Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Is there an IDE that is compatible with macOS that will autocomplete Allegro5 ?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Is there an IDE that is compatible with macOS that will autocomplete Allegro5 ?
iheartcoffee
Member #16,518
August 2016

Hi folks,

I was wondering if any of you folks know an IDE that would autocomplete Allegro 5 code that is written in C on macOS? I don't quite know how to configure Xcode for it. I'm not even sure if it's even possible.

I'm currently using Sublime 4. It's alright. I'm still uncertain how to harness the full power of it. I purchased it thinking it would be easy to learn. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do much.

I decided to write a Pong game. I've been meaning to write one for ages to test out my C skills. I'm moving back and forth from the documentation so autocomplete would vastly speed up the process.

I'm on macOS. I installed Allegro 5 through brew. I'm debating whether to install it from source to be able to configure with Xcode.

Cheers,

Sean

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

CLion has good autocomplete, but you have to use CMake with it. CLion can automatically manage your CMakeLists.txt for a simple project so that might be ok for your use case.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Xcode will do it, you just need to find out where brew has installed everything and add that to the project settings. There ought to be instructions on the wiki if there aren't already.

Another option is VScode, if you install the C/C++ addons it'll do autocomplete for you (I know it's not an IDE)

I've never used Sublime so I have no idea what it can or can't do.

[edit] I add page to wiki https://github.com/liballeg/allegro_wiki/wiki/Starting-with-Xcode

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I develop on Mac, I strongly wouldn't recommend Xcode. I've never seen anyone use it.

Visual Studio Code is realistically the most popular option.

I use Vim on an iTerm terminal. It has some autocomplete plugins but, I just go by looking up the methods in the manual, tbh. I wouldn't recommend going with Vim unless you really wanna be in a lot of learning pain for a long time.

Sublime used to be popular, but most of the devs I knew that used it eventually switched to Visual Studio Code.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

CLion has become quite nice, plus I'm addicted to their tools through work.

Go to: