Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Team Chess

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Team Chess
Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Certainly we can't move 32...Rcb7 - it gives away the rook.

32...Rh8 is much better but in the line 32...Rh8 33.Qf6+ Kg8 34.Qd8+ Kg7 35.Qxc7 leaves us without a rook too. So we will have to move 34...Kh7, which kind of defeats the purpose of moving rook to h8.

I like the move 32...Rb2 now. It places the rook on the second row, closing on their king. After this move they will have to be very careful to not get checkmate. If they move 33.Qf6+ we just move 33...Kh7 and they can't do anything dangerous. If they go for our rook at c7 by 34.Qd8 they will get checkmate very fast after 34...Qe2

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I don't know what i was thinking when i wrote my last post :-X

Rb2 is indeed a slick move, Fladimir what do you think?

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

Sounds good, though they won't have hard time to trade the rook if they wanted...

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

How is that, how they can trade a rook? I thought it is beauty of this position - they can't exchange anything.

EDIT: OK, moving 32...Rb2 if there is no other discussion. :)

32...Rb2

. . . . . . . .
p . r . . p k .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q . b Q . P
. . P . . . . .
. r . . . B . .
R . R . . . K . *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/0\/a0f1065fa7605a055be47bf12ccf5955.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/0\/a0f1065fa7605a055be47bf12ccf5955"}show.php

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Without any discussion, (because the white team is dead obviously) i will continue to play. If I should be wrong and the white team is still around watching and should have any objections, then this game shall still be considered forked and i'm just continuing to play my forked version in that case.:-/

33 Qf6+

. . . . . . . . *
p . r . . p k .
P . p . p Q p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q . b . . P
. . P . . . . .
. r . . . B . .
R . R . . . K . 

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/465f5fdf3ff79ff366b71c8ed11b726a.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/465f5fdf3ff79ff366b71c8ed11b726a"}show.php

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

should have any objections, then this game shall still be considered forked and i'm just continuing to play my forked version in that case.

Do whatever you want, I'm not interested in trying to defend that position (even if I didn't think it hopeless and I had the time, which I don't really). You know I disagree with the evaluation of the position, and hence the strategy. There's no sense in discussing moves if you cannot agree on those issues.

Oh, just a few more things,

Quote:

Evert your strategy sucks. Whats a pain in the ass about you is all you see is your strategy. And it sucks.

Must be, in your words, my `weird way of thinking about chess'.

Quote:

You get it in your head that some move is the golden move and then can't all mad and argumentative and defensive about your stupid move and wont listen to anything anybody else has to say.

Oh, that's where you're wrong. Very wrong. Did it occur to you that I may have actually looked at the position before objecting to a certain cause of action?
Now tell me, if I propose a move and someone else proposes a move, then shouldn't there be discussion on why one of the two is better than the other one?

Quote:

You're a freakin hypocrite.

Oh, thanks for that. I won't reply to that, but I will remember you said that.

Quote:

Honestly, who gives a shit if your move is slightly better then their move, or if you saw something they didn't see? If you see something they didn't see then TELL THEM and help the logic progress farther.

Where did anyone listen to me when I said (and explained) why advancing pawns is a bad idea, why we don't want a black rook on b2 and why we didn't want to exchange queens?

Quote:

Winning about how your always right and everyone else in the world is always wrong

Who says I'm always right? I certainly didn't.

Quote:

and how you've read so many chess books and your a chess master and we all suck at chess doesn't help anything.

Well, I apologise for wording my criticism a bit harshly, but it would have helped if I at least had had the idea anyone was actually listening to what I was saying.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Ok, it's just a mather of retreat, but where?
Is there some specific point we should go to?

[EDIT]Wait a sec... am i missing something or our rook in c7 is doomed after Qd8, and it doesn't matter in which direction we move the king?

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Hi everyone! I'm back from 2 weeks vacations. It's good the thread is still alive!

We have only one move now: 33...Kh7. Yes, the rook is doomed after 34.Qd8, but they can't do that because we then checkmate after 34...Qe2.

If we move our king to g8 or h8, they will move 34.Qd8 with check. It will not save them probably, but better not risk anyway. (Although I think we'll checkmate anyway after 33...Kg8 34.Qd8+ Kg7 35.Qxc7 Qe2).

Evert, I more or less share your `weird way of thinking about chess', so I understand your being upset about your team decisions. I still think team chess can work if there is discussion and peaceful and respectful atmosphere in a team. Though it then may take years to complete the game, if all members have to be convinced before making a move. May be we can try something different next time.

The only thing I disagree with you is about trading queens in current position (for about last 10 moves). You said a few times you like to avoid queen exchange, but I think it would be good for white. So I tried to avoid that exchange myself. Queen is our main attacking piece, without both queens white may hope to create some fortress structure. With queens we have too many attacking possibilities, which I think white queen does not compensate. I'm saying now because I think now white can't force queen exchange already.

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Evert said:

Do whatever you want, I'm not interested in trying to defend that position (even if I didn't think it hopeless and I had the time, which I don't really). You know I disagree with the evaluation of the position, and hence the strategy. There's no sense in discussing moves if you cannot agree on those issues.

Ok.

Kirr said:

If we move our king to g8 or h8, they will move 34.Qd8 with check. It will not save them probably, but better not risk anyway.

If you move the king to somewhere on line 8, I might move the queen to d8, but just to put you in check again, not to fulfill any strategy at all, because picking that rook is impossible without preventing your Qe2, even worse, I couldn't even move the queen back to f6 after that, because then you could still lock her out with the bishop.

I see only one line of moves in which that rook could fall safely and that's unlikely to happen: Kg8,Qd8+,Kh7,Qxc7,Qe2,Qxf7+

I've also played through numerous possibilites of advancing the h pawn after Kh7, but there is too high the risk that the white queen gets locked behind the bishop... so my "plan" is now to just move the queen back to f4, after your Kh7.

[P.S.:] Welcome back!:)

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Dennis Busch said:

I see only one line of moves in which that rook could fall safely and that's unlikely to happen: Kg8,Qd8+,Kh7,Qxc7,Qe2,Qxf7+

Yeah, this is not very likely to happen.

Dennis Busch said:

[P.S.:] Welcome back!

Yay!

OK, if there are no suggestions, shall we play 33...Kh7? We don't have any reasonable alternatives anyway.

33...Kh7

. . . . . . . .
p . r . . p . k
P . p . p Q p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q . b . . P
. . P . . . . .
. r . . . B . .
R . R . . . K . *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/538773259b973468b7a68743dd0beaa5.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/538773259b973468b7a68743dd0beaa5"}show.php

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Moving her highness back then.

34. Qf4

. . . . . . . . *
p . r . . p . k
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q . b Q . P
. . P . . . . .
. r . . . B . .
R . R . . . K .

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/2\/8215ff23163b9b8a97e36e464cfabe1d.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/2\/8215ff23163b9b8a97e36e464cfabe1d"}show.php

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

The only thing I disagree with you is about trading queens in current position (for about last 10 moves). You said a few times you like to avoid queen exchange, but I think it would be good for white. So I tried to avoid that exchange myself. Queen is our main attacking piece, without both queens white may hope to create some fortress structure. With queens we have too many attacking possibilities, which I think white queen does not compensate. I'm saying now because I think now white can't force queen exchange already.

Oh, it's quite possible that neither black nor white want to exchange queens, for different reasons.
Anyway, why I didn't like the queen exchange in a nutshell:
1) Black's queen is very annoying for white and certainly `better' than white's. In that sense, it makes sense to exchange the two (as one might exchange a bad bishop againt a good bishop). But:
2) White's pawn structure resembles a piece of Swiss cheese, the bishop is trapped behind its own pawns and has not much of a future to look forward to and white's rooks cannot become active because black controls the b-file and black's bishop cannot be budged from its place. In other words, white's queen is the only piece that white can hope to make active. For that reason, I wanted to keep the queen and try to find another way of chasing off black's queen (using the rooks). That may very well not have worked, but at least it's a consistent plan, and one I'd rather try than the end game that results after queen exchange: black has a clear plus there and no obvious weaknesses that white can exploit. All black has to do is sit on his advantage and push forward patiently until white finally cannot defend the position anymore. It may take tens of moves if white is on his guard and defends well, but it won't help if black does not make a serious mistake.
In other words, in that end game white has to work hard and be on his guard at all times while black can be a bit more sloppy as long as he doesn't make any big mistakes. It's not the sort of game I like to play (being white, I love it when I'm black) and it didn't seem like a good idea at the time.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Yeah, that was the only move.

Now we can finally start doing something active. Black's dream would be to bring another rook to the second rank too: Rc7-c8-b8-b2. Currently that rook is guarding pawn f7, so we have to protect it with the king first. So, I propose to move Kg8 now. Looks a bit erratic, I know, but I don't know how white is going to counter this plan.

I tried to find some tactics with the current attacking pieces - queen, rook and bishop, but it seems they still can defend.

Any thoughts?

--

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Bringing the second rook on the second row will be all but easy but i agree it's the only reasonable choice; again i agree that the rook can't move until it's the only one defending that pawn.
I vote for kg8

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

OK, two for Kg8 and no other ideas, so it should be fine to move. :)

34...Kg8

. . . . . . k .
p . r . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q . b Q . P
. . P . . . . .
. r . . . B . .
R . R . . . K . *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/7\/27ecb873297b42ab9dfe94785d72296f.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/7\/27ecb873297b42ab9dfe94785d72296f"}show.php

--

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

As this thread gets older it's reproduction rate dies down :P
White team where art thou?

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Sorry, I am a bit busy working on version 1.0 of dcgg.

35 Qg4

. . . . . . k . *
p . r . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q . b . Q P
. . P . . . . .
. r . . . B . .
R . R . . . K .

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/1\/01c7e4201f1e969f69ed9022f710c7b4.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/1\/01c7e4201f1e969f69ed9022f710c7b4"}show.php

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Good! Black team, let's carry on with our plan? (35...Rc8)

One alternative may be to put our rook to d2, then d3. It looks like great place for our rook, but I'm not sure I am not missing something there. It is more tactical, may be they can force some exchange there, which we better avoud now.

--

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Rc8 for me

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

OK, here we go!

35...Rc8

. . r . . . k .
p . . . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q . b . Q P
. . P . . . . .
. r . . . B . .
R . R . . . K . *

FMC, "Chess for Allegroites" is down?

--

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

It's the link from a.cc thats broken, no idea why :-/

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/7876ca16c95be16ac480957271fd4ae5.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/7876ca16c95be16ac480957271fd4ae5"}show.php

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Update your sig.... there is no allegro.cc/go/ anymore.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

it seems you have to post to update the sig...

[edit]Actually not :P
What should i do to update it?

[edit2]Nevermind, it works now

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Bump! White to move.

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

36. Ra3

. . r . . . k . *
p . . . . p . .
P . p . p . p .
. . P p P . P .
. . q . b . Q P
R . P . . . . .
. r . . . B . .
. . R . . . K .

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3d28d6b5bd8d3093bcafc322822fc8a2.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3d28d6b5bd8d3093bcafc322822fc8a2"}show.php

Go to: