Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What are you working on right now?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
What are you working on right now?
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Roy said:

Not a lot. My ISP decided to discontinue the webpage service for people so my website with my game suddenly vanished. Not sure if I want to bother putting it elsewhere.

Wasn't Deluxe Pacman relatively very popular? Why on Earth would you not want to publish it again? Setting up a Web site might cost a couple dollars a month, or you could see if a kind soul would be willing to provide you the Web space for free. I'm sure the load isn't very expensive.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I have thought about it. I have zero experience setting up a website outside of my ISP's which was just a small amount of webspace and you FTP'd your html to it, pretty simple. But paying for a website etc... I don't know, it would be nice I guess but.... I don't make any money from my game.

For the time being I have it stored in Dropbox for anyone to download with links to the games on my Deluxe Pacman Facebook page.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The latter sounds reasonable for the time being. Though for what you need I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a free host. Or as I suggested, find somebody willing to host it for you free. Even if you paid, there are relatively cheap hosts for just a basic static Web site. I imagine most would be setup how your ISP was or similar.

I'd offer to host it myself, but I have no experience doing that for somebody else and my quality of service would be shit so that wouldn't be fair (and also, we don't always get along so that could be messy). :P Plus, technically my server is going to be decommissioned on October 1st so I have to find the time to rent a new server and set it up before then... Until then I don't have anything to offer. :P

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Neil Roy said:

You can download FL Studio to play around with, just can't save your work, so I have been meaning to give it a try as it looks interesting. Seem some good Youtube videos of people using it and it looks very intuitive.

You have it backwards. This is how they gimped it, you can save and export your creations, but you can't open them again to work on more until you purchase the full version.

After buying FL Studio, I bought Music Theory 3rd Edition and purchased Game Music Composition for $10 when Udemy was having a sell [which is often] as it uses FL Studio.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I used to take it as a competition to try and make the best clip of music I could in a single sitting.

Eventually I just got lazy and bought it. But some of those clips ended up pretty good.

One day, I'd love to buy a Native Instruments Komplete package with those hundreds of plugins and stuff. Also, a nice orchestra setup.

Back when I was in college, and still experiencing the energy and passion of 20's, created so many cool tracks. Many weren't up-to-par for most people, but each of them invoked experimental stories, and expressed powerful feelings. I miss having the energy to do that. To "feel" super strongly about something--even if that "something" is "wrong" or "shortsighted" in retrospect. Like loving or hating some girl that ends up not being important in your life a couple years later. The feelings are "real" at the time--even if logically it won't matter.

These days all my time goes into my poor health, and getting one step closer to losing my job. :'(

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

This is the first thing I learned to create from the Game Music Composition course:
media player
I need to finish the course, that is the only down side with Udemy courses, you can find yourself taking LONG breaks without planning to due to life.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Neil Roy said:

I have thought about it. I have zero experience setting up a website outside of my ISP's which was just a small amount of webspace and you FTP'd your html to it, pretty simple. But paying for a website etc... I don't know, it would be nice I guess but.... I don't make any money from my game.

For the time being I have it stored in Dropbox for anyone to download with links to the games on my Deluxe Pacman Facebook page [www.facebook.com].

Would you like to have your game on Allegro Planet? :)

The website is super-duper-beta and there isn't much design or usability in place at this point. I would need to upload your content manually for it to be included. But, it would be there and would be great production beta testing data to have while features are worked into the site. And once we have user accounts it would be easier for you to manage your game page. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Would you like to have your game on Allegro Planet? :)

Gladly, if for no other reason than to help out with testing the site.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

日本のどこに行くの?

Haven't decided. Any recommendations?

Quote:

JLPTに頑張ってね!

Thanks!

Who all is in for TINS 2017 next month? https://tins.amarillion.org/news/

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Onewing said:

Haven't decided. Any recommendations?

何で日本語で返事しなかったの? :P

I haven't been to Japan yet, so I can't really make a recommendation. I'd like to someday go in springtime to check out the cherry blossoms in person and go sightseeing near Mt. Fuji though.

Quote:

Who all is in for TINS 2017 next month?

I'm looking forward to it!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Going to Japan to see mountains and fruit? Yeah, right. ::) Somebody's going to be getting freaky in the red light districts of Tokyo. :-*

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

Somebody's going to be getting freaky in the red light districts of Tokyo.

Nah, sightseeing and food-eating is all I care for. I went sightseeing at Yosemite National Park, Yellowstone National Park, and Glacier National Park in 2007. That was a lot of fun, so I think sightseeing in Japan might be fun, too.

But hey, you do you. Don't complain if you pick up a few diseases along the way though. :P And besides... Japanese girls don't shave down there, so no thanks. :-X

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That was a lot of fun, so I think sightseeing in Japan might be fun, too.

I think sight-seeing lots of places would be fun. Doesn't mean I study the languages. There are people for that. :P

Quote:

But hey, you do you. Don't complain if you pick up a few diseases along the way though. :P

I am a happily engaged man. :P

Quote:

Japanese girls don't shave down there, so no thanks. :-X

Nothing wrong with that. :-* Albeit, I'd imagine it varies like any other culture.

While not Japan, an ex-colleague of mine studied Korean because of a foreign exchange student in his high school or something. He ended up moving to Korea on a teaching program, and ultimately "got the girl" (but fuck if I know if it was the same girl). He is still in South Korea last I heard.

I mean, a Japanese girl would be just like any other girl. If you want the lawnscaping altered make an inquiry. :P But probably best to just settle for any soil to ... "work"? Accept it as it is. The things that matter have little to do with that.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

What am I working on? Currently on a whole world rendering engine and getting paid for it 8-) At home, I'm constantly switching between my own 3D engine (started as Allegro 5 project, drifted to pure OpenGL/Vulkan) - I can open the window and render black screen, yay for me :-/ Pumping out levels for Doom was more successful - well, I finished one level and the other one is almost done (need to tweak few things). Most of the time I have a second shift controlling an empire in Stellaris :)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Neil Roy said:

Gladly, if for no other reason than to help out with testing the site.

Great! I've sent you a PM.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

何で日本語で返事しなかったの?

私は怠け者. 8-)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Quote:

私は怠け者. 8-)

Ha ha. Fair enough. :P Here's another word for lazy: 尻が思い (しりがおもい). I think it's hilarious, because it literally means that your butt is heavy... too heavy to be productive apparently. ;D

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I saw some of the GIFs you posted about it on Twitter--pretty cool! Best of luck getting it on Steam!

Thanks! I'm struggling a bit with the AI, and then there is ofc a lot of polish to be done. And then a trailer... So much work to do even when using an engine such as Unity.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Allegro on OSX 8-)

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Thanks! I'm struggling a bit with the AI, and then there is ofc a lot of polish to be done. And then a trailer... So much work to do even when using an engine such as Unity.

How do you feel about all the hate surrounding Unity? I've never used it myself, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Some say it's a terrible engine with inherent performance issues and design flaws. Do you find that to be true? Also, keep us posted when you make a release.

Quote:

Allegro on OSX 8-)

What'd you break this time? :P

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've got live system monitoring graphs I think I mentioned before. Well, I got them to post publically online through a proper DNS which was cool. Then it immediately dawned on me to add user authentication. :) Though there's no real content to worry about, it was better safe-than-sorry.

But, since I've got all that setup now, I realized with a hour or two of research and some simple config changes, I can actually host data files...

So my tiny humble chromebook running Linux with a Celeron processor, hosts an apache instance connected to a domain of mine. You go through the domain, to my router, to my chromebook. Which then connects forwards through some symbolic links to a samba server mounts which are connected to my WINDOWS DESKTOP machine hard drives.

At which point, I had my DESKTOP connecting to my public web server, through the entire chain, to access audio/videos on... my desktop.

But the silly part aside, I'm REALLY impressed with the modern internet. I could literally stream 4 GB 1080p home movies in Chrome. 1080p movies that are being funneled from a hard drive, to a network WIFI (Wireless-N not even AC!) connection, to a chromebook, back to the wifi router, to "the internet" (however many hops that includes) and then back to whatever machine is viewing it. Not only did it work on my machine, but also my brother (on a different ISP), as well as my CELL PHONE on a cheaper telephone provider (T-mobile) and STILL, I could watch movies without the video stalling.

AND, you could even skip around on the video and instantly have it continue playing. No sitting there buffering.

The future is amazing. I've got like 1-or-2 3rds of what my brother's Plex server can do (that he pays monthly for?!) for free. It doesn't work with MKV's in chrome. But MP4s (videos), and MP3's work great.

I can literally watch my home movies on my cellphone from anywhere now. I need to consolidate my many external hard drives to be a more logical media server layout but this is pretty neat! My wife could probably "stream" movies with her iPhone straight to the TV now without having to figure out or worry if they are available on Netflix/Hulu/etc.

Also, while Chrome has trouble reading certain media files, once you get the URL (I've exposed the standard HTTP directory listing mode), you can dump the URL into VLC and hit "load network source" and it'll play anything that it can play.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

How do you feel about all the hate surrounding Unity? I've never used it myself, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Some say it's a terrible engine with inherent performance issues and design flaws. Do you find that to be true? Also, keep us posted when you make a release.

I've dabbled with it and even made a simplistic 3D RPG game via a UDemy course. So I can't really talk about design flaws or performance issues as the game wasn't that taxing on either to get a solid grasp on it.

I've noticed the biggest blow back you face as a indie using Unity is that if you are using the free version, chances are you won't get that many gamers playing it. You can thank the lazy "asset flippers" on steam for this one. The Made with Unity screen at the start is the kiss of death. Jim Sterling talked about this before too.

video

Just like the recent asset flipper that had made 173 "games" in a year or two that was banned from Steam, but the problem was that they would modify the name and re-release the same game again. They went by Zonitron, among others, if I'm not getting my stories mixed up as there have been a few the past year or two getting in trouble for very similar problems.

video

Developing is difficult enough without this sort of shade being cast over games based purely on the engine used.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'd play games with the unity splash if they were good. But Unity isn't expensive either so yeah, "what's wrong with you?"

But assets should be custom! Every game is a piece of art and should have a unique art style. If you're buying (or using free) stock assets they're often not going to "look balanced" with each other across multiple asset packs.

If you care about your game, pay a couple hundred bucks and have some indie sprite dev build you some sprites that don't suck.

Even "programmer graphics" can work if they have a distinct style. But I am so sick and tired of seeing "RPG Maker" games on Steam as if they're real games. "Oh wow! A final fantasy 3 style battle system! I'm so impressed!"

-----sig:

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I can handle asset flips and RPG Maker games, but I've already grown tired of the games that everyone dubs "walking simulators" like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture where you walk and hear voice overs tell parts of what happened. It was good for a initial play through, but I had no incentive to replay it even knowing I had missed elements of the story. At least with asset flips and RPG Maker they usually have actual gameplay to them.I feel like I'm doing a modified version of those early 2000s browser based house tours that realtors started doing to try and sell homes.

Doom as a walking simulator would be remove the fighting, demons, and guns. Then have the player just walk around the level while a voice actor tells you what happened during the levels. They are more like museum tours than games in my opinion.

1   2   3 

Go to: