LOVE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wearetheborg

Happy Valentine's Day my lovelies! Discuss all your plans for tomorrow/relationship problems/love issues in this thread. I will try my darndest hardest to give good advice to those who need it.

Here's my question to you guys: Would you refuse to celebrate Valentine's Day even if you had a lovely significant other who was into the whole gift giving thing? :'(

ngiacomelli
Quote:

Here's my question to you guys: Would you refuse to celebrate Valentine's Day even if you had a lovely significant other who was into the whole gift giving thing? :'(

I think that Valentine's day is pretty much something special for the ladies, rather than the men. To answer your question: no.

My plans for Valentine's day: I've spent today preparing (read: trying to cook) a nice desert and soup starter from scratch. Tomorrow shall be spent preparing the main course for a nice quiet dinner. Roses, gifts. The usual.

Kibiz0r

I have a first date tomorrow. It kind of fell on Valentine's Day by happenstance, it wasn't really a deliberate scheduling.

I figure flowers -> movie -> sex coffee. y/n?

LennyLen
Quote:

Here's my question to you guys: Would you refuse to celebrate Valentine's Day even if you had a lovely significant other who was into the whole gift giving thing?

I'm not personally into the whole Valentine's Day thing, but I've never refused to celebrate it with a girl. It's really not worth getting into a fight over.

I'm not looking forward to work tonight. We're fully booked all night, and we're trying to cut down on wage costs at the moment, so we'll be understaffed. Happy Valentine's Day indeed.

CGamesPlay

I'm going to stop by the store and get a few carnations to give to the girls I see on Wednesdays. Yay! ;D

Michael Faerber

Hmmm ... this thread comes just right.

You know, there is a girl I would like to get more in contact with, however, I am not sure if she could really become my friend. I know her address, and I thought about visiting her this week by surprise. Do you think that could work?

Also, more in general, what do you do when you see a group of girls standing around and talking to each other, and you want to "get into the group": Do you walk near them, listen what they are talking about and then suddenly contributing something to the topic? I'm really clueless about this one ...

SonShadowCat

I know I should get some roses for my gf but I totally despise any special day and she knows this.

CGamesPlay
Quote:

I know her address, and I thought about visiting her this week by surprise. Do you think that could work?

Hahaha, best idea ever!

Rampage

I'll go get some roses and maybe a teddy bear for my girlfriend later today.

Evert
Quote:

Would you refuse to celebrate Valentine's Day even if you had a lovely significant other who was into the whole gift giving thing?

In principle, yes. In practice, probably not.
I might specifically do something the day or week before and announce I'm skipping Valentine's Day.

Quote:

Discuss all your plans for tomorrow

Work. Decide later wether or not to go see a movie in the evening.

Quote:

relationship problems

I don't have one. Other than that, it's fine. No advice you can give there I haven't given myself; just need to meet a nice(*) girl for a change.

(*) ok, I know many girls who are nice. They're just not nice in the special sense.

HoHo

Current plans are to get home earlier to spend the evening with a GFWS. Perhaps I can officially drop the "WS" part after that :)

As for the question, I probably wouldn't refuse. It is always nice to make others feel good.

Bob Keane

Michael Faerber: Send er a card or roses. Meet her on the street or public place. I think if you go to her place you may appear as a stalker. GL.

CGamesPlay

Why hate Valentine's Day?

[append]

Quote:

Perhaps I can officially drop the "WS" part after that :)

Now that's the kind of news I like to hear! :)

Kibiz0r
Quote:

Also, more in general, what do you do when you see a group of girls standing around and talking to each other, and you want to "get into the group": Do you walk near them, listen what they are talking about and then suddenly contributing something to the topic? I'm really clueless about this one ...

You have to think like a predator. Girls travel in packs. You want to strike when one gets separated from the pack. If you go after the pack itself, your hunt will not go well unless you are an experienced predator.

OICW

The answer to the question is yes. I won't celebrate Valentine's day, because someone made that a day when you should go and buy a present to a significant other. If I want to give some present, I'll give it anyday. And I'd explain that to her.

My plan for tommorow is to see my new bed plus other thingies for a room and then play as a miner in our basement to get the garbage out of there.

Besides I must second Evert on that relationship issue.

Edit:

Quote:

That could work. But if you want to speak with a specific girl, it's a bad idea. Trust me, I know it.

Rampage

I wonder if Chris Katko will post about his Valentine Day with... Amber? Is that her name?

:D

OICW

Yeah it is. Besides we need some update about project Amber... If I recall correctly he hasn't been around here for a time. I wonder what happened to Deathwish. :-[

Rampage
Quote:

I wonder what happened to Deathwish.

It either became just Death (the wish came true), or project Amber took all the available time.

HoHo

Forgot to mention I'll get her some real flower. Not something that will dry in a couple of days but something that grows in a pot :)

relay01

I personally think that valentines day is a lousy commercial scam of a holiday. My girlfriend has said she agrees with me. However I feel she may feel a bit more for the holiday than she lets on to believe. That being said, we will not be getting each other gifts, but I will be taking her out to dinner.

CGamesPlay
Quote:

I personally think that valentines day is a lousy commercial scam of a holiday.

Yeah, but who cares? :-/

FMC
Quote:

I'm not personally into the whole Valentine's Day thing, but I've never refused to celebrate it with a girl. It's really not worth getting into a fight over.

Ditto :)

Onewing

It's funny, a week or so ago, I was playing with my Wii (;D) whilst me loving wife checked her myspace. A few moments later I turned around to see her typing a post here on a.cc. So, I got a little closer and read what she was planning to post. Something about "ever wonder what your geek is doing?" kind of thread, aimed at the significant others in our lives. Apparently, she's been reading some of my previous posts since I often leave a.cc up when I leave.

I told her it wouldn't make much sense, considering she was posting under my name and that I doubt many other's partners check a.cc. However, perhaps this a thread she'd actually want to give some input on...

relay01
if(date_goes_well == TRUE)
  {
    sex++;
  }
else
  happiness--;

Onewing

@relay: Wait...if sex increases, happiness doesn't?

relay01

sex is a vector quantity which includes a quantity of happiness... i don't care if it doesn't compute... computers do not understand love... Or so that's what they want us to think. ;)

Evert
Quote:

what do you do when you see a group of girls standing around and talking to each other, and you want to "get into the group": Do you walk near them, listen what they are talking about and then suddenly contributing something to the topic?

If you want to "get into the group"? Like you would do with any group you want to get into: stand with them and join the conversation (note: you need to check wether the group is "open" or "closed" to other people joining it; this is usually fairly obvious from the body language). Don't go walking around them obviously minding your own business or listening waiting for an opening to jump in, because both will be obvious and appear forced. If you have to, find a reason to be near and then openly pick up on their conversation. Make eye contact and get permission to "join the conversation".
If your intend is to get to talk to a specific girl from that group, don't try to enter the group as a whole. She isn't available to talk to if she's talking to the group.

Quote:

I won't celebrate Valentine's day, because someone made that a day when you should go and buy a present to a significant other.

Indeed. Actually, I'm worse than that. The more peer pressure there is to do something, the more likely I am to not do it. However, I suspect that if I did have a relationship I would do something. Just something slightly more original than a teddy bear with a heart and a bouqet of roses that has "Valentine's Day" written on it in big capital letters.

Quote:

I personally think that valentines day is a lousy commercial scam of a holiday.

So is Christmas. Doesn't stop me from celebrating that (though I don't do presents with Christmas, presents go with Sinterklaas).

Matthew Leverton
Quote:

I might specifically do something the day or week before and announce I'm skipping Valentine's Day.

It does not work that way! Even with such prior agreement, you will get in big trouble.

I used to work with this man (he has kids my age) ... he came into the office on VD all happy that he and his wife had agreed to just go out to eat with some friends at a nice restaurant and that buying $50 worth of flowers that were just going to die was a waste of money. But of course, he gets a call at work in the morning from his wife who is all upset that "all the other women in the office" are getting flowers. :P

Him> "Are they all getting to go out to the best restaurant in town?"
Her> "No, but I don't care. I want flowers. :'("

It's stupid because you can give gifts 364 days out of the year on every day, but if you don't give one on VD, you "don't love her." On the flip side, you can be a jerk 364 days out of the year but give her some flowers that will die and be thrown away, and you are somehow romantic.

If you want a (happy) relationship with a girl, you better be ready to succumb to every commercial holiday that ever has been and will be invented.

Quote:

Indeed. Actually, I'm worse than that. The more peer pressure there is to do something, the more likely I am to not do it.

I'm like that too. It's reverse-peer-pressure. :-/

gnolam

Why can't we ignore certain users again?

Quote:

I used to work with this man (he has kids my age) ... he came into the office on VD

Hurr hurr hurr.

CGamesPlay
Quote:

*sigh*.post.m2559 { display: none; }

By the way, Matthew, your code doesn't work:

<table id="post-649906" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" summary="post" class="m{p.member_id} post odd ">

relay01
Quote:

So is Christmas. Doesn't stop me from celebrating that (though I don't do presents with Christmas, presents go with Sinterklaas).

Only in the Santa version of Christmas, which brings up other points that would completely derail this thread.

A. Is celebrating christmas around a jolly fat man who gives people presents idol worship and thus a sin. Is it even worse that it's on a holiday which basically celebrates the Christian religion?

B. What does it say about our society which loses it's perspective on a religious holiday because of a person who gives everybody gifts?

Perhaps I just don't know the history. Feel free to correct me.

HardTranceFan
Quote:

The more peer pressure there is to do something, the more likely I am to not do it.

Some never leave their rebellious teenage years...:)

Quote:

It's stupid because you can give gifts 364 days out of the year on every day, but if you don't give one on VD, you "don't love her."

That then only enforces the notion that a lot of 'love' is a superficial sheen on an unsteady relationship? Love cannot be bought.

SonShadowCat

Such as sad state of affairs we must tolerate in in order to make our "significant" other happy.

CGamesPlay
Quote:

Such as sad state of affairs we must tolerate in in order to make our "significant" other happy.

I think your state of affairs is sadder than mine, if you feel that way.

Richard Phipps

I've asked one girl out for a date, but found out she has a partner and I've asked another one out for a drink as a friend and found that she's just got a new boyfriend.

I'm doing well! :)

Diana: What about you? Any love in your life?

Rampage
Quote:

It's stupid because you can give gifts 364 days out of the year on every day, but if you don't give one on VD, you "don't love her." On the flip side, you can be a jerk 364 days out of the year but give her some flowers that will die and be thrown away, and you are somehow romantic.

Most women work that way. It makes it easy for us men to keep them happy: you just have to be nice for one day instead of the 365 days of the year.

Quote:

If you want a (happy) relationship with a girl, you better be ready to succumb to every commercial holiday that ever has been and will be invented.

Nah, just Christmas, Valentine and birthdays.

[edit]

Quote:

I'm doing well! :)

Not exactly, Mr. Phipps... you see, the girl is supposed to go out with you.

SonShadowCat
Quote:

I think your state of affairs is sadder than mine, if you feel that way.

What's not sad about being compelled to buy some pathetic gift on certain days in order to make whichever girl you happen to be with at the time happy? It's illogical and reeks of the reasons most marriages end in divorce and why bad relationships are so prevalent.

And my state of affairs are actually quite good now :)

Richard Phipps

Quote:

Not exactly, Mr. Phipps... you see, the girl is supposed to go out with you.

I was joking Rampage! ;D

CGamesPlay
Quote:

What's not sad about being compelled to buy some pathetic gift on certain days in order to make whichever girl you happen to be with at the time happy?

I don't really care about that. I'm not buying pathetic gifts to make a girl happy. I'm demonstrating that I care on a day reserved for that purpose. Doesn't matter who the day is reserved by, what matters is making a person feel special.

Onewing

Wow, there are so many of you inspired to make a statement to not go with the crowd of buying gifts on holidays that I'm inspired to make a statement by doing the opposite and buy a gift. What kind of peer-pressure is this?! :o

CGamesPlay

This was the fastest 40 posts I've seen in a while :)

Rampage
Quote:

I was joking Rampage! ;D

I was too. :P;)

Quote:

I'm not buying pathetic gifts to make a girl happy.

Pathetic gifts can't make a girl happy. Gifts have to be great and expensive. (See ML's post.)

HoHo
Quote:

Gifts have to be great and expensive

I hope to get by with interesting gifts :)

CGamesPlay

Don't forget the importance of actions.

Rampage

The action of giving out gifts has great importance.

HoHo: define "interesting".

Matthew Leverton
Quote:

Pathetic gifts can't make a girl happy. Gifts have to be great and expensive. (See ML's post.)

I'm not saying that gifts have to be expensive. (For some girls, they do.) But they do have to come for and on that day.

You can give a girl an expensive gift the day before VD, but if she doesn't get something for VD, you're in trouble. And that's messed up.

Quote:

I don't really care about that. I'm not buying pathetic gifts to make a girl happy. I'm demonstrating that I care on a day reserved for that purpose. Doesn't matter who the day is reserved by, what matters is making a person feel special.

If both people enjoy the experience, then great. But I don't see any compelling reason why observing VD is a sign of love.

CGamesPlay
Quote:

But I don't see any compelling reason why observing VD is a sign of love.

My problem is with people opposed to observing Valentine's Day because it's "too fad".

HardTranceFan
Mr Phipps said:

Diana: What about you? Any love in your life?

I thought you were the love in her life. Or have I misread between all those suggestive posts? :P

Matthew Leverton
Quote:

My problem is with people opposed to observing Valentine's Day because it's "too fad".

VD is about mandatory gift giving. It's not about being "fad." Oh, you say, "I'm giving because I love her. I want to." Then why don't you give gifts every day of the year? Do you not love her then?

There's no denying that if VD didn't exist, you wouldn't buy flowers on that day. So you are buying because of VD, not because you love her.

Edit: And I should say that if a person observes VD despite thinking it's stupid, then good for him. He's figured out that a key in relationship is pretending to enjoy stuff so you can complain about how much you hate doing it to all your buddies.

Richard Phipps

HardTranceFan: The atlantic ocean is a quite substantial barrier between our amorous bodies..:'(

gnolam
Quote:

VD is about mandatory gift giving. It's not about being "fad." Oh, you say, "I'm giving because I love her. I want to." Then why don't you give gifts every day of the year? Do you not love her then?

There's no denying that if VD didn't exist, you wouldn't buy flowers on that day. So you are buying because of VD, not because you love her.

Edit: And I should say that if a person observes VD despite thinking it's stupid, then good for him. He's figured out that a key in relationship is pretending to enjoy stuff so you can complain about how much you hate doing it to all your buddies.

{"name":"573px-SheMayLookCleanBut.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/ebfff3a6232228ad45a54fac660a51c1.jpg","w":573,"h":767,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/ebfff3a6232228ad45a54fac660a51c1"}573px-SheMayLookCleanBut.jpg

LennyLen
Quote:

HardTranceFan: The atlantic ocean is a quite substantial barrier between our amorous bodies.

Then hopefully Neon Wars sales will get to the point where you can buy a really fast jet.

Richard Phipps

Maybe DeathWish will lend me his rocket powered skijet..

CGamesPlay
Quote:

HardTranceFan: The atlantic ocean is a quite substantial barrier between our amorous bodies..

So poetic :)

Quote:

So you are buying because of VD, not because you love her.

No, you are buying because it's Valentine's Day and you care. The day is of course a day like any other, but it's become reserved specifically for the purpose of showing your affection.

I used to feel the same way you're describing, towards Christmas, but I've changed my mind because I realize I can win on both sides: yes, demonstrate your affection every day, but celebrate Valentne's Day, and really go overboard, because that's what the day is for.

Onewing

I once gave my lady a necklace on a seemingly unimportant day. I told her, "it's our 1000th day anniversary." She was confused, but loved it. Later on, I realized that I had miscalculated and it was actually the 1012th or so day, but it's the thought that counts right?

Anyway, yes, VD is an over commercialized have-to-give gift day (or whatever day you choose to celebrate it). Now, how many here care about fashion? What about baby showers? Or chic flicks? It's a female's time!

Now, we're all smart here, right? Now, the fact that "It's a female's time" is given, use that in your calculation. If the solution you come up with is "I'm against VD" then you need to rework the problem.

Males, use female's time wisely and ye shall see the true answer!

HardTranceFan
Phippsy said:

HardTranceFan: The atlantic ocean is a quite substantial barrier between our amorous bodies..

So sweet, and yet, so poignant :'(

Matthew Leverton
Quote:

Anyway, yes, VD is an over commercialized have-to-give gift day (or whatever day you choose to celebrate it). Now, how many here care about fashion? What about baby showers? Or chic flicks?

I didn't know that Fashion Day existed where you have to buy your GF a new outfit. Or does Baby Shower Day exist when you have to buy your GF some baby clothes? Or Chic Flick day where everyone goes and watches a Chic Flick or else fear the wrath?

The other things you have mentioned are just normal parts of your GF's life that you better appreciate because its stuff that revolves around her personally. She's doing the same thing for you. It has nothing to do with a commercial holiday that somehow becomes the one thing that proves your love.

Onewing
Quote:

It has nothing to do with a commercial holiday that somehow becomes the one thing that proves your love.

Shhhh, you don't want corporations to hear. They'll capitalize on anything they can exploit...

Bruce Perry
Quote:

You can give a girl an expensive gift the day before VD, but if she doesn't get something for VD, you're in trouble. And that's messed up.

Think she'll understand if a letter I sent internationally arrives a day or two early or late? :-/

So yeah, that's the extent of my plans for Valentine's Day this year. :)

Anyway, Valentine's Day is a good day to do something to show you love - or like - someone. That doesn't mean you have to buy anything. You could write her a nice demo using Allegro :D

Last year I drew

{"name":"valentine-card-2006-obscured.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/2\/c246daff3d178d8c61497ce8d5b053b5.jpg","w":400,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/2\/c246daff3d178d8c61497ce8d5b053b5"}valentine-card-2006-obscured.jpg

for a girl who hates me. All it cost was time, and it was fun ;D

Andrei Ellman

Or write a poem if you can't draw (or even if you can draw but think you can express yourself poetically).

AE.

wearetheborg
Michael Faerber said:

You know, there is a girl I would like to get more in contact with, however, I am not sure if she could really become my friend. I know her address, and I thought about visiting her this week by surprise. Do you think that could work?

I really don't think that's a good idea. It will probably turn into an awkward situation. Maybe you can "accidentally" meet her on her way to school one day and take it from there. Showing up at her door is too personal for the moment. If you were her friend to begin with, that would be acceptable.

Quote:

The group... It's the worst thing isn't it? You'll just have to catch her when she's on her own. You'd be like an intruder if you tried to join their conversation.

Gnolam said:

Because having the ability to annoy people is much more fun.

HardTranceFan

I've just been out for lunch, and spotted quite a number of young guys searching for cards, carrying soft toys or holding balloons professing love.

How sweet yet foolish, I thought.

And then remembered (with a hint of a nostalgia), that I too was once like that.

I'm not sure if now I'm just older or more cynical. 8-)

Andrei Ellman

Ah yes. For those moments when you lack creativity, let commercialisation come to the rescue.

LennyLen
Quote:

I'm not sure if now I'm just older or more cynical.

Or more single?

Rampage
Quote:

Ah yes. For those moments when you lack creativity, let commercialisation come to the rescue.

Word. I'm so thankful for all the prefabricated good-for-nothing little details I've found when in a hurry...

23yrold3yrold

How this topic get so bloody long so .. oh, right, it's about girls.

Quote:

If she was into it I would, in the same way I would go shopping or watch a dumb chick flick. Personally, I can't be arsed to bother with Valentine's Day for the same reason I don't give a rip about Christmas; it seems to me to be awfully stupid to devote a day to behaviors and attitudes we should be displaying all year anyway. If you want to be romantic, don't do stuff on Valentine's Day, surprise her in July or something.

Steve Terry

Well I'm going to go to work tomorrow... work for 8 hours then come home... yep pretty interesting day if you ask me :P

manjula

I just roll my eyes every time I hear people labeling holidays and special days as consumerist and commercialized. You are no longer different or cool for saying it...it's such a typical view now. It's only commercialized if you let it.

LennyLen
Quote:

You are no longer different or cool for saying it

Perhaps not, but you'd be correct.

Quote:

It's only commercialized if you let it.

The problem isn't it being commercialized. Everything is commerialized in our world these days. These holidays are blatantly over-commercialized. I'll profit from it though, as guys taking dates out on Valentine's Day often like to show off by leaving large tips, so I don't really care.

Bob

I'll just spend an Anti-Valentines and go play some pool, or something.

wearetheborg

Credits go to cgamesplay and onewing because they are the only ones who understand this whole Valentine's Day thing. Matthew gets credits too because he's my Valentine.

HardTranceFan

Teacher's pets;D

MiquelFire

Me single, me no care about silly holiday tomorrow!

Francois Lamini

I'm too old for this silly valentines day crap - it's for kids. But you could say that when I'm with a girl I celebrate "Valentines Day" quite often. My gift is a big wet f**k. Hell, sometimes I'll invite other girls over to make things more interesting.

CGamesPlay
Quote:

It's only commercialized if you let it.

Gah! I wish I could have said that :) You have a way with words :)

wearetheborg
Francois said:

I'm too old for this silly valentines day crap - it's for kids. But you could say that when I'm with a girl I celebrate "Valentines Day" quite often. My gift is a big wet f**k. Hell, sometimes I'll invite other girls over to make things more interesting.

Weird... I thought you were 13 years old... :-/

Rampage
Quote:

Me single, me no care about silly holiday tomorrow!

Most honest post ever. Beats all those "it's too commercial" comments.

LennyLen
Quote:

Credits go to cgamesplay and onewing because they are the only ones who understand this whole Valentine's Day thing.

So how does not posting in this thread show understanding of Valentine's Day?

CGamesPlay
Quote:

So how does not posting in this thread show understanding of Valentine's Day?

Jee, fuck you too ::)

LennyLen

Oops, I forgot that I tested your custom JS to ignore users earlier and forgot to remove it. So it does work. :)

Good thing I noticed you were listed as the last person who posted on the reent posts page, or it would taken me longer to realize you'd stopped posting.

And here I was thinking mods had super give credits to whoever you want powers.

CGamesPlay

Hehe, I should have used gnolam's number as an example :)

Well, let's leave this behind us. Will you be my valentine?

Dustin Dettmer

To be honest I'm happy that I'm single on valentines day.

Its a very unbalanced holiday. As a guy I get nothing, yet have to spend a bunch of effort to give her something.

And don't say guys get sex. Cause thats a lame argument.

Rampage
Quote:

And don't say guys get sex. Cause thats a lame argument.

What? We can get sex? Man, have I wasted these last years' Valentines! :o

Mokkan

A girl gave me like 2 pounds of chocolate... and I really wanna get something for her, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to before V-day is over :-/. But yeah, that really made my day.

Trezker

I celebrate winter-een-mas, talk like a pirate day and towel day.
Other than that I don't really give a shit, I just join my family on certain holidays because their gathered and I need a little break from reality.

Matt Smith
Quote:

The group... It's the worst thing isn't it? You'll just have to catch her when she's on her own. You'd be like an intruder if you tried to join their conversation.

Nonsense. Barge into any group. Captivate their attention. Sell them something. Charm the knickers off the lot of them. They may run away screaming, or they may fancy something you've got. No harm done either way.

Rampage
Quote:

They may run away screaming, or they may fancy something you've got. No harm done either way.

I tried it once. One of the girls is still in rehab because of the shock. Poor, poor girl. :'(

Evert
Quote:

You are no longer different or cool for saying it...

That's fine, speaking for my self I never say anything to be either.

Quote:

they are the only ones who understand this whole Valentine's Day thing

I beg to differ.

CursedTyrant
Evert said:

wether

That's one typo you don't want to make ;D -> Link

Now, to stay on topic, I'll give my gf a rose and this: Link
It may not work on your PC, and I don't care, since it has to work on mine (and it does) :P

Keep in mind I've written it in a few hours, so the code is ugly...

Lucid Nightmare

i'm single

Richard Phipps

Happy Valentines Day Diana!

I hope you have a really lovely day. :)

Love Richard x

LennyLen
Quote:

Hehe, I should have used gnolam's number as an example

I haven't put you on ignore again. I've been at work. My god it was brutal, my feet are aching. But as I foresaw, I made more in tips than I did in wages. Which is very rare here in NZ, where tipping is not customary.

Quote:

Well, let's leave this behind us. Will you be my valentine?

If I say yes, do I get half the house if we have a bitter falling-out?

Andrei Ellman

Who needs Valentines day when you've got Love Day.

CGamesPlay
Quote:

If I say yes, do I get half the house if we have a bitter falling-out?

I was hoping we could have a promiscuous, noncommitting relationship...

LennyLen
Quote:

I was hoping we could have a promiscuous, noncommitting relationship...

Cool, but I don't pay for my own drinks. You have been warned.

CGamesPlay

What sort of fringe benefits does this relationship have?

LennyLen
Quote:

What sort of fringe benefits does this relationship have?

I can cook a curry that'll put hairs on your chest from 50 paces.

OICW
Quote:

...they are the only ones who understand this whole Valentine's Day thing.

Ok, now I'm going to be a bit harsh. Valentine's day is not a customary holiday here. It's been brought here by Americans few years ago (let's say fifteen) and it looks really ugly and it's only commercial holiday here. So I don't see point in celebrating something you (americans) have brought here to make a profit. :P

CGamesPlay

Of course it has been commercialized, but it is not originally a commercial holiday. It makes since that it has been commercialized though for all the reasons ML stated:

Quote:

It's stupid because you can give gifts 364 days out of the year on every day, but if you don't give one on VD, you "don't love her."

Many people see the holiday this way, because the tradition has become so strong. It's a perfect place to commercialize, being such a sensitive area of one's life.

But it's only commercialized if you let it. ;)

Evert
Quote:

Valentine's day is not a customary holiday here. It's been brought here by Americans few years ago (let's say fifteen) and it looks really ugly and it's only commercial holiday here.

Ditto here, actually.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Quote:

I won't celebrate Valentine's day, because someone made that a day when you should go and buy a present to a significant other

Although it's not nearly as bad as this

Quote:

...the diamond engagement ring did not become the standard it is considered today until after an extensive marketing campaign by De Beers in the middle of the 20th century, which came to include the most famous advertising slogan of the 20th century “A Diamond is Forever”.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engagement_ring

OICW

Arthur: well my point was that this cuostom was imported here, I don't care whether overseas they celebrate or not, but I have strong objections against celebrating it here. Besides this is only hypotheticaly speaking - there's a chance that I'd be acting differently if I'd have some relationship.

About that diamond ring I don't know - though I'd not have enough money to buy it, besides I prefer simple rings. It seems like Coca Cola invented Santa Claus, I wonder how Christmas were celebrated before Santa.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

I wonder how Christmas were celebrated before Santa.

Saint Nick? Sinterklaus? Whatever his name is in your area of the world..

Fladimir da Gorf

What is love? ???

Baby don't hurt me 8-)

Sorry, I had to...

Rampage

Great! Now I have a reason to NOT buy the damn thing!

HardTranceFan
Quote:

What is love? ???

Baby don't hurt me 8-)

That's tune is now running round my head and won't drop out! :)

That was a great roller skating song (as you do on a Valetines day date) :D

OICW

Fladimir: it was the first thing that ran through my head when I saw this thread ;)

Myrdos
Quote:

“A Diamond is Forever”.

Bah. Diamonds aren't even stable at this athmospheric pressure. They revert right back to coal in a few million years. Now that's what I call false advertising. (I used to take Minerology)

Anyways, I wasn't planning on doing anything for Valentine's day, but some girl at the lab I work at gave me a heart-shaped chocolate. So I said thank you. And then I ate it. Which would be the first thing I've ever done for Valentine's day in the last 20 years. ;D

wearetheborg
Quote:

Happy Valentines Day Diana!

I hope you have a really lovely day. :)

Thanks, happy valentine's day to you too Richard! My day's has been good, even though I've spent most of it at work. I love spending days like these with kids (I work in a school). :)

OICW
Quote:

I love spending days like these with kids (I work in a school). :)

Can't resist! Poor kids ;)

Billybob

Loud music is my girlfriend this year. :) :(

Bruce Perry
Diana said:

Credits go to cgamesplay and onewing because they are the only ones who understand this whole Valentine's Day thing.

I clearly indicated I understand this whole Valentine's Day thing when I said:

Anyway, Valentine's Day is a good day to do something to show you love - or like - someone. That doesn't mean you have to buy anything. You could write her a nice demo using Allegro :D

You owe Evert and me a special evening (each) :-*

amarillion
Quote:

Here's my question to you guys: Would you refuse to celebrate Valentine's Day even if you had a lovely significant other who was into the whole gift giving thing?

I bought some flowers for my gf. We're not really into Valentine's day but it's been a while since I bought her flowers so I thought what the heck...

wearetheborg

Not only is today Valentine's Day, but it is also hump day. Nice huh?

Bruce Perry: You're right, I should have given you and Evert credits too.

Bruce Perry

Yay! <3

Hmm, I vaguely remember Valentine's Day at school when I was a kid. I didn't understand it at all ;D Do the kids at your school understand it?

Onewing
Quote:

Not only is today Valentine's Day, but it is also hump day. Nice huh?

And for all those single guys out there, I believe you now have a pickup line. ;D

Kibiz0r

Well, I just got cockblocked by my drawing teacher. He assigned us about 10 hours of homework, and my ex-date and I both have his class tomorrow.

I'm thinking of composing a romantic text message detailing how Valentine's Day only comes once a year, but chances for extra credit happen several times in a semester.

If someone thinks this is a bad idea, speak up. Broad romantic gestures are uncharted territory for me.

Onewing

Why don't you ask her if you want to work together on the extra work?

manjula

{"name":"vdqf3.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/8\/d898dd6a8c1b7fcd74aaf57e226c68a2.gif","w":402,"h":302,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/8\/d898dd6a8c1b7fcd74aaf57e226c68a2"}vdqf3.gif

Andrei Ellman

{"name":"591219","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a8fe8ebc17bb4abd9a9f0365404eaba.jpg","w":438,"h":328,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a8fe8ebc17bb4abd9a9f0365404eaba"}591219

Rampage

Andrei Ellman's post made me laugh out so loud at the office that some people came to see my monitor. I don't think they understood the joke, though.

CGamesPlay

I don't understand it at all.

wearetheborg
Bruce Perry said:

Hmm, I vaguely remember Valentine's Day at school when I was a kid. I didn't understand it at all ;D Do the kids at your school understand it?

Yeah, I suppose they do... They really like the fact that they can give us (teaching staff) and their friends hugs and presents without having to explain themselves.

axilmar
Quote:

Well said.

Why participate in this mockery of relationships? bringing flowers unexpectedly is much more rewarding for a relationship.

And yesterday there as a football much on :-).

Ceagon Xylas

Oops. I slept through the entire day :P Had stayed up for 36 hours before it... So... I missed everything.

As for the original question

Quote:

Would you refuse to celebrate Valentine's Day even if you had a lovely significant other who was into the whole gift giving thing? :'(

Yep!

Francois Lamini

Ok, get over it you ladies valentines day is over!

Andrei Ellman
CGamesPlay said:

See this post

GullRaDriel

I have not did something special for Valentines day.

I did not want my love being affected by this day which has begun too much a capitalist day.

It has lost all the fun it has at the beginning.

These days, people just want to have some presents, dinner, alcohol and sex.

I prefer makes my half feel my love all day.

That was just In My Humble Opinion.

_

Rampage

I didn't do anything yesterday, because everything is ridiculously expensive: flowers, toys, restaurants, dancing clubs, any kind of gift. So my girlfriend and I waited until today to celebrate. 8-)

LennyLen
CGamesPlay said:

Don't worry dear, you will. ;)

wearetheborg

I got flowers today! 8-) I guess they're cheaper the day after, but it's still cool.

nonnus29

;D

Andrei, I think if you replaced the ';' with a '?' it might be a tiny bit funnier (given the owls expression).

HardTranceFan
Quote:

I got flowers today! 8-) I guess they're cheaper the day after, but it's still cool.

Courier post from Nottinham isn't as fast as it used to be? ;D

Rampage
Quote:

I guess they're cheaper the day after, but it's still cool.

Not just cheaper, easier to find too. Yesterday I couldn't find a single flower for sale.

LennyLen
Quote:

Not just cheaper, easier to find too. Yesterday I couldn't find a single flower for sale.

You had me very confused until I remembered it's still the 15th on your side of the world. :)

Rampage
Quote:

You had me very confused until I remembered it's still the 15th on your side of the world. :)

Yeah, I never get to create the first thread about any global celebration. :'(

Richard Phipps

dirtykirby.jpg

LennyLen

I'm starting to suspect there are a lot of things we do not know about Mr Phipps.

Johan Halmén
Quote:

I'm starting to suspect there are a lot of things we do not know about Mr Phipps.

One less, though.

OICW

Lenny: I'd better leave it as it is ;)

Richard Phipps

Actually that image was meant for Diana.. :-X :-* :P

OICW

RP: don't worry we uderstood (at least me), but still there are some dark cornes of Richard Phipps we don't know about and we'd rather don't want to know about ;D ;) 8-)

Richard Phipps

Don't worry.. you're not my time anyway. ;)

LennyLen
Quote:

Actually that image was meant for Diana.

I wonder if that's anatomically possible?

Quote:

you're not my time anyway.

You're a Time Lord? That would explain all the strange things we have yet to learn about you.

Richard Phipps

Quote:

How little you know..

time = type. My bad.

OICW

RP: phew, I just got reborn ;D

GullRaDriel
wearetheborg said:

I had jumped over that ...

I am answering this now : If the other wanna make the Valentine's Day a special one, I do not see why I will not satisfy her.

It's not because I am not a Valentine's supporter that I am allowed to break my lovely darling's ideal.

So here we are, my dear:

1) If both are OK to have / not to have a special day/night at Valentine's Day, there is no problem
2) If one want and the other do not, (or the contrary), then I think the men must satisfy his lovely girl. ( We are all gentlemans you know :-) )

manjula
RP said:

ede44b4625e624ef6c80e04aq9.jpg

LennyLen said:

How do you think males of the same sex who are in lust do it?
All a girl needs to achieve the same effect is to buy a silicone/latex extension.

GullRaDriel
Manjula said:

All a girl needs to achieve the same effect is to buy a silicone/latex extension.

What about one poland manufactured one ? :-X

I know you can have some for them at cheap cost .

Why silicone/latex ?

There are also other extensions available:
_
{"name":"1488_Saucisson_Sec.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/9\/e9e7c23c969a046ad5268b55a35e5793.jpg","w":300,"h":225,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/9\/e9e7c23c969a046ad5268b55a35e5793"}1488_Saucisson_Sec.jpg

;D

manjula

Dégoûtant;D

GullRaDriel

Lubricating ash included :P

LennyLen
Quote:

I'm aware of that. But since that isn't part of her anatomy, the question still stands. I was wondering if RP knew something about Diana that the rest of us didn't.

edit: There's always fisting I suppose. And I once saw this video where this girl lubes up her head and then, oh never mind.

Andrei Ellman
nonnus29 said:

Andrei, I think if you replaced the ';' with a '?' it might be a tiny bit funnier (given the owls expression).

Fixed
{"name":"591224","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/38ac69de9ac0ac62c0f5b054cbe19eb7.jpg","w":438,"h":328,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/38ac69de9ac0ac62c0f5b054cbe19eb7"}591224

manjula said:

Does your extension have red and purple stripes?

AE.

Kikaru

AHHHHH! MY BRAIN! IT'S EATING MY BRAIN! AHHHHHHH!

due to technical difficulties, this user will no longer be present in this thread. Have a nice day.

Richard Phipps

You are all really dirty minded.
I was thinking of french kissing of course! >:(

Rampage

This thread makes me want to puke... I haven't slept well and you all have very unclean minds.

axilmar

The thread has taken a very 'nice' turn.

So when we are talking about love, all we think is about sex? hmmmm...perhaps the ladies should not be allowed to know that :-).

Thomas Fjellstrom

They DO know that. Sheesh. its the worst kept secret since the Apple.

Crazy Photon
Quote:

you all have very unclean minds

> make clean ;)

wearetheborg

You're too late Phipps. :-/

Evert
Quote:

So when we are talking about love, all we think is about sex?

Not really, no.

Richard Phipps

Too late?
:'(

manjula
AE said:

Does your extension have red and purple stripes?

Pink and black stripes. But I would rather have a sky blue one with sparkles.

Ceagon Xylas

:o

OICW
Quote:

So when we are talking about love, all we think is about sex?

No, practically we're still discussing the same thing - love. You know there's psychical and physical love, don't you? ;)

Quote:

Quote:

You all have very unclean minds

> make clean

I almost began to think that we're not on a.cc ::) ;) ;D

Avenger
Quote:

You know there's psychical and physical love, don't you?

Just look at the words, they're practically the same thing;D

Or perhaps that's what you ment. I slap myself;)

Richard Phipps

So, Diana.. I take it you did get some flowers a day late from your apologetic significant other? :D

Francois Lamini

love = hot sex

manjula

love = dirty sex

Rampage

I can understand it from a 13 year old, but Manjula?

Onewing

Also, love = money. Therefore, money = hot, dirty sex.

SonShadowCat
Quote:

I can understand it from a 13 year old, but Manjula?

I was under the impression that's how most adults viewed sex.

Richard Phipps

Well she could mean Love is just Dirty Sex, or Love includes Dirty Sex.

Rampage

Richard: she used the '=' operator.

Quote:

I was under the impression that's how most adults viewed sex.

How old are you?

Richard Phipps

Rampage: Diana is not a programmer, so your logic is flawed.

Rampage

Richard: I was talking about Manjula. :P

... but she isn't a programmer either. :-[

wearetheborg
Richard said:

So, Diana.. I take it you did get some flowers a day late from your apologetic significant other? :D

More like from my apologetic secret valentine at work...

HardTranceFan

Love isn't just hot, dirty sex. It's hot, downright dirty, sweaty rampant raw sex that leaves your body drained and sheets all... Umm... Never mind. Wrong forum. ;D:-*

OICW

Diana: one of the kids?

Quote:

So, Diana.. I take it you did get some flowers a day late from your apologetic significant other?

No those were confiscated on the borderline. ;)

SonShadowCat
Quote:

How old are you?

20 ::)

Thomas Fjellstrom

/me listens to What is love by Haddaway ;D

OICW

Me too TF 8-)

manjula
Quote:

Love isn't just hot, dirty sex. It's hot, downright dirty, sweaty rampant raw sex that leaves your body drained and sheets all... Umm... Never mind. Wrong forum. ;D:-*

No please do continue; let me live vicariously through you.:'(

Johan Halmén
Richard said:

Rampage: Diana is not a programmer, so your logic is flawed.

Oh yes, she is! Haven't you read her profile? Wait, she was only kidding?

GullRaDriel
Quote:

Credits go to CGamesPlay, Matthew Leverton, and Onewing, for helping out!

???

Looks like a serious ass kissing.

;D

Thread #590053. Printed from Allegro.cc