Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Chickens

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Chickens
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

You said:

From the point of view of the graphics, I need something for the background of the levels. Currently, the background is always dark magenta.

Yes, even if it is dark, it's still magenta and makes it look like a sprite bitmap resource. How about a wooden board wall, like the inside of a barn or something. Then for each level, if it is possible, make a shadow of the pipes, blurr it and blend it with the wall, say 50 pixels to the right and 20 down compared to the original. This would add the nice 3D feeling in the outlook, even if the gameplay is 2D.

[edit]
One picture tells more than a thousand nerds:

{"name":"590561","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/d\/fd2b6ee768948cd17e3a2a06d9b605d9.jpg","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/d\/fd2b6ee768948cd17e3a2a06d9b605d9"}590561

The left and upper edge of the shadow doesn't look good, but you could place a darker wall and a ceiling there, to improve the room feeling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Nils Fagerburg
Member #7,193
May 2006

Quote:

Quote:

A nice tile would be a speedup tile to accelerate whatever is going through.

I thought about adding a new type of pipe where anything going through would double in speed while it was in the pipe, and return to normal speed once outside the new pipe-type. The only problem is that unless I make some modifications to the code, objects moving between the two pipe-types will change speed instantly and not speed up gradually. Or do you mean a tile that accellerates the objects so that they still move faster when moving through ordinary pipes? In this case, it might be hard to implement, and I'm not sure if the collision-engine could handle such fast-moving objects (without a major rewrite).

If it's hard to implement it's probably not worth it, at least from my point of view. The reason I would have liked a tile like that was to compensate for a long stretch of boring track, but that would just have been a hackish fix for a crappy level design.

Quote:

This is something that's easy to implement, but I might leave it until I make the next major update of the available tiles (I'm trying to minimise the number of updates I make to the level-data-format to minimise the number of different versions of the PMG file-format that I have to support). As well as just counting objects, it could also count things like the # of chickens, # of ducks, # of fowl (chickens and ducks combined), # of green eggs, etc. Also, I could make it switch an otherwise static-interchange somewhere else on the level if the count reaches a certain number.

I'm looking forward to this. :D

Quote:

Again, this is something I'm thinking about.Do you think it is best for a translucent cursor-tile (the ammount of translucency can be set as an option in the INI file), or a flickering cursor-tile?

I think having it translucent would be better, but as I said, it's really a minor issue.

Quote:

A Linux-binary-build (and possibly even a Mac build) is in the pipeline.

Great! :D I no longer have a windows machine readily available which makes playing Chickens complicated. :( (I can't seem to get it to work with WINE)

Quote:

One picture tells more than a thousand nerds: fd2b6ee768948cd17e3a2a06d9b605d9.thumb.jpg

The left and upper edge of the shadow doesn't look good, but you could place a darker wall and a ceiling there, to improve the room feeling.

Looks very nice. An alternative to having the left and top all dark would be to make the faucet tiles have a longer shadow that includes a fictional off screen pipe that leads to it.

--
There's no place like ~.

ngiacomelli
Member #5,114
October 2004

I loved it. Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Is there a 'fast-forward' button? That's one thing I missed.

Nils Fagerburg
Member #7,193
May 2006

Quote:

Is there a 'fast-forward' button? That's one thing I missed.

You can use the scroll wheel or up/down keys to alter the game speed.

For logic levels perhaps a circuit board would be nice background. Here's an edited picture of my current WIP level. I made the drop shadows look better by extending the faucet tiles upward and left on the edges. (I stole the wonderful adding machine from AE's level.)

{"name":"590614","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/a\/ca8a38005534c3966e562a55c27f4e57.jpg","w":640,"h":736,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/a\/ca8a38005534c3966e562a55c27f4e57"}590614

A few more ideas:
-The ability to place chickens the same way you can place ducks. That way you could even have levels without chicken-faucets.
-Alternative goals, for instance instead of having to get N chickens to the drain tile you could have levels that you win by killing all or N# ducks, or by having N# chickens within a certain area, and so on...
-Tiles that set a switch to a certain position. A bit like the 'transistor' tiles but that would toggle the state until it was re toggled rather than only when there is something going through it.

I think I had some other ideas but I forgot for now. :P

--
There's no place like ~.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Apologies for the delay in my response, but I've recently had to re-install Windows.

Johan Halmén said:

How about a wooden board wall, like the inside of a barn or something. Then for each level, if it is possible, make a shadow of the pipes, blurr it and blend it with the wall, say 50 pixels to the right and 20 down compared to the original. This would add the nice 3D feeling in the outlook, even if the gameplay is 2D.

While I was originally thinking of using outdoor backdrops (pictures of farms and the surrounding scenery/sky/etc.), I like how the images have turned out with the wooden and circuit-board backdrops, and am considering changing my mind on this. If anyone has any other ideas for backdrops, then please post them here or mail me. I personally think that the shadow could be a darkened version of the background and not black, as otherwise, the contrast between the level and the background would be too great.

The only thing I'm worried about is that because I am using an 8-bit paletted mode, the effect might not turn out too well in 8-bits. Fortunately, I have about 32 spare entries in my palette, that could be changed according to which backdrop is being used. As well as the backdrop, I would have to account for the shadow when allocating my palette, but at least I can use the fixed entries as well as the 32 free entries.

It would be nice to have a variety of different backdrops. Various types of wood for the different types of barn, a metalic looking 'barn' for an 'outer-space farm' and of course, the circuit-board.

As Nils suggested, the shadow should be extended to the left and top by adding an extra pipe before the taps. I prefer this to the darker wall/ceiling.

One thing I'm wondering about is what should happen when the screen is scrolled? Should the background scroll, remain fixed, or scroll at a different rate than the level? Unless the background scrolls at the same speed as the foreground, I would have to re-draw the translucent shadow every time scrolling occurs. However, a pre-drawn background with shadow can take up huge ammounts of RAM for the larger levels, but I could of course use dirty rectangles if the background scrolled at the same speed as the level. Also, blurring the tiles seems like an expensive operation in terms of speed, but I could have a pre-drawn set of blurred tiles. Of course, I could make a configuration setting that lets the player chose how the backgroud should scroll with the foreground.

Nils Fagerburg while talking about accellerator tiles said:

If it's hard to implement it's probably not worth it, at least from my point of view. The reason I would have liked a tile like that was to compensate for a long stretch of boring track, but that would just have been a hackish fix for a crappy level design.

It's unlikely I'll ever implement accellerator tiles, although there's a small chance I might implement a set of 'turbo-pipes' where anything that goes through moves at twice (or more) the regular speed.

An alternative is to use spacewarps for long boring stretches of track. However with spacewarp tiles, it will be harder to see which pipes lead where, although they could be useful for supplying a 'supply voltage' to those hard to reach areas. One thing I might end up doing is to increase the spacewarp-limit from 4 to an unlimited amount. To do this, I would have to add to each spacewarp tile the ability for it to remember a user-specified set of tile-coordinates. I could also use this to create non-reflective spacewarps (ie. instead of all A->B spacewarps doing B->A when entered from the other end, they could do B->C etc.), and even to implement things such as interchange-controlled interchanges that change state according to the state of another object in the level (such as another interchange). Internally, spacewarps work this way already - when the game starts, each spacearp is scanned for it's twin (determined by tile-type - hence the limit of four), and they remember the co-ordinates of their twin. However, I would have to implement a means of selecting an associated tile in the level-editor (and modify the PMG file-format to remember associated tiles), and think of what to do if a block of suqares containing several linked-to tiles and linked-from tiles is cut, pasted and pasted again.

Nils Fagerburg said:

Quote:

This is something that's easy to implement, but I might leave it until I make the next major update of the available tiles (I'm trying to minimise the number of updates I make to the level-data-format to minimise the number of different versions of the PMG file-format that I have to support). As well as just counting objects, it could also count things like the # of chickens, # of ducks, # of fowl (chickens and ducks combined), # of green eggs, etc. Also, I could make it switch an otherwise static-interchange somewhere else on the level if the count reaches a certain number.

I'm looking forward to this. :D

I might implement some of the easier to implement suggestions (such as the counter), but at the moment, I'm a bit concerned about feature-bloat. I need to dicipline myself to get what I have polished up and out of the way, rather than adding a never ending cascade of features - otherwise, it will never get finished. This has already happened to the level-editor. However, if you do have any ideas for the game or level-editor, please post them here. It might just be easy enough to implement quickly - you never know.

However, I plan on making an update to the PMG file so I can get ythe user to chose and select different backgrounds and music on a per-level basis, so I might just add a few more block-types.

Nils Fagerburg said:

(I can't seem to get it to work with WINE)

Just out of interest, have you tried to see if you can get the DOS build to work in DosEmu/DosBox/Bochs/etc?

Nils Fagerburg said:

Quote:

Is there a 'fast-forward' button? That's one thing I missed.

You can use the scroll wheel or up/down keys to alter the game speed.

This is mentioned in both the manual, the FAQ and is mentioned three times in the hints to the easy-level. Looks like I'll have to implement an in-game GUI afterall.

Nils Fagerburg said:

ca8a38005534c3966e562a55c27f4e57.thumb.jpg

Wow. I look forward to playing it.

If you need some inspiration for some levels based on digital logic, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Digital_circuits

Nils Fagerburg said:

-The ability to place chickens the same way you can place ducks. That way you could even have levels without chicken-faucets.

This should be easy to implement, but I may have to modify the storyline to allow for chickens that are already in the level. At the moment, it is however possible to have more than one chicken-tap in the level.

Nils Fagerburg said:

-Alternative goals, for instance instead of having to get N chickens to the drain tile you could have levels that you win by killing all or N# ducks, or by having N# chickens within a certain area, and so on...

For that, I would have to make some additions to the gameplay dynamics - especially in the 'N# chickens within a certain area' part.

Nils Fagerburg said:

-Tiles that set a switch to a certain position. A bit like the 'transistor' tiles but that would toggle the state until it was re toggled rather than only when there is something going through it.

This is actually easy to implement and I might just do it. I would just create a second-type of NOCI-tile (it looks like the regular NOCI but the pipe underneath is a different colour). Incidentally, it is currently possible to get a similar effect by creating a flip-flop (see the first logic-level for an example), but the catch is that you need to supply it with a stream of objects to get it in a fixed state, whereas your NOCI idea can do that with a single object. One thing you could build with this new type of NOCI is a pulse-generator. You could connect one of the outputs of a splitter-circuit to one of these NOCIS to create one.

Nils Fagerburg said:

I think I had some other ideas but I forgot for now.

Please post them here - be they ideas for the game or the level editor. However, I should really do a feature-freeze and save new features for the sequel, but I'm addicted to adding more features.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Time for a public explanation, I think:
As I was and still am dealing with serious motivation problems lately, I haven't had the energy to read the full thread(too much text:P). I also thought that I hadn't had enough motivation left to finish doing all the graphics in my free time after the workday was done.
So I'm keeping this very brief here (already wrote you a long email Andrei).

I like the idea with the wooden texture and the shadow as a backdrop, I also like the circuit board.

Anyway, struggling to get my motivation back or rather fighting to make me think that it is my duty to finish the work left to be done on the graphics for Chickens (it still couldn't hurt to get someone else for reinforcement in doing the graphics) I started doing sketches for the title screen. I threw away the first few sketches and currently this(see below) is the latest one but I already have an idea for a better one, where the duck and the chicken will be shown like that with their full bodies visible inside a half open tube curve that will be facing the viewer.
{"name":"590718","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/6\/168f9274df6cd672b4a6fdcf0bc8e0ed.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/6\/168f9274df6cd672b4a6fdcf0bc8e0ed"}590718
I'm also posting this, so that the thread won't die until I have the title screen finished.;)

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Dennis, that looks amazing! If your new idea should look even better ... what can I say then? :o

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

That's just great, Dennis! Only bad thing is that I would have to make another tune for the title music. I have a jolly country theme ready, but that image would need something more aggressive.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

john wells
Member #8,052
November 2006

Am clad you have done what you set out to do all the them years ago while we was working with you at Runecraft in Dewsbury.

We all thought you was crazy, We might have been right!

All the best John Wells, Andy Noble.

Nice to hear from you matey.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Michael:
I'm surprised that you already find a mere sketch to be amazing but thanks. :)

Johan:
I skimmed through the thread again and found your midi tune. I like it very much, it's very lively and happy but it does indeed not fit to that title sketch, so if your title music is similar to that other tune, one of us will have to change his work. I still want to sketch out my other idea, which I haven't done yet but since the general idea of confrontation wouldn't change it also wouldn't fit your music...so if it turns out that I'll have plenty of time this weekend, I might think of another "happy" title screen, maybe one with a Chicken party in front of a barn or something though that wouldn't have any elements of the game in it and I want to put game elements on the title screen. So I don't know, don't have another idea yet.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Dennis: Andrei had some thoughts of different kinds of music for the game. I haven't done all of them yet, probably I won't do all of them. But some of them would indeed go well with your title screen. So keep on the good work!

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Dennis: That's a pretty good sketch. It would look better in colour, but thankfully, the palette I'm using for the title-screen is divided into 15 hues + grey - each with 16 shades, so you just need to select an area, and add a multiple of 16 to the colour-indices. The chicken looks almost perfect, but the duck looks a bit like a goose (it would look better if it looked more like the duck you drew for the game). Perhaps both their necks could be shortened. I like the fists. Perhaps if you ever get the motivation to re-do the Superchicken and Superduck sprites, you could replace the wings with fists.

At the moment, the sketch looks more urban than farmyard-like. One thing you could do is to shrink the image so that it appears in the foreground of the bottom of the screen in the middle. The background could be a barn with a chicken party while other chickens are being attacked by the ducks (the ducks would be dive-bombing them and laying eggs on top of them), and perhaps even some Chickens playing some musical instruments (the exact set of instruments would of course depend on the tune which is eventually chosen for the title-screen). While your original image will still be there, there will be less of a confrontation theme.

One thing I'd also need to do is to place the buttons that lead to the other screens. Following the advice others have suggested, I'm thinking of replacing the level-selection buttons ("Easy", "Nice", "OhMy", Aaarrgh!", "Logic" (and a few more I've not done yet)) with a single "Play" button that leads to a separate level-group selection screen. The main screen will just contain the buttons "Play", "Construction set", "Credits", "About" (I might just leave this merged with the "Credits button"), "Settings", "Quit" [EDIT: and "Help"]. At the moment, they are on a couple of stone slabs, but I'm thinking of replacing them with buttons on a wooden background (using the same sort of wood that you've used for the in-game status-display). You don't need to draw the buttons themselves - you just need to leave space for the buttons to go. I may use your sketch in more than one front-end screen.

The front-end will be split up into the following screens: Title-screen, Level-chooser screen, Credits screen, Settings screen, New-level-group screen (at the start of each level-group) New-level screen (at the start of each level), and Group-completion screen. I think that I could use the same image for all frontend screens, but if you feel motivated enough, some of them could use different images.

Johan: Do you think you could send Dennis the tunes you've made so far? This could help get a titlescreen backdrop and tune that work well together. Originally, I was thinking of playing a MOD which is a re-mix of the song Popcorn, but I'm starting to lean towards your jolly country theme.

John: Nice to hear from you as well mate. Good to see the old Runecraft posse popping up now and again. Say what you like about my sanity, but in response, I say :P . But really, nice to hear from you. Anyway, I'll try your game out sometime.

AE.

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Andrei, may I kindly remind you that it is just a sketch? ;) The final version will of course be colored and a lot more detailed and less sloppy and and and...
A sketch isn't meant to be at production quality, it's just meant to present ideas and to work out a goal and then that sketch is taken and turned into something good. But as long as it is a sketch, it's sloppy, contains loads of perspective errors, maybe wrong proportions and other evil things, just like this latest one here(I threw away the idea with the half open tube and instead sketched out the scene as you described it):
{"name":"590737","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/3\/c3a7af51327ab24123d3ae47b93eadfe.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/3\/c3a7af51327ab24123d3ae47b93eadfe"}590737
Not in the sketch yet are the running away chickens and the duck bombers and the party, but I marked where they are going to be with arrows and text. The signpost in the middle is where the menu can go. There will be rolling hills in the back, maybe more fences, small forest patches, the sky will have some clouds which enclose the top middle portion of the screen in a circleish pattern. There will probably also be more tubes. I took tomorrow off of work, so I have a whole three day weekend to start cooking.

The overall aggressiveness in the picture might be because I'm listening to Iron Maiden and Edguy while I'm sketching.

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

Oh, my... here comes me with a long post. Please forgive me if I repeat something said above, because I have read only some 80% of all the thread. :D
Say, your game is really good and addictive. The concept as a whole is impressive! All this praise got me interested in the game, so now I'm up for helping, even if by raising morale :)
I've come up with some ideas for major changes, if you will:

On backgrounds: instead of having those pipes and adding backdrops to them, why not have the course integrate the background? I don't really like that idea as in pipes + chickens... in fact, I do, for it's cool. But my suggestion is you make it really a farm, and have the objects walk on trails on the grass. It will look less like those Pipes games (whose names I happened to forget now), plus it will look tidier and cozy :)
Also, start and end points could be barns, you could add fences, and all that country feel.
On gameplay: what bugged me most while playing it is the scroll speed change. I think it would be more logical if scrolling up made it faster, and it could be less sensitive as well. You take a nice bunch of seconds to get full speed. However, I appreciate the click restoring the minimal speed, it's a very nice idea :)
On "graphics": it looks kind of ugly when an object is passing through a pipe that has just turned the opposite way, or when it passes through the back wall of the pipe. I know there's not much to be done there for the sake of game logic, but again the farm idea would solve this in some way. You could have fences for the "pipe walls", and objects would just leap over them if needed. (don't ask why don't they jump it when game logic wouldn't allow it ;) )
On networking: ok, this is the most dramatic change, but I think it does more than paying off! Your game engine not only would fit perfectly multiplayer, but is even asking for it!
(of course, it would ask for screen scrolling and really big levels, but seems like that's already been implemented and I'm just a bit late.)
You have ducks and chickens now; if you take the ducks privileges (which aren't even many, I can only think of mono-colored eggs right now) away, they can fit perfectly for other players. Each player would have his/her "barn" (as said above), and it could also be the exit barn for other players (if not, you could just add one right beside the start barn). To make it the clearest: a player could reach any other player's barn for succeeding. Hatchers and nests would be collective, in the middle of the stage, and players could even start with just one chicken each. You could set objectives to exterminate all enemy forces, or take enemy barns by putting a determined amount of chickens inside and be the king of the hill, you choose.
You could also add races for more game fun. For instance, one player might play the ducks, another the chickens, another one the geese, and so on. Or maybe just different colored chickens :D
How would players swap the trails' directions is a good question. Maybe they all should just be free for all to move, which could sound thrilling, but would probably lead to situations where the fastest clicker would win on a certain tile.
On the art: first, I must say more than on the rest of the post, this part is really IMHO, so feel free to discuss, as in opposition to simply say I'm wrong. :)
Graphics look really cool! I shall congratulate Dennis for the sprites, which look tidy and nice. :)
Just as discussed, there is a serious background urge. The layout/GUI could be seriously improved as well, but I'm aware that's under way,
Johan's tune is incredibly nice and sweet, and it's totally approved for gameplay, as long as the title screen brings something more aggressive ;)
If you feel the need, I could do some of that background/additional graphics myself, or some music too. Just the sound effects, which are all you really need now, I can't do. ;D

So, here's the compilation of all my ideas and opinions. I hope not to have forgotten anything.
Very creative and good game, I repeat, and I'm looking forward to see it move towards a glorious destiny. Also willing to help is this poster, even if he does not bring any help at all. :P
Cheers, and keep it up :)

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Dennis: Nice pic. I luv it! The suggestions for improving it as well are also good. Here are some of my own suggestions.

• As you said, there should be more tubes. In order not to clutter up the picture, the complicated tube-junctions (complete with interchanges) could be in the distance, and only a few simple pipe-layouts near the screen-plane (such as the one you've already drawn). Also, one of the pipes could lead inside the barn.

• As well as the tubes, a console for controling the junction should be shown. This will contain some large levers (which are used to control the PCIs). The console can be drawn in the distance, so there is no need to draw it too detailed.

• A larger barn. Possily one that looks like this but with an open door.

• The bomber ducks should be swooping at a lower altitude.

Also, now that it looks like the Chickens logo is going to be letters on a wooden background, do you think I should ditch the distortion-effect and rainbow effect and just use your letters? If I do that, it will mean that you can use whatever palette you like on the titlescreen (even the in-game palette if you want). I could instead use the distortion effect and the rainbow effect for a "Group complete" screen to give the player a more interersting reward for completing a group.

Pedro: Nice one! Any help is appreciated. As well as background gfx and additional music, you could also use the game's built in level-editor to create your own levels. Just mail me your levels (or post them here) when you've finished them.

Quote:

On backgrounds: instead of having those pipes and adding backdrops to them, why not have the course integrate the background?

I prefer pipes, as it's easier to see the paths the chickens will take, and these can get pretty complicated. An interactive background at this stage would take too much re-coding, but what I could do is have a separate set of tiles for drawing background images. These could be 32x32 pixel (or 64x64 or even 128 x 128) tiles that can be arranged to produce images of barns and the farm outside. The graphics will be a 2D side-on view (a 3D perspective image cannot so easily be composed from tiles). The level-editor will have an option for drawing a background image from these tiles. As well as tiles for the background, I could also add foreground tiles so that things like support-poles could be drawn in front of the pipes. I could also use these foreground tiles to hide certain sections of pipe to truly give them that black-box feeling.

There could be several sets of tiles. Each tileset would have a different theme. They would be "English countryside farm" (a bit like Dennis's drawing), "American desert-ranch farm" (anabandoned farm in the desert, complete with a cattle-head skull), "Underwater farm" (seaweed and fish), "Space farm" (a farm on another planet), and possibly more. Currently, there are about 24 free entries in the palette (there may be more if the 1st 16 colours are recycled). The backgrounds may use colours from anywhere in the palette, but each tileset can set the 24 or so remaining colours (including the background) to whatever it wants.

Quote:

On gameplay: what bugged me most while playing it is the scroll speed change. I think it would be more logical if scrolling up made it faster, and it could be less sensitive as well. You take a nice bunch of seconds to get full speed.

It's actually possible to reverse the mouse-wheel direction. In the CHICKENS.INI file, the setting invertmousewheelspeedchangedir reverses the direction the mousewheel/arrows must be moved/pressed. Set this to 1 to reverse this. Also, holding down SHIFT as you move the mousewheel quadruples the rate of speed-change.

Quote:

On "graphics": it looks kind of ugly when an object is passing through a pipe that has just turned the opposite way, or when it passes through the back wall of the pipe.

One of the things I need to do is to improve the path the sprites take on curved pipes. At the moment, the curve is automaticcally calculated, but I need to tweak it a bit more. Hopefully, they should all fit into the pipe.

Quote:

On networking:

Believe it or not, I actually have plans for a multiplayer Chickens. However, that's one of the features being left until after version 1.0 has come out, and to be honest, I don't think I'll have the time to implement. I've mentioned it in the design document (which is currently undergoing a major revision). Like you said, the ducks' eggs will come in four colours, and I'll be using extra species (such as geese, moorhens, ostritches, cuckoos, etc.) - each with their own shape of eggs (square eggs, triangular eggs, and even star-shaped eggs - ouch!). Each species will have their own starting-tap, and their own exit (they can also win by killing off all other players). The interchanges can only be controlled by a single player (the background (or foreground) of the interchange will contain an icon shaped like the egg of the species that owns the interchange). If I use shared interchanges, it will degenerate into who can click the fastest, so there won't be any shared interchanges. The same goes for the delay-egg blocks.

Quote:

If you feel the need, I could do some of that background/additional graphics myself, or some music too.

Cool! I'm especially in need of some background gfx. See above for my ideas on the background tilesets.

Additional music would also be welcome. Is your peferred format of composition MIDI or MOD? I'm thinking of having all the in-game tunes as MIDI, but the titlescreen / level-start and group-complete tunes as MODs (MODs have the advantage that I can use sampled sounds such as clucking chickens).

Attatched is a MOD file of how I immagined the titlescreen music to sound like. The melody will be replaced by clucking.

Good to have you on board. Look forward to your contributions.

AE.

--

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

I can do MIDI... I can't do MOD. Err I can, but I prefer not to, I have no experience with MOD at all. You could use timed sound effects for clucking chickens, if needed.
About the attached file: are you sure? Is that your own work? It's just a remix of that Crazy-Frog Popcorn tune, and I don't like very much how it sounds (MHO mode on: maybe it's just me, so please don't take this too bad!). From what you said I can't tell if you're using it as a resampled version or if just for having an idea of the feel.
Wasn't the Title Screen music supposed to sound aggressive? Maybe it's just me, but I thought of heavy rockish tunes. That may be just my specialty, if you change your mind ;)

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

square eggs

Anyone read the Carl Barks story (Donald Duck)? Just great, as all Barks stories.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Pedro Avelar Gontijo said:

I can do MIDI... I can't do MOD. Err I can, but I prefer not to, I have no experience with MOD at all. You could use timed sound effects for clucking chickens, if needed.

That's OK. Stick to the background gfx for now. You're welcome to contribute a MIDI or two as well.

About the attached file: are you sure? Is that your own work? It's just a remix of that Crazy-Frog Popcorn tune, and I don't like very much how it sounds (MHO mode on: maybe it's just me, so please don't take this too bad!). From what you said I can't tell if you're using it as a resampled version or if just for having an idea of the feel.

This is not my work. The MOD is a MOD that I've had lyeing around for ages. In fact, it wasn't even remixed by me. I just posted it here so that you could all get an idea for the sort of music I originally had in mind for the titlescreen. I'm not sure about the copyright status of the Popcorn tune, but it appears that there have been millions of commerical remixes of that song (the latest being the one from that amphibian of questionable sanity), so I'm not sure how copyrighted the melody is. If there are copyright issues, the melody could of course be changed.

Wasn't the Title Screen music supposed to sound aggressive? Maybe it's just me, but I thought of heavy rockish tunes. That may be just my specialty, if you change your mind ;)

At the moment, the titlescreen pic and titlescreen music are in flux. I like Dennis's pic, and I'm sure a suitable tune can come up. Now that the aggressive-looking Chicken and duck are just in the bottom-part of the screen, I can immagine Johan's jolly country theme being used. The more I think about it, the more a MOD would be suited for the titlescreen, because MODs can contain sampled clucking sounds. The in-game music does not need any clucking sounds, as there will be enough clucking from the chickens. A Popcorn-esque tune would be suited if there were Chickens playing the instruments in the background.

AE.

--

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I skimmed through a lot of this thread but when is a Linux build coming? I tried the game in wine but the mouse wouldnt respond, although the title screen came up.

Also the zip should have a top level directory that the rest of the game is underneath.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Here's the progress I made this weekend:
{"name":"590774","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/1\/2141f3b20c66a65d1ff6feeec52bae11.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/1\/2141f3b20c66a65d1ff6feeec52bae11"}590774
Did only work on it for a couple of hours, because I just can't push pixels around for three days straight and I also had some social duties to fulfill, like drinking beer and playing poker with old friends and also getting a christmas tree, having coffee and cake with my parents... (excuses of a slacker). So as usual, progress is slow on my side.

Andrei said:

• As you said, there should be more tubes. In order not to clutter up the picture, the complicated tube-junctions (complete with interchanges) could be in the distance, and only a few simple pipe-layouts near the screen-plane (such as the one you've already drawn). Also, one of the pipes could lead inside the barn.

• As well as the tubes, a console for controling the junction should be shown. This will contain some large levers (which are used to control the PCIs). The console can be drawn in the distance, so there is no need to draw it too detailed.

• A larger barn. Possily one that looks like this [en.wikipedia.org] but with an open door.

</li>
Those are all nice ideas and they will be in the final version. I also plan of having the party Chickens drink beer. One of them is going to hold a beer up high, one foot in the air, other hand(wing) on the fork. I'll add more details whenever they come to mind. This is going to take forever to finish.;D

Andrei said:

Also, now that it looks like the Chickens logo is going to be letters on a wooden background, do you think I should ditch the distortion-effect and rainbow effect and just use your letters?

Yeah, ditch it. The letters in the finished version will look better than those in the sketch.

Andrei said:

Johan: Do you think you could send Dennis the tunes you've made so far? This could help get a titlescreen backdrop and tune that work well together.

I received your tunes, Johan. Just didn't find time to answer the mail yet.

Welcome to the team Pedro, now stop reading my useless comments here and get to work you slacker.:P

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I probably get the best laughs from the fact that hens are female but that hen in Dennis' picture is as macho as can be. That's a male hen! ;D

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

That thought occured to me also and at one point I even thought of keeping the jacket open a bit to insert a pair of tits..:-X

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Like the updated image - especially the dueling chicken and duck. I'm pretty sure the duck will end up looking more duck-like once it's colored in.

I'm just wondering how I'm going to fit seven buttons on the four wooden boards. Perhaps I could have two buttons per board, with the exception of the "Play" button which takes up an entire board.

Also, the only screens I have in mind that would use the boards attatched to the poles are the main menu and the level-group selection screen (the settings screen will bring up a dialog). I'm wondering how the board will transition form one menu to the other. Here are some ideas.

• The boards would detatch and fall to the bottom, to be replaced by another set of boards that rise to where the old boards were and attatch themselves.

• The entire pole would do the same as above, while the boards would remain attatched.

• The pole would rotate 180 degrees round the Y axis and show the other side of the board. This would be good if there were only 2 menu screens, but if I ever chose to do more than 2 menu screens, it would imply that the contents of the far side of the board get changed (although there's really nothing wrong with that).

• The pole would rotaste around the Z axis (or X azis) just enough for the boards to be completely buried, and then, a replacement board would appear from the ground being rotated round the Z axis (or X azis).

Personally, I prefer solutions that do not involve introducing 3D graphics code, as this would add size to the execuatbale.

Nethertheless, the board and pole are going to have to be a separate layer, and the chicken and duck at the bottom are going to be in another layer on top of the board-layer and background layer.

Dennis Busch said:

Yeah, ditch it. The letters in the finished version will look better than those in the sketch.

OK. Also, do you think the letters should be securely attatched, or should they be attatched by just one nail so they can move a bit relative to the board?

Dennis Busch said:

This is going to take forever to finish.

Keep at it. Who knows, you might even finish it before the rest of the game is finished.

Johan Halmén said:

I probably get the best laughs from the fact that hens are female but that hen in Dennis' picture is as macho as can be. That's a male hen!

The chickens in Chickes are sex-less. Any non-radioactive chicken can lay an egg if it goes past an empty nest. Any egg can hatch if left in an incubator long enough. I'd say the male-ness/macho-ness of the chicken and duck in Dennis's pic are just about perfect.

AE.

--

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

Just passing by... do you think it would be better if we had a mailing list?
And still, I haven't got any suggestions with what to work on yet. If you think I should write anything out of the blue (e.g. anything I have in mind with no genre restriction whatsoever), it's ok too. I hope to have any sense left ;D

Dennis Busch said:

This is going to take forever to finish.;D

Faito, Dennis-san! :D
You can do it. :)

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

My thoughts to Andrei's ideas of the menu screen transitions:
Well the ideas are nice but that would also mean more artwork to do. I first want to finish the static titlescreen and after that I'll see if I can make separate layers from the boards, pole and the fighters. I think the falling down boards and reattaching of new ones would be requiring the least amount of additional artwork(the individual boards would be sprites, also the nails).
Letters would be painted on the boards, so they wouldn't be attached at all.

As for the seven buttons to fit onto the boards:
Maybe some other elements of the final screen could also serve as a link to additional screens, e.g. that control console that you suggested could lead to the construction set or the settings.

And yay, I kept at it, worked on it almost every evening during the week(no freetime for me:)). Progress:
{"name":"590842","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/3\/233ad4b38a2facc671ab50dc5a4a2663.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/3\/233ad4b38a2facc671ab50dc5a4a2663"}590842
I'll redo the tube, because it turned to be completely out of perspective. I know this doesn't look like a lot of progress and maybe it isn't but it's taking a freaking huge amount of time to get proper handpixelled(placing one pixel at the time) lineart from that sketch. I dare not to even think about how long it will take to color, texture, shade, light and antialias this, but well Pixelart for the win. We'll see. With constant feedback and comments I think I can do it.

Faito! Thanks Chi, uhm Pedro ;).
A mailing list? Nah, what we need is an IRC channel where we can logon every evening after work to slack and to do idle chattering... uhm to discuss our progress.

1   2   3 

Go to: