Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Arrrggghhh!!!!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Arrrggghhh!!!!
Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Not Dog, God! She's not a dog.. or is.. :-X

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

Why can't both theories coexist? The world may have be created just 5 minutes ago! But how could you know that? The world could be created to have a history. You could've been created to think that you've existed for dozens of years.

Anyways, religions are always about belief. They aren't something you can prove or otherwise they wouldn't be a question of faith. Arguments between sciences and religion are always void.

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Yeah, yeah, evolution is wrong! It just stands to reason... Consider Newtons theory of gravity giving way to Einsteins theory of relativity, and now they have that superstring stuff. Science is constant refinement under the assault of new facts, ideas etc. BUT, the refinements are just "fine tuning" of the basic model. Einsteins theory didn't say apples would elevate themselves into space. So evolution is "wrong" if you have a boolean mind and 1 part incorrect as opposed to 99 parts correct makes it a lie. OTOH, the bible isn't updated according to new evidence, it's just reshuffled as the old versions language usage becomes to archaic to understand, and there is some cultural bias thrown in. Kind of like astrologers, ask them the chain of reasoning that lead them to conclude you will be financially successful this year based on the position of a planet projected against some stars.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

The world may have be created just 5 minutes ago!

Actually, it could also have been created half an hour from now.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Why can't both theories coexist?

Because theories for which there is no proof shouldn't be taught to children, or for that matter, anyone. If you do, you might as well add to the curriculum that Pink Unicorns rule the moon, or that a Flying Spaghetti Monster created the world... after all, they have about the same quality of evidence going for them, which surely must mean that they too should be taught in schools? :P

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

The US is causing worldwide problems in this area. We cannot allow religious fanatics to undo hundreds of years of scientific thinking. We should not allow this sort of nonsense to spred. People need to be taught what science is, not just what science says. Otherwise the lay person cannot tell the difference between the two sets of "facts" that the scientists and the fanatics are feeding them.

Quote:

The bible says that the universe was created by a higher being. The bible also says it is never wrong. Therefore the universe WAS created by a higher being. That's science. It takes solid evidence and uses logic to create a solid theory based on said evidence. Duh.

That's really not funny. There are people that actually believe what you just said. You should never even pretend to agree with these people. They are a horrible blight on society.

-----------

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Karadoc, you need to spend some quality time with YTMND.

This whole argument is dumb. It's just too hot of a topic to do anything with. They take their side, the others take theirs, and both are staying where they are. Not to mention the pure amount of garbage that has filled up what we believe to be "facts" as a result of both sides trying to push their arguments.
What's worse is how this conflict is infecting ... everything! But, I guess if it isn't this it'd be something else.

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

I thought this was a pretty good summary of my feelings:
http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/oese/theories8yd8gr.gif

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Quote:

Karadoc, you need to spend some quality time with YTMND.

I don't know what that means. "define:YTMND" on google tells me "You're the man now dog". I didn't look into it, but I don't think that's what you meant.

How about you just say what you mean. Do you disagree with what I said?
Or should I say:
How about you just SWYM. Do you DWWIS?

-----------

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

I'm sure this has been posted before: http://www.idrewthis.org/2005/gravity.html

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Just in case it's not clear, I'm 100% behind Karadoc here. Religion really is a blight on humanity, especially the people who do downright insane things like this. What is this, the middle ages? Where the hell were these people when we discovered science? Or common sense, for that matter?

I mean, seriously... what is more likely? A coherent theory based entirely on natural processes and piles upon piles of physical, observable evidence using modern techniques by thousands of modern scientists, or the absolutely unconfirmable words written down by a select group of people between 5000 and some 800 years ago who didn't even agree with each other and claims an unexplained beard in the sky did it?

Intelligent Design has exactly the same kind of backing behind it that the Pink Unicorn theory and the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory does; which is absolutely none. It is not based on anything resembling science, it has no scientific basis, and should not be taught as part of a science course, ever. Discuss it in social studies or religious studies or what have you all you want, along with the rest of them, but keep it out of my science classroom.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

For me, religion would seem to be within the realm of the household, not state-sponsored education. Your parents can beat you with the Jesus Stick(tm) all day long, but once you go to school you should be asked to deal with things that are... like... empirical, ya know?

The separation of church and state is a good thing.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Todd Cope
Member #998
November 2000

The real problem with the argument and why it doesn't get resolved is that how one views the evidence is largely affected by acceptance of certain axioms. Evolutionists assume that there can be no divine intervention so they interpret the evidence in that light. Creationists assume that God created everything in a certain way and they interpret the evidence in that light.

All ID is doing is trying to debunk (or at least open people up to challenging) Darwinism because they think that it is inadequate at explaining all the design in nature. They aren't aligning themselves with any particular God but simply asserting that some sort of intelligent force has acted in the past to create the bioligical systems that are in place today.

Really, one side is not going to convince the other side of anything. Both sides will only end up frustrated that their "opponent" cannot see the truth.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Quote:

Just in case it's not clear, I'm 100% behind Karadoc here. Religion really is a blight on humanity, especially the people who do downright insane things like this.

I wouldn't say that about all religions though. Some of them aren't so bad. Generally the ones that just focus on ways of life rather than belief systems are ok. It's the forcing of unfounded beliefs onto others that I'm against.

-----------

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

The truth is that we don't know how all of these things were created. There are theories, some are a lot more reasonable than others in our current time.

Religions are difficult for me to grasp because they require me to do something I don't believe in: blindly believe.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Quote:

All ID is doing is trying to debunk (or at least open people up to challenging) Darwinism because they think that it is inadequate at explaining all the design in nature. They aren't aligning themselves with any particular God but simply asserting that some sort of intelligent force has acted in the past to create the bioligical systems that are in place today.

Rubbish. "Intelligent Design" is a marketing ploy for creationism, pure and simple.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

... and because this can't be repeated enough: ID ISN'T SCIENCE. Even if the theory of natural selection was 100% wrong and the Earth was in fact created 10 minutes ago by leprechauns, ID/creationism still wouldn't have any place in a science classroom. No predictions, no testability, no falsifiability => not science.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

Why can't both theories coexist?

Well, they do. But very few people can accept both. People tend to mix them. Science is about the world that human is watching and interpreting, religion is about the human watching the world. The bad mix happened when the concept of science was gradually invented, long after, say Genesis was written. Or after Kalevala was told, as well. After that people started to read Genesis and the other books as science.

A bad mix from the opposite point of view happens, too. People tend to look at nature and find scientifical facts about human and try to legitimate morality aspects based on scientific facts. For instance, some people claim that homosexuality might be due to a genetic anomality and therefore it should be considered a natural acceptable condition. Some claim that homosexuality is due to some psychological trauma in the childhood and therefore it should be treated with therapy. Well, I believe homosexuality in some cases might be due to genetics, in some other cases to environmental factors. Either way, you can't legitimate homosexuality based on that. You have to legitimate it based on other things, like what is the real meaning of two people sharing their lives together and how do they fit in the human community.

Please don't continue on this gay topic in this thread. Feel free to start a new thread instead. My point was only that you shouldn't shoot down scientifical theories (like Darwin) with religious reasons. And you shouldn't shoot down the meaning of religion with non-antropocentric scientifical arguments.

Evolution is about nature, based purely on nature studies.
Intelligent design theory is not quite the same thing. It includes the religious reason. At least it attracts people because of their religious reasons, not because the theory's scientifical values.

[edit, less than 10 mins ago :)]

Quote:

Even if the theory of natural selection was 100% wrong and the Earth was in fact created 10 minutes ago by leprechauns, ID/creationism still wouldn't have any place in a science classroom.

Right, because the leprechauns did some good work in creating the concept of science and in that concept, the concept of ID (which they also created) doesn't fit in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Quote:

... and because this can't be repeated enough: ID ISN'T SCIENCE. Even if the theory of natural selection was 100% wrong and the Earth was in fact created 10 minutes ago by leprechauns, ID/creationism still wouldn't have any place in a science classroom. No predictions, no testability, no falsifiability => not science.

Well said.

-----------

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

The real problem with the argument and why it doesn't get resolved is that how one views the evidence is largely affected by acceptance of certain axioms. Evolutionists assume that there can be no divine intervention so they interpret the evidence in that light.

I don't think that's nescessarily so. It's certainly true of me, but I wouldn't say in general.
There is no problem in asserting that god created the universe and believing in evolution, even without invoking the cludge of intelligent design. The question should not be if god created the universe, but wether the universe can be explained without invoking the intervention of such a being. By the way, I'll be reasoning on the assumption that divine intervention is a scientific proposition that can be analysed and argued for or against. If you don't approve of this approach, don't read on.
For physics and cosmology, I would say that as we learn more about the nature of elementary particles and the universe, it becomes clear that postulating a divine being to explain all things is less and less nescessary. In prehistoric times when man did not understand fire and thunder they were assumed to be devine. Now, god's ability to meddle in human affairs is greatly reduced. For me this is a hint that no god had any say in the creation of the universe.

To evolution and Darwinian evolution. The question is not wether things like speciation exist, because as Darwin argued in his book, this can clearly be seen. If you need further proof, look up the link I posted above about ring species. The question also is not wether selection works because that too can be seen clearly (in a laboratory, breeding for a certain quality) and even understood without trouble. Even that natural selection works in principle should be obvious to anyone who bothers to think about it for a second or two.

The question, then, is if natural selection is sufficient to explain the variety of species we see today.
To the best of my knowledge (I'm not a biologist, and I can only refer to popular literature, for instance Dawkins, The Ancestor's Tale and references to original literature therein) current evidence and observations says that it can and earlier claims that the mutation rate is too low are superceded by new measurements.
Intelligent design claims that natural selection is not sufficient and invokes divine intervention to explain the surplus of evolution that natural selection cannot explain.

So, there you have it: a scientifically sound check to test the main premise of intelligent design. Obviously, if it fails the check, well, maybe god made it so that it would. But that line of reasoning is not science.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

If you are interested in ID, please feel free to read some info on the ongoing trial in America about teaching it:

[url http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/dn8061]

Quote:

"Devastating" early drafts of a controversial book recommended as reading at a US high school reveal how the word “creationism” had been later swapped for “intelligent design”, a landmark US trial scrutinising the teaching of ID heard on Wednesday.

The early drafts of the book Of Pandas and People, were used as evidence to link the book to creationism, which it is illegal to teach in government-funded US schools.

The early versions of the book were displayed to the court by expert witness for the plaintiffs and creationist historian Barbara Forrest of the Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond. She suggested that they were strong proof that ID is indeed creationism by another name.

Forrest compared early drafts of Of Pandas and People to a later 1987 copy, and showed how in several instances the word “creationism” had been replaced by “intelligent design”, and “creationist” simply replaced by “intelligent design proponent”.

“Forrest’s testimony showed that ID is not a scientific theory, but a Trojan horse for creationism,” said Eric Rothshild of Pepper Hamilton in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, an attorney for the plaintiffs.

:)

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Intelligent design theory

Intelligent Design is not a theory. I don't think it's even a hypothesis. I'd call it more of an unfounded assumption. If Intelligent Design was a theory, then so would be Intelligent Falling, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, and The Invisible Pink Unicorn.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

da_flo
Member #1,907
February 2002

Sorry to go a little off-topic in this interesting thread.

But it seems that the important question here is : What is science ?

;D

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Evolutionists assume that there can be no divine intervention so they interpret the evidence in that light.

That is incorrect. Science is quite open to most possibilities; but there exists no evidence that divine intervention has ever taken place. That is why intelligent design is not credible science, and why evolution is. Evolutionists are not automatically assuming it can't be true; they've looked at the evidence for creationism and found it to be nonexistent.

--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Science is quite open to most possibilities; but there exists no evidence that divine intervention has ever taken place. That is why intelligent design is not credible science, and why evolution is.

Well, as I said above, there are two things to intelligent design, one of which is a scientific claim (meaning we can use science to study the thesis).

This is the claim that natural selection is not sufficient to describe the diversity we see around us. This is a falsifyable claim and within the realm of scientific investigation. If it's found to be false (and I think it is false), then the viability of intelligent design as a scientific hypothesis is gone.
The other thing is what we deduce if we did find that natural selection is not sufficient. The claim of intelligent design is that we need divine intervention to explain the surplus. This is not a verifiable claim and hence outside the realm of science.

Go to: