Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I'll fly to Amsterdam...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
I'll fly to Amsterdam...
FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Yep, i'll take a small vacation, from the 25th to the 29th of March :)

Any specific places i should see? Any particular precautions i should take?
More importantly, is there the chance to make a mini allegro-con with a fellow member?

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

When I went to Amsterdam a few years ago, I managed to wander through the red light district without noticing anything to do with sex, I went past many cafe's without noticing any drugs. They were there, I was just blind. :o

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

They were there, I was just blind. :o

Was your blindness caused from the drugs? ;)

Have fun!

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Nope, though I did get some novelty sunglasses which had a green holographic smiley in each lens. They drew some stares. :D

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Quote:

More importantly, is there the chance to make a mini allegro-con with a fellow member?

I have to check my agenda, but good idea in principle. It's been a while since I visited the capital.

edit: edited

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I have a workshop to attend to at the same time, so I probably don't have time to meet up with anyone (although the workshop is in Amsterdam - which reminds me, I still need to prepare for the workshop). I may be able to squeeze something in on the 26th, but no promises. Remind me a couple of days in advance.

Quote:

Any specific places i should see?

Depends on what you like to see. What I can recommend you to do is take a boat tour. You'll get a very quick overview of the city and a general idea on where you might go.

Quote:

Any particular precautions i should take?

As anywhere, beware of pick-pockets. Check in advance when the last trams leave from any particular location (usually around midnight) and where the night bus stops are.
Above all, make sure you don't wander over the cycling lines. Most cyclers here (myself included) are so fed up with tourists who don't realise that they're on a cycling lane that they simply ignore the fact that they're there and run them down.

As for coffeeshops, do as you like with those, but if you decide to go there, make sure you don't end up taking enough drugs for a lifetime in one shot, as some of the tourists (especially British tourists) seem to do.

Marco Radaelli
Member #3,028
December 2002

Quote:

Yep, i'll take a small vacation, from the 25th to the 29th of March :)

Woo, congrats :)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Richard said:

They were there, I was just blind.

http://www.moviepostershop.com/item_img/hum201.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I've just booked at the Vondel Park Plaza hotel, it should be quite near the city center... does anybody know it?

Having a boat trip seems like a nice idea, and as for coffee shops i'll surely visit them, more for curiosity than anything else (i don't even smoke normal cigarettes :P).

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I've just booked at the Vondel Park Plaza hotel, it should be quite near the city center... does anybody know it?

I don't know the hotel, but a hotel at that location sounds like it would be expensive...
Near to the centre is a relative term. It's about half way from where I live (which is fairly close to the outskirts of the city) to the centre, which isn't too bad, and you can probably cut through the park, which can be quite nice (but I don't recommend it at night if you're alone). Tram connections from there to the centre should be very good, but I don't know about the night bus. Then again, it shouldn't be more than half an hour walk from there.

Quote:

as for coffee shops i'll surely visit them, more for curiosity than anything else (i don't even smoke normal cigarettes :P).

It's not a prerequisite; I know people who smoke (or smoked) weed but have never smoked tobacco. As pubs go, Coffeeshops aren't great. The smell is rather nauseating if you don't like it.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Mmm... An allegro-meetup in Amsterdam. Give me a shout if something gets organised...

Anyway, here is another thread about visiting Amsterdam.

Evert said:

I know people who smoke (or smoked) weed but have never smoked tobacco.

I've also known non-smokers who first smoked weed, and then started smoking ordinary cigarettes.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I can make it. Somebody (more knowledgeable about Amsterdam than me) pick a nice quiet pub to meet and have a few drinks. Saturday 25 would be most convenient for me.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Thanks for all the information

Saturday 25th would be good for me, i'd also get the chance to know Amsterdam a little better. :)
Who can leave me his cellular phone number (by PM), so i can contact him in case i have problems reaching the pub?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I knew about the red light area in Amsterdam, but I had a great laugh, when I saw a hotel named "Multatuli". Forgive me, all Dutchmen here, but it is a bit bizarre. It is Finnish and it means... well... :-[ :P

"I ejaculated"

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

In dutch it means nothing. In latin, multatuli means something like "he who suffered a lot"

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Well, I usually don't suffer...

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I knew about the red light area in Amsterdam, but I had a great laugh, when I saw a hotel named "Multatuli".

Multatuli is Latin for `I have had much to bear'. It is the pseudonym of an important and famous Dutch writer (his real name is Eduard Douwes Dekker). He wrote Max Havelaar, a name which is now used by fair-trade organisations to indicate that the farmers who grew the product (typically beans, bananas and things like that) received a fair price for it.

As for a meeting on the 25th, I can probably make it, but I'll have to double check.
What sort of place are we going for? There is an Irish pub that I rather like that should be fairly easy to find, but we can also meet somewhere (Leidseplein, say) and decide where to go from there.

casey d
Member #4,901
August 2004

Van Gogh has a museum there, if you're into that sort of thing.

--
Nightsticks, water cannons, tear gas, padlocks, molotov cocktails and rocks behind every curtain

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Evert: I have no preference, let's go to that Irish pub. Where can we find it?

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Van Gogh has a museum there, if you're into that sort of thing.

It's hideously expensive though.

The Irish pub I was thinking of is on the Rokin and they very conveniently have a website: http://www.thetara.com/index.php?page=location
What do we do for the time and how to we recognise oneanother?

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Well Van Gogh is one of my favourite artists so if it isn't that much expensive i'll gladly see it.

As for the time: 9:30 - 10:00p.m.? Too soon, too late?
To recognise ourselves i say we could carry something like a piece of paper with ALLEGRO written on, or something like that :P

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

How about tinfoil hats?

I'd prefer a bit earlier, or I'll just sit around, waiting. Maybe 19.00?

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Our plane arrives at 19:45, the best i can do (after leaving luggage at the hotel) is 21:00 :-/

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Ok, that is a good reason :p. So 21.30 then.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Count me in!

Evert said:

The Irish pub I was thinking of is on the Rokin and they very conveniently have a website: http://www.thetara.com/index.php?page=location

Seems like a good plan. If things get a bit too loud, we can always go outside and wander around.

Evert said:

how to we recognise oneanother?

I'll probably wear a dark-blue T-shirt with a big Atari logo on it. Also, bear in mind that my hair is currently somewhat shorter than the picture on my a.cc profile-page.

amarillion said:

So 21.30 then

That's fine with me.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

1   2 

Go to: