Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Arrrggghhh!!!!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Arrrggghhh!!!!
Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

No it's not pirates day.
[url http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4419796.stm]
Friggin Kansas, oh wait I live in Kansas >_<
cough cough I'm getting weak here dies

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Funny thing is that even Vatican has rejected the intelligent design theory :P

google news

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Evolution turned me into a newt!

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Quote:

In a major success for proponents of "intelligent design" and other creationist theories of evolution, the Republican-dominated Kansas Board of Education ruled by six votes to four that, from 2008, teachers will have to give reasons why Darwinism is just one of many theories to explain the origins of life.

Until yesterday, Kansas had allowed teachers to take issue with the theory of evolution. Now they will be forced to do so, using an official list of perceived weaknesses in Darwin's theory.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Is that official list available online anywhere?

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Look on the bright side: at least they're not being thought that the Bible is literally true...

Quote:

Current state standards treat evolution as well-established, a view held by national science groups.

Correction: international.

Quote:

Is that official list available online anywhere?

Let's pick some from the BBC article:

Quote:

The new standards include several specific challenges, including statements that there is a lack of evidence or natural explanation for the genetic code,

Lack of explanation I won't comment on because it hinges on what is meant in this context by `explanation'. But lack of evidence?

Quote:

and charges that fossil records are inconsistent with evolutionary theory.

I'd like to hear in what way. As far as I know it's perfectly consistent.

One would have thought that the existence of ring species is enough to settle the debate on evolution. Apparently one cannot underestimate human blockheadedness.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

Look on the bright side: at least they're not being thought that the Bible is literally true...

But they did redefine science.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/dover/day11pm.html

Yay, astrology is a science now!

[EDIT]
Ok, apparently that was Pennsylvania. Idiocy's not just limited to Kansas it seems. USA! USA!

[EDIT2]
They apparently did rewrite the definition after all: http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/11/08/evolution.debate.ap/index.html

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Proponents of the change argue they are trying to expose students to legitimate scientific questions about evolution.

And this is bad, how? A theory is only as good as the arguments against it. And please, the last thing we need is more people who don't use critical thinking.

Quote:

Teachers have been ordered to tell pupils that Darwin's theory of evolution is unproven, and that the universe is so complex that it may have been created by a higher power.

That's entirely possible. Probable? I don't know. Possible, of course. But I'm not so sure how this equates to a science class.

The fundementalists are going about it entirely wrong. They don't need religion in science classes. They just need optional religious classes. Certainly everyone can benefit from knowing more about religions to prevent bigotry and other misinformation.

I'm amazed by how little people know about other religions. I once said, "I want a bracelet that says, 'What would Buddah do?'" and I was asked if I was jewish. :o

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

And this is bad, how? A theory is only as good as the arguments against it. And please, the last thing we need is more people who don't use critical thinking.

Because Intelligent Design IS. NOT. SCIENCE. No matter what arguments they use to push it.

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Because Intelligent Design IS. NOT. SCIENCE. No matter what arguments they use to push it.

I didn't say that.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Then why should it be taught in Science classes?

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

NyanKoneko
Member #5,617
March 2005

The bible says that the universe was created by a higher being. The bible also says it is never wrong. Therefore the universe WAS created by a higher being. That's science. It takes solid evidence and uses logic to create a solid theory based on said evidence. Duh. :P

----

Quote:

I'm amazed by how little people know about other religions. I once said, "I want a bracelet that says, 'What would Buddah do?'" and I was asked if I was jewish. :o

On a more serious note:
Yes, I know what you mean by people are ignorant of other religions. Jehova witnesses will offer me bibles or tell me how great the Mormons are when I'm wearing my Buddhist prayer beads. Then they will ask me, "Do you go to church often?"

A-mi-to-fo.

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

But the theory of intelligent design is right! If "Natural Selection" was true, the morons should have been dead long before they got to rule the education of a whole state. :o::)

-R

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I'm sure that would make for some good mottos, such as: HIV, hard at work promoting natural selection!

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

FrankyR
Member #243
April 2000

By its nature science is incapable of proving things absolutly. Ideas are suggested and people perform tests. Over time as the number of tests and evidence accumulated for an idea increases the idea becomes more and more accepted. That is how scientific theories work. Scientific theories can be disproven or replaced with a better more supported theory, and I say that ID does neither of these to evolution.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

Yes, I know what you mean by people are ignorant of other religions.

Most people are ignorant of every religion, including their own. Both in the stupid human tradition sense, and the real meaning of it.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I've been trying to intelligently grow a tail for a very long time now and nothing has happened :( I'm a fairly intelligent person what am I doing wrong here???

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

I wonder why hasn't anyone yet posted these two thingies ;D

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

I've been trying to intelligently grow a tail for a very long time now and nothing has happened :( I'm a fairly intelligent person what am I doing wrong here???

You're a furry.

(oh, and do read this)

--

Trumgottist
Member #95
April 2000

People interested in the subject who understand Swedish can read Genesis, a magazine that spends a lot of time arguing against evolution. A bunch of old issues are available for free as PDF files. (My older sister used to be a subscriber.) I find it interesting reading. I'm not convinced the evolutionists are wrong, but there are intelligent scientists who think so.

I'm a Christian, but to me, it's no big deal if evolution is true. The creation described in the bible fits quite well with that theory anyway, if you read the seven days as seven "periods of time". It there was evolution, it was a plan behind it, and not just random.

--
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody - it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Play my game: Frasse and the Peas of Kejick

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

It there was evolution, it was a plan behind it, and not just random.

What even the mistakes? ;)

manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

God speaks through me.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Bad God! Bad God! No treat for you!

--

Go to: