Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Science Fiction Movies

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Science Fiction Movies
OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

What about Star Treks (especially First contact or Insurrection, but that with Kirk were good too)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Ahh, some good movies listed here!

Barbarella - a young scantily clad Jane Fonda was the best part of that flick.

Soylent Green is awesome; then you'll have to check out the other Charlton Heston sci fi movies: The Planet of the Apes (origionals of course).

David Bowie was in a wacked out scifi movie in the 70's 'the man who fell to earth'.

'Logan's Run' is awesome.

'Dark City' was really great and not what you'd expect at all.

'Contact' with Jodie Foster.

What was the movie with O. J. Simpson were they faked a Mars mission?

'Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow' was an astounding movie.

'Galaxy Quest' was amusing.

'The computer wore tennis shoes'

'The Black hole'

'Escape from Witch Mountain'

'Flight of the Navigator'

'Outland' - Sean Connery?

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

... now that's a movie I would actually pay to avoid seeing again. :)

Quote:

What was the movie with O. J. Simpson were they faked a Mars mission?

Capricorn One. Both the book and movie were decent IIRC :)

Quote:

'Outland' - Sean Connery?

Good idea but mediocre execution. The original - "High Noon" - is way better :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

Kris said:

Batteries not included!!!!
Flight of the navigator !!!! (unmissable!)

Both great movies. I loved them as a kid.

However, my absolute favorite Sci-Fi right now is a series, not a movie. Only 14 episodes. Although there is a movie coming out in September.
You need to buy FireFly! Of course, it's more about the character's than SciFi. The movie will be called Serenity, which is the name of their ship.

------------
Radagar - So your vote is for A.D.H.D.?
Chris Katko - Well, that was uninten--ooh kitty!

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

'The Black hole'

Second that! I remember seeing that movie when it first came out... ooh... I was a little too young to fully appreciate it. Maximillian was the sheet.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

... I'm sorry, what?!

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

My i second the recommmendations of Gattaca, Contact, Logan's Run, Fifth Element, Pitch Black and Chronicles of Rid.d.i.c.k. (stupid censorship) Excellent movies. But stay away from Paycheck, it might sound good but it's not.

How could you forget Cherry 2000, that movie is awesome! >:(

You don't deserve my sig.

RallyMonkey
Member #4,615
May 2004

I agree about Paycheck. They wasted a perfectly good idea with that one.

NOTICE: This post's grammar/spelling/puncuation is definitive. English is frequently inaccurate.
---
"Puppet Sex!!!!" - Goalie Ca

umperio
Member #3,474
April 2003

Quote:

Quote:

Don't believe to him if you want to see a great serious science-fiction movie. If you want some kiddish fantasy movie then go for 'Space Balls' or something like that.

I would suggest also 'Red planet', it's a pretty good one.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:
I said:

Don't believe to him if you want to see a great serious science-fiction movie.

No, please do believe me :)
If you want to see a slow, preachy, bible-thumping Sci-Fi movie with no recognizable merit whatsoever, go see it. Otherwise, I advise you to stay the hell away :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Torbjörn Josefsson
Member #1,048
September 2000

Warning: Don't, I repeat DON'T see "Mission to Mars" ..the horror.. the horror..

--
Specialization is for insects

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I also like Contact. :P

Besides, it's got Jodie Foster in it. :-*

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

If you want to see a slow, preachy, bible-thumping Sci-Fi movie with no recognizable merit whatsoever, go see it.

Oh, I dunno. It had rather good special effects for its time (though it's still not bad). good acting (Jodie Foster, Tom Skerrit, and James Woods.. come on people!), a good musical score, and a very good story which I didn't really find preachy at all.. almost the opposite in fact.

[spoiler]
In fact, it's almost anti-faith with as much as Ellie, the main character, is constantly stepped on and over because of government politics and her (lack of) faith.
[/spoiler]

The end is a good couter-balance to that, though without going overbord.. and as far as I'm concerned does a commendable job at making the viewer think. Movies that are able to do that are quite rare these days.

The movie as a whole was also quite down to earth, so it is what you'd actually term science-fiction, instead of science-fantasy. I definitely recommend it.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Taste differ (obviously) but I really like Contact too. The first 5 minutes were the camera zooms out from the earth is really cool and Carl Sagan is my hero.

Quote:

... I'm sorry, what?!

You guys are nuts, this movie is great. Its cheesy, campy, and old school. Its like a Kurt Buseik comic book on the big screen. Its amazing. It's the only movie with Gwynet Paltrow that hasn't made me puke.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Sky Captain and World of Tomorrow is a movie that came out in October or November. As for Science Fiction movies:

Matrix
Matrix Revisited
Animatrix
Matrix Reloaded
Matrix Revolution
Lost in Space (kind of kiddie but it has Mimi Rogers:))
Barbarella
Outland
Star Wars
Star Trek movies
Dark City
Fortress
Fortress 2 (both of these star Christopher Lambert)
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2 (released Tuesday here)
Highlander movies

There is also a few that I have that have them classified as horror sci-fi on the back of their cases:

Leprechaun(I have the entire seies)
Friday the 13th(the latter movie cases classified this as horror/sci-fi)
Nightmare on Elm Street/Wes Craven's New Nightmare(WCNN was h/sci-fi also)

Note: In my opinion all Christopher Lambert movies are good. Not all of them are sci-fi, though, cause his movie Gideon was a great movie IMHO and it wasn't sci-fi at all.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I liked contact... And the Last Star Fighter \o/

I don't watch movies to rip holes in them. Some of you should try it sometime.

edit: Not to mention Batteries not included, and Howard the Duck!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I liked Contact as well. And Matrix... only the first one.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Can't believe I forgot Batteries Not Included, Flight Of the Navigator, or Howard the Duck. When those movies came out I was eager to record them. In November, Flight of the Navigator was released on DVD so I jumped at the opportunity to buy it. Hope Howard the Duck and Batteries Not Included along with the other classics mentioned will be released on DVD soon (like Last Starfighter, Cubed, and Cubed 2).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Equilibrium

I can't not second this movie... the Matrix (One! The good one!) killer.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

RallyMonkey
Member #4,615
May 2004

Chris, double negatives aren't not fun.

NOTICE: This post's grammar/spelling/puncuation is definitive. English is frequently inaccurate.
---

clovekx
Member #3,479
April 2003

Dark City, Equilibrium, Paycheck, Minority Report, Final Fantasy, Impostor,...

EDIT: Futurama

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Mimic, Species, Species 2, Species 3, and try to find any publications from the Sci-Fi channel. The sci-fi channel movies that are actually made by sci-fi channel are great movies and worth seeing.

BOA(sci-fi channel movie)
Python(sci-fi channel movie)
BOA vs. Python(sci-fi channel movie)
Sphere
Deep Shock (Sci-fi channel movie)
Deep Impact

RallyMonkey
Member #4,615
May 2004

A second for Minority Report.

---

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

It's the only movie with Gwynet Paltrow that hasn't made me puke

Even allowing for The Talented Mr Ripley?

1   2   3 

Go to: