Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » I'm not sure but I think the threads lock too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
I'm not sure but I think the threads lock too soon
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

hazzah! Now the server won't freeze for 30 minutes every time someone replies to it!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I also I think they are locked too quickly.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I've been meaning to ask, what happens when the thread count reaches MAXINT?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

If we keep allowing threads to lock, we'll never know.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

It's been rescued once already

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Pumps and a bump

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I've been having problems logging in lately. I think ML is messing with the server to cause threads to lock prematurely.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Most recently (this week) it's been fast again. Like Matthew paid the bill again. That or, his software has some terrible memory leak that explodes over the months and starts slamming virtual memory and thrashing constantly.

I just thought of something stupid, make an Allegro powered website. It manually renders all the HTML/CSS and just sends you a blurry JPEG of the results combined with one of those oldschool JPEG-to-mouseclick HTML with coordinates.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mayhaps the 500 ISEs are slowing down, but I would hardly call allegro.cc reliable at this point. Up and down like a yo yo.

I just thought of something stupid, make an Allegro powered website browser. It manually renders all the HTML/CSS and just sends you a blurry JPEG of the results combined with one of those oldschool JPEG-to-mouseclick HTML with coordinates.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

someone really should start an official discord and post it on the liballeg website in case this place magically disappears one day.

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

rmbeer hates Discord.

Too bad for him. :P It's the defacto standard for communities now.

I'm a member of servers for modding communities. for games. for friend groups. for programming languages. and more. You use the tools people have. Might as well be against git.

-----sig:

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

TINS has a discord at least.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

X-D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Bambams had a discord channel but deleted it. I guess that didn't count as official?

I started a TINS discord server and it's pretty cosy now. I'm also moderator of the Amsterdam Indie GameDev Meetup discord server.

I opened the TINS channel because I wanted to attract new audiences. I know some hate it... but as long as it's optional... Oh you can't please everyone.

I'd be happy to start an Allegro discord server, provided that sufficient people want to join. Again, it may help to attract new audience. And a good fail-safe for allegro.cc.

So, Allegro discord channel, yay or nay?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm firmly for. Toss me in as a mod if you want.

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Allegro discord is fine, but allegro.cc is running out of posting members as it is. Unless it's an official page run by developers I don't think it's worthwhile, unless a.cc completely falls over dead someday. Still holding out for Allegro.cc 3.0 .

APPEND
On the other hand, it's nice to have a mix between a full fledged forum and threads and posts and instant messaging styles like Discord does. I'm all for it amarillion.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Is this a continuation of the "Threads lock too soon..." thread? If not, sorry. :D

I did not get the internal Prime Video transfer so now I'm trying to transfer companies. 😡 (Currently attempting to get a job at Disney, not too worried about the interview process, more along the lines of what kind of pay cut am I going to willing to take...? I make 300k/year right now, roughly, ignoring the stock rollercoaster over the last 6 months. I'm willing to take a 1/3rd pay cut honestly if I can get out of Amazon. I'm negotiating from a strong place. In an ideal world I'll land myself a Senior role at Disney with like 160k/salary/yr and 120-140k/stock/yr, but we'll see.)

I'm working on adding this guy to ItsyRealm:

{"name":"613221","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a374dfa73d29d21c740274f8ea52714.png","w":2784,"h":1816,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a374dfa73d29d21c740274f8ea52714"}613221

(Here's a GIF):

https://twitter.com/ItsyRealm/status/1541217643771863041

ItsyRealm lore if anyone is interested:

Gammon, the Realm Breaker. Gammon is the patron of mimics like the chest mimics, and It manifested itself as a castle mimic. The idea behind It is Gammon is It was killed by The Empty King (god of humans/fate) in a ritual to banish the Old Ones from the world, and then Its body was used to build The Empty King's "Sistine of the Simulacrum" (place of worship; it's the giant purple-ish clocktower in the fog I've shown before). What remains is mostly bone and Its head. You can see Gammon's carcass later in the game, and it looks kinda cool on the ground (super ominious and stuff).

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Discord? REFUSED!!

Discord as I always say is dead, they are only leaving for a blazing publicity all the time.

I already have my social network, although nobody wants to enter it. 😎

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Erin Maus said:

Is this a continuation of the "Threads lock too soon..." thread?

I think it could be... it is what we make of it.

RmBeer2 said:

Discord? REFUSED!!

Who / What will survive longer? Going upstream in the river of evolution is more work than going downstream.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

RmBeer2 said:

Discord? REFUSED!!

Discord as I always say is dead, they are only leaving for a blazing publicity all the time.

I already have my social network, although nobody wants to enter it. 😎

Disco died in the late 70's or early 80's IIRC. Then Boy Bands roamed the earth. Dark days indeed.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm not sold on this whole new fangled "http" thing! Clearly all Allegro needs is gopher links.

-----sig:

1   2 

Go to: