Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Overcoming extreme bouts of loneliness and boredom

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Overcoming extreme bouts of loneliness and boredom
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

I'm going to assume there's a negative too many there, heh.

Whoops. Yes. :)

Quote:

He's not being unreasonable in this thread.

Didn't say he was ...

Quote:

No matter how hard you try, just trying to push the notion that thinking positive is going to help onto people like us just isn't going to work, because it's such an alien concept.

I know. It was an alien concept to me too.

The problem with being sympathetic and understanding is that's what I did for Michelle. For two years. At the end of two years, she was in the same miserable state she was in before. I was getting somewhere and she wasn't, because I was doing something and she wasn't. I'm all for being understanding and sympathetic, but to a point. Then I'm just humoring your misery, and that's no good for anyone.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

X-G: Why ... people are starving!? Let them eat cake! ;)
Anyway, just wanted to respond to something from early in the thread:

X-G said:

I know no one reads the stuff I write, but I write it anyway because I want to.

I've read a bit of it -- it's pretty well written stuff, and has interesting ideas within. You have talent; keep it up.

To answer the OP: I went to a better school -- or, better still, I went to a tech college. And, when such options were not available, I read, wrote, and programmed as much as possible. Did stuff that gave a sense of progress; I feel like a better person if I can say "I wrote x" or "I read y" -- and books are a good discussion topic too, if you can find the right crowd later on.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

I'm all for being understanding and sympathetic, but to a point. Then I'm just humoring your misery, and that's no good for anyone.

I can understand that. Like I said, no one expects you to do anything. Remember though, that many people - me, for example - are bad at showing what they really need, and even worse at showing what other people mean to them. It can fluster a person and make them reluctant to ever help anyone again, and it's certainly understandable. No one said we were easy to deal with. Please think about what I said, though - getting in the game with no intention to go all the way is only going to make it worse for the person in question.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

(or my DVD for that matter :o)

I honestly don't know what I can do for you there.
They sent it to you, and called me because it was refused on delivery. ???
Then, I told them to sit tight and I'll figure out what to do. Later, I told them to refund it, but they said it came with software which wasn't returned (which, we both know, it did not come with software). So, I told him that.. and he just kept saying over and over again in different phrases that it needs to come with the software.. so I kept saying it didn't come with the software, and eventually we just hung up. ::)

So. I'd suggest calling them. Give them your RMA number if you've still got it, and explain the situation. Pray that you don't get a chinese man who says "fee gown shiffing" ;D

Yeah, this should be a PM.. but.. I'm already in the thread! ;)

Anyway. I cleaned my room today. That made me feel better. :D You should do the same! Get off your ass, stop using the computer, and do something. :P
Sure.. I paid someone to help me.. but, it got done, didn't it? ;D

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

OK, so 23, are you happy just to avoid these arguments, instead of making X-G feel you won't accept what he says etc. etc.? Remember that X-G, you I think, and someone else (Tomasu was it?) got capped for something like this (unproductive bickering) - let's not let it happen again, K?

[EDIT]
SSC, sorry for not posting anything on the original topic of the thread btw - but I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said. There's some good advice in this thread, and I'm sure you can identify it. Good luck :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Please think about what I said, though - getting in the game with no intention to go all the way is only going to make it worse for the person in question.

I never said I had no intention of helping. I certianly be better equipped to do that if you were local, mind you. :) All I can say is what I've said; I wasn't aware I was joining a game in progress. :) Personally, I find that at least beats doing nothing. If not, I'll just ignore everyone next "I'm depressed" thread. ;)

Quote:

OK, so 23, are you happy just to avoid these arguments, instead of making X-G feel you won't accept what he says etc. etc.?

Hey; I just did that! ;)

Quote:

Remember that X-G, you I think, and someone else (Tomasu was it?) got capped for something like this (unproductive bickering)

Oh come now. That thread was far worse than this one (and still not even that bad, now that I think about it) ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Ah, I think I may have expressed myself poorly. Let me try again.

Helping is a good thing, naturally, but it's a lot of work, and you have to start from the bottom end - establishing trust and all that - and work your way up. This can be a highly excruciating experience, but it has to be done this way. Any other way is a sure way to disaster. And in that case, it's best to just express your sympathy and move on, if you're not sure you're up for all of it.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Alright; I hears ya ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I honestly don't know what I can do for you there.

Yeah.. I know I should call ;)

But really, what about my ram ;D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

heh.. rrriiiiigggghhhhttt. ;)
Maybe when (not if) I win my Million dollars.
I bought 5 tickets at $100 each in a local Cash for Cancer lottery. It's a sure thing, the drawing is on my Birthday. ;D

A million dollars + drinking age = FUHN TYMES 4 ALLL!!!111`11`!!~ ;)

Anyway. Wait to buy ram. Honestly.
About a week ago, the price shot up $10 on 256mb sticks. :(
Just so happens I purchased 10 sticks at $44ea a few weeks before hand ;D

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I looked at the price last week.. was hellish. I'll have to wait to buy ram anyhow, as It'll take me many months to save for a single stick. IF I decide to be lazy, and not get as much groceries as I should.

edit:
FYI, my budget, after rent, for groceries and bills is $232. Bills usually comes to $100-$150 (usually $150). That leaves $80ish for a month of groceries. Now, thats normally not enough for a WEEK of groceries for a normal person...

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I don't want to hear another one of these threads until the stubborn, selfish person has honestly tried to get over it by talking in person to a doctor, a professional, a pastor, etc and making a real effort to follow their advice. Otherwise, you are just wasting everybody's time.

Thank you.

1   2   3 

Go to: