Science Fiction Movies
Daniel Sauder

Hi, I'm looking for new science fiction movies I can buy. I already have:
Brazil, Rollerball, Solaris (the new one), Twelve Monkeys, AI, Dune, Galaxina, The Cell, Cube, Starship Troopers, Blade Runner, I Robot :P, Resident Evil and a few more I only have on video tape, I can't play them anymore :P.
So, what are your favourites? Suggestions?

Rick

I hope you have The Matrix.

Thomas Harte

I once saw a really good science fiction movie, but for the life of me I can't remember its name. I though it was Dark Star, but checking IMDB reveals that to be some science fiction comedy which is very much not what I saw. What I saw seemed to be a piece about someone left alone in space, looking after a big garden of some sort and not really being able to cope when someone eventually comes to rescue him. Probably from the 60s or 70s. Anybody?

Otherwise, I don't know, you look like you prefer serious ones so not Barbarella but maybe Metropolis or Soylent Green?

EDIT: I hope you don't have The Matrix!

Torbjörn Josefsson

Throw away AI

Check out Gattaca, Strange days, Wild Palms, Scanners & Event Horizon

PS - the best sci-fi kicks are in books - like Greag Bear's "Forge of God", Bruce Sterling's "Distraction", Greg Egan's "Distress" or Alastair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" series

FMC

I didn't read Star Wars in your list ;D

Daniel Sauder

Rick: Didn't like Matrix. There are some animation Matrix short movies I found much better (Animatrix?).

Thomas: I don't know that movie, but isn't Dark Star a John Carpenter movie with a bomb stucking or something? Maybe I saw Barbarella once.

Torbjörn: I saw Strange days in the cinema and found it great, Gattaca too. I had Event Horizon on VHS, but it would be a good idea to get it.

Anybody of you ever saw Ghost in the Shell? How is that?

Matt Smith

Dark Star is a great, very dark comedy. The movie you are thinking about Thomas is Silent Running

FMC
Daniel said:

Yes. Weird, but i recomend to see it, if only for curiosity.

CascoOscuro

Purchase SpaceBalls
[url http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094012/]

Thomas Harte
Quote:

Dark Star is a great, very dark comedy. The movie you are thinking about Thomas is Silent Running

Good god, you're right! How did you do that? I'll have to catch it again sometime (both previous times have been channel surfing, probably to BBC2) and find out if my memory has really cheated me or not...

EDIT: as it seems I have the plot at least slightly wrong, I guess so. But everyone still says it is great, so go watch it!

ReyBrujo
Quote:

I watched both. They are very good, but quite a bit intelectual, much like the last chapters of Evangelion. Pay attention to Legend of Earthsea, it seems very promising. It is not a movie, but rather a series.

Avenger

Final Fantasy? Although it goes a bit over the line:(

gnolam

A few of these may stretch the definition a bit... but here goes: Alien, Aliens, Clockwork Orange, Delikatessen, Donnie Darko, 28 Days Later, Dark City, Equilibrium, Event Horizon, the Fifth Element, Gattaca, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, the first Matrix movie, Minority Report, One Point O (fairly new and unknown... don't let the low IMDB score fool you), Pitch Black, Screamers, Terminator 1 & 2, X-men 1 & 2.

Should last you a while :)

Oh, and follow Torbjörn's suggestion and sell AI without looking at it ;)

Sirocco

Plan 9 from Outer Space, and Barbarella. Naturally!

X-G

Quote:

but quite a bit intelectual, much like the last chapters of Evangelion.

I'm not sure I would call the last episodes of Evangelion "a bit intellectual". More like completely freaking psycho.

I second Donnie Darko and most of the rest of gnolam's list.

Kris Allen

Batteries not included!!!!
Flight of the navigator !!!! (unmissable!)

Sirocco
Quote:

I'm not sure I would call the last episodes of Evangelion "a bit intellectual". More like completely freaking psycho.

Ugh... avoid those last two episodes at all cost and see Death and Rebirth / End of Evangelion instead.

ReyBrujo

Nah, they are nice after you have watched them five or six times ;)

Sirocco

Watching the final two episodes of Evangelion are equivalent to watching all three LoTR movies, only to see Frodo make it to the summit of Mt. Doom, whip out a strap-on and arse-phuck Gollum, cut his own throat with a leftover (and very stale) piece of Elven bread, while watching Sam run in circles endlessly screaming "Dead babies with rabies!" Then the credits roll...

Or, I could have been less graphic and just said it was painful; but where's the fun in that?!

Daniel Sauder

Sirocco: Someone told me that Plan 9 really sucks. I didn't see it yet, but I liked the movie Ed Wood by Tim Burton.
So I got a long list for buying movies now ;).

Sirocco

Yes, both of those suggestion were made in jest -- although I have run into a few people who saw redeeming value in Barbarella... shudder.

Steve Terry

I've watched the first two eps of Earth Sea and it's a very good, well thought out, and generally well done series. Sci-Fi tends to make quite a few well done origional series.

Go watch Soilent Green... you'll never guess the plot of that movie ::)

Jeff Houck
Quote:

I've watched the first two eps of Earth Sea...

I think that was it. Two episodes. And they left out SO much...:'(
If you like them, you should read the real thing from U.K. LeQuinn. It's incredible.:)

Steve Terry

:o that was it??? Damn yeah I can see where they could of left stuff out, hmm I thought it was gonna be a longer series than that... I guess it did kinda end... but it was too abrubt :(

ReyBrujo

The same happens with LotR or any fantasy book, including Stephen King ones.

OICW

What about Star Treks (especially First contact or Insurrection, but that with Kirk were good too)

nonnus29

Ahh, some good movies listed here!

Barbarella - a young scantily clad Jane Fonda was the best part of that flick.

Soylent Green is awesome; then you'll have to check out the other Charlton Heston sci fi movies: The Planet of the Apes (origionals of course).

David Bowie was in a wacked out scifi movie in the 70's 'the man who fell to earth'.

'Logan's Run' is awesome.

'Dark City' was really great and not what you'd expect at all.

'Contact' with Jodie Foster.

What was the movie with O. J. Simpson were they faked a Mars mission?

'Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow' was an astounding movie.

'Galaxy Quest' was amusing.

'The computer wore tennis shoes'

'The Black hole'

'Escape from Witch Mountain'

'Flight of the Navigator'

'Outland' - Sean Connery?

gnolam
Quote:

... now that's a movie I would actually pay to avoid seeing again. :)

Quote:

What was the movie with O. J. Simpson were they faked a Mars mission?

Capricorn One. Both the book and movie were decent IIRC :)

Quote:

'Outland' - Sean Connery?

Good idea but mediocre execution. The original - "High Noon" - is way better :)

Radagar
Kris said:

Batteries not included!!!!
Flight of the navigator !!!! (unmissable!)

Both great movies. I loved them as a kid.

However, my absolute favorite Sci-Fi right now is a series, not a movie. Only 14 episodes. Although there is a movie coming out in September.
You need to buy FireFly! Of course, it's more about the character's than SciFi. The movie will be called Serenity, which is the name of their ship.

Sirocco
Quote:

'The Black hole'

Second that! I remember seeing that movie when it first came out... ooh... I was a little too young to fully appreciate it. Maximillian was the sheet.

X-G

Quote:

... I'm sorry, what?!

SonShadowCat

I'm with X-G here :o

jhuuskon

My i second the recommmendations of Gattaca, Contact, Logan's Run, Fifth Element, Pitch Black and Chronicles of Rid.d.i.c.k. (stupid censorship) Excellent movies. But stay away from Paycheck, it might sound good but it's not.

How could you forget Cherry 2000, that movie is awesome! >:(

RallyMonkey

I agree about Paycheck. They wasted a perfectly good idea with that one.

umperio
Quote:

Quote:

Don't believe to him if you want to see a great serious science-fiction movie. If you want some kiddish fantasy movie then go for 'Space Balls' or something like that.

I would suggest also 'Red planet', it's a pretty good one.

gnolam
Quote:
I said:

Don't believe to him if you want to see a great serious science-fiction movie.

No, please do believe me :)
If you want to see a slow, preachy, bible-thumping Sci-Fi movie with no recognizable merit whatsoever, go see it. Otherwise, I advise you to stay the hell away :)

Torbjörn Josefsson

Warning: Don't, I repeat DON'T see "Mission to Mars" ..the horror.. the horror..

Richard Phipps

I also like Contact. :P

Besides, it's got Jodie Foster in it. :-*

Kitty Cat
Quote:

If you want to see a slow, preachy, bible-thumping Sci-Fi movie with no recognizable merit whatsoever, go see it.

Oh, I dunno. It had rather good special effects for its time (though it's still not bad). good acting (Jodie Foster, Tom Skerrit, and James Woods.. come on people!), a good musical score, and a very good story which I didn't really find preachy at all.. almost the opposite in fact.

[spoiler]
In fact, it's almost anti-faith with as much as Ellie, the main character, is constantly stepped on and over because of government politics and her (lack of) faith.
[/spoiler]

The end is a good couter-balance to that, though without going overbord.. and as far as I'm concerned does a commendable job at making the viewer think. Movies that are able to do that are quite rare these days.

The movie as a whole was also quite down to earth, so it is what you'd actually term science-fiction, instead of science-fantasy. I definitely recommend it.

nonnus29

Taste differ (obviously) but I really like Contact too. The first 5 minutes were the camera zooms out from the earth is really cool and Carl Sagan is my hero.

Quote:

... I'm sorry, what?!

You guys are nuts, this movie is great. Its cheesy, campy, and old school. Its like a Kurt Buseik comic book on the big screen. Its amazing. It's the only movie with Gwynet Paltrow that hasn't made me puke.

Specter Phoenix

Sky Captain and World of Tomorrow is a movie that came out in October or November. As for Science Fiction movies:

Matrix
Matrix Revisited
Animatrix
Matrix Reloaded
Matrix Revolution
Lost in Space (kind of kiddie but it has Mimi Rogers:))
Barbarella
Outland
Star Wars
Star Trek movies
Dark City
Fortress
Fortress 2 (both of these star Christopher Lambert)
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2 (released Tuesday here)
Highlander movies

There is also a few that I have that have them classified as horror sci-fi on the back of their cases:

Leprechaun(I have the entire seies)
Friday the 13th(the latter movie cases classified this as horror/sci-fi)
Nightmare on Elm Street/Wes Craven's New Nightmare(WCNN was h/sci-fi also)

Note: In my opinion all Christopher Lambert movies are good. Not all of them are sci-fi, though, cause his movie Gideon was a great movie IMHO and it wasn't sci-fi at all.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I liked contact... And the Last Star Fighter \o/

I don't watch movies to rip holes in them. Some of you should try it sometime.

edit: Not to mention Batteries not included, and Howard the Duck!

ReyBrujo

I liked Contact as well. And Matrix... only the first one.

Specter Phoenix

Can't believe I forgot Batteries Not Included, Flight Of the Navigator, or Howard the Duck. When those movies came out I was eager to record them. In November, Flight of the Navigator was released on DVD so I jumped at the opportunity to buy it. Hope Howard the Duck and Batteries Not Included along with the other classics mentioned will be released on DVD soon (like Last Starfighter, Cubed, and Cubed 2).

Chris Katko
Quote:

Equilibrium

I can't not second this movie... the Matrix (One! The good one!) killer.

RallyMonkey

Chris, double negatives aren't not fun.

clovekx

Dark City, Equilibrium, Paycheck, Minority Report, Final Fantasy, Impostor,...

EDIT: Futurama

Specter Phoenix

Mimic, Species, Species 2, Species 3, and try to find any publications from the Sci-Fi channel. The sci-fi channel movies that are actually made by sci-fi channel are great movies and worth seeing.

BOA(sci-fi channel movie)
Python(sci-fi channel movie)
BOA vs. Python(sci-fi channel movie)
Sphere
Deep Shock (Sci-fi channel movie)
Deep Impact

RallyMonkey

A second for Minority Report.

Thomas Harte
Quote:

It's the only movie with Gwynet Paltrow that hasn't made me puke

Even allowing for The Talented Mr Ripley?

Steve Terry

Dunno if these have been mentioned before or not but:
Running Man
Butterfly Effect
Terminator 1,2,3
Jurrasic Park 1
Ghostbusters 1,2
Goonies
Stargate
Final Fantasy - Spirits within
KPAX
Hollow Man
ID4
Big trouble in little china
Total Recall
Innerspace
Fifth Element
Labrynth
Men in Black
:P

All DVD's I own in the sci-fi category that I don't think were mentioned before.

Thomas Harte
Quote:

Goonies

Giant ships hidden underground are from the realm of science fiction?

Steve Terry

Well it's more fantasy but oh well... good movie nontheless. :P

SonShadowCat

The goonies game for NES was fun...

OICW

What about Sphere (if didn't mention before)

Chris Katko
Quote:

Chris, double negatives aren't not fun.

Yes they can be, and it was intentional. :) But perhaps you'd have to hear how I say it for it to make sense.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Chris, read that one again ;)

Chris Katko

Opps! Quick reading! Sorry! ;D

Daniel Sauder

Sorry I didn't reply, I was in Turino (8 hours back to Germany, because of the snow...) for watching the football match Juventus Turin - AC Milan (0:0) :P. The superstars of both teams played really some sh*t.
So here's my list with the movies I want to get. I have to look for the other movies mentioned at imdb.
Event Horizon
Dark Star
Strange Days
Soylent Green
Space Balls
Ghost in the Shell
Barbarella
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Tron
Dark City
Fifth Element
Ghostbusters
Total Recall
Terminator
Capricorn

RallyMonkey
Quote:

Chris, read that one again ;)

RallyMonkey confused. ???

Chris Katko

Note the two negatives in the quoted portion.

RallyMonkey

Oh, I thought he was talking about what you said. I did that on purpose though.

Breakman79

Here's a few that I didn't see listed:

Leviathan
The Abyss
John Carpenter's The Thing
Robocop
The Fly
The Back to the Future movies
Akira

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Theres many I've seen and forgot ;) (that doesnt mean I don't like them... means I have a bad long term memory ;))

And noone else mentioned "The Last Star Figter"? How could you? Its a classic!

Specter Phoenix

I believe I mentioned The Last Starfighter. And I wouldn't really consider an anime Akira a sci-fi because I feel it is so much more.

Thread #441060. Printed from Allegro.cc