Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » FORCE MAJEURE - new shoot'em up

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
FORCE MAJEURE - new shoot'em up
fsDoom
Member #7,690
August 2006

A game (or a demo of a game actually, since it just contains one (very polished though) stage!) made originally for the shmup-dev.com AUTOFIRE 2007 competition.

Check it out! It has marvellous pixel art, wonderful music, and the gameplay isn't so bad either ;)

http://www.daikenkai.com/monokey/

Check the first post. The reason why I'm not have a direct URL to the game is that I will probably upload a small update any time soon.

Feedback please :)

Oh and here're some screens:

{"name":"2dii00o.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/e\/eedf397ee91a5b100a034515eb942b80.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/e\/eedf397ee91a5b100a034515eb942b80"}2dii00o.png

{"name":"2mnod4m.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/af2cc3333856f7eab66a0c02053d1fda.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/af2cc3333856f7eab66a0c02053d1fda"}2mnod4m.png

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Very nice. Now go finish it. 8-)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I second ML. I especially like the graphics. But what I really hate is that one hit = one death. It's really pain in the butt when you consider that the aircraft is not moving fast enough, so I kept dying all the way.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Immediate concerns:

• As mentioned, the ship is too slow. It's especially evident on the boss, where dodging the barrages of bullets sometimes becomes impossible because you simply can't move fast enough.

• I'd like to know more information about the differences of the two ships on the ship select screen. Some stats would be very helpful.

• Why is the [X] button disabled?! Misfeature! Fix!

• Is there some particular reason why there's a separate button for the secondary weapon, as opposed to it just firing when you hold down the normal fire button?

Also, I'd like to know who made the graphics/music.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

fsDoom
Member #7,690
August 2006

Use the red plane, and release the fire key, and you notice how you will be fast enough to dodge any bullet you want :)

What do you mean with [x]? The window close-button?

Yeah, the subweapon system, we are not to happy on how it works right now. It will be a total rework for it (and it will work more like a 'bomb') with a meter and stuff ... In the full version.

Who made the graphics and music? Didn't you check the readme file ;) ?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Use the red plane, and release the fire key, and you notice how you will be fast enough to dodge any bullet you want

It would have been nice if that was, you know, actually written somewhere in the game. Yes, in the game. Not the readme file. This is an arcade-style game, so treat it as if people just step up to the cabinet and play.

Quote:

The window close-button?

Yes.

Quote:

Didn't you check the readme file?

I never read readme files! :P I would like to know if these people have individual websites. I'd like to have a look.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

fsDoom
Member #7,690
August 2006

You're right. The full version will feature a "how to play" before you actually start, but we were under a tight deadline :) (february 1st 2007) so we really had no time to implement it.

Sites huh, sure:

Surasshu (music): http://www.surasshu-sound.com/
Junkboy (gfx): http://three.fsphost.com/junkboy/

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Fair enough. You've nailed the arcade feeling, by the way, and thanks for the sites.

But fix the close button thing. It's really annoying.

--

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

This is made of win and god. Pretty awesome overall. Is it just me or are those Darius vibes coming my way?

fsDoom
Member #7,690
August 2006

X-G: Done :)

Inphernic: Thank you very much :)

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Cool! I was wondering when it would be done.

Oh, by the way, thanks for the SFX to whoever I talked to! :)

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Nice polished game.

In the keyboard configuration, changing "start" kept changing fire 2.
The music is sort of annoying.
The bomb you can drop is sort of worthless.
I kept dying, can you dodge the bullets? It sort of seemed like I could when I tilted up/down but that didn't work all the time.

I do like how you lose all your powerups when you die but can quickly get them back.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Is it possible to get some kind of visual indicator as to how big your hitzone is ingame? I kept thinking I was safe but misdodging because it was larger than I thought. Also, does this game give you graze bonuses? (i.e. letting bullets move within the sprite but outside the hit zone)

--

fsDoom
Member #7,690
August 2006

The keyboard bug is fixed (in 1.3) which will be uploaded later. It's not really that crucial right now since the only time you'll need the start button is to JOIN a game. (dunno if player 1 ever needs it..)

The side-arm system will be completely redone (featuring different levels, and a charging meter) for later versions, since it's now pretty worthless (at least the blue ship's side arm).

The hitbox is... pretty small, but it's different for ships. If you check the monitor while you're changing character you will see an arrow that points to the hitbox, however this didn't turn out as exactly as I wanted it to. But anyway, the hitbox (for bullets, mind you) is located at the COCKPIT (i.e at the forward part of the blue ship, and a bit more backwards on the red one) and is something like 4x3 pixels (maybe a bit too big after all ...). This will also be taken care of in the full version (or another demo version), for example it could be pulsating (is that a word? my english is poor :) ) in some color when you hold FIRE.

Also the hitbox for colliding with other aircrafts/tanks/powerups/etc is a lot bigger.

There's no bullet-scratching/teching/other word in this game, but you DO get a bonus for "dissolving" fresh bullets shot by enemies. (all bullets shot by an enemy that've lived for less than 75 frames). Read more on the scoring information in the readme file.

Kikaru: It was me :). n/p. Glad that they could be of any use.

Kazzmr:
oh.. and music being annoying?? Come on! It's freaking great :). But if you don't like it, simply turn it off in the settings menu. By the way, love your avatar :)

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

At first I thought you were using ripped sprites from Metal Slug, then I look at your game more closely and I realize you were using original art pixel, WOW!, truly amazing art work!, we don't see original pixel art like this every day.
The music is also good specially the file ss9999, really amazing!
It would be nice if you add a cpu usage option, is summer here and my P4 is reaching 73C when playing your game!
Looks like you are using 320x240 in 640x480 screen mode, are you using some stretch bliting function? I bet this game would look great with 2xsay.
BTW I still remember your great Bollen game!

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

fsDoom
Member #7,690
August 2006

Yeah it's 640x480 with stretchblt ...
How do I implement 2xsai ?

Also I have no idea on how to do a CPU usage setting! Got any reading material on the matter :) ?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Don't! Or if you do, please make it optional and not the default. It's so horribly ugly.

--

fsDoom
Member #7,690
August 2006

X-G: Hehe.. no worries. I like many settings ;)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

fsDoom
Member #7,690
August 2006

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Ah, my tongue...dang it, look what you did to my tongue. You have wetted it with this awesome goodness! Extremely polished, a must play. And yes, thank you for supporting game pad controls, thank you.

Now, you'll just have to keep an eye on that file size...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

fsDoom
Member #7,690
August 2006

Hehe no problem :). I personally can not play a shoot'em up with the keyboard so gamepad support is a must in my games ... Thank you for your kind words :).

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Awesome! I finally beat the demo. My only complaint is that there are a few too many shots on the screen at a time occasionally. Very professional! :)

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Quote:

Hehe.. no worries. I like many settings ;)

Well then, what about a super eagle filter, scanlines , bicubic interpolation and so on.

Quote:

Also I have no idea on how to do a CPU usage setting! Got any reading material on the matter :) ?

Use the search engine in these forums, you will find more information that what is generally needed.

Quote:

Don't! Or if you do, please make it optional and not the default. It's so horribly ugly.

It doesn't look as nice as a bicubic interpolation but it doesn't look so bad either, and it is easy to implement(Bob already did all the work).

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

fsDoom
Member #7,690
August 2006

Omfg! It was REALLY fast to implement.. and dropped from 50% CPU USAGE (100% i guess, but I'm having 2 CPUs) to ~6% ... That's nice :)

Thank's a lot for pointing this out ...

1   2   3   4 

Go to: