Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Chickens

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Chickens
Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

Looking good so far :)
I know how tiresome it is to do lineart. Then you'll color it and it's more rewarding. Then you'll anti-alias it, and it'll... err, nevermind, you don't need to think about it :D you know how good it'll feel to see the entire piece done.

Dennis Busch said:

A mailing list? Nah, what we need is an IRC channel where we can logon every evening after work to slack and to do idle chattering... uhm to discuss our progress.

Good idea. Maybe we could set up a new channel, or if you want you could also use Silly Joy (#silly-joy@freenode), if the lurkers don't mind.
As for me, I'm finishing a piece for BAF right now, and will start working on tunes for Chickens soon. Way to go! :)

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Just to let you know that an experimental MacOS X version is now available. This has not been widely tested, and there's still a few issues to iron out. Thanks go to Otto Halmén for compiling it. It can be found in the Chickens depot page.

Pedro Avelar Gontijo said:

Just passing by... do you think it would be better if we had a mailing list?

I think that's a good idea. I'm hoping to keep this thread alive until a Chickens IOTD appears, and see if it generates more interest. After that, I think it's best if we let this thread die a dignified death and let the developpers have their own mailing-list. I'll look into setting up a mailing-list with Yahoogroups.

Dennis Busch said:

A mailing list? Nah, what we need is an IRC channel where we can logon every evening after work to slack and to do idle chattering... uhm to discuss our progress.

I think it's best just to stick to a mailing-list for the time being. We'll see how things go from there.

Dennis Busch said:

I think the falling down boards and reattaching of new ones would be requiring the least amount of additional artwork(the individual boards would be sprites, also the nails).

OK. We'll do it like that then. The nails will fly out, the boards will fall, and then, a new set of boards will rise to where the old boards once were, and the nails will fly into the wood just when it reaches the right height.

Dennis Busch said:

Letters would be painted on the boards, so they wouldn't be attached at all.

An idea that involves even less work is to have the letters for each menu to fade out and fade to the letters for the new menu. However, this may not look as nice as the moving boards.
Just out of interest, do you immagine that the letters are painted on and it would be possible to see the underlying wood texture through the letters, or will the letters be made out of a different material?

Dennis Busch said:

As for the seven buttons to fit onto the boards:
Maybe some other elements of the final screen could also serve as a link to additional screens, e.g. that control console that you suggested could lead to the construction set or the settings.

I can easily fit seven buttons on the boards. The first three boards will conatin two buttons each - one at either side of the nails. The fourth will contain "Play" written accross the board in larger letters. In the level-group chooser screen, the first three boards will conatin two buttons like the main menu. However, the fourth board will contain four buttons. "Prev" and "Next" for scrolling through the available level-groups, "Back" for returning to the main menu, and a "Load Level Group" button for loading your own level-group.

I don't think that having the button for the level-editor in the settings-screen will be a good idea - that's not very intuitive. The settings editor is just meant to be able to tweak the game-settings in game (without having to hand-edit the INI file)

Quote:

With constant feedback and comments I think I can do it.

This version is looking good. It's getting there. Keep at it. No matter how little you move along the path, it will always be closer to the destination.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Hm, maybe I'll submit the titlescreen to IOTD when it's done.

Mailinglist then. Just make sure to not flood it with every tiny detail of changes to the code, because it's quite tiresome to read that. ;) Please keep information brief and get straight to the important things that are needed to get the work done appropriately.

I was thinking of paint with the wood texture being visible through it.

Almost there (the lineart that is..). Progress:
{"name":"590859","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/a\/badc58b953972ddb1691030adfbf3cea.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/a\/badc58b953972ddb1691030adfbf3cea"}590859

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Dennis Busch said:

Almost there (the lineart that is..). Progress:

Well done. It's looking more complete.

Dennis Busch said:

I was thinking of paint with the wood texture being visible through it.

I've had another idea for the transition from one menu to another. Instead of the wooden boards falling off and re-appearing, the painted text can move on the boards. If the font is drawn using translucent text-rendering, the text can move around on the board, fade in and out (if there are enough 'transition colours' in the palette) and even morph into other text (using a similar effect to the one I used in the titlescreen of Video Games I. In fact, I might even be able to have the text-distortion effect on the painted word 'Chickens' as well. The advantage of this method is that the boards do not have to be drawn separately, and the entire image can be drawn as a single layer.

Dennis Busch said:

Hm, maybe I'll submit the titlescreen to IOTD when it's done.

Go for it. I'll leave it up yo you to submit the titlescreen when you think it's ready. Speaking of IOTD, my adding machine has now made it to the IOTD.

Dennis Busch said:

Mailinglist then. Just make sure to not flood it with every tiny detail of changes to the code, because it's quite tiresome to read that. ;) Please keep information brief and get straight to the important things that are needed to get the work done appropriately.

OK. I'll try and add a summary of important changes, but I think it's a good idea to list everything else as well so you know what's changed. Also, remember that the important things for an Artist may not be important for a Musician (eg. the ability to tweak a certain colour) and vice versa.

Do you think we need just one mailing-list ('chickens-devel'), or would a separate list for announcements ('chickens-announce') be useful too?

Frank Drebin said:

where's the linux binary?

So far, there have been a few attempts to build one, but everybody who'se tried either can only produce 64-bit executables (currenty, Chickens has issues when compield as a 64-bit app), or cannot produce a statically linked binary. Nils Fagerburg has managed to produce a dynamically linked binary that only runs on Ubuntu Linux.

AE.

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I'll just draw the boards as separate images without any paint or nails on them as that will keep us all options open and so we can decide later how the text will be applied and how the menu will work.

Andrei said:

OK. I'll try and add a summary of important changes, but I think it's a good idea to list everything else as well so you know what's changed. Also, remember that the important things for an Artist may not be important for a Musician (eg. the ability to tweak a certain colour) and vice versa.

Do you think we need just one mailing-list ('chickens-devel'), or would a separate list for announcements ('chickens-announce') be useful too?

Good point. I'd say a developer mailinglist will be sufficient. For public announcements we can always go and spam the boards. That being said, I don't think I'll have time the next few days to do anything, will be busy hanging out with the family and friends.590877

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

Merry Christmas everyone! :D
Please remember to mail me when you set things up. :)

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

OK.

I've created a new YahooGroup for the Chickens developpers - chickens-devel - http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/chickens-devel/

I've sent out an invite to those who've been involved so far. I've tried to remember everyone, but apologies to anyone I may have forgotten. Of course, anyone who wants to be part of the development process or keep up with the progress of Chickens may subscribe.

Hopefully, all discussion about the development of Chickens will be moved to the new group, and this thread can come to it's natural end.

AE.

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Help. :\
For no apparant reason, I can't join the group. After registering a yahoo ID, I click join group and then it keeps asking for my password, redirects, asks for password again and never gets anywhere. I'm using Mozilla, got cookies enabled and my yahoo ID is also activated.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I am not going to read this whole thread, but...

Quote:

I could implement speed-change buttons.

I want to be able to click on the game speed bar to set the game speed, rather than simply increment/decrement it.

[append]
Oh, other than that, the first few levels have been good. Nice game!

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Dennis: Have you tried subscribing by e-mail?

CGamesPlay: Nice idea. I'll bear that in mind when implementing the in-game GUI.

AE.

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I have now written two emails to [edit: address removed to prevent spamming], one with subscribe in the topic and one with an empty topic. Haven't received an answer yet.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

YahooGroups are retarded. Use a real mailing list, or google groups.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Got a reply from yahoo now and am now waiting for the moderator of the group(that's you Andrei) to accept my joining of the list.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Just got your request, and you've been approved. In fact, while writing this, got another mail to confirm your approval.

AE.

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Yay, this thread may now retire.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

At last, Chickens now has a statically linked 32-bit Linux Binary. This should theoretically work on any x86-based machine under any Linux distribution. It can be found in the Chickens depot page. It currently only works if the executable ('chickens') is started from the console.

Thanks go to Frank Drebin for succeeding where many others have failed. Frank's efforts inspired me to download a Knoppix DVD and test it myself, and I got the binary to work :D

AE.

--

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

YahooGroups are retarded.

Yahoo is retarded full stop.

1   2   3 

Go to: