

Baby don't hurt me 8-)

Sorry, I had to...

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Great! Now I have a reason to NOT buy the damn thing!

-R

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

What is love? ???

Baby don't hurt me 8-)

That's tune is now running round my head and won't drop out! :)

That was a great roller skating song (as you do on a Valetines day date) :D

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Fladimir: it was the first thing that ran through my head when I saw this thread ;)

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

Quote:

“A Diamond is Forever”.

Bah. Diamonds aren't even stable at this athmospheric pressure. They revert right back to coal in a few million years. Now that's what I call false advertising. (I used to take Minerology)

Anyways, I wasn't planning on doing anything for Valentine's day, but some girl at the lab I work at gave me a heart-shaped chocolate. So I said thank you. And then I ate it. Which would be the first thing I've ever done for Valentine's day in the last 20 years. ;D

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Quote:

Happy Valentines Day Diana!

I hope you have a really lovely day. :)

Thanks, happy valentine's day to you too Richard! My day's has been good, even though I've spent most of it at work. I love spending days like these with kids (I work in a school). :)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

I love spending days like these with kids (I work in a school). :)

Can't resist! Poor kids ;)

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Loud music is my girlfriend this year. :) :(

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Diana said:

Credits go to cgamesplay and onewing because they are the only ones who understand this whole Valentine's Day thing.

I clearly indicated I understand this whole Valentine's Day thing when I said:

Anyway, Valentine's Day is a good day to do something to show you love - or like - someone. That doesn't mean you have to buy anything. You could write her a nice demo using Allegro :D

You owe Evert and me a special evening (each) :-*

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Quote:

Here's my question to you guys: Would you refuse to celebrate Valentine's Day even if you had a lovely significant other who was into the whole gift giving thing?

I bought some flowers for my gf. We're not really into Valentine's day but it's been a while since I bought her flowers so I thought what the heck...

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Not only is today Valentine's Day, but it is also hump day. Nice huh?

Bruce Perry: You're right, I should have given you and Evert credits too.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Yay! <3

Hmm, I vaguely remember Valentine's Day at school when I was a kid. I didn't understand it at all ;D Do the kids at your school understand it?

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Not only is today Valentine's Day, but it is also hump day. Nice huh?

And for all those single guys out there, I believe you now have a pickup line. ;D

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Well, I just got cockblocked by my drawing teacher. He assigned us about 10 hours of homework, and my ex-date and I both have his class tomorrow.

I'm thinking of composing a romantic text message detailing how Valentine's Day only comes once a year, but chances for extra credit happen several times in a semester.

If someone thinks this is a bad idea, speak up. Broad romantic gestures are uncharted territory for me.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Why don't you ask her if you want to work together on the extra work?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

{"name":"vdqf3.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/8\/d898dd6a8c1b7fcd74aaf57e226c68a2.gif","w":402,"h":302,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/8\/d898dd6a8c1b7fcd74aaf57e226c68a2"}vdqf3.gif

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

{"name":"591219","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a8fe8ebc17bb4abd9a9f0365404eaba.jpg","w":438,"h":328,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a8fe8ebc17bb4abd9a9f0365404eaba"}591219

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Andrei Ellman's post made me laugh out so loud at the office that some people came to see my monitor. I don't think they understood the joke, though.

-R

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I don't understand it at all.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Bruce Perry said:

Hmm, I vaguely remember Valentine's Day at school when I was a kid. I didn't understand it at all ;D Do the kids at your school understand it?

Yeah, I suppose they do... They really like the fact that they can give us (teaching staff) and their friends hugs and presents without having to explain themselves.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Quote:

I don't really care about that. I'm not buying pathetic gifts to make a girl happy. I'm demonstrating that I care on a day reserved for that purpose. Doesn't matter who the day is reserved by, what matters is making a person feel special.

Well said.

Why participate in this mockery of relationships? bringing flowers unexpectedly is much more rewarding for a relationship.

And yesterday there as a football much on :-).

Ceagon Xylas
Member #5,495
February 2005

Oops. I slept through the entire day :P Had stayed up for 36 hours before it... So... I missed everything.

As for the original question

Quote:

Would you refuse to celebrate Valentine's Day even if you had a lovely significant other who was into the whole gift giving thing? :'(

Yep!

Go to: