Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Overcoming extreme bouts of loneliness and boredom

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Overcoming extreme bouts of loneliness and boredom
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

I gotta better idea. How about I go out and pay people to kiss!

Now that would be funny. Tape it and show us it. :)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I actually considered doing just that.
I'd call it... womenkissformoney.com ;)

"I've got a brown bill here. It's yours if you two kiss, for 10 seconds, and let me record it." ;)

If only I could leave my room. Then I could work on leaving the house! reaches for refridgerator, inches away

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Just get a mail order bride and be done with it, D. ::)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

SonShadowCat:

Take this test: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Then, take the results (your personality type) and search the net for resources related to people just like you... personality descriptions, discussion forums, etc. You're not alone. There are others just like you out there. Hook up with them and learn to understand yourself better, and where you fit in. It's not likely that you'll be able to change your personality and suddenly become popular party guy or whatever. But, you can figure out what your strengths and "weaknesses" are, and make them all your strengths. Social life isn't everything, by far.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

(not to bring this further off-topic but: )

Quote:

I actually considered doing just that.
I'd call it... womenkissformoney.com

Ooph. I didn't think of it like two woman were kissing. I just thought two random people. What you should do is whoever kisses longer (out of two sets of people) gets $50+-. :)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Phhbbbtt.. $50? I thought this was suppose to be interesting! ;)

I know. I should hold a huge contest, with advertising and everything. One thousand dollar prize, for whoever can kiss the longest. ;)
... afterall, this is the kissing capital of the world right? (do a google, can't find a very good example.. but there's the bottom of this page ::))

Of course, no contest goes without an alterior motive.. so, time to get building computers! That will keep marriages and relationships together! ;)

Ok. I'm done bringing this off topic too :P This post was just wrong..

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

so? When shal I expect my ram to arrive? ;) (or my DVD for that matter :o)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

I`ve got INFP if anyone would like to know. I think I didn`t understand some questions (my english :P) so this might be a bit inaccurate.
[edit: maybe I`m somebody between INFP and INTP]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That test seems like it may be inaccurate at best ;) The test I took a while ago had 1-5 options, instead of just "yes" and "no"...

Theres no way I can possibly choose a accurate answer for a few questions if the only answers are yes and no.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

[qoute]Theres no way I can possibly choose a accurate answer for a few questions if the only answers are yes and no.</quote>
There`s no way I can choose accurate answer for questions in which I don`t understand some words. I think I`ll try again with dictionary tomorrow. :)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Theres no way I can possibly choose a accurate answer for a few questions if the only answers are yes and no.

Same here. Not everything in the mind is a simple yes or no answer. Certain things only apply in certain situations.

-----sig:

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Quote:

On a side note, you must have a pretty crappy gf if you feel "incredibly alone with no one to talk."

No, shes a great girlfriend. There are just factors that limit my interaction with her.

I took the test on windows and I dont have all the info( on linux now) but I know I was 67% introvert.

Quote:

Don't just Force yourself to say something - find some interesting/casual subject that you can 'get into' with this other person

Problem is I cannot find something interesting to talk about with anyone.

Quote:

get some muscle-tone - it will improve your self-esteem, and make other guys less likely to pick you as a target

I could care less about muscles and it will not improve my self-esteem. Some guys are already afraid of me and those that arent dont try anything.

Quote:

Don't live by everyone elses rules

Then i'll be totally screwed till im 18 and can leave.

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

I'd start by not doing crap like quoting yourself in your own sig. ;)

Marcello

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

To 23: Well, then, have you been through severe depression during most of your childhood years? Have you had people telling you to "chin up" without motivating it? Do you know what it's like to be so deep in your own conviction that you're worthless and being constantly reminded of it when people refuse to understand? In short, do you suffer from severe clinical depression?
That's what I meant. Please don't read more into what I'm saying than I am.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Yes, yes, yes, yes (well, I did) and I didn't know I had.

I bet I started seeing a counselor/psychiatrist before you did. Beat Grade 2! ;)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Heh, that would be easy, since I've never seen anyone and isn't going to either. Point is, in that case, you should know that just "dropping the negative" or "thinking positive" isn't going to do jack shit, right? It's not as simple as that.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Point is, in that case, you should know that just "dropping the negative" or "thinking positive" isn't going to do jack stuff right? It's not as simple as that.

Actually, it's very simple. The hard part is in the doing. But I did it. :)

Not to say I don't get a little down now and then, but I'm light years improved over how I used to be.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

You know what I mean. Again, just telling us unlucky sods - because that's what we are, it's not like we chose this for ourselves - that we should chin up is just going to get us aggravated in anything, because really, all it does is make you feel misunderstood and even more alien than you already were. I know it did for me - you might call me living proof. :P

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I should say something, having spoken to X-G on MSN about this thread.

When X-G said "situation" in his second post, he meant his state of depression, not the world around him.

However, X-G, you need to accept that "situation" was very much prone to misunderstanding. 23yrold3yrold and I both misunderstood you. It is not his fault that he misunderstood, so I don't think it's appropriate for you to criticise him for it.

More fundamentally, there's clearly an ongoing feud between you two. Neither of you has any patience with the other. So I suggest we stem the argument now. X-G, instead of griping that one person is being unhelpful, just take advantage of the posts that were more helpful (e.g. Kitty Cat's). 23, your posts are only likely to make X-G worse, so I suggest you don't reply to any more of X-G posts unless you can emulate the helpful attitude most of the other posters in this thread have.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Thinking positive is more than "chin up". It's things like choosing to be an optimist when you could be a pessimist in some situation. It's trying anyway when you could give up and say it's hopeless. If no one ever did these things, no one would ever be anybody. Yes it's simple, yes it's hard to do, and yes it works.

Quote:

When X-G said "situation" in his second post, he meant his state of depression, not the world around him.

I know.

Quote:

I suggest you don't reply to any more of X-G posts unless you can emulate the helpful attitude most of the other posters in this thread have.

I wasn't aware I wasn't being as helpful as anyone else. What would you prefer I say?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

Quote:

That test seems like it may be inaccurate at best

Well, it is a rather simple test to begin with. Yes/no answers just serve two distinguish between the various temperment indicators... E/I, N/S, F/T, and J/P. I've seen a 4 question version (ie the whole test is 4 questions) and you can pretty much get the same results from it. It's not like an IQ test.

SonShadowCat: 67% Introverted isn't the whole test. ;) If you get your temperment ID you can do a search for it on the net. There are whole online communities devoted to each type. I am an INTP, for instance, and there's a site for my type: http://www.intp.org. The descriptions for your temperment indicator are quite interesting and enlightening for answering some of those nagging questions and clarifying your own personality. When you see there are others like you, it's easier to accept yourself for what you are (if there was any doubt) and not be agonized about changing yourself to "fit in" with all the Feeling Extroverts. ;)

For fun, here's that quick 4-question version... http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/tt/t-articl/mb-simpl.htm. It clarifies a lot of the reasoning behind questions in the other test.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

23, you're going to have to realize, though, that just telling someone that is like asking a starving man why he simply doesn't eat. It's just unthinkable, and just comes across as absurd and detached from reality. You say that it's not easy, and I agree, obviously - but then, don't make it out to be an easy thing. Try to have some sympathy.

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I didn't say it was easy. I said it was simple. And I'm sorry if I didn't come across as unsympathetic; like I said, I've been there. I admit I'm being a bit blunt, but to be honest I find you awfully stubborn on this topic, so I don't know how else to be :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

I'm sorry if I didn't come across as unsympathetic

I'm going to assume there's a negative too many there, heh.

Unfortunately cases like these are like Chinese fingertraps. The more you fight them, the harder it will be to get anywhere. No matter how hard you try, just trying to push the notion that thinking positive is going to help onto people like us just isn't going to work, because it's such an alien concept. You might as well be saying the moon is bright green and made of cherry poptarts. You gotta work on it, do what you can to come across as sympathetic and understanding. Don't mention answers at all, just state facts and earn trust; be understanding. Then slowly try to work people in the right direction, and let them spill their guts. I know you're likely to say something along the lines of "Can't be bothered to do that ::)", and that's fine, no one expects you to - but in that case, please be understanding enough not to mention anything at all unless you're ready to go all the way for someone. That's just asking for trouble.

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Someone who agrees with me said:

23yr: Even IF you're right, it's rarely good to tell people who ask for help that they don't have a problem, right? - in that direction lieth eternal bickering! ;)

Admittedly your posts have become more helpful since then, but calling X-G stubborn? That's drawing on the past. He's not being unreasonable in this thread.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

1   2   3 

Go to: