Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » 'sup, allegro.cc

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
'sup, allegro.cc
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

So.
What's happened in the last... err... 10 years? since I was last in here? :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Everyone but like three peeps stopped making games. I think there's just amarillion, Frank Drebin, and me. I guess Unity / Unreal are more enticing.

IDK what else, the usual politic/religion super heated flame-filled discussions are still here alive and kickin'. There's a lot less activity, too.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I got married. :o
I "bought" a house with my wife. :-/
Cannabis became legal in Canada. :D
I got a better job. 8-)
We got a puppy. :-*
We're all going to die. :-X

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I gave up drinking, pot smoking and eating crap and got rewarded for my efforts with a giant tumour. So life is about the usual.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

bamccaig: Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! ... well shit.

LennyLen: Eesh. :-/

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I'm still around. If you remember me.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I had a kid, bought a house, became an astrophotographer, and got my first court case. I miss being young and having all you interesting people to look forward to.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I've been married and divorced, and I met the wife I'm with for the last 9 years.
I had 2 kids with her, and we are still rocking ^^
Still working at the same company and also in a little side company as a freelance to make project I want with friends.

I'm still coming from times to times, and I do not fear to publish my code anymore X-D

Ho, and we are all (the country) confined due to covid19.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I turned 40, no kids, no wifey, lots of kitties, no more doggies, still unemployed (almost sort of by choice), graduated with my BS in CS, started and immediately flunked out of grad school, but meh I don't have a lot to complain about. Except dying from the Chinese Leftist Fear Mongering Hoax Pandemic. See? That's satire.

EDIT
This thread has been going for 4 years strong. ;) Join our arguments ahem flamewars ahem discussions

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

gnolam said:

What's happened in the last... err... 10 years?

Allegro.pas (AKA Allegro4pascal) is 98% Delphi compatible. 8-)

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Not forgetting a shout-out to the mighty
SiegeLord
who has been keeping the actual Allegro side of things going for some time now.
Thanks SL!

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Welcome 8-)

I have awaken into the true path of humans (aka i have found the meaning of life)
i have found out that nothing is impossible and there is no such thing as fiction.

oh yah and we are all baby gods

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I see my little AI bot experiment still needs some work.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Thanks to the maintainers, thanks to the host !

:-D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Gnolam - what are you up to?

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

I have a gift for those old cats whom are up in age nearing your end of life from the community.

I am will to share some of the finding of the meaning and knowledge of life with you even if you are not African. My plan was to share my knowledge with the African people first than with the rest of the world. DM and note you will no be allowed to share what i am offering you.

regards
King Piccolo

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I remember everyone in this thread. Most of you even have the same avatars that I remember. :)

Fun hearing from all of you!

Gnolam - what are you up to?

I left the world of awesome radiation research and civil defense and went into industry instead.
(While the work isn't as interesting, it turns out that you can literally double your salary by doing so.)

I've been creating software for a niche industry the past... 6? 7? something like that years. So whatever happens in this current apocalypse, I can at least take pride in knowing that a measurable percentage of a certain industry's software, across all inhabited continents, are installations of something I've written from scratch.

[EDIT] I write grammarly.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

gnolam said:

I left the world of awesome radiation research and civil defense and went into industry instead.

But at least that ought to have been interesting because, you know, radiation ;D

gnolam said:

it turns out that you can literally double your salary by doing so.

Yeah, I've found that too, except in my case I think my salary went up five fold when I quit grad school and went to business.

As far as the OP question: I finished masters, went to a grad school and then found a better job maintaining certain 3D engine used extensively for miltary simulations. Serious gaming they call it.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

bamccaig said:

You have been missed. There's nobody left to put me in my place. :'(

Aww!

OICW said:

But at least that ought to have been interesting because, you know, radiation ;D

Completely different, perfectly mundane industry, I'm afraid.

Though... for some reason, work trips for it have had me fearing for my life more than my personal trips to weird, weird (sometimes unrecognized) countries. :)
(Do not, under any circumstances, try to visit a worksite in South Africa during a strike.)
(Also, when visiting a chemical plant: when an alarm goes off and the people hosting you start running, try to keep up.)

OICW said:

I finished masters, went to a grad school and then found a better job maintaining certain 3D engine used extensively for miltary simulations. Serious gaming they call it.

Given the country you are in, I'm pretty sure I know exactly which one you're talking about. :)

--

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

We remember you too, Mr. Gnolam.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

killocan
Member #1,556
October 2001

Hey! I remember you! I'm kinda of away from programming, my work consists mostly on ETL but we try to call it "data science" so it's fancier hhehehe, still have some game plans on my mind, I didn't finish my megaman clone, which uses allegro. I have a new project, but will use unity because my IQ is too low to compete with what I can do with unity :( Also have a comic series i'm trying to write while i look at my desktop for hours hahaha. I got married, and by now just waiting to see if I'll be sick or not. Every once in a while I come here and look at the forum just out of nostalgia hehehe

Go to: