Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » LOVE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Credits go to CGamesPlay, Matthew Leverton, and Onewing for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
LOVE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

sex is a vector quantity which includes a quantity of happiness... i don't care if it doesn't compute... computers do not understand love... Or so that's what they want us to think. ;)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

what do you do when you see a group of girls standing around and talking to each other, and you want to "get into the group": Do you walk near them, listen what they are talking about and then suddenly contributing something to the topic?

If you want to "get into the group"? Like you would do with any group you want to get into: stand with them and join the conversation (note: you need to check wether the group is "open" or "closed" to other people joining it; this is usually fairly obvious from the body language). Don't go walking around them obviously minding your own business or listening waiting for an opening to jump in, because both will be obvious and appear forced. If you have to, find a reason to be near and then openly pick up on their conversation. Make eye contact and get permission to "join the conversation".
If your intend is to get to talk to a specific girl from that group, don't try to enter the group as a whole. She isn't available to talk to if she's talking to the group.

Quote:

I won't celebrate Valentine's day, because someone made that a day when you should go and buy a present to a significant other.

Indeed. Actually, I'm worse than that. The more peer pressure there is to do something, the more likely I am to not do it. However, I suspect that if I did have a relationship I would do something. Just something slightly more original than a teddy bear with a heart and a bouqet of roses that has "Valentine's Day" written on it in big capital letters.

Quote:

I personally think that valentines day is a lousy commercial scam of a holiday.

So is Christmas. Doesn't stop me from celebrating that (though I don't do presents with Christmas, presents go with Sinterklaas).

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

I might specifically do something the day or week before and announce I'm skipping Valentine's Day.

It does not work that way! Even with such prior agreement, you will get in big trouble.

I used to work with this man (he has kids my age) ... he came into the office on VD all happy that he and his wife had agreed to just go out to eat with some friends at a nice restaurant and that buying $50 worth of flowers that were just going to die was a waste of money. But of course, he gets a call at work in the morning from his wife who is all upset that "all the other women in the office" are getting flowers. :P

Him> "Are they all getting to go out to the best restaurant in town?"
Her> "No, but I don't care. I want flowers. :'("

It's stupid because you can give gifts 364 days out of the year on every day, but if you don't give one on VD, you "don't love her." On the flip side, you can be a jerk 364 days out of the year but give her some flowers that will die and be thrown away, and you are somehow romantic.

If you want a (happy) relationship with a girl, you better be ready to succumb to every commercial holiday that ever has been and will be invented.

Quote:

Indeed. Actually, I'm worse than that. The more peer pressure there is to do something, the more likely I am to not do it.

I'm like that too. It's reverse-peer-pressure. :-/

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Why can't we ignore certain users again?

Quote:

I used to work with this man (he has kids my age) ... he came into the office on VD

Hurr hurr hurr.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

Why can't we ignore certain users again?

*sigh*.post.m2559 { display: none; }

By the way, Matthew, your code doesn't work:

<table id="post-649906" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" summary="post" class="m{p.member_id} post odd ">

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

Quote:

So is Christmas. Doesn't stop me from celebrating that (though I don't do presents with Christmas, presents go with Sinterklaas).

Only in the Santa version of Christmas, which brings up other points that would completely derail this thread.

A. Is celebrating christmas around a jolly fat man who gives people presents idol worship and thus a sin. Is it even worse that it's on a holiday which basically celebrates the Christian religion?

B. What does it say about our society which loses it's perspective on a religious holiday because of a person who gives everybody gifts?

Perhaps I just don't know the history. Feel free to correct me.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

The more peer pressure there is to do something, the more likely I am to not do it.

Some never leave their rebellious teenage years...:)

Quote:

It's stupid because you can give gifts 364 days out of the year on every day, but if you don't give one on VD, you "don't love her."

That then only enforces the notion that a lot of 'love' is a superficial sheen on an unsteady relationship? Love cannot be bought.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Such as sad state of affairs we must tolerate in in order to make our "significant" other happy.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

Such as sad state of affairs we must tolerate in in order to make our "significant" other happy.

I think your state of affairs is sadder than mine, if you feel that way.

--

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I've asked one girl out for a date, but found out she has a partner and I've asked another one out for a drink as a friend and found that she's just got a new boyfriend.

I'm doing well! :)

Diana: What about you? Any love in your life?

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Quote:

It's stupid because you can give gifts 364 days out of the year on every day, but if you don't give one on VD, you "don't love her." On the flip side, you can be a jerk 364 days out of the year but give her some flowers that will die and be thrown away, and you are somehow romantic.

Most women work that way. It makes it easy for us men to keep them happy: you just have to be nice for one day instead of the 365 days of the year.

Quote:

If you want a (happy) relationship with a girl, you better be ready to succumb to every commercial holiday that ever has been and will be invented.

Nah, just Christmas, Valentine and birthdays.

[edit]

Quote:

I'm doing well! :)

Not exactly, Mr. Phipps... you see, the girl is supposed to go out with you.

-R

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Quote:

I think your state of affairs is sadder than mine, if you feel that way.

What's not sad about being compelled to buy some pathetic gift on certain days in order to make whichever girl you happen to be with at the time happy? It's illogical and reeks of the reasons most marriages end in divorce and why bad relationships are so prevalent.

And my state of affairs are actually quite good now :)

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

Not exactly, Mr. Phipps... you see, the girl is supposed to go out with you.

I was joking Rampage! ;D

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

What's not sad about being compelled to buy some pathetic gift on certain days in order to make whichever girl you happen to be with at the time happy?

I don't really care about that. I'm not buying pathetic gifts to make a girl happy. I'm demonstrating that I care on a day reserved for that purpose. Doesn't matter who the day is reserved by, what matters is making a person feel special.

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Wow, there are so many of you inspired to make a statement to not go with the crowd of buying gifts on holidays that I'm inspired to make a statement by doing the opposite and buy a gift. What kind of peer-pressure is this?! :o

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

This was the fastest 40 posts I've seen in a while :)

--

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Quote:

I was joking Rampage! ;D

I was too. :P;)

Quote:

I'm not buying pathetic gifts to make a girl happy.

Pathetic gifts can't make a girl happy. Gifts have to be great and expensive. (See ML's post.)

-R

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

Gifts have to be great and expensive

I hope to get by with interesting gifts :)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Don't forget the importance of actions.

--

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

The action of giving out gifts has great importance.

HoHo: define "interesting".

-R

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

Pathetic gifts can't make a girl happy. Gifts have to be great and expensive. (See ML's post.)

I'm not saying that gifts have to be expensive. (For some girls, they do.) But they do have to come for and on that day.

You can give a girl an expensive gift the day before VD, but if she doesn't get something for VD, you're in trouble. And that's messed up.

Quote:

I don't really care about that. I'm not buying pathetic gifts to make a girl happy. I'm demonstrating that I care on a day reserved for that purpose. Doesn't matter who the day is reserved by, what matters is making a person feel special.

If both people enjoy the experience, then great. But I don't see any compelling reason why observing VD is a sign of love.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

But I don't see any compelling reason why observing VD is a sign of love.

My problem is with people opposed to observing Valentine's Day because it's "too fad".

--

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Mr Phipps said:

Diana: What about you? Any love in your life?

I thought you were the love in her life. Or have I misread between all those suggestive posts? :P

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

My problem is with people opposed to observing Valentine's Day because it's "too fad".

VD is about mandatory gift giving. It's not about being "fad." Oh, you say, "I'm giving because I love her. I want to." Then why don't you give gifts every day of the year? Do you not love her then?

There's no denying that if VD didn't exist, you wouldn't buy flowers on that day. So you are buying because of VD, not because you love her.

Edit: And I should say that if a person observes VD despite thinking it's stupid, then good for him. He's figured out that a key in relationship is pretending to enjoy stuff so you can complain about how much you hate doing it to all your buddies.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

HardTranceFan: The atlantic ocean is a quite substantial barrier between our amorous bodies..:'(

Go to: