Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Who Do You Miss Most?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Who Do You Miss Most?
Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I think I'd have to say I miss gfoot who hasn't been on here for over a year now. It was sad to see him leave game programming and allegro to persue personal ambitions. Who do you miss the most out of everyone?

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I don't know some people just sparatically post any more, so I don't miss them I just wish they would stay around more :) Like Plucky, Spellcaster, etc. Actually Spellcaster hasn't posted in ages... I miss Spelly :'(

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Actually Spellcaster hasn't posted in ages... I miss Spelly :'(

Whadda you mean? I'm sure he posted at least a week ago... the most notorious MIA at the moment is probably 23.

There's quite a few people who come and go, but that's the nature of on line message boards. I don't see myself posting here for all eternity either.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I don't feel like I've been here long enough to miss anyone that bad. I'm sure spelly posted within the past week. 23 posted today, and Plucky posted three days ago. So there.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Well haven't I been proven wrong :P People also change their nicks so that gets confusing since you become used to their origional then when they change you mentally get to thinking they are a totally different person.

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

It's more confusing when they change their avatar.

-R

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Heh. Well, my point wasn't to prove you wrong; it's just that we should be glad that they haven't just walked off the face of the Allegro earth. I've seen these things happen. It kind of sucks.

I know what you mean about people changing their name. I also notice when people change their avatars, I might start "hearing" them in a different voice.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Maybe Matthew can add a special alias tab on everyones profile page which lists all past aliases and avatars ;D

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Steve said:

Maybe Matthew can add a special alias tab on everyones profile page which lists all past aliases and avatars

Heh. That would be a first for an internet forum, I think.

How do you guys hear other peoples' posts? I'd like to know if we're the same. spelly and Evert sound similar--both deep, authoritative voices with spelly being slightly more thunderous. Bob's is along the same lines but with more emotion, I suppose. Matthew sounds (predictably) like a male, anime, pro voice actor. Steve, you sound like Derezo. Zimmpa speaks loudly and slightly monotonic, and it's kind of funny. KittyCat and Bruce Perry sound similar: a kind of energetic voice (at times being high in pitch), but Perry's voice changes when he posts out of the off-topic forum.

Woowhee. I hope nobody's offended or anything; they're just my mostly unfounded perceptions. If anything, it says more about me than anyone else.

Oh, and Diana sounds exactly like this girl I used to know.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Gideon... you are scaring me ;D I think everyone here sounds exactly like the voice in my head... which sounds a bit like me in real life :P

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I wonder what you think I sound like.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Matthew sounds (predictably) like a male, anime, pro voice actor.

Oh, the irony. ;D

... what do I sound like?

[Edit: Oh great, now I can't read a post by Matthew without hearing Songoku's voice. Thanks a lot.]

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Hahaha. Fine, you can say that, but it's bad to leave your true thoughts bottled up inside. YOU HEAR TEH VOICES TOO!!!

But seriously, how can you imagine a woman's voice to be your own voice?

-- edit --

Thanks for asking! X-G, you don't actually sound like a robot. Depening on the context, you either sound like a mid-range, energetic, young male--in the way an Attention Def. Disorder student would sound if he were arguing with his school counselor. Or, you sound like a gentle, deeper male voice with an almost motherly sense of caring/accosting.

SSC, you sound like a guy I used to know; he had lots of tatoos and lost his virginity before everyone else did. He smoked a lot, but his voice wasn't raspy or coughy. It was a little scratchy, though, if that makes any sense. (That's just the good stuff, though.)

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Voices in my head don't have a gender. Theyre merely voices, it's more like I read dialogue in my head rather than hear them.

rockslave
Member #873
January 2001

I miss me! I have a thousand games to finish but I lack a computer of my own! How can I post if I can't work? :(

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

And I sound like?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

CK, you sound a lot like gnolam, which is exactly what one would expect gnolam to sound like.

rockslave, hello! You almost missed your topic.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Gideon Weems: I do similar things, but with almost any text. I can almost hear the person through their choice of words and word order. The avatars here do affect the voice, of course, though I'm not sure by how much.
People changing their avatars is annoying only because I don't recognize people by how I hear their posts, but rather by how I see their avatar.

Anyway, it's hard to say how I hear you all :) I guess you all will have to pop inside my head.

Oh, oh, what do I sound like :P

Oh, and on-topic: I personally have felt a decrease in Spelly's presence, not to mention 23's. So it's not just you.

EDIT: SSC sounds like a grumpy kitten :P

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

You sound p*ssed off a lot :P

Quote:

The avatars here do affect the voice

I bet I sound like a bunch of clicks and obscure chatter ;D
I don't miss 23... anymore... the traitor.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I'm never going to live this one down.

(The quality is crappy. I don't have access to studio equipment nor do I know jack shit about audio postprocessing.)

(This is the post in question.)

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who hear voices in their head while reading. I remember talking to someone who was convinced that it wasn't normal. - I wouldn't be able to read without them.

XG: your voice always sounds very bored to me :P. As if you are only half interested in what you are saying, a bit like someone resigned to having to answer the same stupid questions repeatedly.

[EDIT] :o Nothing like I thought it would be!

Matthew's is kind of Peter Parker from Spiderman but slightly more irritated.

23's is quite slow, deep and sort of caring/gentle.

Spellcaster's is the best: Half way between Einstein and Gandalf ;D.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Wow, X-G, I never imagined you sounding like that. Cool 8-)

I wonder how well we (with the ability) predict people's voices? Do we do it well, or horrible? Or do we do it well, but people never write the same way they speak?

Go to: