Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Arrrggghhh!!!!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Arrrggghhh!!!!
manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

boohoo christians are evil!

Big fucking boohoo. Get off your arse and start your own religion.

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Or join Spaghetti Monsterism, like I did. Seriously, the existence of the Spaghetti Monster is self evident, so you have no reason to doubt him.

[edit]

Okay, this is really a troll post. Please ignore me.

-R

Todd Cope
Member #998
November 2000

Quote:

Um... I was trying to point out what you were saying... are you agreeing with me or did I completely fail in my attempt to communicate.

Ahh, yes, I see it now. Sorry Winston, The first part of the paragraph threw me off. I don't agree with the statement about creationists believing God created all species as-is with no room for change. This may have existed in the past but modern creationism does not say that at all. ID and creationists are on the same page in that regard. I still don't understand what you meant when you said, "the straw-man creationist."

Creationism and ID are not the same, though. I guess the main difference is the ID people leave the question of who God is open while the creationists go with the God of the Bible. Technically, they could both be considered creationist since they both assert that everything was created on purpose by someone but I think the ID people steer clear of that label because it has a certain stigma to it. The scientific community sees it as Christians trying to sneak their religion into school.

Why are they teaching about origins in school anyway? Couldn't they just drop it. Yes, we know natural selection is true. We know mutations happen to diseases which make new strains. Whether or not these mechanisms are sufficient to give rise to life as we know it is virtually irrelevant to real-world scientific studies.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Scholar Bob would be killed instantly for messing with the Torah like that. :P

They neglected to kill the people who made the translation errors in the original Hebrew->Greek translation though.

Quote:

But in the ancient Hebrew, I believe the word for "day" and "age" are roughly equivalent.

Even setting that aside, what is a day to god? Couldn't an age be like a day to god? Isn't it plain hubris to assume that a `day' has to be what we humans call a day?

Quote:

And you cannot just deny one part of the bible and expect the rest to remain intact. If evolution occoured, then there was death before the fall which goes against the statements made by Paul in the new testament.

Yes, and there are no other contradictions in the bible. Let alone contradictions between the old and new testaments.

Quote:

I think there is a popular misunderstanding of faith. The point isn't that you are taking a wild leap in the unknown.

I think faith is commonly defined as a belief in something without asking for rational proof. That's certainly what it means to me.
(Note: this is not meant as a moral judgement on the subject of faith, simply on the meaning of the word).

Quote:

Paul states that "the existence of God is self-evident leaving men without an excuse." In other words, there is no possible way to deny that God exists.

To me, it's perfectly clear that no such thing as a god can and does exist. I see no falsifiable, scientific evidence to assume otherwise.
So clearly, it is possible.

Anyway, I don't think this was about the existence or non-existence of god or wether the bible should be taken verbatim. It was about the merits of intelligent design as a scientific theory and as I said, I don't think there's any evidence for it.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Yup. Evidence only goes so far, and faith makes up the difference. But if you have no evidence at all, how can you have faith?

That's where logic comes in. People have faith that the world was created by God, yet there is no evidence to suggest that (and no, just because we don't know/understand something doesn't give evidence to God, whether or not he exists). Personal experience doesn't count as scientific evidence, so you have to form a logical opinion based on your personal experiences and base your faith on that.

You can have faith with no evidence. In fact, that's the only way you can get the purest form of faith. But it would be insane to have faith without a logical reason.

Quote:

Which is what many monotheistic religions believe( at least Christianity I am sure about).. God DIRECTLY spoke to a human who than wrote it down.

Nah. AFAIK, it 's known that the events in the Bible were passed on for a few generations via word-of-mouth before they were written down. In any sect, you'll have those that believe the Bible should be taken literally (usually among the extreme fundamentalists), or metaphorically.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Todd Cope
Member #998
November 2000

Their evidence is design itself. According to their own studies it is mathematically impossible for purely natural processes to account for all the design and the sheer amount of information in the genome. That is the whole point of ID.

On the issue of faith, faith in something that contradicts what you can clearly see with your own two eyes is just stupid. Faith and knowledge go hand-in-hand. I mean, how can you believe in something without at least some evidence. Also of note is Paul's definition of faith:

Quote:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

[begin ramble]
I think that faith completes knowledge. After all, we can only know so much and even within our own brain there can be contradictory beliefs. Faith in what we already know even without all the details allows us to act. Faith is strengthened through experience.

Also we need to consider what evidence is sufficent. For some it is sufficient to hear someone else say something is true for them to believe. Others need to find out for themselves. Still others only need someone to make a logical case.

Once you believe in something your actions and thoughts will be affected by it. The more you live with a belief, the harder it will be for someone to convince you that it is false because you've lived with it and interpreted your experiences in light of it. People have turning points in their lives when they look back at their life experiences and at what they believe and see that the two don't fit together.
[end ramble]

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Their evidence is design itself. According to their own studies it is mathematically impossible for purely natural processes to account for all the design and the sheer amount of information in the genome.

If their studies were scientifically valid, that would be one thing. But if they're not, it has to go under the same heading as personal experience (if not outright false, depending on what, exactly, they say).

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Todd Cope
Member #998
November 2000

Here's what's needed for a theory to be considered scientific:

ID theory is consitent at least as much so as macro-evolution theory

ID is parsimomious, macro-evolution is not

ID is as useful as macro-evolution (not very in scientific studies)

ID is not testable or falsifiable and neither is macro-evolution

Not sure about the experiments thing

ID is correctable and I suppose macro-evolution is, too

Neither or both are progressive depending on how you look at it

Neither are tentative

Wetimer
    Member #1,622
    November 2001

To clarify something, a straw-man argument is a weak-version of the real argument which is easily demolished in order to lend support to the other side of the debate. So, when I refered to straw-man creationists, I was refering to the common weakend perception of there views.

Actually, I'm finding this funny. In all this dicussion people have been constantly claiming that ID has no evidence, but we have yet to see any dicussion of the evidence that ID at least claims that is has.

<code>if(Windows.State = Crash) Computer.halt();</code>

Todd Cope
    Member #998
    November 2000

Quote:

To clarify something, a straw-man argument is a weak-version of the real argument which is easily demolished in order to lend support to the other side of the debate. So, when I refered to straw-man creationists, I was refering to the common weakend perception of there views.

Yep. This also seems to be in the realm of argument immunization which was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I checked on Wikipedia to see what they had about ID. By reading that article you get the impression that real science has proven that ID is false. If you actually read any ID papers you will get a different impression. This paper (cited at the bottom of the Wikipedia article) goes into detail about one of the core evidences of ID, irreducible complexity.

Evert
    Member #794
    November 2000

Quote:

If you actually read any ID papers you will get a different impression. This paper (cited at the bottom of the Wikipedia article) goes into detail about one of the core evidences of ID, irreducible complexity.

It's too late for me to read a 45-page article, but I will comment on the idea of irreducible complexity.

First I'll repeat (again) what I think the main hypothesis of ID is: that natural selection alone is insufficient to explain the properties and diversity of species we observe. If this premise is false, then there is no backing for ID whatsoever.
    And when it comes to debunking irreducible complexity, that's what many scientists have done for various examples (see also references in the article or examples in Dawkin's Blind Watchmaker).

At the danger of being repetitive, I'll take the eye again since it's the example I'm most familiar with. It shows the basic structure of the argument anyway.
    Thesis: The eye is an example of irreducible complexity. This means that if you remove any part from the eye, it becomes useless so that an eye could only evolve if all its parts evolved simultaneously - the chance of which is zero.
    Counter argument: The core of the argument is `if you remove any part from it, an eye becomes useless'. The flaw in this reasoning is obvious, but I'll make the point anyway. Is an eye useless if you remove, say, the lens? No, it isn't - it just works less well than it does if it did have a lens, but it still works. Nautilus doesn't have lenses in its eyes, although it's eyes are quite sophisticated otherwise. What about removing the retina? Well, that would make it pretty pointless indeed. So you cannot remove any arbitrary part, but you can deconstruct an eye, part by part, and keep something that works (albeit less well) after each step, at the last shrinking the retina and optical nerve until they're gone and you have no eye left.
    Reversing the argument and question: what use is having half an eye? The stock-ID answer is `none' - which should really be none if everyone else has normal eyes. However, if you have half an eye and everyone else has no eye at all, then you clearly have an edge.

I can see the same argument being repeated across different biological systems: intelligent-designer A comes up with irreducibly complex system B, which Darwinist C shows can be decomposed into B1, B2, B3, ... smaller steps, at which point a new irreducibly complex system is proposed, which is again reduced and so on and forth ad infinitum, or until either side grows weary of the argument or a truely irreducibly system is found that cannot be explained by other means.

Now, this is certainly useful and I think it's good for our understanding of complex systems to think about ways to decompose them into simpler systems while maintaining a working system. But if it's one of the `pillars' on which ID is to be scientifically founded, it's on shaky ground.

Karadoc ~~
    Member #2,749
    September 2002

Todd Cope, you have said that evolution is not testable or falsifiable, and that it is not useful in scientific studies. This tells me that you just don't know enough about evolution. Scientific theories aren't always easy. If you are having troubling understanding how they work or what they say, that doesn't mean that they are no good. You may not know how evolution is useful, but experts on biology do know. You can't just pick up scraps of information from here and there and then say that evolution is hopeless.

Look at all the things science has done for you. Look at the modern world. The technology, the medicine, even in art science has done great things. Why are you people willing to turn around and fight against this? You are biting the hand that feeds you. Evolution can be left out of this argument entirely; the point is that the advocates of 'Intelligent Design' are trying to destroy science! I've sure you've all heard about the wedge strategy. These people are trying to put a stop to human progress in understanding the world, all because it disagrees with their belief system. ID isn't some new controversial scientific theory, it is a brutal assault on science itself, lead by creationists to defend their dieing faith. Why would you want to support these fanatics?? If you can't tell if ID is science or not, then listen to the scientists all over the world: it's not.

-----------

Wetimer
    Member #1,622
    November 2001

Karadoc,

Thats just an attack on Todd Copp and everyone else who holds to ID. Appealing to authorities does not prove your point. Calling people stupid fanatics doesn't prove your point. If Evolution is falsiable, demonstrate it.

Karadoc ~~
    Member #2,749
    September 2002

That second paragraph was aimed at everybody, not at Todd in particular

I'm not going to even try to explain to you the finer points of evolution. Partially because I wouldn't trust myself to do it justice, and partially because it's beside the point. Evolution has been recongised as a scientific theory for a long time now. The 'new' kid of the block is ID, he should be the one under attack. And I say 'new', because this is just creationism wearing a thin veil. Creationism was never considered to be science, always religion. And what I said about ID being an attack designed to derail science was no exaggeration. It's really scary that so many people have fallen into the circle of propaganda.

-----------

Todd Cope
    Member #998
    November 2000

Quote:

Look at all the things science has done for you.

I look at all the things science has done for me and see that macroevolution theories play no part in the actual science that led to any discovery that is found useful in practice.

Quote:

the point is that the advocates of 'Intelligent Design' are trying to destroy science!

This is completely false. ID does no harm to actual scientific studies that relate to real-world problems. ID accepts natural selection, mutations, and whatever else can be observed and duplicated in the lab and seen in the real world.

Quote:

The core of the argument is `if you remove any part from it, an eye becomes useless'.

This is not actually how the argument goes. The real core of the argument is there exists no purely evolutionary mechanism which can account for the progressive steps that could possibly lead to the complex structure of the eye from a simpler form. This simply has not been shown to be possible in the purely evolutionary naturalistic setting.

Quote:

It's really scary that so many people have fallen into the circle of propaganda.

And you can prove this is propaganda? This is an unsubstantiated claim.

Karadoc ~~
    Member #2,749
    September 2002

Quote:

This is completely false. ID does no harm to actual scientific studies that relate to real-world problems. ID accepts natural selection, mutations, and whatever else can be observed and duplicated in the lab and seen in the real world.

Have you not heard about the wedge? What I said is true.

Quote:

This is not actually how the argument goes. The real core of the argument is there exists no purely evolutionary mechanism which can account for the progressive steps that could possibly lead to the complex structure of the eye from a simpler form. This simply has not been shown to be possible in the purely evolutionary naturalistic setting.

There have been proposed many possible paths leading to the eye and other complex organs using only evolution sized steps.

-----------

Todd Cope
    Member #998
    November 2000

Quote:

There have been proposed many possible paths leading to the eye and other complex organs using only evolution sized steps.

Give them to me in complete detail and I'll consider it.

Edit:

Quote:

Have you not heard about the wedge? What I said is true.

Nothing in that document suggests that what I stated is wrong or that you are right. They simply are saying that materialism has been a total detriment to the advancement of society. ID does not want to destroy science but simply to separate real science from fantasy.

Wetimer
    Member #1,622
    November 2001

Irreducible Complexity:

There are a couple of ways this term is used. When used by many people it refers to a system for which there is known natural explanation for its evolution. The definition of Behe is much narrower. Its a collection of parts which all required before the system can function at all. The eye can function without a lens, thus it does not fit under that category. Something such as the bacterial flaggelum does because we can see that the removal of any part of the flaggelum causes the complete and total failure of the flaggem.

Now Behe in his book didn't claim that proved it could not have evolved. Rather he suggested that it was possible that evolution might reach it indirectly. But that the more of such systems that were discovered the more problems Darwinian evolution had to face.

The Eye-Path:
    Let me see if google knows...

Ok, this appears to be Darwin's suggestion:
    1. photosensitive cell
    2. aggregates of pigment cells without a nerve
    3. an optic nerve surrounded by pigment cells and covered by translucent skin
    4. pigment cells forming a small depression
    5. pigment cells forming a deeper depression
    6. the skin over the depression taking a lens shape
    7. muscles allowing the lens to adjust

Or, look at this way:

Place(new PhotoSensitiveCell);

for(int x = 0;x < 5;x++)

for(int x = 0;x < 5;x++)
    AddNerve();

for(int x = 0;x < 5;x++)
    AddNerve();
    AddSkinCovering();

CreateDepression();
    for(int x = 0;x < 5;x++)
    AddNerve();
    AddSkinCovering();

CreateBigDepression();
    for(int x = 0;x < 5;x++)
    AddNerve();
    AddLens();

CreateBigDepression();
    for(int x = 0;x < 5;x++)
    AddNerve();
    AddLens();
    AddLensMuscle();

There, in beautiful C++ we have the evolution of the eye. And in such small steps as we might not complain about.

The problem is that I'm leaving out all kinds of stuff. I'm calling all these functions and haven't actually done anything to define them. If they consist of a single line of code, we might potentially be fine. However, in some cases they are clearly made up of many lines of code. While the steps may at each step be more benefical then the last, these steps are clearly not reasonable sized pieces.

Rampage
    Member #3,035
    December 2002

Quote:

Irreducible Complexity:

There are a couple of ways this term is used. When used by many people it refers to a system for which there is known natural explanation for its evolution. The definition of Behe is much narrower. Its a collection of parts which all required before the system can function at all.

This definition of irreducible complexity, when applied to a model of our world, would mean that the extinction of a species would destroy everything else. But, since we have destroyed lots of species and we're still here, that's clearly not true.

Having a valid Deus Ex Machina to solve everything we can not explain properly (yet) is an easy escape for the lazy.

-R

Todd Cope
    Member #998
    November 2000

The model of our world is not relevant because we are talking specifically about biology. This definition is not meant to encompass any system, only biological ones.

Quote:

Having a valid Deus Ex Machina to solve everything we can not explain properly (yet) is an easy escape for the lazy.

This statement shows the existence of an axiom that controls how things are studied--we cannot explain things in purely evolutionary terms right now but some day in the future we will be able to because we know that only naturalistic processes can account for everything. This automatically excludes the possibility of intelligent intervention meaning you are not open to that possibility.

Edit:

Quote:

The problem is that I'm leaving out all kinds of stuff. I'm calling all these functions and haven't actually done anything to define them.

Yes, and the things that are left out are very important. The details that are glossed over (left out) are things that actual experimental data shows cannot be true or at best are mathematically impossible.

Rampage
    Member #3,035
    December 2002

Quote:

This automatically excludes the possibility of intelligent intervention meaning you are not open to that possibility.

Circular reasoning? "You don't believe in intelligent design because you don't want to believe in it"?

[edit]

Quote:

The model of our world is not relevant because we are talking specifically about biology. This definition is not meant to encompass any system, only biological ones.

How's "extinction of a species" not part of a biological system? ???

-R

Todd Cope
    Member #998
    November 2000

Quote:

Circular reasoning?

Nope. I'm merely suggesting that intelligent intervention is not allowed to be considered when trying to explain how things currently are. That is why they try so hard to find naturalistic explanations. But when naturalistic explanations cannot be found they merely push the problems into the future hoping that some day they will be solved instead of considering alternative explanations.

Quote:

How's "extinction of a species" not part of a biological system?

I may have misunderstood what you meant.

Quote:

Its a collection of parts which all required before the system can function at all.

This is in regards to biological systems such as blood clotting or the eye not the ecosystem.

Rampage
    Member #3,035
    December 2002

Quote:

instead of considering alternative explanations.

But then we're back to my point. If we consider intelligent design valid, then everytime we can't explain anything we must give up and say: "someone decided it should be like this, so we don't need to worry anymore". Newton did it when he couldn't explain why the orbits of planets are elliptical or something, but hundreds of years later, Einstein found a valid explanation, so let's not stop trying.

-R

Todd Cope
    Member #998
    November 2000

Yes, by all means don't stop trying to find the naturalistic explanations. I have not problems with these things being researched. I only have problems with the established "science" community promoting as facts things which have not been proven.

It irritates me when they teach people in school that people came from apes which came from lower animals when they can't actually scientifically prove it. They give a big picture and the many missing details make it unlikely to be true but we await further research to be sure. In the mean time let's go ahead and tell them it's true.

SonShadowCat
    Member #1,548
    September 2001

Quote:

I only have problems with the established "science" community promoting as facts things which have not been proven.

Then perhaps ID advocates should stop promoting it since there are NO facts backing it.

Go to: