Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » [TINS] Voting Hurdles

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[TINS] Voting Hurdles
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Hey all! I got really busy with things after the competition and haven't had a chance to sit down and properly review all the games.

I'm having some troubles getting things to work in a Mac environment. I've got a Windows 10 virtual environment setup via VirtualBox. This allowed me to play entheh's entry. I got SiegeLord's entry working on Mac. I can't get Allefant's or Amarillion's to work. I didn't do any allegro setup on this virtual environment which might be the problem.

Images attached of the errors I'm getting. Thoughts?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Sounds like a path or permissions issue if it can't find/open a file. Try running administrator / in a different folder? Make sure there are no spaces in folder paths? (Doesn't look like there are.)

Anyone got a link to those win binaries? I never tested them so I can test on my machine if you want.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Thanks, Chris. Good thoughts. Unfortunately, it didn't work. The windows binary pack is in the depot if you want to try it out. :(

I reviewed the games I could and gave a base score for the others that I wasn't able to review.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Here's an OSX bundle for Dr. Forest: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqpmq5n7vujjgy2/DrForest.zip?dl=0

I had a bit more trouble with Peppy Peptide Puzzle on the account of it using shaders, and that interacting oddly with OSX, but I am sure I can resolve it, just not this second (a bit late here, hah!). I'm getting pretty good at this OSX compilation thing 8-).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

It's too bad you had trouble compiling my entry. I've never tried compiling any of my games on a Mac, and I don't have one laying around either. So I'm afraid I can't help you very much.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

And here's Peppy Peptide Puzzle: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iuleclxjtgpg1uw/PeppyPeptidePuzzle.zip?dl=0

Here are the changes I had to make for this one:

- Switched to using al_run_main instead of the main addon. It's just more reliable, in my experieince.
- The main hurdle was the shader. First, I removed the #version 130 statement, as that caused it to not compile. This is likely an Allegro issue somehow (or maybe one needs to set some special display flags?)
- The shader read from gl_FragColor, which I don't think is valid. I replaced it with varying_texcoord scaled by the bitmap dimensions, and that worked great.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Hey, any chance you can share the fixed source code back? Then I'll add the fixes to the next version.

edit: By the way, gl_FragCoord is available from GLSL 1.10:
https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL-Refpages/gl4/html/gl_FragCoord.xhtml

Perhaps 1.30 is not supported on OS X, but earlier versions are. Perhaps it can be made to compile with #version 120 or #version 110.

Go to: