Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Amsterdam, here I come!

Credits go to Evert for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Amsterdam, here I come!
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Now wasn't that like lyrics from a song? No? Ok, maybe I just forget the song.
Anyway, I'm going to Amsterdam after three weeks. Just for two nights, with my wife. Thought of checking out some van Gogh and Rembrandt. And hopefully some other renaissance masters. Any other suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I think when the typical person from the US hera's 'amsterdam' they think of two things; smoking marijuana legally and prostitution. 'Rembrandt? Thats a tooth paste!?!'

khristina yer
Member #5,795
May 2005

Can't you also get mushrooms?

da_flo
Member #1,907
February 2002

Have a nice time in the coffee shops. ;)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Any other suggestions?

We can have an Allegro convention. ;D

Quote:

Thought of checking out some van Gogh and Rembrandt. And hopefully some other renaissance masters.

They're giving the Rijksmuseum (where all the Rembrandts are) a big makeover; only one or two wings of the museum are open where some of the top pieces of the collection are on display and some seldom-seen `treasures' from the depot. They still charge you the full tariff (9 euros, if I remember correctly; I get in for half) though, so beware. The van Gogh is pretty expensive too (10 euros; again, I get in for half that).

What are you interested in seeing? Everyone wants to see the house where Anne Frank lived and take a cruise on the canals, so if you want to do the touristy thing, you can do that too. Personally, I'd recommend walking around for a bit; if it's not raining that can be very pleasant. I don't know if the Dam Palace and the New Church are open for public this time of year (the New Church probably is, it's used for exhibitions most of the time and service only when there's some special occasion). The Botanic Gardens are nice, I think, but I haven't been inside for years.
The Concert Building is a good place to visit too (to listen to a concert, obviously) if you like classical music and have the time to visit.
Oh: there's a new museum, or actually, the annex of a well-known museum: the Hermitage. It's on the right bank of the river. They're still setting it up and I don't think they have a permanent collection yet, but it may still be worth a visit.
There was something else I was going to recommend, but I don't remember what it was. I'll let you know if I think of it. Anyway, have fun and watch out for cyclers (don't walk on cycle lanes; all tourists do it and cyclers have lost their patience with tourists and will generally steer to kill).

OT:

Quote:

smoking marijuana legally and prostitution.

I never understood the obsession with either. I mean, there are more prostitutes on the border between Germany and Poland than there are in Amsterdam and marijuana is filthy anyway, but it doesn't cause any problems generally - except for the stupid tourists who go to Amsterdam once in their lives and feel that they need to get stuffed on it.

Quote:

Can't you also get mushrooms?

Of course you can.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Thanks, Evert. Good to know about the Rijksmuseum. We might go there nevertheless. I also thought of checking out a concert, but I'm not sure. As a teacher I always ask for discount at museums. Usually it pays off.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

We went to the Madam Tusseuds museum (yep, can't spell it) which had some interesting stuff on the painting traditions of the Netherlands. :)

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Quote:

Now wasn't that like lyrics from a song? No?

Eppu Normaali - Vuonna '85 said:

Ei lopu täältä polle, ei amfetamiini
Täältä kukkaloistosta Amsterdamin

Not far. And speed was mentioned, too. :)

You don't deserve my sig.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

One museum worth checking out is the Stedelijk Museum. It's been ages since I went there, but I really enjoyed some of the more unusual modern-art exhibits. The museum is currently undergoing renovation and the exhibits are housed in a temporary location. Check the website for details.

Also worth seeing is the Leidseplein - a square on the edge of the central city. There's often street entertainers in the square during the day, and it's a great place to sit outside and have a drink. Nearby is the Vondelpark - a park that's nice to walk around, although in three weeks time I suspect the weather will involve a lot of rain.

Evert said:

Quote:
>Any other suggestions?
We can have an Allegro convention. ;D

Good idea.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

In case you want to Amsterdam at its best, take a walk around the city centre in the early morning, when most tourists are still asleep and the souvenir shops have yet to open. IMO Tussaud's isn't really worth the visit; the original Tussauds's (in London) is much better, and also features celebrities you might actually know.
The Van Gogh Museum is really good, provided you avoid the peak hours.
As far as music goes, apart from Concertgebouw, there are lots of clubs, among which (IMHO) "Paradiso" and "Melkweg" are the best. And there's the "Bimhuis", of course, once the famous breeding-place for experimental jazz music, now a renowned jazz club.
Oh yeah, like in all tourist cities, look out for pick-pockets. In Amsterdam, this has become so much of a problem that Australian authorities advise their citizens not to visit the Netherlands because of this. But if you're not too stupid and try not to look too much like a tourist, you should be fine.
And look out for pigeons, another famous plague. They are said to steal food from your hands...

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

And look out for pigeons, another famous plague.

I'm used to them

And thanks Andrei and Tobias for the tips. "Melkweg", that must be the Milky Way! Yay!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Hmmmm... Allegro convention at the leidse plein, three weeks from now?

(I'm still supposed to organize an allegro convention some day..., that's what I promised evert)

Torbjörn Josefsson
Member #1,048
September 2000

Try the Wickse Witte (or whatever) beer - it's really good :)

--
Specialization is for insects

Go to: