Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Team Chess

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Team Chess
Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

I'm for going on with our plan, with 36...Rcb8 now. I don't see how white can prevent us doubling our rooks on second row now, also we will have threat 37...Rb1 38.Rxb1 Rxb1+.

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Yes, i think we should carry on the original plan of doubling the rooks.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

36...Rcb8

. r . . . . k .
p . . . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q . b . Q P
R . P . . . . .
. r . . . B . .
. . R . . . K . *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9c783ace2a6c4d7682370aa779219293.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9c783ace2a6c4d7682370aa779219293"}show.php

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

37. Bd4

. r . . . . k . *
p . . . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q B b . Q P
R . P . . . . .
. r . . . . . .
. . R . . . K . 

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/5\/9585ee5fcfd4a62df9c262c0bc73ef31.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/5\/9585ee5fcfd4a62df9c262c0bc73ef31"}show.php

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Are you sure you want to do that?

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

Well, some people say that a queen equals a rook and a bishop. Myself - I'm not so sure. But black's rook and bishop are in such great positions that I'm not even sure if I'd trade after all... Of course the other rook is coming in soon as well.

EDIT: Now when I think of it, of course I'd trade! When the other rook is in, it's a checkmate pretty soon.

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Well, some people say that a queen equals a rook and a bishop.

Actually, a queen is supposedly better. Be that as it may, a rook and a bishop is two pieces. Alternatively, you can see it as a queen against two rooks and a rook against a bishop. It's not so clear and there are a lot of pawns, most of which are stuck.
So for the material, no, I don't think it would be a good idea for black.

The only reason it would be tempting is that after Qe2/Rb2, it looks as if white will have a hard time avoiding the checkmate.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Queen is worth more than a rook and a bishop under normal circumstances, but in current positions I don't like this exchange. It's not that white can draw after it, just I will enjoy more having our rooks doubled at second row. After getting both rooks down to 2-nd row we will start harvesting things for free, probably. So propose to move Re2 now. (Not Rd2, because at d2 our rook can be disturbed by white rook or bishop). Next we will play Rbb2 and white will have trouble protecting f2 and g2.

EDIT: FMC, Flad, I also don't mind the exchange if you prefer that. :)

--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Well, if it doesnr lead to mate, then doubling the rooks will clearly be better. I'm still curious how it would play out though; I should put the position on a board and check.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

If Fladimir agrees i'd continue with Re2

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Ung, now the situation seems really almost hopeless. I played through quite a few different possibilities, even before making that last move and it always ends up in a checkmate, sooner or later. I think all I can do now is to delay that a little more but not for very long. Oh well, just continue to play, it should be over soon.

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

Re2 is fine for me :)

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

I wonder what would happen after Rg2. :)

EDIT: Probably just white queen for black rook and bishop exchange, so nothing really amazing.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

37...Re2

. r . . . . k .
p . . . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q B b . Q P
R . P . . . . .
. . . . r . . .
. . R . . . K . *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/0\/50b50866f674d2249da74ecde8f80c8f.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/0\/50b50866f674d2249da74ecde8f80c8f"}show.php

Rg2 wins, but I just wanted to show that our original long term plan works as well. If we move Rg2 white may say that they blundered. But with Re2 they have no excuse because this line is natural development of position of about 10 or 15 moves ago.

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Time to sacrifice the queen. I have checked other possibilities but sacrificing the queen seems to promise the longest possible delay until the checkmate.
After black Qxe2, I'll move the bishop back to f2. (edit: or maybe rook to f1, edit2: or maybe not..)

38. Qxe2

. r . . . . k . *
p . . . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q B b . . P
R . P . . . . .
. . . . Q . . .
. . R . . . K .

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/e\/1e84574f331061120a602055ca60284d.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/e\/1e84574f331061120a602055ca60284d"}show.php

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Qxe2? ;D

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Sure. :)

--

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

38. ..., Qxe2

. r . . . . k .
p . . . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . . B b . . P
R . P . . . . .
. . . . q . . .
. . R . . . K .*

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39a855f69923cfd6982157848ff9dfe1.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39a855f69923cfd6982157848ff9dfe1"}show.php

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

39. pawn to c4

. r . . . . k . *
p . . . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . P B b . . P
R . . . . . . .
. . . . q . . .
. . R . . . K .

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/8\/28858339030ccdc2297d1c1ec2eb3480.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/8\/28858339030ccdc2297d1c1ec2eb3480"}show.php

[edit] Actually that was the stupidest move I could make. Now it's checkmate immediately.:(

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

For me you can take back the move, if you prefer to do so.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Nah, it's ok FMC. It is about time this game ends, so we can all move on with our lifes. Congratulations to you. :)

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

39...Qg2# Checkmate. Good game.

. r . . . . k .
p . . . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . P B b . . P
R . . . . . . .
. . . . . . q .
. . R . . . K . *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/7\/17856f23f945f5d3c1f47d395effbca1.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/7\/17856f23f945f5d3c1f47d395effbca1"}show.php

I think white's main mistake in this game were moves g4 and f4. I think the game was lost for white after those two moves - the attack on king side was impossible, and their king was left without protection. Also our bishop got great position at e4 after that, where it conrolled b1 and squares next to king, and where it could not be attacked. I think after g4 and f4 moves by white, black should be able to always win with the accurate play.

Good game anyway. So how many days it lasted, still less than a year? :)

EDIT

Dennis Busch said:

[edit] Actually that was the stupidest move I could make. Now it's checkmate immediately.

With other moves it's not much longer. For example: 39.Bf2 Qg4+ 40.Kf1 Bd3+ 41.Ke1 Qe2#.

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Zomigosh, it's finally over? :o

gg

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

For example: 39.Bf2 Qg4+ 40.Kf1 Bd3+ 41.Ke1 Qe2#.

It's a prettier mate though ;)

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Thanks to all who played, especially to my teammates ;)

Go to: