Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Science Fiction Movies

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Science Fiction Movies
Daniel Sauder
Member #4,762
June 2004

Hi, I'm looking for new science fiction movies I can buy. I already have:
Brazil, Rollerball, Solaris (the new one), Twelve Monkeys, AI, Dune, Galaxina, The Cell, Cube, Starship Troopers, Blade Runner, I Robot :P, Resident Evil and a few more I only have on video tape, I can't play them anymore :P.
So, what are your favourites? Suggestions?

Rick
Member #3,572
June 2003

I hope you have The Matrix.

========================================================
Actually I think I'm a tad ugly, but some women disagree, mostly Asians for some reason.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

I once saw a really good science fiction movie, but for the life of me I can't remember its name. I though it was Dark Star, but checking IMDB reveals that to be some science fiction comedy which is very much not what I saw. What I saw seemed to be a piece about someone left alone in space, looking after a big garden of some sort and not really being able to cope when someone eventually comes to rescue him. Probably from the 60s or 70s. Anybody?

Otherwise, I don't know, you look like you prefer serious ones so not Barbarella but maybe Metropolis or Soylent Green?

EDIT: I hope you don't have The Matrix!

Torbjörn Josefsson
Member #1,048
September 2000

Throw away AI

Check out Gattaca, Strange days, Wild Palms, Scanners & Event Horizon

PS - the best sci-fi kicks are in books - like Greag Bear's "Forge of God", Bruce Sterling's "Distraction", Greg Egan's "Distress" or Alastair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" series

--
Specialization is for insects

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I didn't read Star Wars in your list ;D

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Daniel Sauder
Member #4,762
June 2004

Rick: Didn't like Matrix. There are some animation Matrix short movies I found much better (Animatrix?).

Thomas: I don't know that movie, but isn't Dark Star a John Carpenter movie with a bomb stucking or something? Maybe I saw Barbarella once.

Torbjörn: I saw Strange days in the cinema and found it great, Gattaca too. I had Event Horizon on VHS, but it would be a good idea to get it.

Anybody of you ever saw Ghost in the Shell? How is that?

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Dark Star is a great, very dark comedy. The movie you are thinking about Thomas is Silent Running

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Daniel said:

Yes. Weird, but i recomend to see it, if only for curiosity.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

CascoOscuro
Member #4,966
August 2004

Purchase SpaceBalls
[url http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094012/]

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Dark Star is a great, very dark comedy. The movie you are thinking about Thomas is Silent Running

Good god, you're right! How did you do that? I'll have to catch it again sometime (both previous times have been channel surfing, probably to BBC2) and find out if my memory has really cheated me or not...

EDIT: as it seems I have the plot at least slightly wrong, I guess so. But everyone still says it is great, so go watch it!

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Quote:

I watched both. They are very good, but quite a bit intelectual, much like the last chapters of Evangelion. Pay attention to Legend of Earthsea, it seems very promising. It is not a movie, but rather a series.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Avenger
Member #4,550
April 2004

Final Fantasy? Although it goes a bit over the line:(

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

A few of these may stretch the definition a bit... but here goes: Alien, Aliens, Clockwork Orange, Delikatessen, Donnie Darko, 28 Days Later, Dark City, Equilibrium, Event Horizon, the Fifth Element, Gattaca, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, the first Matrix movie, Minority Report, One Point O (fairly new and unknown... don't let the low IMDB score fool you), Pitch Black, Screamers, Terminator 1 & 2, X-men 1 & 2.

Should last you a while :)

Oh, and follow Torbjörn's suggestion and sell AI without looking at it ;)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Plan 9 from Outer Space, and Barbarella. Naturally!

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

but quite a bit intelectual, much like the last chapters of Evangelion.

I'm not sure I would call the last episodes of Evangelion "a bit intellectual". More like completely freaking psycho.

I second Donnie Darko and most of the rest of gnolam's list.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Kris Allen
Member #4,639
May 2004

Batteries not included!!!!
Flight of the navigator !!!! (unmissable!)

- Kris

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

I'm not sure I would call the last episodes of Evangelion "a bit intellectual". More like completely freaking psycho.

Ugh... avoid those last two episodes at all cost and see Death and Rebirth / End of Evangelion instead.

-->

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Nah, they are nice after you have watched them five or six times ;)

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Watching the final two episodes of Evangelion are equivalent to watching all three LoTR movies, only to see Frodo make it to the summit of Mt. Doom, whip out a strap-on and arse-phuck Gollum, cut his own throat with a leftover (and very stale) piece of Elven bread, while watching Sam run in circles endlessly screaming "Dead babies with rabies!" Then the credits roll...

Or, I could have been less graphic and just said it was painful; but where's the fun in that?!

-->

Daniel Sauder
Member #4,762
June 2004

Sirocco: Someone told me that Plan 9 really sucks. I didn't see it yet, but I liked the movie Ed Wood by Tim Burton.
So I got a long list for buying movies now ;).

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Yes, both of those suggestion were made in jest -- although I have run into a few people who saw redeeming value in Barbarella... shudder.

-->

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I've watched the first two eps of Earth Sea and it's a very good, well thought out, and generally well done series. Sci-Fi tends to make quite a few well done origional series.

Go watch Soilent Green... you'll never guess the plot of that movie ::)

Jeff Houck
Member #5,287
December 2004

Quote:

I've watched the first two eps of Earth Sea...

I think that was it. Two episodes. And they left out SO much...:'(
If you like them, you should read the real thing from U.K. LeQuinn. It's incredible.:)

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

:o that was it??? Damn yeah I can see where they could of left stuff out, hmm I thought it was gonna be a longer series than that... I guess it did kinda end... but it was too abrubt :(

ReyBrujo
January 2001

The same happens with LotR or any fantasy book, including Stephen King ones.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

1   2   3 

Go to: