Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Chickens

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Chickens
Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

At last, I have released a new pre-release version of Chickens. Come and get it!

Chickens is a game that gives players a chance to solve problems in a new way. It presents bizarre problems that require bizarre solutions. The chickens must negotiate their way through a complicated spaghetti junction of pipes in order to reach the end of the game. Not only do they have to deal with the threat of the evil ducks, but the layout of the pipes also poses a puzzle. The game is divided up into levels, which are subsets of the pipe system. Each level consists of a series of pipes with obstacles, a certain number of chickens at the start, a target (number of chickens that have to reach the exit), and a time limit. The player must solve a problem by sending the target number of chickens to the end of the level within the time limit in order to be allowed access to the next level.

The game comes with a construction-set (level-editor) so you can create your own levels.

A chicken will die if it encounters a duck and attempts to fight it (and so will the duck it's fighting), or come across a bomb or a dead end. However, they can reproduce by laying eggs, and sending the eggs to the incubators to hatch. To make things difficult, the chickens' eggs come in four different colours (green, red, blue and yellow), and must be guided through the same system of pipes to the correct incubator for that colour in order to hatch. The Ducks can lay eggs too, and while there are ducks' eggs in the incubators, any chickens' egg trying to enter will be destroyed.

The junctions consist of ordinary pipes, interchanges, command blocks, and other obstacles. The main control the player has over the game is the ability to switch the paths of some of the pipe interchanges by moving the cursor over the interchange and pressing a button. The player can also release eggs that are being delayed.

Some of the interchanges have a red pipe running underneath them. If an object passes through this red pipe, the state of the junction changes to it's changed state and does not change back until the red pipe is empty again. This makes it possible to construct things like logic-gates out of pipes 'powered' by a stream of ducks' eggs. These can be combined to create computational logic circuits. An example of this is in the secod screenshot where in the top half of the screen, there are three flip-flops. The flip-flops are currently in an unstable state. This can be seen by the regular pulses of ducks' eggs in the pipes leading from the flip-flop-output to the bottom-right (in the game, you can see the flip-flops constantly changing state). To win the level shown in the second screenshot, the player must send a stream of chickens' eggs to the correct input for each flip-flop to stablise it and set it to the right state for it to send a continuous stream of ducks' eggs (or no eggs) to the three AND gates at the bottom-right (actually, the right-most one is really an A&!B gate). Once this has been done, the chickens will be released from the loop and pass through the 'AND gates' and if they are in the correct state, they will reach the exit. In the first screenshot, you can see that some of the chickens have put on a superhero costume (consisting of a leather jacket and sunglasses) and become Superchickens.

Below are two screenshots of the game and one screenshot of the construction-set (level editor).

{"name":"3103_large.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef4c803ef2e3c7dcfc07363886569f60.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef4c803ef2e3c7dcfc07363886569f60"}3103_large.png
{"name":"3104_large.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9cb915d23a0846427db7906e5f2c74e6.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9cb915d23a0846427db7906e5f2c74e6"}3104_large.png
{"name":"3105_large.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33bd4dd16e85dcf2b7bd08f35305e6d1.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33bd4dd16e85dcf2b7bd08f35305e6d1"}3105_large.png

Anyway, here is a list of the notable changes since the last major public release.

Quote:

+ Vastly improved level-editor

- There is now a new way of rapidly laying ordinary pipes with the numeric keypad. Lay a single pipe-section in the usual fasion, and press the numbers on the numeric keypad to lay the next pipe in the direction dictated by the numeric keypad (relative to the '5' in the middle of the keypad). Either pipe must already have an exit leading to this direction, or the last pipe to be layed must be an ordinary pipe (which can be bent). Note that selecting a different area without drawing anything (or erasing something) cancels this mode. Note that on Laptops, "Num Lock" should be enabled for this to work. If using it on a level larger than a screen, it scrolls the screen if the newly layed pipe goes off the edge.

- It is now possible to flip and rotate the selected tile. Use the buttons in the level-editor. An alternative way to rotate is to use the mouse-wheel (or PGUP/PGDN). Flipping can also be performed with '\' and '/'
- Now possible to select a group of squares for cut/copy operations. Use Mouse-button #2 to drag an area to select. The square displayed in the layer-select area and Corners and Obstacles button is the top-left of the selection.
- Cut and paste operations now implemented. The "Block of squares" button now brings up a menu of options relating to cut 'n paste. A selection can be copied (CTRL-C) or cut (CTRL-X) Blocks of squares can overwrite the existing pipes when pasted (CTRL-V), or can be pasted 'transparently' (CTRL-U). It is also possible to delete an area of squares (DEL). In fact, it is even possible to flip and rotate an entire block of squares.

- New button: Corners and Obstacles button (to the left of the layer-buttons) - use this button to modify the status of the square-corners and the square's obstacle for the currently selected square. If an obstacle is selected, pressing this button will place the obstacle in the selected square. If the eraser is selected, pressing this button will erase the obstacle in the selected square. The corners of the tiles are also shown. If a corner is shaded light or dark, that means it's visibility can be toggled. Press the button with the mouse over the corner who'se visibility you wish to toggle, and the corner's visibility (whether or not the pipe crossing this pipe at the corner is displayed on top of or undeneath of) will be toggled.

- In the layer-select area, it is now possible to swap the order of tiles on a square by dragging and dropping a tile to a different layer.
- In the level-select dialog, the order of the levels can be changed. Use drag-and-drop to drag a level to a new position to swap it with the level at that position.
- There is a new option in the IO menu to split a level-group and save the split level to a new file. Use this in combination with the merge level-group option to shuffle levels spanning multiple groups (eg. move a level from one group to another group).
- The level-select dialog now shows thumbnails of the levels instead of boxes with numbers. A green border indicates the level is complete, and a red border indicates the level is incomplete.

- Level editor: Now, it is possible to specify the duck starting direction in the level-editor. Just place a duck-obstacle (there are now 8) that faces the direction you want your duck to start moving. It is even possible to flip duck-obstacles with the middle mouse-button like it is with tile-obstacles. Also don't forget that it can be rotated with the mousewheel.
- Added ability to enlarge the level by adding borders to the level.
- Added ability to shrink the level by cropping it (see the "Crop" button in the IO menu).
- The level editor now makes backups of it's files

- Added five new per-level paramaters to the level (these can be edited in the level-editor's "level and group information" dialog). Previously, these were constant for all levels. The INI settings that used to control these values have been taken away.
-- level speed. How fast (in ticks per second) a level runs.
-- Maximum number of eggs an incubator can contain. This is the number of eggs an incubator can store before it cannot take in any more. Eggs trying to enter a full incubator will be destroyed.
-- time it takes to hatch an egg in an incubator
-- time it takes to lay an egg
-- time it takes for a superfowl to lay an egg

- Increased certain limitations for some level-settings, including the maximum length of some of the strings.

- IO errors are more descriptive.

- More verbose tooltips.

+ Completely new graphics (thanks to Dennis Busch)

- Animated sprites
- Animated tiles

+ Improved Gameplay, etc.

- Implemented level-speed setting. Level's speed is now the minimum speed at which the level is played at.
- The speed at which the level is played at can be varied in mid-game by using the mouse-wheel or the UP-ARROW and DOWN-ARROW keys. The speed can vary anywhere from the minimum level-speed to 180 ticks per second. Can also be reset to the minimum speed by pressing the middle mouse-button or the 'Z' key. Holding down SHIFT quadruples the rate of speed-change.
- In the game, squares that do something when pressing mouse button #1 are now hilited.
- Square-animations now supported. This is most evident in the incubators (which show how complete a hatched egg is, the number of eggs waiting to hatch, the incubator fullness, and if an egg of the wrong type tried to enter.), but junctions that have just changed state also flash.
- Splitters now display an arrow to show the path that the next item-to-enter will take. It is possible in the level-editor to state the initial state of the arror (or it can be randomised by not having an arrow when in the level editor)
- Added two new types of splitters - clockwise and anticlockwise splitters. Instead of chosing a random direction, these chose a direction that is either cockwise or anticlockwise to the previous direction. Access these from the level-editor by chosing the tile-type of the splitter.
- Added 4 extra separator tiles - these have diagonal entrances and orthogonal exits.
- Overhauled the in-game status-diaplay. Instead of using text and regular numbers, icons and small numbers are used.
- New levels (mostly beginner's levels).

+ Uses an INI file for certain settings.
See the INI file for details on the settings. Note that most of them are meant for tweaking the graphics, but there are some useful settings out there. An example is the 'iswindowed' setting. Set to 1 to run Chickens in Windowed mode (beware - scrolling is dodgy in windowed mode).

+ Many optimisations

Notable bugfixes:

+ When deciding which sprite to destroy in an incubator when an egg of the wrong type enters, instead of the first egg in the queue (the first to have entered, or hatching egg if no eggs queueing), the last egg in the queue is destroyed. This should mean that when the direction of the hatching chicken needs to be taken into account, all eggs that have not been destroyed will have travel-directions on exit which are in the same order as the travel-directions in which they entered the incubator.
+ Fixed a bug where a NOCI would sometimes switch state during the same update (this meant that the change would not be reflected on screen without the animation - this manifested itself by showing the occasional egg 'leak' out of an apparently unchanging interchange).
+ Fixed a bug where the number of chickens left to reach the target could become negative (if two chickens exited level at same time when this happened, this could leave the level being un-exitable).
+ Fixed a bug in the level editor where corners sometimes appearing when erasing a dead end square next to another dead end square.
+ Exiting the game now less likely to leave the screen-resolution in a dodgy state.
+ (WINDOWS) Only one instance can now run at once.

I would like to thank Dennis Busch for providing me with the graphics and animations, and Amarillion for providing me with some levels.

Enjoy,

AE.

[EDIT:]I have only uploaded the Windows version. The DOS version is still the old version. If anyone wants the DOS version, please give me a shout, and I'll try and find the time to compile one.

[EDIT2:]I've released an updated version. This time, I've produced both Windows and DOS builds. A Linux Binary build is in the pipeline, and possibly even a Mac build too.

[EDIT3:]An experimental MacOS X version is now available. This has not been widely tested, and there's still a few issues to iron out.

[EDIT4:]A Linux 32-bit x86 binary-build is now available.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Looks cool, but rather confusing. I might try it out later. :)

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

I forgot to mention that one of the things I did since the previous version was to make the game easier to play. Not only have I introduced some easier levels, but I've slowed down the pace of the game (it is possible to vary the speed of the game mid game and even make it run faster than I did before). The screenshots provided show some of the more complicated levels (although some are even more complex).

AE.

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Quote:

I would like to thank Dennis Busch for providing me with the graphics and animations

You're welcome, though I must admit I've grown pretty lazy lately when it comes to freelance work. "Real life" is just so time consuming. I'll check out the new release this weekend. Rock on!

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

The game looks really cool! Could you maybe mail me the source code or publish it here (so I can try it on Linux)?

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

ralph hulett
Member #4,690
June 2004

This is one of the hardest, and one of the best games
i have ever played. The puzzles are amazing.
Thanks for the game.

Ralph

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

The kids are enjoying this game. Really good! I would expect foxes instead of ducks, but that's a matter of taste of course.

Which libraries did you use besides allegro? Would be interesting to look at your source code, if you're willing to share it.

I had the idea to do something similar, but easier, with a labyrinth to find a way through, and a few doors and switched. Target audience would be kids, maybe around 6 years old. Some of that could be done with chickens, of course.

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Nitpicks! Take the following with salt as desired:
1. The interface is kinda overloaded -- tends to throw too much information at the player all at once. I'd try to clean it up: Increase the font size, use less words, break menus down into sub menus (for example, a "play" button leads to a menu of difficulty modes).
2. The title screen is quite a bit less pretty than the rest of the game -- it gives a bad first impression. I'd prefer something more plain.
3. The quit button isn't well-labeled. It should have the word "Quit" or "Exit" on it.
4. In the game itself, there should be a way to click something to change the game speed. Mapping the adjustments to the mouse wheel and keyboard is fine, but when someone starts up the game and just clicks in to play, they're going to be frustrated that it's going so slowly, and there's a good chance they won't figure out how to adjust the speed right away. (I see it's in the FAQ but you shouldn't expect a player to read the FAQ or the readme before playing the game!)
5. Passwords for levels seems a bit silly -- it'd be pretty easy to just save progress to a file, and skip passwords. As a simple aid, even if you want to keep passwords, the game could make a little passwords.txt file that logs the passwords a player has collected so far ... to save them the trouble of minimizing the game between levels, or finding a pen.
6. There should be a way to easily review the instructions for a level while the level is in play.
7. When 'escape' is pressed during game play, the "are you sure" text makes it seem like the whole program will exit if I click ok. Instead of saying it'll exit the game, try saying it'll exit the 'stage' or 'level' or etc.

Anyway, interface nitpicks aside, it's a fun game! I like what you've done with the chicken theme. :D

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

If anyone wants the DOS version, please give me a shout, and I'll try and find the time to compile one.

Whatever makes you think anyone would want a DOS version? I can however imagine people wanting to have a Linux version...

--
sig used to be here

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Michael Faerber said:

Could you maybe mail me the source code or publish it here (so I can try it on Linux)?

At the moment, I am a bit undecided about making the sourcecode public, but I will send it to anyone who wants to compile a Linux binary. I am visiting England for a few days but when I get back to NL, I'll send off the source. I only have limited experience of Linux and do not know how to make binaries that run on Linux-boxes other than the one it was compiled on.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to make me a Mac binary, I'd be willing to send them the source.

Quote:

This is one of the hardest

Did you start with the 'Easy' group? I remember the feedback I got from the previous version was that it was too hard and too fast, so I created a bunch of beginners' levels and added the ability to vary the speed. Hopefully, the learning curve isn't too steep, but if anyone has any ideas for beginners levels, let them be known, or even better, use the level-editor to realise them.

tobing said:

I would expect foxes instead of ducks

I chose ducks because a fox would always win a fight with a chicken, but chickens and ducks are evenly matched.

tobing said:

Which libraries did you use besides allegro?

Just PMASK and AEGUI (which is my own GUI library).

Zaphos said:

1. The interface is kinda overloaded -- tends to throw too much information at the player all at once. I'd try to clean it up: Increase the font size, use less words, break menus down into sub menus (for example, a "play" button leads to a menu of difficulty modes).

I take it you mean just the front-end, or are you talking about the interface for the other parts of the game? The front-end is due for a redesign anyway.

Zaphos said:

2. The title screen is quite a bit less pretty than the rest of the game -- it gives a bad first impression. I'd prefer something more plain.

See answer to point 1. The titlescreen is just using placeholder-graphics.

Zaphos said:

4. In the game itself, there should be a way to click something to change the game speed. Mapping the adjustments to the mouse wheel and keyboard is fine, but when someone starts up the game and just clicks in to play, they're going to be frustrated that it's going so slowly, and there's a good chance they won't figure out how to adjust the speed right away. (I see it's in the FAQ but you shouldn't expect a player to read the FAQ or the readme before playing the game!)

I also mention the mousewheel in the text at the start of the level for the first level of the Easy group (and remind them in the text of a later level). I could implement speed-change buttons. One advantage adding a GUI would give is that I can create tooltips for all the statusbar-icons.

Zaphos said:

5. Passwords for levels seems a bit silly -- it'd be pretty easy to just save progress to a file, and skip passwords. As a simple aid, even if you want to keep passwords, the game could make a little passwords.txt file that logs the passwords a player has collected so far ... to save them the trouble of minimizing the game between levels, or finding a pen.

I think that a well-chosen password complements the title and theme of the level - it's part of what makes up the level aesthetically (and can even be used as a hint). I could implement a password file for each group that remembers the saved passwords and gives the player a menu of the unlocked levels, but I like passwords, so they're here to stay.

Zaphos said:

6. There should be a way to easily review the instructions for a level while the level is in play.

If I add a GUI to the game, I could add a button (with a keyboard shortcut) for reviewing the level-text.

Anyway, as you have noticed, there is a serious shortage of levels. If anyone has made any interesting levels with the level editor, please send them to me or post them here.

AE.

--

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Quote:

I take it you mean just the front-end, or are you talking about the interface for the other parts of the game? The front-end is due for a redesign anyway.

Just the front end. So, yeah, that redesign would hopefully address most of the issues I raised.

Quote:

I could implement a password file for each group that remembers the saved passwords and gives the player a menu of the unlocked levels

Something like that, to make it more convenient, would be appreciated.

Quote:

I also mention the mousewheel in the text at the start of the level for the first level of the Easy group

In general I'll jump right to playing a game, first, then go back and read the instructions if I need to ... so it's easy to miss something like that. Having the interface right there as an element of the GUI would make it much harder to miss.

wiseguy
Member #44
April 2000

This is a pretty good game, I even think I tried this game a long time ago..who knows..

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Hi, I'd like to try it but when I download the windows file I just get an 11KB file that PowerArchiver doesn't like. Any suggestions ?

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Don't use Power Archive? ???

Nils Fagerburg
Member #7,193
May 2006

Argh, curse you and your addictive game. I haven't written a single line of code for my game since I started playing Chickens. Great job!
I'll upload my level pack after I add another level or so and polish the current ones a bit.

--
There's no place like ~.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Here is a hint. As I have not yet implemented the ability to lock a group (password protect an entire group), if you have come accross a level that you cannot complete, go to the level-editor, load the group in, select the next level in the sequence, and play that.

Also, remember that in the front-end and level-editor, if you hover the mouse on top of a button long enough, a tooltip will appear explaining what it does and which mouse-buttons do something.

I use my own GUI (AEGUI) for most GUI-related things, but for dialogs requiring more complicated widgets which I have yet to implement, I still use the Allegro GUI.

AE.

--

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I spent a few hours playing chickens, I took the easy level and got through 15 and got stuck on level 16. Tried the next level up and didn't get very far :P Guess I'm not that good. It's a nice puzzle game, maybe you can see about polishing the graphics and interface and actually selling the concept.

Nils Fagerburg
Member #7,193
May 2006

Here's my level pack. 7 levels, I think they shouldn't be too hard to solve, but of course I'd have no idea since I made them. The difficulty level should be increasing, let me know if you think I got the order wrong. The titles and level text are lousy, please post your suggestions for improvement.

Feedback is most welcome.
Link: http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/590436

A few comments regarding the level editor and game:
- A 'paint' button would be nice to colorize existing track without having to select each piece individually.
- A flip interchange direction button might be nice for people who don't RTFM.
- Tooltips that include keyboard shortcuts for the aforementioned would also be nice.
- Some track pieces affected by egg colour would be nice.

--
There's no place like ~.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Hi,

I've returned from England and recovered from the flu, so I can get to work on tweaking the game. Before I hand out the sourcecode to anyone who wants to build a linux binary that can run on multiple linux-boxes, I'll try and implement some of the quick-to-implement suggestions that have been made, and integrate Nils's level-pack in the game (if it's OK with him).

I will then try and add a separate level-group choser in a separate screen in order to un-clutter the main screen, a gui to the in-game statusdisplay, and a means of automatically saving the passwords. These will not be in the forthcoming release. I just want to fix a few minor things in this one so I can hand the source to people who want to compile for other platforms.

Most notably absent from this release is audio of any form. I currently have someone composing some music for me, but I would appreciate it if someone could create some suitable sound-effects for me.

An idea that I have for the music is that when the time limit starts to run out (ie, gets to the last 10 seconds), the pitch of the notes of the music will be modified so they gradually become more and more out of tune. So if you hear the music becoming out of tune, that's your cue to the urgency to complete the level ASAP! Also, I plan to change the speed of the playing music as the player changes the level-speed. Both of these things are easy to achieve if I use MIDI for my music.

From the point of view of the graphics, I need something for the background of the levels. Currently, the background is always dark magenta. There are 3 possible things I could do with the bacground.
1. Each level will have a different coloured background. The colour can be selected by the level-authour in the level-editor. Unfortunately, this looks too simple, but the level-authour has a great choice of colours.
2. A simple repeating pattern. Again, the colour(s) can be chosen by the level-authour (the HSV/HLS of the background-pattern can be adjusted), and there will be a choice of patterns to use.
3. A backdrop. This could be in the form of various pictures of farms - English countryside farm, American desert-ranch farm, Underwater farm, Space farm (a farm on another planet). On levels with scrolling, the backgrounds will scroll in paralax (the hills in the distance will scroll slower than the hills in the foregeound). The only thing I'm worried about is that the backgrounds will distract from the action going on in the foreground. The solution would be to draw the backgrounds in low contrast, but they won't look so good that way. However, Dennis has drawn the pipes in such a way that they stand out pretty well, but if I ever do a true-colour version of the game complete with translucent pipes (which will be made of glass), the background may be more distracting. One way to make the background less distracting would be to draw it using a low contrast, but low-contrast backgrounds tend to be dull.

My preferred choice is suggestion #3. However, this will require someone to draw the backdrop. Dennis only promised to do the sprites and the pipes, and now doesn't even have time to do the remainder of those. So I would need someone to volonteer to draw some backdrops for me.

And of course, the graphics of the front end require a complete overhaul...

Steve Terry said:

I took the easy level and got through 15 and got stuck on level 16

Now that I think of it, level 16 is too hard for the 'Easy' group. I'll look into making it easier or placing it in a harder group.

Nils Fagerburg said:

Here's my level pack. 7 levels, I think they shouldn't be too hard to solve, but of course I'd have no idea since I made them. The difficulty level should be increasing, let me know if you think I got the order wrong.

Thanks. I appreciate these levels 8-) . Would you let me integrate them into the next release of the game?

Anyone else is also welcome to contribute levels.

Nils Fagerburg said:

- A 'paint' button would be nice to colorize existing track without having to select each piece individually.

Something like that is already in the pipeline. One of the ideas on my TODO list is to have a function that 'fills' a set of connected ordinary-pipes (ie. pipes that are not junctions or command-blocks, etc.). That is, if you select a pipe in the level with the 'fill' tool selected, it follows the path of the pipe in both directions (until it reaches a dead-end or a pipe that is not an ordinary pipe) and changes the pipe-colour as it follows the path.

Nils Fagerburg said:

- A flip interchange direction button might be nice for people who don't RTFM.

Is this in the level-editor or game? If in the level-editor, do you mean a button that switches the interchange (or flips the obstacle-direction) of the selected square? If in the game, do you mean a small button in the interchange square that switches the interchange if pressed?

Nils Fagerburg said:

- Some track pieces affected by egg colour would be nice.

One thing I could add is a pipe that's a bit like a separator, but has five entrances instead of three. No matter which entrance incoming objects take, the eggs will exit at the exit that is the same colour as the egg. Ducks' eggs, along with chickens and ducks will leave the fifth pipe. An alternative idea I had for an egg-colour separator is something that works similar to the fowl/eggs separator (in which only objects entering the 'entrance' pipe become separated). This will have six entrances (one 'entrance' pipe and five 'exit' pipes). Only objects entring through the entrance pipe will be separated. Four of the exits will be where the coloured eggs go to (one for each colour), and the fifth exit will be where fowl (Chickens and ducks), and ducks' eggs end up. Anything entering in one of the exits will head straight to the entrance.

Another idea I had is a separator for separating anything related to chickens (chickens and chickens' eggs) from anything related to ducks (ducks and ducks' eggs) that is similar to the fowl/eggs separator square. But for this one, I may have to change the storyline a bit, because the invasion of the ducks is unexpected, and therefore, Farmer Pineapple would not have prepared anything for separating Chickens and ducks. I could say that Pineapple added te species-separators at the last minute, but then to comply with the storyline, the level-authours will have to use this type of separator sparingly.

William Labbett said:

Hi, I'd like to try it but when I download the windows file I just get an 11KB file that PowerArchiver doesn't like. Any suggestions ?

So after trying out Kikaru's suggestion, did you manage to download it in the end?

AE.

--

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

AE said:

I currently have someone composing some music for me

That would be me. Here's my contribution. If you have a karaoke player, you might even find some lyrics there. It's not complete yet, having some trouble with my midi player, which by the way is MidiSwing, a java application. Very simple, but it can do pitch bend rather easily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Is that a joke or what? Like the piece of music which contains 2 minutes of silence?

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Um... reload. :-[

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Sorry for my being so impatient - because the tune is really good! :D

--

Nils Fagerburg
Member #7,193
May 2006

A nice tile would be a speedup tile to accelerate whatever is going through.
An another nifty piece would be a piece that counts the number of objects going through it. It would be purely cosmetic (and perhaps useful for debugging), but would be a nice touch for one of my new levels.
Another detail that would be nice would be to have the cursor tile in the level editor be semi transparent so you tell it apart from a real tile.

--
There's no place like ~.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

I've now updated Chickens to Chickens 0.2.0.2. Come and get it!. I have added some of the suggestions that I've recieved in this thread (and a few other things), but not all of them. This is only a small update. Things like adding sound, music, a separate level-chooser screen, settings-screen, backdrop etc. are still on my todo-list.

Currently, I've created Windows and DOS builds of the latest version. A Linux-binary-build (and possibly even a Mac build) is in the pipeline.

Anyway, one of the new levels I've added (in the 'Logic Group') contains a simple calculator (that just adds numbers from 0-15 and produces a result from 0-30) that runs off ducks' eggs. Below is a screenshot of said level. See if you can spot the full-adder circuits.

{"name":"3137_large.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39e5ee058010e6eb27ecafda41193636.png","w":1280,"h":1248,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39e5ee058010e6eb27ecafda41193636"}3137_large.png

Here is a list of changes.

Quote:

• Game: Pressing 'H' during the game brings up a dialog with the level-text and some other pieces of information about the level.

• Game: When playing levels larger than a screen, pressing the keys on the numeric keypad now scrolls the screen in the direction of the number-key relative to the position of the '5' key.

• CSET: Pressing the left mousebutton on the 'type' button (or pressing 5 on the numeric keypad) now cycles the tile-type of the thing currently being carried by the mouse. The old behaviour (bringing up the tile-types menu) is now carried out by pressing the right mousebutton on the 'type'-button.

• Added the ability to save an image of the entire level. Press CTRL-K from either the Game or the Construction-set. The image is saved as chlvimxx.pcx in the directory Chickens was launched from.

• Doubled the sprite-limit. This means that there can now be twice as objects sprites in the level as there were before.

• AEGUI dialogs now yield some CPU time.

• The main loop now only does vsync()s if the Allegro variable _wait_for_vsync is set (this is set by default, but can be un-set by setting 'disable_vsync=1' in the INI file).

• The time that a number flashes for in the in-game statusdispaly can now be changed in the INI file using the 'illuminationcountdownstatusdisplayvalue' setting.

• The text "You are about to quit the game" has been replaced with "You are about to quit the level". This gives the impression that quitting just ends the level and does not does not exit the program. However, if an attempt to exit the game is made (eg. pressing the close-window button), then the text in the dialog is now "You are about to exit the program".

• The 'About dialog' reports on whether or not to wait for the vertical retrace, and whether or not the accurate FPS measurer is enabled.

• DOS version: The 'About' Dialog tells whether or not the program is being run in DOS under a multi-tasking OS (such as Windows), or in pure DOS.

• Bugfix: CSET: Add-Borders now deletes exit-tiles if a border was added on the right.

• Bugfix: CSET: If dead-ends are at the edge of a cropped area, the dead-ends at the edge would get deleted.

• Levels: Integrated Nils's 7-level level-pack into the 'Nice' and 'OhMy' levelgroups.

• Levels: Easy group: Made the last level of the easy group ("Split 'em up") easier to complete.

• Levels: Easy group: New Level: "The Radioactive Gag-Gag" (PWD = ALPHA)

• Levels: Easy group: New Level: "It's Super-Chicken to the rescue" (PWD = BIRD)

• Levels: Easy group: New Level: "Superfowl can lay eggs quickly" (PWD = BIRDEGG)

• Levels: Logic group: Increased the time limit on the second level by 1 minute.

• Levels: Logic group: New level: "The adding machine is the key" (PWD = CARRY). This demonstrates chaining a half adder and three full adders to create a machine that can add two four-bit numbers and produce a five-bit result.

• Levels: In z_logic.pmg, tidied up the flipflop level, and turned the half-adder into a fully functional level.

• And many other minor changes...

[EDIT:]

Nils Fagerburg said:

A nice tile would be a speedup tile to accelerate whatever is going through.

I thought about adding a new type of pipe where anything going through would double in speed while it was in the pipe, and return to normal speed once outside the new pipe-type. The only problem is that unless I make some modifications to the code, objects moving between the two pipe-types will change speed instantly and not speed up gradually. Or do you mean a tile that accellerates the objects so that they still move faster when moving through ordinary pipes? In this case, it might be hard to implement, and I'm not sure if the collision-engine could handle such fast-moving objects (without a major rewrite).

Nils Fagerburg said:

An another nifty piece would be a piece that counts the number of objects going through it. It would be purely cosmetic (and perhaps useful for debugging), but would be a nice touch for one of my new levels.

This is something that's easy to implement, but I might leave it until I make the next major update of the available tiles (I'm trying to minimise the number of updates I make to the level-data-format to minimise the number of different versions of the PMG file-format that I have to support). As well as just counting objects, it could also count things like the # of chickens, # of ducks, # of fowl (chickens and ducks combined), # of green eggs, etc. Also, I could make it switch an otherwise static-interchange somewhere else on the level if the count reaches a certain number.

Nils Fagerburg said:

Another detail that would be nice would be to have the cursor tile in the level editor be semi transparent so you tell it apart from a real tile.

Again, this is something I'm thinking about.Do you think it is best for a translucent cursor-tile (the ammount of translucency can be set as an option in the INI file), or a flickering cursor-tile?

Enjoy,

AE.

--

1   2   3 

Go to: