Depot Games: Tactics Heroes
#16 during March 2008
Links: Web Site
Developers: Dale M.A. Johnson
Number of Players:
6 (Turn Based (Local))
Tactics Heroes is a turn-based strategy game engine that seeks to allow creative players to create their own campaigns and multiplayer maps in the style of games like Nintendo's Fire Emblem.
- New units (and temporary unit graphics)
- Unit status screen has been enhanced
- New scripting engine allows you to create your own rule sets, including classes, terrain, and factions
- The ability to create multiplayer maps for specific rule sets
- (Known issues include a problem with faction colors, and one incomplete font)
- Right click on a unit to see their stats.
- You can now drag out paths for units, which they will follow.
- The battle system, though incomplete and patchy, has been fleshed out.
- Unit stats have been redone
- First Playable Version (though not very fun yet)
- New classes: Archer, Cavalry
- New Terrain: Village, River (does not currently smooth correctly), Foot Hills
- If you have more than seven maps in your maps folder, you can now scroll the dialog box to see them.
- Terrain Smoothing
- You can now assign units to a faction
- The ability to save and load maps
- The help feature menu has been completely redone
- Enabled the log in screen
- Added an optional frame-skip feature
- Framework for personal logins added
- Can now place units on the map
- Can now change map sizes
- Map will now scroll using the arrow keys or by moving the mouse pointer to the edge of the screen
- Added a basic title screen
- Added an in-game help guide (still needs work)
- Restarted the engine from scratch
- Bug Fixes
- Additional Character/Class Options
- New Menu Layout
Overall Rating: 5.5
- Fun little game... I like the graphics and the overall presentation. It is obviously still a bit rough around the edges, but that's room for improvement, right? Of course it needs sound, too, and an AI wouldn't hurt either. I like this style of game a lot, though!
- Quite rough on the edges, but there's a lot of potential here. Definitely one to keep an eye on; 4 (has potential) for now, will update review when this evolves.
Dale M.A. Johnson
My name is Dale Johnson, and I am a professional animator and graphic artist living in Texas. (View Profile