Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » My campaign...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
My campaign...
Mr. Big
Member #6,196
September 2005

Brilliant programs for Linux?
You can't develop a brilliant program for an OS that doesn't support half of your computer's hardware and has no vendor support.
And even if you do, what on makes you think people will switch to Linux just for that?
You think they'll give up everything just to use your program?
And where's the proof that your program is really that good?
Not going to happen.
And best for last, brilliant programs are developed by brilliant companies (or people), who are too brilliant to give up 90% of their profit for a futile try to promote Linux.

[EDIT]

No vendor support is a valid reason not to use Linux, Evert.
The fact that most of my favorite programs won't work on it is a valid reason as well.
The fact that switching takes alot of time with little to no reward is a valid reason as well.

[EDIT]
Oh, we were talking about objective and subjective reasons.
Well, since there are no objective reasons, we'll have to count the subjective ones.

[EDIT]

The only things that can save Linux are cross-platformability and projects such as the one in my highschool, if you read my first post in this thread.
So get real.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

You can't develop a brilliant program for an OS that doesn't support half of your computer's hardware and has no vendor support.

Luckilly we don't live in an age where you need to develop for specific hardware (aside from working around driver bugs). Just pick your API, and use it. OpenGL is supported and accelerated on Linux, Windows, and Mac, so you don't lose anything there. OpenAL is supported on Linux, Windows, and Mac, and is accelerated on at least Windows, so you don't lose much there either. There's plenty of cross-platform wrapper libs for input, networking, and audio input, so you don't lose anything there either.

There's no problem developing on/for Linux, as long as you don't use closed, proprietary APIs.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Here's one of my adventures in a nutshell (true story):

I was hired by one company to evaluate the possibility of migrating from MS Office to Star-/OpenOffice. My verdict was "not recommended", and the company stayed with MS Office. 8-)

Mr. Big
Member #6,196
September 2005

Kitty Cat, START READING THE POSTS!
An application developed using cross-platform APIs is not Linux-only, is it?
Stop your random rants.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I've noticed that whenever anyone mentions good games for linux, they invariably only ever mention FPS games. Are there any decent (ie. polished, reasonably bug-free) RTS or RPG games? The reason being that I absolutely hate the FPS genre.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Kitty Cat said:

[quote I]Even if we pretend that one single user more is going to count (it won't), the fact is that there is nothing to gain for me.

As I pointed out, the more people that use it, the more other people will as well. It's not just you, if you can convince other people to (oh, but wait.. saying any OS is awesome other than Windows is just zealousness*). * Not directed at you, just seems to be a general attitude amo ng die-hard Windows users.

And there is a benefit for you, as it will encourage fair competition, which will encourage better OSs, which will encourage better hardware to take advante of the improved OSs, etc.. all the while, having prices fall as it will actually be a deciding factor for some people. Unless you don't think better, cheaper OSs, with better, cheaper hardware, isn't something of a gain for you. :P
</quote>
Those are not causal relations. ::)
And even if it were, it would be some kind of weird inverse tragedy of the commons scenario - I would still reap a slightly decreased benefit while experiencing none of the inconveniences of switching now.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

LennyLen: Look up Warzone 2100 because I think that it's now free.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

No vendor support is a valid reason not to use Linux, Evert.

Reread what I said above. Linux is used extensively in academia and it most definately is supported. Now, if you want to modify no support to less support, we can talk. But then, buying compatible hardware in the first place isn't that hard.

Quote:

The fact that most of my favorite programs won't work on it is a valid reason as well.

Yes, but it's hardly an objective reason, is it?

Quote:

The only things that can save Linux

'save'? From what?

Quote:

My verdict was "not recommended"

Fair enough. I just hope you actually did some fair comparison and backed it up?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

LennyLen: Look up Warzone 2100 because I think that it's now free.

Looks interesting (perhaps I'll download the Windows version ;) ).

I do intend to return to university to finish my COSC degree when I've saved up enough money to be able to study without needing to work part-time (I don't want to extend my already huge student loan). At that point, I'll probably install linux again. Hopefully there will be more RTS and RPG games available for it then (not that I should be playing them of course).

Mr. Big
Member #6,196
September 2005

Evert, I'm aware of the fact that it's used in academia.
But that doesn't make it better nor much more popular.
And why would people bother buying compatible hardware?
They already have Windows and Linux has many other issues.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

It can be. If I develop a program using open, cross-platform APIs, then only release a Linux binary, it won't run on Windows, will it? Just like people can develop a program using open, cross-platform APIs, then only release a Windows binary. And please stop yelling, there's no need for it.

Quote:

Those are not causal relations. ::)

Perhaps not, but it's a very likely progression. Do you honestly think Windows wouldn't be any better if it had real competition through the late 90s to today? Microsoft wouldn't go "oh wow, they're doing some interesting things, and poeple are buying into it. but we don't need it, so don't worry about it."

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Mr. Big
Member #6,196
September 2005

I wasn't yelling.
I was emphasizing. :)
I agree with your point about progression, though.
That's why I said I hate Microsoft's monopoly.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

games. Are there any decent (ie. polished, reasonably bug-free) RTS or RPG games?

Good? Probably. Bug free and poished? Not exactly :)
http://www.openttd.org/ <- not exactly RTS but somewhat close
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/

[edit]

Quote:

Why should anyone write platform-specific programs using cross-platform API's?

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

Fair enough. I just hope you actually did some fair comparison and backed it up?

Yeah, actually, I did - I tested quite a number of files for interoperability issues, studied other MSO->OO cases worldwide and wrote a 'proper' document with pros and cons, with sources mentioned where practical experience and testing was not at play. In my opinion I gave it a fair chance, and besides - I take work seriously and try hard to be as neutral as possible/not to let my own preferences come into play.

Don't worry, I didn't give it a "no" just to piss on OSS' feet. ;) OO has some good points to it, but in this case, the cons outweighed the pros. I'm not saying that OO can't replace MSO, but it's definitely not a suitable replacement everywhere.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Ever heard that women has to do things twice as good as men to be seen as equals?

Well, that's the situation Linux is in. To make people switch, linux has to become so awesome that it's irresistable.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Why should anyone write platform-specific programs using cross-platform API's?

I dunno, I think it's pretty stupid myself. I was just playing devil's advocate. :) I would, however, equate it to using platform-specific APIs with cross-platform hardware.

--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

And why would people bother buying compatible hardware?

Eh... well, to have it actually work?

Quote:

They already have Windows and Linux has many other issues.

If by other issues you mean `works differently from Windows', that's not an issue. If by issue you mean `not all hardware works', we've been there.

Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again (not to anyone in particular): use whichever system you prefer, for whichever reason you prefer it. Telling people that you will not use system X `because it just sucks (TM)' is both stupid and insulting. Telling people that they should switch to $some_system because of $random_reason is increadibly annoying. Both are flamebait.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

To make people switch, linux has to become so awesome that it's irresistable.

Similar to OSX?
;)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

That looks promising. It's a shame that it requires Total Annihilation to run it. (I also only have the minimum specs needed to run it, and I've played a few games that say they run on a GeForce 4 MX that don't).

Mr. Big
Member #6,196
September 2005

There's absolutely nothing about Linux that makes it a better choice than Windows for most users in the first place.
And trying to make Windows users switch to Linux is absolutely ridiculous.
This conversation futile.
Have a nice day.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

There's absolutely nothing about Linux that makes it a better choice than Windows for most users in the first place.

Price?

For some people the price of Windows is a months salary, you know

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

I'm guessing it'll be at least 5-10 years before linux is a viable competitor (in the desktop market).

edit: If $140 is a month's salary, you shouldn't be using computers. =P

Marcello

Mr. Big
Member #6,196
September 2005

Good point, Hoho.
I get all my software for free, so I haven't thought of that.
You must admit that you're exaggerating a bit, though.
Anyway, your point makes it 200 times more ridiculous to try make Windows users switch to Linux.

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Let's step away from the Linux/Windows problem and concentrate a little on psychology. First of all, people dislike change. If something is already in place and it works, we aare unlikely to change it, unless something exists to outweigh this dislike.

So, in order to make somebody switch systems, whether it will be a Linux->Windows, Windows->Mac, or whichever possible combination, you have to offer positive incentive for me to switch. It is not even sufficient if there are no drawbacks. Even if I could do everything on Linux just as well as I can on Windows, I will ask about something that Linux does better for me - not just as good, better. There has to be some advantage that effectively makes it plausible to switch, and many can be named, for example:

- better shell, established toolchains
- better customizability, more options to choose from almost in any regard
- increased security
- running servers is just easier, and there is more too choose from
- it's free

However, none of those apply to me. I'm already using a linux shell and many development tools like gcc, sed, make and so forth. I found that the main reason for me using Linux's customizability was to make it more like Windows. I don't need increased security - the one time I stumbled on a virus on Windows, I was able to take care of it myself, without using any antivirus software. I don't run any servers, except for an Apache/MySQL/Mercury/Filezilla setup that I use for developing web pages/applications - and that is a localhost sandbox. Linux being free also doesn't concern me much: I can afford one copy of Windows per several years, and now I don't even have to. As an IT student I get them for free through the MS Academic Alliance thing.

See, I have yet to find a definitive reason to make the jump. I would be able to bear with the drawbacks, if I had found something to make up for them. I have yet to find that unique advantage.

I also don't believe that I should make the switch because of the "cause" that is behind it. Even if we (meaning the people) could get Linux to have a significant market share, this would be quickly recognized by companies. This would quickly end up in a situation where game and application developing companies would make deals with Linux-based OS dealers (say, Redhat or whomever), ensuring that their programs work properly only on paid-for versions of Linux. Or, they'll find some other way to make them pay. An OS with 30% market share is just to juicy a target to leave it alone.

Still, even if that threat wasn't present, I don't believe that fighting for Linux is worth a crusade to make it more popular. I'm certainly more concerned about my own comfort of using the computer than about some OS having dominance over the other.

I'm all for developing cross-platform applications. In my opinion, a better solution is to write everything in a way that makes the discussion irrelevant. There are many portable APIs for everything, these are just examples: OpenGL for graphics, FMOD or OpenAL for sound, SDL for generic gaming stuff, Qt or wxWindows for GUI. Actually, most of the free libraries I known of are portable at least to Linux and Windows, and many of them are written in a way that makes porting them to different systems sufficiently straight-forward.

I always try to make my apps run on every plausible platform, and I believe this is the only plausible solution for sealing the Windows/Linux divide. We should try to convince companies to develop portable applications, so that everyone can get what they want on the system they like, not convince users to switch systems.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Quote:

f by other issues you mean `works differently from Windows', that's not an issue.

In many ways it is. Windows' UI has evolved over the years to be the sum total of all (ok 95%) of user's preferences.

The 'Killer App' for me is still MSVS and the lovely debugger. When Kdevelop finds a way of working that nicely with gdb (or another debugger. disassemblers aren't hard to write) then I'm not likely to boot Windows anymore except for testing.

Go to: